Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Something that really distresses me after finally gaining rights for guide dogs and guide dog users, are the great number of websites that sell guide/service dogs badges/jackets/photo IDs. Due to this, it will be increasingly problematic to assure trains/planes/cruise ships that our dogs are the "real thing."

Is there anything we can do?

Just google guide/service dogs jackets and you will be distressed too.

Well, for planes the new ACAA laws will make it harder for ppl to fake their pet. Apparently, many of the fakes are being passed as Psychiatric Service Dogs. So now, Psychiatric Service Dogs can be required to have a recent letter from the person's doctor (similar to the letter one can be required to have for an Emotional Support Animal [which isn't a service animal]) in order to fly. If unscrupulous people continue to pass their pets off as SDs under the guise of other types of SDs, the DOT can add safeguards for those types, as well.

The best thing to do is educate businesses on the three questions they are legally allowed to ask:

(1) Are you disabled?

(2) Is this your service animal?

(3) What tasks has he/she been trained to do that mitigate your disability/disabilities?

(If I had a business or worked in one dealing with the public, I'd ask the third question of everybody. Yes, I have heard of more than one disabled person [wheelchair user, visually impaired person, etc.] who fake their pet as an SD, figuring nobody will question them!!)

I'm afraid I would be the one to turn the "fake" in! I'd probably wind-up confronting them; insisting on seeing some sort of documentation that the public venue wouldn't realize the person should be carrying and asking where the dog was trained? What does the dog do? Etc., etc. The "fake" would have "no clue", that some of my questions were illegal (as "Quam" would put it), no matter, I would be insistent! I would then go directly to the Hotel Manager (and, if they were a "fake"), I would request that they either be thrown out or be asked to keep their "fake" in the cabin, until the cruise were over!!!!!!!

Some fakes are clueless, but others have read themselves up on the laws so know what can and can't be asked of a person. Some fakes have gone so far as to train their dogs a task, like retrieving, even though it doesn't mitigate their disability (or fake disability, if they're not at all disabled). Some fakes have also purchased the IDs/certifications from the online dealers.

I worked and waited too hard and long for my service dog to allow ANYONE to "fake-it" with a vest that they purchased "on-line!"

Many real teams do use vests, harnesses, or other gear that they have purchased online. So, be careful as to not make a mistake. Remember that not everybody has certification/ID or is willing to show it to a complete stranger, especially if the stranger is potentially accusing them of being a fake. (The best way to ask questions would be as a light-hearted, casual conversation between two potential SD teams instead of an accusatory conversation.)

It's up to us to make sure that the "fakes" are found out and that it not be made easy for them to bring their "pets" into the public venue!!!!!

Some businesses will not kick out a fake out of fear that they will be sued.

The vests that are given to CCI graduates can not be gotten any way, except thru CCI. The detailed "logo" on both sides can not be easily copied!!!!!!!

I've seen either used vests of copies of the CCI patch on eBay in the past (as well as copied patches and used harnesses from other programs). :mad:

Another reason why "Permits" and documentation should ALWAYS be asked for and shown in the public arena!

Except that it is illegal in the United States for a business to require such paperwork/certification. Not all teams have it, not all teams that do have it carry it with them, not all teams want to show it.

Any paperwork can be falsified, it would just make it more work for the "fakes!" And, of course, if the dog were behaving badly (even if licensed), they could be asked to leave.......................

Unfortunately, many fakes prob'ly would falsify any paperwork if the law was changed to require such. Some have fake IDs/certifications already.

Yes, it is good to remind businesses that ANY dog - even a certified or program-trained service dog - that is misbehaving and the handler cannot regain control (i.e. dog continuously barking during a movie) can be legally kicked out of their business.

I recommend that ALL service organizations require a License (just like our drivers license.) To be given to the person who handles the service dog.

The license will contain all pertinent information about the "Team!" The date of graduation; expiration date; any identifying information about the SD; ie. color/sex/age/tattoo/chip, etc. The name of a contact person at the organization; what type of service the dog performs, ie. service/hearing/skilled companion. The handlers and sd's name would appear on the card.

The back of the card should explain the ADA access laws.

****Until EVERY service organization supplies and requires these I.D. Cards and their graduates to carry them and the expectation of planes; boats; trains; bus's, etc, etc. would be that if you have a valid license and you show it........ you are not a fraud; we will continue to have the "fakes", who think that ALL IT TAKES IS A VEST OR CAPE, and simple words to get onto or into the public venue!!!!!!

****Until EVERY service organization supplies and requires these I.D. Cards and their graduates to carry them and the expectation of planes; boats; trains; bus's, etc, etc. would be that if you have a valid license and you show it........ you are not a fraud; we will continue to have the "fakes", who think that ALL IT TAKES IS A VEST OR CAPE, and simple words to get onto or into the public venue!!!!!!

No, until the LAW changes. Without the federal law being changed, no business can require to see an ID card or certification or some such paperwork. If the law is ever rewritten to require all teams to carry some type of card (I guess they'd say, "Too bad, so sad," for them if they ever lose or forget it or happen to not have it on them because they didn't plan on going anywhere, so disabled ppl shouldn't have the same amount of access as other ppl have :rolleyes: ), only then will such cards matter. But they will be from the gov't/a gov't-run or -approved organization, not from individual schools or trainers.

Not every SD is program trained or professional trainer trained and those that are, not every team has an ID, and those that do, most do not wish to show something just to enter a store when nobody else has to show anything to enter a store.

And if you think things will change even if a new law is put into place, just look at how many ppl fraudulently use handicapped parking spaces, either using a tag that doesn't belong to them or one they shouldn't have (either should never have gotten or was for a temporary problem that they don't have anymore) or just parking there sans any tag. Some ppl just don't get that ppl with disabilities have accommodations, not special treatments. Until they all realize that and get consciences, there will be fraud. :( (And, no, handicapped parking tags are not the same as a disabled ID for an SD would be. If a disabled person forgets the tag, they still have access to the parking lot [albeit not an ideal space and they may have to double-park if they use a wheelchair lift]. If ppl had to show an ID just to get into a store or restaurant, they wouldn't be able to access the place at all if they lost or forgot it at home or didn't know they'd be going into a no-pets place when they left home - all of which can easily happen, has happened to ppl with their SD gear, and has happened to ppl with driver's licenses/IDs.)

Many ppl don't wish to tell others what their disability is/disabilities are, so "type of service dog" would not be something many ppl would want on an ID. Also, lots of dogs are trained for multiple disabilities - cards are small and can't fit all the types on them. ;)

But, anyway, I thought we ended this topic??? Let's move onto something more productive....

Don't know what brought me here to read this. I am AB, and I am appalled that other AB people do this. Is it to just be able to bring their animal along, or is it something else? I love my pet as much as anyone, but good grief.

I have the greatest respect for service animals, what a wonderful and satisfying service they provide. To dumb it down with pets in the mix is just plain wrong and disrespectful.

God bless ya'll.

ala-kat:Thank you for your interest. As a person who goes through life with a Service Dog (everywhere from stores/restaurants/air planes/cruises, etc., etc.) I can tell you that it is NOT EASY to always please everyone in the public. (Especially, those who don't care for dogs, in the first place!) I have gotten everything from dirty looks and verbal attacks to absolute refusal to serve me!!!!! I don't leave; I don't back down....I stand my ground, with my SD and I always win!!!!!!!

Carrying a license (just like those who drive have to) is truly the only answer for the Service Dog population. And, even trainers or Orgs. that don't have these licensces, yet, should start using them; therby encouraging EVERYONE to use them!!!! It would scare away the abusers!!!!!

And, yes there are selfish people in our society who could care less about us or our issues. They want to bring "Fi-Fi" along with them, wherever they go and they know that the only way they can do it is to lie or cheat their way into the public venue!

You're right, it is too bad! But, it makes it so difficult for the rest of us!!! :(

Thank God there aren't too many of them!!!!!

I just made reservations to fly to Eugene, Oregon (through Delta), I was told that the "bulk-head" seat was taken. The reservation agent asked me to wait; she came back to me and said that the "bulk-head" passenger was moved and Brenda and I would be okay to board, now!!!!

On these smaller jets, there is absolutely no room for a Service Dog other than the bulk head. The airline understood, they went out of their way to please me and to accomodate my SD! How wonderful is that????????:)

Don't know what brought me here to read this. I am AB, and I am appalled that other AB people do this. Is it to just be able to bring their animal along, or is it something else? I love my pet as much as anyone, but good grief.

I have the greatest respect for service animals, what a wonderful and satisfying service they provide. To dumb it down with pets in the mix is just plain wrong and disrespectful.

God bless ya'll.

Yes, most of the ppl do it out of selfishness - either they want their pet with them or, in the case of flying, they don't want to pay and don't want their larger show dog (if applicable) to have to ride in cargo. They are the reason the ACAA laws are being changed for so far just one group of people (people with mental disabilities who use task-trained service dogs) and it is written that in the future, if there are fakers in other categories of service dogs, the law can be changed to help keep those fakers out.

They prob'ly also park in handicapped parking spaces just to "run into the store for a minute". :rolleyes:

And, of course, the "celebrities" (and I use that word lightly, LOL!) like Paris Hilton who take their little pooches with them everywhere don't help. :mad:

I have heard stories of ppl bringing their pets into restaurants, sitting them on the seats, and feeding them from the table/their plates! Many businesses don't realize that they CAN do something about this - or they don't want to risk being sued (apparently, even some non-disabled pet-toting folks will be stupid enough to sue under a law that has nothing to do with them!).

And, yes there are selfish people in our society who could care less about us or our issues. They want to bring "Fi-Fi" along with them, wherever they go and they know that the only way they can do it is to lie or cheat their way into the public venue!

They should move to Europe, where pets are accepted in public places in many countries. If they want to live in the US, they need to learn to live by US law!

I just made reservations to fly to Eugene, Oregon (through Delta), I was told that the "bulk-head" seat was taken. The reservation agent asked me to wait; she came back to me and said that the "bulk-head" passenger was moved and Brenda and I would be okay to board, now!!!!

Only supervisors can do the bulkhead seat for a qualified disabled person (somebody with an SD or somebody with an unbending prosthetic), so that's why the reservationist couldn't do it for you.

On these smaller jets, there is absolutely no room for a Service Dog other than the bulk head. The airline understood, they went out of their way to please me and to accomodate my SD! How wonderful is that????????:)

They were following the law, not going out of their way. By law, you have the right to the bulkhead or whatever other seat suits you and your SD best. Those who don't have SDs or unbending legs know they can be moved out of bulkhead if somebody with an SD or unbending leg needs it - they have to be told this when reserving their seat. (Or, some airlines block off the bulkhead and only assign those seats the day of the flight. Or, airlines who don't assign seats must allow you to pre-board.)

The person who made and approved the "bulk-head" seat move.....was a "reservation agent".....she was NOT the manager/supervisor or any way in authority......she was just accomodating and that was, as I stated before, wonderful!!!!!!

Any person who makes your reservation for you has the ability to move passengers and accomodate a Service Dog!

How do I know? I asked the person on the other end of the phone!!!!

Don't be put off by anyone who says they can't help you......they can!!! And, with a little bit of help or information from you.....they will!!!!!

This is important for all who read these boards to know........You DO NOT HAVE TO SPEAK to anyone special to get your reservation needs met!

Although, some cruise lines are now keeping "special needs" requests to a special department.....my TA will handle any of my requirements for Brenda, on any cruiseline.

The individual "special needs" departments will have their various forms that must be filled out and your agent can forward or email them to you.

The airlines only need to see your dogs vest/cape and your through the line......

Once they witness the amazingly good behavior of your dog.......they don't need to see anything else!!!!! They stand in awe at the mutual respect each of you gives each other!!!

You want to smile, really big? Watch a service dog behave when approached by officials at the airport........they don't make any sudden gestures or movements, they don't lurch forward, or pull their handler off their feet, they don't try to lick and smell everyone and everything.....they're a joy and a pleasure to have around!!!!!

I could spot a "fake" immediately! And, I wouldn't be shy to call the owner on it!!!!!!

Another reason some people take their dogs with them and claim service animal status is the cost. I was talking with this one lady in the Denver airport the other day and she was complaining about how much it costs for her to take her dog with her on flights. She flat out told me that next time she is going to say that it is a service animal so he can travel for free. She obviously had no idea of who she was talking to, but the attitude does exist out there.

That said, I know several folks who have service animals but they lack an ID card/vest or other identification. To be honest, they aren't questioned much because they are very well behaved. And as someone pointed out, it is against the law to demand certification.

As long as an animal performs a function to help a disabled person I'm OK with that. I do draw the line at the emotional support pig that I covered some 8 years ago, but porky was pretty big and he took a pretty big dump on the jetway. Not something most well trained service animals would do. He wasn't even well trained for a pig.

Candy

Candy: Your pig story is very funny!!!!!! I have yet to run into a pig/monkey or anything other than a dog that assists.

I, too, am in favor of any service that the animal may perform to help to make their handlers life a better/easier one!!!!

If that means sitting or standing in areas that are not of the "norm", so be it! As long as the service animal is performing with good manners towards others......that's all I need to see!

I have seen some helper monkeys and interviewed some folks who travel with them, Roz. In some airports the TSA folks are even trained about the monkeys and how to ask their owner to take off the monkey's diaper. The people that have the monkeys swear by them. I wouldn't object to one sitting next to me on a plane, but I couldn't really see having one in my own home. Of course if a friend had one, they would be welcome in my home, but I'm just not seeing it as something I'd go out and get on my own.

Interestingly enough, the new ACAA (and yes I read all 311 pages of it) further defines service animals and emotional support animals, and actually *excludes* rodents and reptiles including (snakes, other reptiles, rodents and spiders). Boy, I'm glad they clarified that -- I was really getting tired of those service spiders on planes:)

Your tax dollars at work:)

Also interestingly enough "accommodations for service animals" was the subject that attracted the most comments/letters when the proposed rules came out for comment -- 1100 out of 1229.

OK, back to work..

Candy

Candy: You are a "dictionary" of information. I'm so glad about the rodent and spider thing too!!!!!! I can train and handle any dog/horse and probably a monkey but just put a spider into the mix and I become a screamy/jumpy/extremely fearful fool!!!:eek:

Isn't it amazing how everything has to be "spelled out" for some people!!!!!!

I can pass by a person who absolutely can't keep her/his hands off of Brenda, for their love and admiration of what she does....and, in the very same group will be someone who hates and is sickened by the mere sight of a hairy/four legged animal near them, let alone on the same boat/train or airplane as them!!

The person who made and approved the "bulk-head" seat move.....was a "reservation agent".....she was NOT the manager/supervisor or any way in authority......she was just accomodating and that was, as I stated before, wonderful!!!!!!

Any person who makes your reservation for you has the ability to move passengers and accomodate a Service Dog!

How do I know? I asked the person on the other end of the phone!!!!

Don't be put off by anyone who says they can't help you......they can!!! And, with a little bit of help or information from you.....they will!!!!!

This is important for all who read these boards to know........You DO NOT HAVE TO SPEAK to anyone special to get your reservation needs met!

Perhaps they have changed their policy recently, but every time I have called Delta, the reservationist has had to have her supervisor do the computer entry part. Occassionally the supervisor will also get on the phone with me, but otherwise I only speak to the reservationist while the supervisor just taps whatever computer buttons she needs to tap. I was told at least one time that only supervisors could do it. Not that it is a big deal - it hasn't been that they haven't been helpful, just that they had to get their supervisor in order to do it.

However, you may wish to call back to make sure that your reservation is noted as your being there because of your disability/your SD so that you don't get moved if another disabled person comes along requesting the same accommodation. That happened to me once - the person on the phone moved me, but apparently didn't mark that I couldn't be moved, and when I got to the gate, they told me my seat had been moved! Thankfully, it was easy to solve, as they had moved it for somebody's wheelchair, so they just stored the wheelchair elsewhere and I sat in the seat I'd been assigned long before that day. (The stewardesses knew that man was rather testy already, so they went to explain to him what happened so that I wouldn't face any wrath.) I can't recall if a supervisor had done the data entry on that seat assignment or not - I guess it could be that one hadn't, so I got the seat but wasn't marked as not to move.

Once they witness the amazingly good behavior of your dog.......they don't need to see anything else!!!!! They stand in awe at the mutual respect each of you gives each other!!!

And once some of those K-9/sniffer dog handlers see the behaviour of your dog, they're embarrassed or jealously angry that their barking, lunging, and perhaps snarling dog isn't as well-trained!! :p One out of the last two airport dogs I've seen was actually impeccably behaved, just standing (or was he sitting?) there. The other two, not so much - one tried attacking my SD (who just stood there, prob'ly thinking, "What is his problem?!" LOL) and the other just really wanted to greet and play with her, lunging and almost dragging the poor embarrassed handler towards her (while she stood, staying looking in the right direction and completely ignoring him).

Some of those pets in carriers ... can you say, "YAP-YAP!"?!?! Last year, as we stood at the ticket counter checking in, there was one of those continuously yapping little dogs in a carrier held by a woman in the line behind us. My SD was fine, but prob'ly getting as annoyed as the rest of us were! ;)

And then there are the pet owners who disobey the rules and take their pets out of the carriers, either before or after the flight. :rolleyes: One couple in front of us in the check-in line one time had a large, active puppy they were flying cargo. They had his big crate set up right there next to them, but they had him out on the leash. He was straining so much on the leash to come see my SD I thought he was either gonna hurt himself or hurt the woman who was trying to hang on to his leash! My dog was standing, sitting, and laying there (they were at the counter for forever!) quietly, so finally the puppy got the hint that laying there was the proper thing to do and he did just that. (Gotta love seeing dogs learn from other dogs!) Security stood around at the back of the line to make sure their puppy didn't do anything stupid, but allowed the dog to be out of his crate like that.

Candy: Your pig story is very funny!!!!!! I have yet to run into a pig/monkey or anything other than a dog that assists.

Same here, although I would LOVE to meet one of those guide mini horses! :D I can't imagine international travel would be easy, perhaps even not possible in many situations, with a mini horse, though.

We have never really had trouble on flights in getting the seats we needed. A few crazy moments, but it always works out.

Delta is really the best I have used for getting seats we need. We have found that asking for the bulkhead after you make your reservation online is the best, and we haven't needed a supervisor. Just the regular agent you talk with moves us up to the bulkhead row.

However, sometimes we are lucky enough to upgrade (I fly a lot for work), and having a non-bulkhead seat actually provides much more room for Werin, since she can get under the seat in front.

Northwest has always been good. They have a policy that only Cameron and one other person can go in the bulkhead and they seat me or Susan the row behind. Totally fine, as I know from work how valuable those bulkhead rows are. The only place we have had a little trouble is on the small jets (CRJ and the like) as many times the bulkhead is also the exit row which is not allowed. But the flight attendants have always worked something out to move others or something.

Southwest, although they are my favorite airline, are the worst at allowing bulkhead seats. They are really friendly though while denying bulkhead seats (ha, ha). Actually it is only a problem when the flight is coming from somewhere else and people are still on the plane. Before they let the next group board (including early boarders like myself) they let those on the plane change their seat, then they take the bulkhead row. One flight attendant said to me, service dogs are supposed to be able to fit under any seat, so I won't move them. Well I think the new rules clarify that, and I'll carry them with me anytime I fly on Southwest from now on.

Alaska Airlines caused a bit of a panic, when we showed up at the airport and they had changed all the seats, even though I had called ahead prior to leaving to get bulkhead seats assigned. Impressive though, after my little flip out at the airport, they moved everyone they had assigned to the bulkheads to accomodate us. Great job!

Just made reservations on Amtrak, and everytime I call them about Werin, they seem to not know what to do. Some insist that she has to have her own seat, they always ask what disability (a big no-no) and generally agents don't seem to know what to do.

For those of you who have cruised with your service dog to the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten could you tell me what the requirements are? I would think that for St. Thomas all I would need is the international health certificate, is that right? But for St. Maarten I have no idea. I tried a search but had no luck. Thank you.

We have found that asking for the bulkhead after you make your reservation online is the best, and we haven't needed a supervisor.

That's what I do, too - make my reservation online and then call up to get the bulkhead. They have always gotten a supervisor to do the change for my seating in the past, though, and have told me they cannot do it, only a supervisor could, and it was policy. Do you call the regular line or the Frequent Flyer line? I call the latter.

The only place we have had a little trouble is on the small jets (CRJ and the like) as many times the bulkhead is also the exit row which is not allowed.

I hate those planes! I always look at the seating chart before I buy my tickets to make sure there the bulkhead isn't an exit row, although I've only come across that on an airline that I don't frequent (American Airlines).

Actually it is only a problem when the flight is coming from somewhere else and people are still on the plane. Before they let the next group board (including early boarders like myself) they let those on the plane change their seat, then they take the bulkhead row.

Yikes! That is terrible. Have you complained to the DOT about this? The flight crew would know/could know that an SD is coming onto the flight and either save a seat in the bulkhead (after asking you if that is where you want to sit) or let you on the plane before ppl move (or just not let them move, which sounds chaotic to me, anyway!).

One flight attendant said to me, service dogs are supposed to be able to fit under any seat, so I won't move them. Well I think the new rules clarify that, and I'll carry them with me anytime I fly on Southwest from now on.

Sounds like she's not the most brilliant light bulb in the box.... ;)

Alaska Airlines caused a bit of a panic, when we showed up at the airport and they had changed all the seats, even though I had called ahead prior to leaving to get bulkhead seats assigned. Impressive though, after my little flip out at the airport, they moved everyone they had assigned to the bulkheads to accomodate us. Great job!

I've heard that happens because when the plane gets switched, the computer randomly picks seats for everyone and it doesn't know to look for ppl who need to be in the bulkhead for disability reasons. One time my plane got switched and I thought I wasn't in the bulkhead anymore - the lady at the ticket counter said she couldn't do anything for me, I'd have to talk to the gate ppl. When I got to the gate, they said that row (which was not #1, but #4 or something) was actually the bulkhead (and it was). Then I was on another plane (or was it the same one?) that skipped a few numbers even though the row was right behind the one in front of it, LOL! (These are in planes that don't have First Class, so should start with 1 and be sequential.)

For those of you who have cruised with your service dog to the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten could you tell me what the requirements are? I would think that for St. Thomas all I would need is the international health certificate, is that right? But for St. Maarten I have no idea. I tried a search but had no luck. Thank you.

St. Martin: This is for pets, but most likely also applies to SDs: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/SaintMartin.cfm

Virgin Islands (St. Thomas): Also for pets and is for moving, but would be for any dog entering: http://www.vimovingcenter.com/pets/

Our Dog Club the First in the USA gives certification to the qualified dogs on TDI as well CGC etc.

I personally have seen on Ships abuse of the privlage given...

We always want the best training for all dogs ..yet as we all know it is the person which really gets the training most...lol.

We are always looking for speakers too to show the public the needed benefits as well the Press.

The more which know there more we share the public does care..

If you need to contact us please do.

http://www.firstdog.org

201-722-0001

Thanks for caring and sharing so many nice words about dogs here!:cool:

There is no way that Brenda could fit underneath a seat (in front/in back) or anywhere else on a plane. She weighs 70lbs and is built like a true English Lab....broad and stocky! She barely fits into the bulkhead space on those small jets, on Delta, from L.A. to Eugene.

As a matter of fact, I have to rearrange my legs (I'm 5'10"), just to allow her butt in and as it is, her nose is laying in the aisle!!!!!

AmTrak does not know what to do with Service Dogs. We took it from Santa Barbara to San Diego and Brenda sat by my side on the floor (taking up another seats entire width!) The conductor was very surprised and wanted to know what the dog did, etc., etc. Just the usual curiosity. When I made the reservation, it took forever because the agent did not what to do!!!!

First Dog: I'm curious about your organization and what type of Service Dog training that you provide, what type of dogs do you use and where are you based?

Also, in answer to the question about Saint Martin: We had our Vet Certification; Agricultural Inspection Form; L.A. City Dog License; CCI Permit and my Passport. All of which were current but not done within any certain date of departure (Brenda had her Vet check and immunizations about 3 months before we left!)

Copies were given to the Purser's desk upon embarkation, they gave them to the Immigration authorities when our ship docked at the various ports and we were set to go! We have never been refused admittance to either the Caribbean/South America or Mexican Riviera land venues.

I believe that we have always been given our freedom to go and come onboard and off a cruiseliner because the paperwork was so complete and was given the moment we boarded. We left no room for question or error!!!!!!! Now, if only some of the passengers were as accepting!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Our Dog Club the First in the USA gives certification to the qualified dogs on TDI as well CGC etc.

TDI is Therapy Dogs International, which is for pets who go to hospitals and nursing homes and such to visit people. These are NOT service dogs nor do they have ANY type of public access. In order to get into said hospitals/nursing homes, they must be invited in as a special circumstance. They are not allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. as they are not service dogs nor are they trained to do tasks for a disabled handler.

CGC is Canine Good Citizen, a simple test for pets that the American Kennel Club (AKC) oversees. This test has nothing to do with service dogs nor is it a title on a dog (like show titles) even though some service dog folks take their dog through the test and many folks use "CGC" as a title for their dog. A service dog must be able to pass tests that are MUCH harder and more involved than this test.

Neither of these programs is for the certification of service dogs and neither makes a dog a service dog or gives public access rights. Neither title means somebody can take their dog on a cruise ship.

Yes some of what you posted is correct. I did not say different...

If you read what I said below here..you would know more. Being curt helps nobody.

The Club also was the First in A.K.C. American Kennel Club. Also the largest of its kind. First Dog had/has many members with different abilities as well World Titles from not just the US ..AKC.. But Canada, Bermuda..UK..Etc..Etc..:cool:

They are and have been on TV Movies Commercials etc..etc...

It is appreciated you took the time and trouble showing everyone what some things may mean.. and think...there is never enough time to help all souls learn ..

New Jersey is very well known in animals ..Seeing Eye in Morris County, NJ etc... NJ is the Horse State! The Egg State! Etc...

Did you see the recent Montel Williams Show with Jake the Doberman and his trainer/owner/handler and friend?:cool:

This by the way is the first dog ever to obtain this training ability...:cool:

Have you ever heard of an American Illustrator who did so many nice things in Life Magazine, POST etc.. Norman Rockwell.. the illustration of the Boy Scouts and the Dog etc.. was from First Dog ..where located now and still...

Hope this gives you more information and its actual and factual..

Also again thanks for trying to help educate others .

[/color][/b]

TDI is Therapy Dogs International, which is for pets who go to hospitals and nursing homes and such to visit people. These are NOT service dogs nor do they have ANY type of public access. In order to get into said hospitals/nursing homes, they must be invited in as a special circumstance. They are not allowed in stores, restaurants, etc. as they are not service dogs nor are they trained to do tasks for a disabled handler.

CGC is Canine Good Citizen, a simple test for pets that the American Kennel Club (AKC) oversees. This test has nothing to do with service dogs nor is it a title on a dog (like show titles) even though some service dog folks take their dog through the test and many folks use "CGC" as a title for their dog. A service dog must be able to pass tests that are MUCH harder and more involved than this test.

Neither of these programs is for the certification of service dogs and neither makes a dog a service dog or gives public access rights. Neither title means somebody can take their dog on a cruise ship.

I am planning in taking my SD on a Mexican Rivera cruise in the fall. I know I have to get her international health certificate, which is no problem, through my vet.

Here are the questions/issues I have:

1) Princess has asked for a DOCTORS letter! :eek:

I thought this was in violation of ADA and cruise ships did fall under ADA when departing US ports. Is this not accurate? I did get one but I HATE having to explain all my medical issues with some clerk and having my private information faxed all over. :o

I don't want to make a big deal out of it and am tempted to just send the letter and "make nice" but then it ticks me off and I think, maybe I should call DOJ. :mad:

How would you handle it?

2) Princess wants a fax of her International Health Certificate now. But my understanding is Mexico needs them to be current within 7 days of the cruise.

How should I handle that?

BTW, at first I was told I could not bring my service dog because there were already 25 dogs booked and they had a "capacity". But then several supervisors up the chain saw the notation in my booking months and months ago that I had a service dog. So then she asked to fax in all this documentation ASAP.

I have cruised before getting my SD. Last time we cruised I was partnered with her, but did not bring her. I was miserable the whole time. :(

I felt like my family was babysitting me and I had no independence.

Forgive me for if I am repeating questions on the post. I did start at the beginning of the thread but only got to page 7 and figured I better skip to more recent information or experiences.

I love this thread and all the travel tips I have learned from you.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or help you can give me. :)

Yes some of what you posted is correct. I did not say different...

All of what I posted is correct, not just some of it. This topic is about service dogs on cruises, so when you came on here talking about pets and therapy dogs and how your club trains dogs, at least two people made the appropriate assumption that you were trying to talk about service dogs. Many ppl don't realize that therapy dogs aren't service dogs and don't have public access, so they either try to take their therapy dog places with them or they think those they see places belong there. The distinction must be made.

Being curt helps nobody.

Nobody was being curt. You made a post in a service dog thread about pets and therapy pet training and then somebody asked you what type of service dogs your club trains, thinking you meant the club trained service dogs because you said "qualifying dogs" in a thread about service dogs (which is also what at least one other person, myself, thought you referred to). The definition of the terms needs to be said so nobody thinks therapy pets are different from any other pets in regards to access with their handler. (And, yes, it really does happen where people either think or are told that they can take their therapy pet places with them like disabled people who need service dogs can.)