Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Heeelllloooo! Where is everyone? Hope all is well and you guys are just busy..............

So busy.....Well, the countdown for "Successor" is really getting closer. I'm still waiting for the paperwork so that I can turn it into my employer.

Time used for acquiring my Service Dog will be charged to "sick time" and not to "vacation time." I'd rather save my vacation time for true vacations [like cruising!] ;)

Our next cruisers are Cindy, John & Wex. I'd love to be on that ship with them.

Heeelllloooo! Where is everyone? Hope all is well and you guys are just busy..............

Sorry to leave you alone Nancy.

I have been sick with a horrible cold and cramps at the same time. :eek: Unfortunately I told my mom and son that I would be home Sunday so I sucked it up and went to CT. Of course knowing I was sick, my son had 2 loads of laundry waiting when I got home from taking mom on errands :( I'm pooped and John keeps making me go for walks telling me the sun will suck the cold right out of me. Calgon take me away!:D We have the wedding up in NH this weekend so as long as I am well for that I will be happy.

So busy.....Well, the countdown for "Successor" is really getting closer. I'm still waiting for the paperwork so that I can turn it into my employer.

Time used for acquiring my Service Dog will be charged to "sick time" and not to "vacation time." I'd rather save my vacation time for true vacations [like cruising!] ;)

Our next cruisers are Cindy, John & Wex. I'd love to be on that ship with them.

Wow Roz, it is getting close for Mr. Successor, even though 1 months 3 weeks and 5 days is really 2months . Look at my countdown clock, same thing. That is great that your work will let you use sick time instead of vacation time. Our final payment is due the 25th of this month...ugh. Luckily it will go on the next months visa cuz the flight and alot of other things are on this months. I never thought any of us would ever cruise together, but now that you ans Sunshine made it happen, I have hope we will meet someday.

On a totally non related note, one day I was coughing like crazy and just couldn't stop so I went online and read some remedies. Well one of them work unbelieveable for me. It's just fresh lemon, honey and warm water(to melt honey) mix together and then I put it in the fridge. A couple spoonfuls and my cough stops! Just a helpful hint from the book of Cindy and her wierd life!:D

Edited by rangeley

Cindy, I love the honey and lemon remedy, but I find it works a bit better if you add some Jack Daniels;).

Roz, I miss you and Brenda! I feel like we need to post together, maybe try some more rhymes...and you know Brenny wants to snuggle with me and "scamper" to me when I call her with my own puppy charm!! Thank you again for letting me cruise with both of you. I think it was just what the Doctor ordered for both of us!

Sorry to leave you alone Nancy.

I have been sick with a horrible cold and cramps at the same time. :eek: Unfortunately I told my mom and son that I would be home Sunday so I sucked it up and went to CT. Of course knowing I was sick, my son had 2 loads of laundry waiting when I got home from taking mom on errands :( I'm pooped and John keeps making me go for walks telling me the sun will suck the cold right out of me. Calgon take me away!:D We have the wedding up in NH this weekend so as long as I am well for that I will be happy.

Geeeez! Is there anything else they want you to do? Seems to me, missy, your plate is full!!!!! Sometimes it's easier doing the son's laundry than having him mess with the machines and breaking them!!!!! If you know what I mean! :p

Wow Roz, it is getting close for Mr. Successor, even though 1 months 3 weeks and 5 days is really 2months . Look at my countdown clock, same thing. That is great that your work will let you use sick time instead of vacation time. Our final payment is due the 25th of this month...ugh. Luckily it will go on the next months visa cuz the flight and alot of other things are on this months. I never thought any of us would ever cruise together, but now that you ans Sunshine made it happen, I have hope we will meet someday.

On a totally non related note, one day I was coughing like crazy and just couldn't stop so I went online and read some remedies. Well one of them work unbelieveable for me. It's just fresh lemon, honey and warm water(to melt honey) mix together and then I put it in the fridge. A couple spoonfuls and my cough stops! Just a helpful hint from the book of Cindy and her wierd life!:D

Pretty neat having us cruise together.....Heck, we not only cruised together, we slept together!!!!!! :D

This is the same remedy my MaMa would use back in the 60's!!!!! Glad to see it's still working!

Cindy, I love the honey and lemon remedy, but I find it works a bit better if you add some Jack Daniels;).

Roz, I miss you and Brenda! I feel like we need to post together, maybe try some more rhymes...and you know Brenny wants to snuggle with me and "scamper" to me when I call her with my own puppy charm!! Thank you again for letting me cruise with both of you. I think it was just what the Doctor ordered for both of us!

Thank you, sweet Sunshine, you're a delightful lady and I'm glad that we got to meet the way we did. It was perfect. You made Brenda feel so good with your happy voice and pat's. And, you certainly covered me well! You should rent yourself out to folks who have to be "bombarded" with questions about their Service Dogs. Thanks so much for having my back!!!!! ;)

When I get back on that ship in March, it won't feel the same without you.

Take good care of you!

Thank you, sweet Sunshine, you're a delightful lady and I'm glad that we got to meet the way we did. It was perfect. You made Brenda feel so good with your happy voice and pat's. And, you certainly covered me well! You should rent yourself out to folks who have to be "bombarded" with questions about their Service Dogs. Thanks so much for having my back!!!!! ;)

When I get back on that ship in March, it won't feel the same without you.

Take good care of you!

Are you Sunshines agent? I would love to rent her!

Are you Sunshines agent? I would love to rent her!

Cindy, she would make it so much easier for me by "fielding" all the questions about Service Dogs; their access, what the different types are, where they exercise, where they go potty and on and on!!!!!! She allowed me to just vacation and smile! Pretty nifty, eh?

Maybe this could be a career move for her, of course it means we'd have to take turns abusing her!!!! :p

Cindy, she would make it so much easier for me by "fielding" all the questions about Service Dogs; their access, what the different types are, where they exercise, where they go potty and on and on!!!!!! She allowed me to just vacation and smile! Pretty nifty, eh?

Maybe this could be a career move for her, of course it means we'd have to take turns abusing her!!!! :p

She seems to be good at all the questions, I think you should hire her out! Anyone asks a question and we can say "speak to my agent". Sounds great to me!:D

She seems to be good at all the questions, I think you should hire her out! Anyone asks a question and we can say "speak to my agent". Sounds great to me!:D

That's precisely what it was like. I could just keep on walking, without having to stop to answer the same question over and over and over again.

There's a definite balancing act that goes on between all that we get from our dogs and the all the time that it takes to get from one place to another with them. Especially, onboard a cruise ship.

When the crowds are not around and we're left on our own, we can just be "us!" Getting through each day helping one another; me; brushing, grooming, feeding and her attentively paying attention to anything and everything in my environment.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

That's precisely what it was like. I could just keep on walking, without having to stop to answer the same question over and over and over again.

There's a definite balancing act that goes on between all that we get from our dogs and the all the time that it takes to get from one place to another with them. Especially, onboard a cruise ship.

When the crowds are not around and we're left on our own, we can just be "us!" Getting through each day helping one another; me; brushing, grooming, feeding and her attentively paying attention to anything and everything in my environment.

Sunshine does brushing, grooming and feeding? Does she do potty breaks too?? Wex also requires atleast 3 hours of belly rubs a day. It's a tough job.

Edited by rangeley

Just want to send out a WOOOOOHOOOO to CCI for getting an A+ accreditation from ADI!!! The assessor said it was the first accreditation she had done that did not require any modifications. Way to go CCI!!!! :D

It doesn't surprise me at all. I thought CCI was a class act the day I walked onto their Santa Rosa Campus in 2000. I was expecting to have my in person interview at a "dog kennel" and, I wouldn't have been disappointed if it were. But, what I saw was amazing. The grounds in Santa Rosa, dedicated to dogs and people who need them, took my breath away!

Kudos to CCI and the wonderful folks who work with and for them. Thank you Charles & Jean Shultz, Peanuts & Charlie Brown and a special shout out to Dean & Gerta Koontz & Trixie.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Sunshine does brushing, grooming and feeding? Does she do potty breaks too?? Wex also requires atleast 3 hours of belly rubs a day. It's a tough job.

Well, we didn't expect our friend Sunshine to do the boring stuff just the hard stuff......like keeping the paparazzi back!

Actually I referred to myself as Roz's publicist a few times. Especially to the passengers who followed her to the potty box to view nature in action. Poor Brenny. I met them in the hall and asked them to please discuss me first any further interactions. If only I could have kept a straight face. (but they did get a nice lecture ....with southern manners...on appropriate behavior...).

I had a GREAT time. And if I could make a living going on cruises with service dogs andtheir wonderful people I would retire tomorow. (maybe not).

As it was, I enjoyed my celebrity status and of course would love to meet the rest of this wonderful group.

On a side note between being a natural early riser and on east coast time I would always wake up first. I would make my way on deck for some early morning walking and then to the buffet for coffee. By the time I got back to the cabin Roz and Brenny would be up. One morning, Roz was still asleep, and after Brenny and I had an early morning conversation...I tried to take her to the potty. She loved me and I think if I had put a leash on her she would have gone, but, wasn't really interested. So, I proceeded to let her snuggle with me while I read. I found out later, Roz had already been up to take her to her comfort station. She just wanted some Aunt Sunshine Snuggles.....So, Wex, Orson, and the rest, who wants to snuggle with Aunt Sunshine??????

Ms. Aunte Sunshine: Ms. Jezzy Lou says she is not a service dog, but she sure could use up some of them snuggles! When her auntie Gigi is here, the little trader sleeps with her!!!! :eek: When auntie takes a break to read (nap) in goes Jezzy. We could definately be on to a new career!

I am paying for all my activity last week with my legs in pain this week. It was great to get out and check out the hot rods. Glad to see people posting here again, hope all are doing well. For those who would like to view this below is a small movie from birth to present and the subject matter is Blitz. With my legs causing me issues it gave me allot of free time to involve myself in another hobby; playing music. The sound track is my playing all instruments and of course Blitz is the star.

Hope ya enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw-5rTufguY

I am paying for all my activity last week with my legs in pain this week. It was great to get out and check out the hot rods. Glad to see people posting here again, hope all are doing well. For those who would like to view this below is a small movie from birth to present and the subject matter is Blitz. With my legs causing me issues it gave me allot of free time to involve myself in another hobby; playing music. The sound track is my playing all instruments and of course Blitz is the star.

Hope ya enjoy.

I enjoyed watching Blitz through the years. Thanks for sharing the video.

Hope ya enjoy.

As usual Blitz is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Actually I referred to myself as Roz's publicist a few times. Especially to the passengers who followed her to the potty box to view nature in action. Poor Brenny. I met them in the hall and asked them to please discuss me first any further interactions. If only I could have kept a straight face. (but they did get a nice lecture ....with southern manners...on appropriate behavior...).

I had a GREAT time. And if I could make a living going on cruises with service dogs andtheir wonderful people I would retire tomorow. (maybe not).

As it was, I enjoyed my celebrity status and of course would love to meet the rest of this wonderful group.

On a side note between being a natural early riser and on east coast time I would always wake up first. I would make my way on deck for some early morning walking and then to the buffet for coffee. By the time I got back to the cabin Roz and Brenny would be up. One morning, Roz was still asleep, and after Brenny and I had an early morning conversation...I tried to take her to the potty. She loved me and I think if I had put a leash on her she would have gone, but, wasn't really interested. So, I proceeded to let her snuggle with me while I read. I found out later, Roz had already been up to take her to her comfort station. She just wanted some Aunt Sunshine Snuggles.....So, Wex, Orson, and the rest, who wants to snuggle with Aunt Sunshine??????

Who wouldn't want to snuggle with Auntie Sunshine?

Hello experts! We would like to take a South American cruise "Around the Horn" and bring our daughter and her service dog. The cruise we are looking at leaves from Valpariso, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Has anyone ever done this cruise with a service dog? Will the service dog be able to leave the ship at any of the ports?

Thank you!!

Hello experts! We would like to take a South American cruise "Around the Horn" and bring our daughter and her service dog. The cruise we are looking at leaves from Valpariso, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Has anyone ever done this cruise with a service dog? Will the service dog be able to leave the ship at any of the ports?

Thank you!!

First: Welcome to our thread. It sounds like a wonderful trip.

Brenda's been to Brazil and we were asked to produce a letter from our Vet stipulating that Brenda had no skin/fur diseases; all her immunizations were up-to-date and was in generally good health all within 12 weeks of travel. We were on Costa Cruiselines and were given a contract [via email] in which I had to certify that I would be bringing all her food and would take full and complete responsibility for her [every cruiseline will ask for this.] This form will also state the rules about leaving your dog onboard, the dog acting appropriately, etc., etc.

What cruiseline are you taking and is your Vet FDA Approved? If yes, it will make all the paperwork so much easier. He/she will give you a Certification of Travel with a small animal where it will state that your dog is a Service Dog and is on Heartguard/Advantix, is current on all immunizations, etc., etc. The Vet will also have the information that you need to bring your Service Dog into the country and ports you'll be visiting.

Good luck and remember to speak with the "Special Access" department [at least one week prior to your cruise] about the pottybox/filler and placement.

Roz