Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi guys, I'm home. It was an amazing trip filled with lots to share and even some drama [how unusual for me!]

First, DKD congratulations on your planning an Alaskan cruise. I loved ours and, like others would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm glad you survived your dog-sitting. And, I think you'd be a wonderful puppyraiser.

We got to CCI last Wednesday night. The drive through San Francisco, over the GG Bridge is one of my most favorite road trips. I could do it over and over again. We found our dorm and went in search of the folks in my class. I was surprised to see so many people in Gittinger Hall, where the classroom was set-up and where they ate their meals. Each student had one to three training assistants with them, a bit unusual but the interest was nice to see.

We got settled in and walked the dogs around the grounds [so beautiful], these dogs are so lucky to have such a lovely place to call home for a while.

I saw "Pippen", the other dog I had to choose from during my Team Training. He had been matched with a lovely, young woman from Washington D.C. I was glad.....they were a good match.

[i would NOT recommend doing a "side placement" and trying to fit-into an established class to anyone.] These folks had formed their bonds with each other and kind of looked at me as an "intruder!" They were at the end of their second week, they were being tested both physically and mentally, not to mention the emotional challenges involved when trying to bond with a strange animal.

I make friends easily and can talk to anyone and they were simply not open to discussion, except with each other. It felt weird. I think the trainers could have helped the situation by having a seat saved at the classroom table with my name [so the students would been expecting me.] I was forced to sit in the very back of the classroom, at the dining room table, like an intruder!

We were all going to take the public testing in the mall on Thursday and then [a prayer in my head], we'd meet our Puppyraisers and graduate on Friday.

The public testing went very well, until Horton picked up one of the dog bisquits that was thrown at him and I had to retrieve it from his mouth. He did very well the next time we were asked to sit in the mall and they threw animal cookies at him and I "double-dog-dared" him to even try and pick one up; he didn't! [smart boy!] We did really well the rest of the day, including the escalator quiz.

Friday's graduation was wonderful. Although, Horton's Puppyraisers could not be there, a lovely Breeder/Caretaker of Horton's Great Grandfather "Hemet" [Martina Brumley] was there and handed Horton's leash to me at graduation. She cried, I cried and all, in all it was a great day.

Once again, I've been denied puppy pictures of my Service Dog. The very same thing happened with Brenda.......I had to beg CCI to get puppy pictures for me.

Brenda loved being on the grounds of her "puppy home", she soaked-up every moment on the play yard and loved her walks with all of us every day.

Brenda and Horton love each other, he kisses her on her eyes and licks her ears all the time.....she used to back-up when he'd approach her to do this.....now, she leans into him for more!!!!! So cute and so sweet!

We left CCI and drove to Pleasanton, CA - where my children are and spent the weekend playing and enjoying each other with the dogs.

When I got to work there was a message from my Puppyraisers saying that they were sorry they couldn't attend the graduation [i understand they live in No. Carolina, that's not around the corner] they're very happy for Horton and glad that he was going to be loved by a family and they would try and get some pictures together for me.......ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!:mad: The puppy that you spent over a year with, that you loved and devoted so much of your time to is now in his final loving home, serving the purpose he was born, raised and trained to do and you don't have an "album" of pictures for them? What is wrong here folks?

Some of the other people at graduation got the most adorable albums of their dogs, filled with lots and lots of pictures and wonderful memories of their dogs when they were goofy, funny and joyful puppies. Why can't I have puppyraisers who do this? :( Why, why????????:confused:

Dear future or current Puppyraisers: Please, please, please take lots of pictures and make an album of your puppy, because one day the puppy that you're devoting all that clean-up, play, training and loving down-time to is going to grow-up, he/she is going to go to "advance-training" and become a; seeing eye/hearing/service or facility dog and will be asked to do the most amazing tasks. He/she will rescue and serve as someone's eye's/ears/physical and emotional partner. He/she will be such an important and integral part of someone's life and they will want to see what he/she looked like and acted like as a puppy. Who was he/she before me.

These young adult dogs who serve such wonderful purposes in our lives had a puppyhood and to share that with us is so IMPORTANT to the fiber of who this dog is now!

Thank you for making the decision to raise and care for this puppy.....you're very special to us!

I have a friend that was looking into puppy raising. I told her to please take pictures of the puppy and share it. (They decided as a family not to do it at this time though).

I too wish we had pictures of Ollie as a puppy. He is really handsome now. He must have been an adorable puppy!

Dear future or current Puppyraisers: Please, please, please take lots of pictures and make an album of your puppy, because one day the puppy that you're devoting all that clean-up, play, training and loving down-time to is going to grow-up, he/she is going to go to "advance-training" and become a; seeing eye/hearing/service or facility dog and will be asked to do the most amazing tasks. He/she will rescue and serve as someone's eye's/ears/physical and emotional partner. He/she will be such an important and integral part of someone's life and they will want to see what he/she looked like and acted like as a puppy. Who was he/she before me.

These young adult dogs who serve such wonderful purposes in our lives had a puppyhood and to share that with us is so IMPORTANT to the fiber of who this dog is now!

Thank you for making the decision to raise and care for this puppy.....you're very special to us!

I have a friend that was looking into puppy raising. I told her to please take pictures of the puppy and share it. (They decided as a family not to do it at this time though).

I too wish we had pictures of Ollie as a puppy. He is really handsome now. He must have been an adorable puppy!

Please don't think ill of your puppy raisers too much for not having pictures. Some people (like me!) just don't like to take pictures. I prefer to experience life rather than document it (plus I'm a horrible photographer). :D

As Roz pointed out, your puppy raisers gave you the best gifts of all--Brenda, Ollie and Horton. That they didn't give you the gift of puppy pictures is disappointing but minor in the grand scheme of things.

I agree 100% Roz. Orson had two puppy raisers. His first raisers were in PA. For some reason they had to stop. We have no pictures from them when Orson was a very small puppy. He then went to people in VA. They gave us a very nice photo album. But by then he was no longer a "puppy". Every time we look at it we wish his first puppy raisers would have taken some pictures.

The week we puppy sat for the CCI puppy Pascal, I took a bunch of pictures and put them on a CD for the puppy raiser. She may want to use some of them when she puts together an album if he graduates or even if he gets adopted out. It does mean alot to the people that get a dog.

I see both sides of the fence. I can see the puppy raiser being too busy, bad photographer etc... But I am leaning towards Roz and her point; I mean serious how long does it take to do pictures? A couple of minutes a day; if you do not want to print them out just hand over a cd. Its a memory of the puppy becoming who he or she is now; a memory that someone like Roz or any one here would cherish for life. My three fosters while never went to a program like this; went to my children and grand children. When these shepherds left my home they knew all the basic commands and were very socialized and loads of pictures went with them.

:mad: NO PICS??? UGHHHHH!!!! If you can spend hundreds of hours teaching the dog, you can take a few pics! We got a photo book and about 500 pics on a disk.

I'm sorry things were wierd for you at graduation. You do form a bond with these people you have gone through hell with for 2 weeks. But it's funny the bond seems to end once you leave CCI. We tried to keep in touch with our class, even visited a few the next summer, but we NEVER hear from any of them. I also heard the class before ours was the same way. Everyone exchanged info, but no one was ever heard from again. It's wierd :eek:

We are glad you are back! :D

One day my Brenny [who is now 12] will be gone......geeezzzzz, I can't even write this without tearing-up and although I'll have all my memories [in my head] of everything we've ever done.....I do forget some of the very best times and even the smallest of things [like her sleeping on my bed with her head on my pillow] this is something I want to remember for ever and ever and having it in a picture means the world to me.

When I went to Team Training I took pictures of Brenny with me, not only to remind myself of why I'm doing this all over again but to share with the trainers.

I'm a horrible photographer......they're either too dark or too light or off center. But, as long as I can see the subject in them.....I'm happy. And, I know picture taking can be "cheesy" to some......I have to tell you, you should have seen some of the men who were getting their Service Dogs holding their albums of their dogs as puppies to their chests, with great pride.....it would make you smile!

Looking at all the responses, I guess I'm a minority of one :) But it's not really a matter of being too busy or being a bad photographer (although I am)--I just never think of taking pictures while I'm living my life. My grandson is "five-going-on-six" and I probably have fewer than two dozen pictures of him. Doesn't mean I love him any less.

But CCI is an organization that has very specific requirements for its puppy-raisers. Has anyone asked them to make taking puppy pictures a requirement? Seems like that would be a simple solution to the problem.

Looking at all the responses, I guess I'm a minority of one :) But it's not really a matter of being too busy or being a bad photographer (although I am)--I just never think of taking pictures while I'm living my life. My grandson is "five-going-on-six" and I probably have fewer than two dozen pictures of him. Doesn't mean I love him any less.

But CCI is an organization that has very specific requirements for its puppy-raisers. Has anyone asked them to make taking puppy pictures a requirement? Seems like that would be a simple solution to the problem.

I agree pictures do not affect the amount of love for your grand children, what does happen is those photos become keep sakes.

I cherish all my photos and with even phones having pretty decent cameras on them so the excuse of not having a camera available or its too bulky can no longer be used.

Here is a great example; I was eating a sandwich and Blitz was chewing on his rawhide. I picked up my phone next to me and made a small video. A video I will enjoy especially since he does a great Gracho Marx with that Raw Hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLPHNtDp9XE

Not trying to start a fight, please do not think I am. I just look at it as a prospective new family of the pup.

Edited by guitarest

CCI puppy raisers don't need any more responsibility heaped on them. They have enough to do as it is. Believe me, I am friends with alot of them. Nobody is asking for studio quality pictures. Just keep your camera around to take some candid shots once in a while. You don't even have to print them out and make an album. I'm sure most graduates would be happy with just the pictures on a CD or memory stick.

:mad: NO PICS??? UGHHHHH!!!! If you can spend hundreds of hours teaching the dog, you can take a few pics! We got a photo book and about 500 pics on a disk.

I'm sorry things were wierd for you at graduation. You do form a bond with these people you have gone through hell with for 2 weeks. But it's funny the bond seems to end once you leave CCI. We tried to keep in touch with our class, even visited a few the next summer, but we NEVER hear from any of them. I also heard the class before ours was the same way. Everyone exchanged info, but no one was ever heard from again. It's wierd :eek:

We are glad you are back! :D

While I was sitting waiting for my name to be called up to receive my Diploma [CCI does such a beautiful job on these graduation certificates], a woman approached me.....it was one of my classmates from Team Training, 10 years ago. She [Erna] brought her dog "Justy" with her, he looked so different, he was more gray than Brenda and really looked old. She's on the waiting list for a Successor Dog.

She came to the graduation hoping to surprise me and see a graduation. We stay in touch through email. I had no idea she was even thinking of driving in from Sacramento. We hugged like long-lost college roommates. It felt so good to have someone there who could relate with me.

I do email another gal "Cheryl" who lives in New Jersey - we really are spread-out all over the U.S. Erna lives in Sacramento so it is a bit easier for her to take the 2 hour drive to Santa Rosa.

I think it's pretty natural for everyone to get back to their usual routines and grow apart. But, it sure felt good to see someone from my original class.

CCI is going to have to start thinking about scheduling "reunions". I think folks would like that. Bringing the different classes together might be a lot of fun...a lot of work though.

Seems simple doesn't it? I wonder what is said to the Puppyraisers at their weekly training sessions. :confused:

If someone out there is a Puppyraiser and knows the answer to this could you please let us know.

Are you asked to take pictures or keep an album for the person who will be selected to take your dog forever?

I'm in the process's of formulating a letter to Lauren Rignel - NW Program Manager of CCI. I'm going to share with her my thoughts on this and the feelings I had as an "interloper" during the class. She had asked us to please feel free to let her know of anything that we felt could be added or changed .

I agree pictures do not affect the amount of love for your grand children, what does happen is those photos become keep sakes.

I cherish all my photos and with even phones having pretty decent cameras on them so the excuse of not having a camera available or its too bulky can no longer be used.

Here is a great example; I was eating a sandwich and Blitz was chewing on his rawhide. I picked up my phone next to me and made a small video. A video I will enjoy especially since he does a great Gracho Marx with that Raw Hide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLPHNtDp9XE

Not trying to start a fight, please do not think I am. I just look at it as a prospective new family of the pup.

That is pretty cute!!!!

I keep my camera in my purse and shoot video's of Brenda all the time [whoops! Used to!] Now, I do Horton. I keep the video's in my camera and when I'm feeling sad, I just look at her jumping and running and playing with her ball and it absolutely warms my heart!!!! The best part is I can do this anywhere I am....on a plane, on a ship, at work or waiting in the doctor's office.

CCI puppy raisers don't need any more responsibility heaped on them. They have enough to do as it is. Believe me, I am friends with alot of them. Nobody is asking for studio quality pictures. Just keep your camera around to take some candid shots once in a while. You don't even have to print them out and make an album. I'm sure most graduates would be happy with just the pictures on a CD or memory stick.

Absolutely! You're right, they don't need to make it formal or more special than just a CD or snapshots in an envelope......that would be good enough for me! I'll turn it all into an album.

Absolutely! You're right, they don't need to make it formal or more special than just a CD or snapshots in an envelope......that would be good enough for me! I'll turn it all into an album.

You've both said it more elegantly than I did--I was kind of crabby last night for totally unrelated reasons. Rather than a "requirement" I was trying to say it might be good for CCI to impress on its puppy raisers how much you cherish puppy pictures.

Edited by Latitude 20

Roz, thought of you when I came across this (Blitz at 7 or 8 weeks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTkgrur1EM

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!!!!

I would love to see what Horton looked like as a puppy, he's such a big lug now....I can't ever imagine what those ears looked like on a puppy!!!!!