Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

GEEEZZZ!!!! ENOUGH already!!!!! I'm so sorry about your mom, you must have been scared out of your wits. Cindy, if you hadn't gotten her, I hate to think what would have happened. OMG!!!! Hopefully, she'll be okay! I'm so sorry!

On another note.....Brenda's been on Glucosamine & Chondroitin for years as well as Salmon Oil. Of course, I've been paying out of pocket for all of it. I must ask the Vet about just using the Cosequin and going through IAADP. I bet my pocketbook will like it better!!!

Take care, Cindy, I hope all is well for you and your family.

Can you believe it Roz? OMG Enough is right! Anyway, she is home and she has a urinary infection combine with all the stress she has had is the reason she passed out. I understand that in the elderly this kind of infection has little or no symptoms associated with it. Her heart is fine they did a ecg. She is doing great and happy to be home.

Can you believe it Roz? OMG Enough is right! Anyway, she is home and she has a urinary infection combine with all the stress she has had is the reason she passed out. I understand that in the elderly this kind of infection has little or no symptoms associated with it. Her heart is fine they did a ecg. She is doing great and happy to be home.

Thank goodness! Now, go get out from under that cloud, will you please!

I'm having so much fun with Brenda in my office lately. Just knowing that "Successor" will soon be here and Brenda will be home relaxing is such a relief and I find myself being more at ease and not so worried.

I'm getting more and more excited about having the two dogs. Someone told me to put all Brenny's toys away for the first few days and only bring a few out at a time so they don't fight over them. What do you think? And, watching them both sleep on the couch is going to be a trip. We'll see! I have long since given the couch to Brenda and she know's it. And, to think I wouldn't let Morey sleep on it [didn't want his hair oil to discolor it, what a joke!]

At this point of the night, Ollie was done with the kids and my camera. Not a great picture of my husband either, but you get the theme.

PA310266.jpg

Wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them. Is that gray I see around his muzzle and eyes.....how old is he? Such a great dog!

I'm putting the word out to some of our past poster's with or without Service Dogs......How are you and most importantly how are your dogs and have you done any cruising lately? I'd love hear from you........

Andar - Darcie, how's Bailey?

Denversees4me - Cari, I know your busy "Puppyraising", how's Denver?

Flsunnymommy - How's Giney and did Chewy retire?

Quampapetet - Where are you? Hope everything's okay!

Kerrytens - Miriam, did you ever get a Service Dog?

Latitude20 - Kathi how are you?

MCDW - How's Oz?

Valentine's Mom - Barbara, where are you, and, how's Valentine and your travels?

Chacooe - Kathy, how's Missie doing?

GiggleyKim - How's hubby doing with Kali?

1 Huskerfan - Kim, how's Keldon doing?

Harmonygirl - Kim, how's Rufus?

Mered288 - MJ, how's Sunny?

Kate1985 - Kate, How's Missy? Has the passing of Lessa become easier?

TrinaP1204 - How's Haikey doing?

Jodikt - Jodi, how's your friend with the Service Dog?

Lambknuckles - How's Takoda doing, last time we talked your daughter was in training?

CruisinKayakers - How's Salsa?

Harlan - Michelle, how's hubby doing with Randolph?

The Service Dog Trainer - Karla, how's Largo?

Todd's Pet - Dina, how's Todd doing?

Krisnm - How's Annie and your son doing?

I Heart Mickey - Jennifer, How's Lola?

broodizt - Shellie, how's Muffie doing, last time we talked she was sick?

Alohatoo - How's Shirley?

Loveboat1977 - How's Honey and your son doing?

Uppitycats - Where are you?

DVDFreakMC - Peter, how's Cameron and Wherin? Where are you?

Cindy, Marcia, Karen, Nancy, Guitarist, CJborne, DisneyKidsDad - It's such a wonderful thing to have you guys "onboard" almost every day!!!! I've had the unique pleasure of meeting and even cruising with some of you and that's made this thread all the better. Some of us share the same Service Dog training Org. which makes it so much easier to share my trials and tribulations of getting a Successor Dog more real.

Amazing, how many wonderful folks have fed into this thread and have shared their stories with us. If I forgot anyone please come back and let me know.

And, if there's anyone out there who's just "lurking" and has not fed into our "Cruising With a Service Dog", please come in.

I can't tell you how many people stop me onboard a cruise to tell me that they read this thread but have not written themselves.....please tell us about your cruising experience and what it's like to cruise with a Service Dog onboard with you.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We just found out yesterday through our super secret CCI spy network that our puppy raiser friends dog that is in this team training session got pre-placed. Now we wait and see if she stays placed. She would be only their second dog out of eight to graduate. It's hard to type with your fingers crossed. :D

Thank goodness! Now, go get out from under that cloud, will you please!

I'm having so much fun with Brenda in my office lately. Just knowing that "Successor" will soon be here and Brenda will be home relaxing is such a relief and I find myself being more at ease and not so worried.

I'm getting more and more excited about having the two dogs. Someone told me to put all Brenny's toys away for the first few days and only bring a few out at a time so they don't fight over them. What do you think? And, watching them both sleep on the couch is going to be a trip. We'll see! I have long since given the couch to Brenda and she know's it. And, to think I wouldn't let Morey sleep on it [didn't want his hair oil to discolor it, what a joke!]

OMG Roz it's only a month away!!! I've got goosebumps! I can't wait to hear all about it and him/her. This is such an exciting time for you and Morey, I will be saying my prayers that everything works out perfect!!:D

We just found out yesterday through our super secret CCI spy network that our puppy raiser friends dog that is in this team training session got pre-placed. Now we wait and see if she stays placed. She would be only their second dog out of eight to graduate. It's hard to type with your fingers crossed. :D

DKD, Isthis dog from puppy raisers that we both know and love? If so, someone is very lucky to have that beautiful dog!!

Ollie is 6. I thought the costume was really cute for him and we just needed to find something to match for my husband. They have dressed as pirates, police officer and prisoner, and football player and football in previous years. I saw a great costume for Ollie that was a shark body made so the dog's face would fit through the shark's mouth. It wouldn't work with the harness though.

Okay, so what does "pre-placed" mean?

And, when I go to Team Training in December who are the dogs I'll be training with? I was told there's two of them [is one of these dogs the one that I was told wasn't ready in September?] It's such a mystery and so secretive.....I do understand that they don't want Puppyraisers getting all excited about their dog being placed or their dog never making it to working with someone.....It must be so difficult to raise a dog, send it off to formal training only to have it be "released."

Although, I hear that more and more "released" dogs are being sent to the Government to work with the TSA [drug sniffing] or with the "Wounded Warriors" program. I guess before a dog is fully "released" as a pet they give it every opportunity to work in a different environment and maybe not so much on a "one-on-one" level!

Okay, so what does "pre-placed" mean?

And, when I go to Team Training in December who are the dogs I'll be training with? I was told there's two of them [is one of these dogs the one that I was told wasn't ready in September?] It's such a mystery and so secretive.....I do understand that they don't want Puppyraisers getting all excited about their dog being placed or their dog never making it to working with someone.....It must be so difficult to raise a dog, send it off to formal training only to have it be "released."

Although, I hear that more and more "released" dogs are being sent to the Government to work with the TSA [drug sniffing] or with the "Wounded Warriors" program. I guess before a dog is fully "released" as a pet they give it every opportunity to work in a different environment and maybe not so much on a "one-on-one" level!

CCI here places you with the dog they think you will be going home with on the first Wednesday of team training. You then have to wait till I think it's Friday to see if you will stay with that dog. In our class we only had one person have their dog switched. It was pretty much at his request and it worked out for the best.

Sorry Roz, I have no idea about your dogs.

OMG Roz it's only a month away!!! I've got goosebumps! I can't wait to hear all about it and him/her. This is such an exciting time for you and Morey, I will be saying my prayers that everything works out perfect!!:D

Today's a day that Brenda is not at work and she'll stay home tomorrow. Then starting next week, she'll stay home 3 days and only work 2. She's worked in my office for 9 years.....It's not easy not having her here. This transition will hopefully get her used to not coming with me a whole month before "Successor" comes along and we can avoid her getting depressed.

You should see me in the morning [in my bedroom, I'm all teary-eyed] because I know she's not coming with me and then I go out to the living room where she's either laying at Morey's feet getting her belly-rub or laying on her couch and I just walk over to her and give her a kiss on her forehead and say goodbye. The walk to the car is so, so, so lonely without her!!!!!! :( I just adore her!!!!! But, I'm ready for a new partner and for a more independent life with my new dog.

Thank you, Cindy, for the prayers.......I accept them with grace!

Ollie is 6. I thought the costume was really cute for him and we just needed to find something to match for my husband. They have dressed as pirates, police officer and prisoner, and football player and football in previous years. I saw a great costume for Ollie that was a shark body made so the dog's face would fit through the shark's mouth. It wouldn't work with the harness though.

Oh! He's a youngster. I love how you treat him just like one of your kids. The matching costumes are wonderful!

CCI here places you with the dog they think you will be going home with on the first Wednesday of team training. You then have to wait till I think it's Friday to see if you will stay with that dog. In our class we only had one person have their dog switched. It was pretty much at his request and it worked out for the best.

Sorry Roz, I have no idea about your dogs.

Boy, CCI ought to try working with the CIA, they'd be great at this secret-keeping thing!!!!!

Please keep us informed about your friends....I love living vicariously through other's getting these amazing dogs.

The winds are called "Santana's"......Someone just corrected me!

I KNEW it! The weatherman/weatherpeople started saying "santa anas" several years ago but I remember growing up they were "santanas" which means "devil winds." People kept telling me I was wrong, so thanks Roz! ;)

I KNEW it! The weatherman/weatherpeople started saying "santa anas" several years ago but I remember growing up they were "santanas" which means "devil winds." People kept telling me I was wrong, so thanks Roz! ;)

You are so welcome! And, here where I work, they were truly "devil winds", we had mini tornadoes all over the place.....it was down right scary and now it's so still it's weird. Someone said it means we're going to have an earthquake when the weather changes so drastically......I think I'll just shut-up, sit down and hold on!!!!!! :D

Did you have a good cruise?

Rangeley - Do you have an e-mail address you can post here so I can contact you privately about your husband's hospital issues? Thanks!

Roz - You'll still have to pay for all of Brenda's vet stuff, as IAADP benefits only work for one currently-working service dog. You can use the benefits on your new dog once you change the name on your membership from Brenda to the new dog's name (it takes a few weeks for them to get it set, so do it right away!). The benefits include free salmon oil (liquid only, not gel caps) called "Welactin" from the same company that makes "Cosequin" and "Dasuquin" (which is the same company that makes the human glucosamine/chondroitin supplement "CosaminDS", the brand doctors recommend - the dog versions are the brand vets recommend, too, as a lot of other brands are unreliable in the quality and amounts from bottle to bottle). Seeing as membership is only $30/year (increasing in January), if the only benefit you take advantage of is the free Cosequin/Dasuquin, you've more than made up for the cost of the membership, so it is definitely worth it. I take advantage of the free Dasuquin and the 10% VCA vet discount, plus have taken advantage of the rabies titer discount/front-of-the-line status. (In the past, they had a RuffWear discount that I had used then, too.)

I definitely recommend joining IAADP! Like Roz said, even just reading the newsletter is worth it! Also, supporting the advocacy IAADP does on behalf of the service dog community is good. (By the way, for those here who do not have service dogs, you can join IAADP as a friend member. You can also just donate, if you don't want to be a member or if you want to give above what the membership costs.) I'm going to try to make sure my friend who is getting her first service dog next week becomes a member of IAADP, too.

As for where I've been, life has been crazy lately between different things, including an immediate family member in and out of the hospital, so getting on message boards hasn't happened much lately. I also don't have any plans to cruise within the next year; just land/air trips for me!

Guitarist - Please don't vaccinate your dogs every year!!! Please read up on over-vaccination and how it harms dogs (can make them sick and/or shorten their lives). If you can't afford to titer (blood test for antibodies) your dog every year, do it every two or three years. At the absolute least, only vaccinate your dog every three years (as is according to the American Animal Hospital Association [http://www.ahaanet.org]) - but please think long and hard before considering such a thing. My dog has only had her first vaccinations for the core vaccines and has been titered every year since, with every year her titers coming out to be more than adequate (she is nine now). She will likely not have to ever get another core vaccine in her life. I honestly wouldn't titer every year if it wasn't needed for international travel (in place of vaccination requirements), so once she retires won't titer her every year. (The rabies vaccine does have to be given according to the law - usually every three years [one year in and for entry to some foreign countries] - because it is law, of course. But, there is a Rabies Challenge study going on that will prove that rabies does not have to be given so often and, hopefully, get the laws changed. [The Rabies Challenge study is another charity that could use some donations, too, for those who are able to donate!])

Edited by Quampapetet

Rangeley - Do you have an e-mail address you can post here so I can contact you privately about your husband's hospital issues? Thanks!

Roz - You'll still have to pay for all of Brenda's vet stuff, as IAADP benefits only work for one currently-working service dog. You can use the benefits on your new dog once you change the name on your membership from Brenda to the new dog's name (it takes a few weeks for them to get it set, so do it right away!). The benefits include free salmon oil (liquid only, not gel caps) called "Welactin" from the same company that makes "Cosequin" and "Dasuquin" (which is the same company that makes the human glucosamine/chondroitin supplement "CosaminDS", the brand doctors recommend - the dog versions are the brand vets recommend, too, as a lot of other brands are unreliable in the quality and amounts from bottle to bottle). Seeing as membership is only $30/year (increasing in January), if the only benefit you take advantage of is the free Cosequin/Dasuquin, you've more than made up for the cost of the membership, so it is definitely worth it. I take advantage of the free Dasuquin and the 10% VCA vet discount, plus have taken advantage of the rabies titer discount/front-of-the-line status. (In the past, they had a RuffWear discount that I had used then, too.)

I definitely recommend joining IAADP! Like Roz said, even just reading the newsletter is worth it! Also, supporting the advocacy IAADP does on behalf of the service dog community is good. (By the way, for those here who do not have service dogs, you can join IAADP as a friend member. You can also just donate, if you don't want to be a member or if you want to give above what the membership costs.) I'm going to try to make sure my friend who is getting her first service dog next week becomes a member of IAADP, too.

As for where I've been, life has been crazy lately between different things, including an immediate family member in and out of the hospital, so getting on message boards hasn't happened much lately. I also don't have any plans to cruise within the next year; just land/air trips for me!

Guitarist - Please don't vaccinate your dogs every year!!! Please read up on over-vaccination and how it harms dogs (can make them sick and/or shorten their lives). If you can't afford to titer (blood test for antibodies) your dog every year, do it every two or three years. At the absolute least, only vaccinate your dog every three years (as is according to the American Animal Hospital Association [www.ahaanet.org]) - but please think long and hard before considering such a thing. My dog has only had her first vaccinations for the core vaccines and has been titered every year since, with every year her titers coming out to be more than adequate (she is nine now). She will likely not have to ever get another core vaccine in her life. I honestly wouldn't titer every year if it wasn't needed for international travel (in place of vaccination requirements), so once she retires won't titer her every year. (The rabies vaccine does have to be given according to the law - usually every three years [one year in and for entry to some foreign countries] - because it is law, of course. But, there is a Rabies Challenge study going on that will prove that rabies does not have to be given so often and, hopefully, get the laws changed. [The Rabies Challenge study is another charity that could use some donations, too, for those who are able to donate!])

She's back.......Hi Quam, good to hear from you. You always have such great information. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your family member and hope that all is well in the future.

Don't be such a stranger and come back every once in a while to let us know that your okay.

I'm so glad that my Vet believes in not over vaccinating the senior dog and will only allow Brenda to have what the law requires.

Take care of yourself and stay in touch.

Quam, you can email me at bailee01@hotmail.com please put something in subject line so I will recognize it's you, cuz it will go into my junk mail.

Sorry to hear about your family members health issues. Hope everything has a positive outcome.

Well mom got power back yesterday but she doesn't want to go home, probably cuz my brother drives her nuts. She is having to good of a time here. I will probably bring her home Sunday or Monday. We have our puppy class tomorrow night so she will go with us.