Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Congrats Roz. Getting your date must be like having a baby and knowing when the doctor will induce if it doesn't come on its own. It's great that everything came together for you. When my husband was at the Seeing Eye, I believe he started his day rather early and had classes well into the evening. I bet your weather in the late fall will be better than NJ in the summer. Good luck. I hope your match is everything you wish for!

When I initially interviewed with CCI, 9 years ago, I was asked to walk with a huge Golden Retriever named Bracko.....He was enormous, with the most gorgeous fur/hair that I've ever seen on a dog. As I waited for the next two years [waiting for Brenda], all I dreamt about was a dog like Bracko; big, golden hair Retriever......What I received was the complete and total opposite. When the trainers handed me Brenda, I wasn't ready for her........

At first I was so disappointed and only wanted a yellow colored dog........I changed my mind after 2 weeks with Brenda and her sparkling and delightful personality. I've learned, through her, that the dog shines through......no matter what color they are!!!!!!

So excited for you Roz! Of course you're going to get a yellow dog. That way (like me) you'll have dog hair showing no matter what color slacks you wear! :) But seriously, whatever he looks like, I'm sure he'll be a perfect addition to the "Wizard of Roz" family.

I'm sad though that you and Miz Brenny won't be able to take that December Sapphire cruise with us. Maybe you'll get a Christmas cruise in next year.

Kathi

Congrats Roz. Getting your date must be like having a baby and knowing when the doctor will induce if it doesn't come on its own. It's great that everything came together for you. When my husband was at the Seeing Eye, I believe he started his day rather early and had classes well into the evening. I bet your weather in the late fall will be better than NJ in the summer. Good luck. I hope your match is everything you wish for!

Thank you so much.....it seems that all is coming together....I hope the dog continues to do well.

The weather in northern California, in December is perfect for training. Not too hot and not too cold. There will be that wonderful joy in the air that comes between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I trust CCI and their "matching" abilities. The match between Brenda and I was absolutely perfect! She is definitely the dog version of me!

This is a very exciting time for all of us!

So excited for you Roz! Of course you're going to get a yellow dog. That way (like me) you'll have dog hair showing no matter what color slacks you wear! :) But seriously, whatever he looks like, I'm sure he'll be a perfect addition to the "Wizard of Roz" family.

I'm sad though that you and Miz Brenny won't be able to take that December Sapphire cruise with us. Maybe you'll get a Christmas cruise in next year.

Kathi

Kathi, I wear black slacks with different colored blouses and jackets.......I've been warned by friends that if I get a light colored dog that I might want to rethink my wardrobe. I'll wear the yellow hair with pride!!!!!!

It's so funny but one of the things that I did think about when the trainer told me the date was the December cruising calendar.....once a dedicated cruiser, always a dedicated cruiser!!!! I think I'll keep my March 24th cruise intact and will look forward to taking my new handsome boy on his first cruise!!!!!

Nancy, I cried too! And, yes, I told Brenny she's getting a baby brother.....I told her that I have to learn how to say, "good boy" or "atta boy" and she'll need to be patient and loving........she doesn't have to be perfect.....but, she's not allowed to growl or act mean! She just looks at me like......."okay, Blondie, where's my treat!"

It's very exciting for all of us! PaPa loves the idea of having Brenny all to himself. She's great company!

Now thats funny.....

Boy, when they see me in person [Team Training], I'll have to wear a disquise so they don't beat me up for being such a pest or, the dog that they decide is perfect for me will be a Rottweiler!!!!

One thing for sure that dog would get more respect than any here..... lol

CCI CALLED: It's a boy!!!!!!! That's all they would tell me about the dog. He's also very stubborn and refuses to learn some of his commands and they don't think he'll be ready by September 18th.

Listen to this: They're creating a "Private Class" for me and "Successor" and two trainers for the week of December 5th - December 11th. They feel he'll be ready by then. It will be intense. Early in the morning until 6:00pm. I asked if they've done this before.....she said yes! I've never heard of it.

I won't be in a class for two weeks, I won't have a graduation ceremony, it'll be just me and the dog and the trainers. Living in the Dorm, by myself! They'll hand me my dog after 6 days of intense training and familiarzation; with a trip to the mall, lots of commands and waahlah.....we're done!!!!!

I asked what color he was, I asked what his name was and she said she couldn't tell me!!!!!! She said; "just in case it doesn't work-out, they'll have a "back-up" dog!"

So, Brenda and I get to cruise on September 24th......Yippeee!!!!!! I'm very happy about that!!!!

Thank you all for being THERE for me and [as usual] and for being such a great support system......I have to start practicing my "good boys" instead of "good girls!" I love male dogs!

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!

Looks like all your planets finally lined up and fired away and you got 4 aces!!! Congrats; I am so happy for you.

CCI CALLED: It's a boy!!!!!!! That's all they would tell me about the dog. He's also very stubborn and refuses to learn some of his commands and they don't think he'll be ready by September 18th.

Listen to this: They're creating a "Private Class" for me and "Successor" and two trainers for the week of December 5th - December 11th. They feel he'll be ready by then. It will be intense. Early in the morning until 6:00pm. I asked if they've done this before.....she said yes! I've never heard of it.

I won't be in a class for two weeks, I won't have a graduation ceremony, it'll be just me and the dog and the trainers. Living in the Dorm, by myself! They'll hand me my dog after 6 days of intense training and familiarzation; with a trip to the mall, lots of commands and waahlah.....we're done!!!!!

I asked what color he was, I asked what his name was and she said she couldn't tell me!!!!!! She said; "just in case it doesn't work-out, they'll have a "back-up" dog!"

So, Brenda and I get to cruise on September 24th......Yippeee!!!!!! I'm very happy about that!!!!

Thank you all for being THERE for me and [as usual] and for being such a great support system......I have to start practicing my "good boys" instead of "good girls!" I love male dogs!

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!

See...and you were worried. WOW...a special class! I guess that means your our "special student". And all it took was an earthquake and hurricane all in the same week here on the east coast to get things moving over there. Now go and enjoy that cruise and look forward to class and new memories with your new best friend.

See...and you were worried. WOW...a special class! I guess that means your our "special student". And all it took was an earthquake and hurricane all in the same week here on the east coast to get things moving over there. Now go and enjoy that cruise and look forward to class and new memories with your new best friend.

Yeah or maybe she has special powers or friends in high places to get get things resolved her way. Talk abut getting assitance from a friend in a higher place..... lol

Looks like all your planets finally lined up and fired away and you got 4 aces!!! Congrats; I am so happy for you.

Thanks. I'm happy for me too! I hope all's well in your world. You too, have had some very positive things happen in your world. Life is good!!!! ;)

It's such a great relief to know that everything is coming together. I hope your world is good there and that you and your family didn't suffer any damage with the winds & rain.

I am so looking forward to Brenda's last cruise on Sept. 24th.......we're going to celebrate and enjoy each other's company. Soon, there will be a "pup" to get in her way and share her space, it's going to be interesting!

Thank you for being such a great "cyber-friend" and for all your great advice.

Well I hope Roz finally had a good nights sleep. I'm just so happy for you. I hope Brenny will fall in love with the new baby just like Bailee did...well after a while she did. After being attacked she was very hesitant about being friendly but I remember how Wex just wouldn't let up, laying with her and kissing her all the time. She just couldn't resist. You will just love how the youngster brings life back into old girl. The two would chase the ball, he would get there first of course andrun like the wind. Then he would stop and wait for her to catch up. It was awesome. I am so excited.

Mornin' all:

:D Big smile on my face. Of course I keep visualizing what the new pup will look like. Big, yellow? Black? Setter, Lab, or of course Rottie! I just thought I would throw that in. :p

We're smiling together, Nancy. I'm so thrilled that it's a boy. And, something inside tells me he's a blonde. Nancy, I really would be happy with any color......but, deep down in my heart of hearts I'd love a big/blonde/boy!!!!!

Now, a Rotty would be very scary! A Rotty and Roz, now there's a pair!!!!

Well I hope Roz finally had a good nights sleep. I'm just so happy for you. I hope Brenny will fall in love with the new baby just like Bailee did...well after a while she did. After being attacked she was very hesitant about being friendly but I remember how Wex just wouldn't let up, laying with her and kissing her all the time. She just couldn't resist. You will just love how the youngster brings life back into old girl. The two would chase the ball, he would get there first of course andrun like the wind. Then he would stop and wait for her to catch up. It was awesome. I am so excited.

Oh! Cindy! I had forgotten about the stories that you would share with us about Bailee and Wex when they first met. I loved hearing them. It's almost the same as Brenny and "Newbie".......CCI dogs are so engaging with each other, it's so much fun to watch them on the play field together. They don't fight, they just push and shove and position themselves, hopefully, that's what ours will do......we'll see.

I look forward to the "pup" bringing out the "girl" in Brenny [although, she's still very playful] by herself. Oddly, when Brenda is around other dogs she doesn't interact with them much, except to "boss" them around.....it will be interesting to see how she accepts her new housemate! She's NEVER shared her spaces with anyone. Morey and I give her and give her and give her!!!! Because she's such a respectful and wonderful dog it's easy to just give to her.

The dogs need to know that I'm the boss.....[i MUST be strong] and they're just the "worker-bees!" Can I do it? Can I do it? I mean; I can do it, I CAN DO IT! :o

I totally believe in the power of prayer. If I ever had a brother it would be Calvin; he was there for me and I hope I was there for him in the past. I know he needs me now at least in spirit and until I can get to Ohio. This past weekend Calvin (in middle) and his wife were biking (they are avid motorcyclists) and the details are fuzzy right now since I haven't been able to speak with Calvin and only exchanging information via text message right now. From what I understand Tonya ws riding her motorcycle and she dropped the bike; I dont know if she was hit or how she dropped the bike. What I do know is she is in the ICU and on a ventilator and others life support devices. I am currently trying to get things set up here so I can leave this friday to visit them. With this being a holiday weekend most people are either out of town or the vets/kennels are already over booked.

Please say a prayer for them.

Thank you.

75817_453347126021_508476021_5993493_4472999_n.jpg

Jocko on left, Calvin in center, Tonya on right

Edited by guitarest

I totally believe in the power of prayer. If I ever had a brother it would be Calvin; he was there for me and I hope I was there for him in the past. I know he needs me now at least in spirit and until I can get to Ohio. This past weekend Calvin (in middle) and his wife were biking (they are avid motorcyclists) and the details are fuzzy right now since I haven't been able to speak with Calvin and only exchanging information via text message right now. From what I understand Tonya ws riding her motorcycle and she dropped the bike; I dont know if she was hit or how she dropped the bike. What I do know is she is in the ICU and on a ventilator and others life support devices. I am currently trying to get things set up here so I can leave this friday to visit them. With this being a holiday weekend most people are either out of town or the vets/kennels are already over booked.

Please say a prayer for them.

Thank you.

75817_453347126021_508476021_5993493_4472999_n.jpg

Jocko on left, Calvin in center, Tonya on right

Sorry about your friend. I will say a prayer for her.

So, Brenda's going on her LAST CRUISE [her 15th] on September 24th. I have the most gorgeous collars [some of which she's never worn], that I'm going to bring. She will wear a different one every day.

I usually take, at least, one formal shot of her [either near the staircase, on deck 5, or with some really neat backdrop in the background] on formal nights. The photographers love me...I'm such a sucker for pictures of Brenda.

Do you guys have any great suggestions for this last cruise for Brenda? I'm running out of ideas.

The Meet & Greet group is absolutely amazing. It's huge and some of the nicest people have been blogging about meeting before and during the cruise. Sometimes, you get really lucky with the group of people you cruise with. I'm so happy that it worked out that I can take this cruise with my girl.

How bout trying to get a picture of her and the captain on the bridge? It could be Brenda's "change of career" picture. She's now the new captain.

I knew I could count on you!

True story: We went to the Captains Cocktail Party-we're sitting and waiting for the Captain to arrive-Suddenly, someone grabs Brenda's leash out of my hand [it was the Captain, onboard the Golden Princess] - He took Brenda on stage with him and said that she was his very favorite passenger EVER!!!!!

He was a great guy - what a great picture that was!

I knew I could count on you!

True story: We went to the Captains Cocktail Party-we're sitting and waiting for the Captain to arrive-Suddenly, someone grabs Brenda's leash out of my hand [it was the Captain, onboard the Golden Princess] - He took Brenda on stage with him and said that she was his very favorite passenger EVER!!!!!

He was a great guy - what a great picture that was!

Now your gonna have to put away all those froo-froo collars and get a tux for "he who can not be named yet" for those formal nights.

I hate rain (sorry for stealing away your Thunder Roz..... pun intended). The first half of the year was so freaking dry we were under burn bans and such. About a 3 months ago it started raining and raining and we are no longer under a burn ban. In fact this weekend we could get upwards to 20 inches of rain due to that tropical wave (or what ever it is) right outside my front door.......

OK back to you fair weather people..... :)

Edited by guitarest

I hate rain (sorry for stealing away your Thunder Roz..... pun intended). The first half of the year was so freaking dry we were under burn bans and such. About a 3 months ago it started raining and raining and we are no longer under a burn ban. In fact this weekend we could get upwards to 20 inches of rain due to that tropical wave (or what ever it is) right outside my front door.......

OK back to you fair weather people..... :)

Not to change the subject.....How's your friends wife?