Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Now, about the woman who was having "I'm the pack leader" problems......she was not having a very good day! Did you notice the vest the dog was wearing and who the training org. was?

I must say I've had occasions when Brenda and I are not "jelling!" That's the day (usually just moments, not a full day) that I put her in her crate or somewhere, away from me......I take a breather and then re-approach my dog skills and handling!

How your feeling and acting literally travels down the leash to the dog.....they know when you "off"! And, they will take advantage of it!

Dogs are always 2 years old (emotionally and mentally) and will always test yours and their limits.....sounds like this lady needed to re-adjust her calm, inner self!!!!

It's also wonderful to watch how easy it is to bring a mis-behaving dog into focus.....it just takes an assertive/fair leader to do it! :)

Do you have a Service Dog?

Hi Roz,

I assume this was an unusual situation - being among several hundred people in a large room - and the dog (who seemed very pleasant) and her owner just weren't getting along in that situation.

I don't have a service dog - I'm a cat person, although I've had pet dogs in the distant past:rolleyes: . So far, technology has kept up with my hearing loss. Until 10 years ago, all the companies were investing in making HAs smaller and less conspicuous. Then came the digital revolution and speech processing. Great advances. Now the industry is entering the Bluetooth world, along with further advances in speech processing and huge improvements in cochlear implants. And further advances in the prices of HAs. I haven't ruled out getting a hearing dog in the future, but at the moment I'd rather rely on technology.

TiredSmile: Welcome! Welcome! Aren't Service Dogs the best thing since, well, since anything!!!!!!!

Let's start with the box.....Build it and they will go!!!!! Practice, practice, practice. That's what we did with Brenda. She had NEVER gone potty in a box before. You can buy some cheap 4x4 pieces (studs) at Lowe's. Nail them together; lay the trash bags (2) flat; put the 4x4 nailed square on top; fill it with wood shavings/sod/or paper pellets. And, start him using this. Once he gets used to it you'll be amazed at how easy it is to pick up or replace the stuff inside.

Don't forget to bring the plastic bags to pick up the pooh, on your cruise.

Princess uses wood shavings, and places the (cardboard 5x5) box in a closet close to your stateroom or on your veranda. They did not provide a recepticle for the plastic bag filled with pooh so we layed the bag outside the box and it was gone the next time we used the box.

Holland America uses a smaller box (3x4) and they placed sod in it. (Once your dog has gotten used to the box, it won't matter what size it is!) Again, they will place the box on your veranda or on an ouside deck. They don't use a closet. They provided a nice recepticle to place the plastic bag filled pooh.

NCL uses a larger box filled with mulch (the best one) and puts it in a closet near your cabin or on your veranda. They provided a nice recepticle to place the plastic bag filled with pooh.

Carnival uses paper pellets. It takes a while for Brenda to get used to them, they're hard to stand and walk on. We finally brought our own mulch to one ship and asked them to remove the pellets. They do not provide a recepticle.

Yes, you may leave your dog in the room. Carnival will give you a sign, to hang outside the room, that states "Do not disturb, Service Dog in room!"

On the other ships it's a good idea to let your cabin steward know whenever you do this.

Service Dogs know how to behave and how to be alone. We have NEVER left Brenda alone......she's by my side at all times. But, you can, if you want to.

Princess even supplied us with a "Doggie Life Vest!"

The ships are so accomodating to you and your Service Dog! They will NOT provide food, you must do that.

Celebrity offered to walk her for me and put the 4x4 box on an outside deck. I, of course, refused, but wasn't that nice?

My favorite cruiseline for Service dogs is......PRINCESS! They are all getting the idea of what to do and how to act. So, I really like them all, now.....in the beginning it was not always this way.....they were learning, like any public venue, they were a bit slow. But, it's much better now!!!!

Go cruising with your SD have fun; venture out......

I do not bring Brenda's crate, you won't have to either.

I forgot to mention: Each cruiseline will ask you to pre-fax all the information about your Service Dog to their "Special Needs" department.

Be sure to have an Agricultural Inspection From (given by your Vet). It has all the information that the Immigration Authorities will need to know about your dog.

Also, have a copy of your Passport any city license or certification (it never hurts to have it all, if you have it), it certainly shuts down anyone who is not familiar with Service Dogs and the laws that pertain to Public Access!:)

Sundagger: A "Hearing Cat".... Now, there's a concept....maybe something in the future!

This would be a good time for a Hearing Dog. Not really a waiting list...CCI is training them right now, more often and having more graduates than ever.

If you re-think your position and needs call them......1-800-572-BARK.

Roz: This is off topic, well kinda. I just wanted to say I love Brenda's avatar. We have a handsome yellow, 110lb. boy. He will be 13 years old in December and is also the highlight of our lives. He is not a sd but has been with us since he was 6 weeks old. Talk about running the house. My sister has a 6 year old chocolate lab. He's also a beauty.

We did the 14 day round trip to Hawaii in 11/06 and met a lovely sd and handler. They were welcome every where and made a big hit.

Have wonderful travels with your dear friend and give her a hug for me.

S.S. Cruisers: Well, you have got me tearing! What is that thing? Someone just has to mention Brenda, how beautiful she is and share something about their own beloved, furry children and I'm tearing.

Brenda is 73 lbs and solid. I didn't get to enjoy her as a pup. I got her when she was 2 years old. I missed out on a lot of wonderful stuff. We're making up for it with all our cruises and travels.

Your boy is 110lbs, wow! He must be gorgeous!!!!! And, the best part is 13 years old! I'm impressed, you're a wonderful caretaker! I baby Brenny so much, even for a hard worker! I pray she lives a very long life!!!!!

I'm truly looking forward to our round trip to Hawaii, in November. Brenny loves the ocean and walking out on deck. She raises her nose in the air and gets in every last ounce of ocean breeze and sea mist!!!!!! She's truly an old sea dog!!!!

Take care and thanks so much for sharing!

Roz: Yes, we take very good care of our four legged "kids". We had a doberman that lived to be 16 years old. We also had a himalayan kitty that was 21 years old. She was strictly indoors and lived a very good life. Our boy is also solid. His name is Renogade or Reno for short. He just got a new kitty in December, she will be 1 year old in July. She stands on her two hind legs and goes after him without any fear. He just looks at her. I take a copy of a picture of each of them when we cruise. Sits on the desk and I get to look at them when we are in the cabin.

My sister bought me the book "Marley and Me." I read the whole book through tears and realize my boy is getting to that age. It will kill us when something happens to him. He's been the best dog. But lets talk about the happy times and the great joy they have and will give us.:)

Nancy

Nancy: I loved "Marley and Me", I can't wait for the movie. I read it onboard the Diamond Princess. Great reading!

Brenny is 8 years old (considered a senior with her service org.) She can work as long as she is willing and able. I want her retirement to be filled with good health and some more fun. But, as long as she gets off her bed and meets me at the door, she's going where I go. I know she'll let us know when she's done and when she's ready to stay home with PaPa. Then I'll go for a successor dog but not until Brenny's ready.

Maybe we'll see you one day, onboard the many cruises that we take. You'll know us....we're the ones with the beautiful black Lab.

Lots of Love and Licks,

Roz & Brenny

Love and licks always welcome! That would be great to meet someday. We stick to west coast, dh doesn't fly. We also have custody of our 5 year old grandson. Reno bosses him around and tells on him like no tomorrow. Grandson says, "Reno won't leave me alone!"

Perfect, unless there's a problem you won't need to hear back.

Immediately after you board the ship, visit the "information or Purser's desk and ask them where the "potty box" has been placed, ask them to have someone physically take you to it. Unless, of course they state that it was placed on your veranda!

Make sure that you have copies of all his/her documentation with you, all the time. I actually had to show a policeman, in Mexico, all of Brenda's papers before he would let me get into a taxicab with her! I keep a copy of everything in a zippered pouch that fits into my packback and or my purse.

You're going to have so much fun.....look out for the "secret patters!" These are people who will reach out to just grab one little pat. They're all missing their own fur-babies that they had to leave at home with baby sitters or at the kennel. I put Brenda in a "sit" or a "down/stay" position and then I allow them to touch her!

• 2 weeks later...
Nancy: I loved "Marley and Me", I can't wait for the movie. I read it onboard the Diamond Princess. Great reading!

Brenny is 8 years old (considered a senior with her service org.) She can work as long as she is willing and able. I want her retirement to be filled with good health and some more fun. But, as long as she gets off her bed and meets me at the door, she's going where I go. I know she'll let us know when she's done and when she's ready to stay home with PaPa. Then I'll go for a successor dog but not until Brenny's ready.

Maybe we'll see you one day, onboard the many cruises that we take. You'll know us....we're the ones with the beautiful black Lab.

Lots of Love and Licks,

Roz & Brenny

I just finished a book called "Paws and Effect". It is about the healing power of dogs and has quite a bit about service dogs. The orginization I volunteer with is mentioned as is the orginization I believe Brenda came from.

If you are looking for another good book on service dogs try: Love Heels: Tales from Canine Companions for Independence. If Marley and Me made you cry, then get out the box of tissues. It is GREAT!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out.

Peter: Thanks for the tip about the book....I'm going to research it now....Just what I need another week of tears.....Brenny has had a yeast infection in both her ears. She had absolutely no symptoms of ear problems, other than some black stuff that was coming out when I'd do her normal ear cleaning (which is, at least, every other day!)

We took her to the Vet last Thursday for her normal, yearly checkup and he discovered the infection in both ears (very indicitive of Labs)....he was apalled, as were we, at how severe it was and she was displaying absolutely no symptoms. He said she's a very brave and tough girl and that I'd better keep my eyes on her even more closely than I do because she, obviously, has a very high tolerance for pain. Well, after two injections, deep cleaning with ear swabs and an ear lavage, I was sent home with Prednisone, anti-fungal pills and a liquid antibiotic to squirt into her ears twice a day.

Don't ask; my beautiful, calm, patient, happy, playful, carefree, loving Service Dog was turned into a; restless, depressed, weakened, fatiqued, anxiety ridden mop of a dog!!!!! Who couldn't drink enough water, subsequently going to the bathroom every hour on the hour and would look at me with her big brown eyes, begging me to help!!!!!! I lay with her, on her couch, with her head in my lap stroking her face and singing to her!

The steroids are taking away the inflammation and her beautiful personality.....it's very painful to watch and as you can imagine, the past week has been horrendous for all. I haven't slept well, either has she.....I'm up checking on her every few hours....she's acting so differently that my fears were that she'd die while I was sleeping......I know, I know a bit overly dramatic but I can't tell you how important she is in my life, my heart and my soul and watching her like this is the worst!

She starts tapering off the steroids today and won't be completely off of them for another two weeks. As you know, you just can't stop them "cold turkey"! Hopefully, my beautiful girl will re-appear as soon as she's totally off of them.

I don't know if I would ever let a doctor put her on steroids again.

Okay! I'm sorry for going on-and-on......and, I'm sure you've all had some sort of health issues with your dogs but it still doesn't take away the anxiety of it all......(at least for me!)

I raised three children and helped to raise 6 grands.....you'd think I'd toughen-up by now!!!!!! GEEEEZZZZZ!!!!:o

Poor Bren and poor you! That sounds terrible. Luck beyond luck, nothing has gone wrong yet with Werin (except our constant struggle with weight and keeping her close to target). She's 5 now and still going strong.

You're right -- cruising is the ticket -- maybe you can sneak off to the Eurodam. The posts this week look really great.

Peter: Thanks for the good wishes!! Werin is young and you really did get lucky! By the time Brenny was 2 she had had one cancer surgery (on her leg), (about 2 months after we got her home from Team Training) and 1 other ear infection although not as severe as this one and has grown several tumors in her rib cage and tummy (they're benign and are examined often.)

Eventually, if the tumors grow larger, she will have to have surgery! It's no big deal, you can't see them, they don't bother her....it's the Lab thing - along with easy weight gain and ear infections. :(

My next service dog will be a Chihuahua!!!!!! :p

I hear y'all. I'm going through a health problem with my SD right now, too. Am trying to wait patiently for the results of the blood work (complete testing for the issue - the first test showed there was a problem, this round will show what exactly it is and if it is what I think it is [and hope it is, as it is the much better of the two things it can be], what the treatment will be). It definitely is not fun!!!

I wonder where the vets are going on vacation this year - I think I'm paying for it! LOL!!!!!!!! ;)

Roz and the others with fur baby illness'. They are worst than our kids because they can't tell us what hurts! My heart hurts for all the babies. My big guy is laying in the kitchen on the tile floor trying to stay cool. He only goes outside when he has too. 107 and above the last couple of days. It just drains him. He does have a wading pool and steps in it and splashes water on his tummy with his front paws. Prayers and good wishes for fast recovery of your babies.

Nancy