Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, you know I did put in my three cents worth. Holy Cow, those folks are on a roll aren't they?

They are! Thank you for inserting some reality. There was another thread recently on the Holland America forum about an apparently fake service dog on a rather long cruise and the ensuing havoc. Very depressing.

You know, these cruise lines ask for a signed statement that the animal won't eat off the table, sit on the lounge sofas, and so on. I so wish they would stick to their guns and require the offending passenger to disembark at the very next port, just like other rule-breakers.

They are! Thank you for inserting some reality. There was another thread recently on the Holland America forum about an apparently fake service dog on a rather long cruise and the ensuing havoc. Very depressing.

You know, these cruise lines ask for a signed statement that the animal won't eat off the table, sit on the lounge sofas, and so on. I so wish they would stick to their guns and require the offending passenger to disembark at the very next port, just like other rule-breakers.

Far-be-it for me to be a snitch. I'm truly a "live & let live" kind of gal. That said, I personally will call "out" every person with a little pet that they're trying to pass off as a Service Dog. I know just what we can and can not ask and I know what they can and can not do. If the dog is being allowed to nip/growl/bark and is being fed off of the table or dishes......they'll be sorry they've met me!!!

I will not tolerate or let go poor behavior by the person or the dog.

They ruin it for us and, although I know how difficult it may be for some folks to be separated from their pets, they don't belong in public if they have not been trained [the people or the dog!]

I've heard it all......"She was once attacked by a Pit Bull and now she's fearful, that's why she's growling at you!" - "I'm feeding her in the dining room because she's hungry!" - "She's sitting on the table because she needs to see me!" NO, NEVER, NOT! I will let the Hotel Manager know that the behavior is unacceptable and should NOT be tolerated!!!!

If little Fi-Fi is in a baby carriage I will let the carriage pusher know that it's ridiculous and that they're destroying the public image of a true Service Dog!

It's so exhausting, I'm tired already!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well, you know I did put in my three cents worth. Holy Cow, those folks are on a roll aren't they?

Thanks for doing this .... It needed doing.

Now if we can just sort out Miss tea leaf here (tea leaf = thief in London cockney slang).

You know Max and Poppy never steal anything, never have done. I can drop a dog biscuit on the floor and although Max will look at it longingly, he would never just take it. Or I can leave human food on the coffee table and they would never take it. This little missy tea leaf, I'm not so sure!

Hopefully it's a fad and with some "encouragement", the energy can be transferred to another activity. Oh oh as I write this she's just arrived after her last before bedtime outing, with her dad's slipper in her mouth! I'm waiting, waiting .... Here it comes ..... "Aruba, where's my slipper". I shouldn't laugh, I really shouldn't! LOL! If she wasn't so cute with the "who me???" look!!!

Nite Nite all! :)

We haven't heard from Colleen and Misty for a while? Colleen, you there? :). .

Edited by fairbourne

That just goes to show, no matter how much training there is, at the end of the day they are still dogs. The important thing is that she gave them back. THAT"S GOOD TRAINING!!

Well she handed them over, and she always does hand stuff over, soggy but with no hesitation. So I suppose that's something! But this was the first time she's stolen treats. It's the teenage time - yuck!

Thanks for doing this .... It needed doing.

Now if we can just sort out Miss tea leaf here (tea leaf = thief in London cockney slang).

You know Max and Poppy never steal anything, never have done. I can drop a dog biscuit on the floor and although Max will look at it longingly, he would never just take it. Or I can leave human food on the coffee table and they would never take it. This little missy tea leaf, I'm not so sure!

Hopefully it's a fad and with some "encouragement", the energy can be transferred to another activity. Oh oh as I write this she's just arrived after her last before bedtime outing, with her dad's slipper in her mouth! I'm waiting, waiting .... Here it comes ..... "Aruba, where's my slipper". I shouldn't laugh, I really shouldn't! LOL! If she wasn't so cute with the "who me???" look!!!

Nite Nite all! :)

We haven't heard from Colleen and Misty for a while? Colleen, you there? :)

I know you're going to sleep so read this tomorrow......I think I told you about "the shoe jail." I have a Captain's Chair in my living room [one of Morey's finds at a garage sale.] My children know if they don't put their shoes/socks, etc. in the shoe jail [which rests against a desk] then Horton will do exactly what Aruba does, steal it!

I know for sure that he does it when he knows he's going to get a reaction. If I just go over and take it away from him with NO REACTION, he won't try again. But, if one of the kids gets excited and call his name he's all over the place with the shoe in his mouth, running hither and nigh! [is that an expression?]

My girlfriend has a spray bottle of water.....when her puppy takes something he's not supposed to she sprays him.......I don't like it, it scares the dog and I don't like the look on his face of terror!

I have NO training tips for this. I think it's so funny [like you] that I just start to laugh so I'm no good at teaching any dog not to do this!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

DKD, Welcome home. I hope your holiday's were filled with family and fun. It's good to hear from you.

Trudy, how are you doing and how's your pup?

Cindy, I hope you, John and Wexy are doing well. Aren't you cruising soon? I guess Santa didn't bring you a new computer.......Darn Santa, what good are you? :mad:

Cindra, your story of putting Pedro in a sling made me smile. I wish sometimes that I could put my 92lb boy in a sling.....Yeah, right!!! ;)

Yes, they are cruising. A little birdie told me that Wexler was enjoying the day yesterday on Half Moon Cay. :D

There was also someone with a pair of yappy dogs in a stroller on Celebrity Silhouette that is being discussed. A few of us directed people to this thread.

here is the link if anyone wants to chime in...I see Caribbean Chris answered the potty question!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2147266&page=4

That was the "Number One" question (so to speak) from all the people who approached to chat. Followed by her age and her name.

On about the fourth day of one of our cruises I was asked that question for about the tenth time that day. So just for the heck of it I told the guy that Orson was "potty trained" but there was a problem. When he asked me what the problem was I told him that there was no urinal in our cabin. After I saw the look on this poor guys face, I told him I was kidding and told him the truth. But it was great to do! :D

Yes, they are cruising. A little birdie told me that Wexler was enjoying the day yesterday on Half Moon Cay. :D

WHAT????? Cindy, is writing to you but NOT to US!!! She's in so much trouble!! :mad:

I'm so glad that she's out of the blizzardy weather and is enjoying the Caribbean with her men!

There was also someone with a pair of yappy dogs in a stroller on Celebrity Silhouette that is being discussed. A few of us directed people to this thread.

Thanks Barb, I think if they come here they'll see that we, who walk or wheel with our true Service Dogs don't like the "fakers" any more than the general public does......probably even worse.

The owner of those "yappy" squirrels in the stroller would have been very sorry if they had met up with me and Horton! I won't put-up with their nonsense, not any more! :mad:

On about the fourth day of one of our cruises I was asked that question for about the tenth time that day. So just for the heck of it I told the guy that Orson was "potty trained" but there was a problem. When he asked me what the problem was I told him that there was no urinal in our cabin. After I saw the look on this poor guys face, I told him I was kidding and told him the truth. But it was great to do! :D

I know the public is very curious about our dogs and is full of questions....just ask "Sunshine" who cruised with Brenda and me once; how she handled it.

After a while you can't help but want to answer with something outrageous. I'll get asked, "how'd you get your dog onboard?" Answer: "In my hanging bag!" "Where does the dog go to the bathroom?" Answer: "He's been trained to hold it in for the week!"

I only get silly when I know I'm going to back it up with an honest answer and let them know that I'm just joking!

The public has left behind their beloved pet; they've had to hire a dog sitter or boarded them and they're truly missing them. I get it and I totally understand. I've had folks throw themselves on the floor to lay next to my dog and just love on him. If I'm sitting in a lounge and Horton's resting beside me [not working], I allow for the loving [Horton loves the attention.]

If I want to be alone, I can go back to my cabin or find a quiet spot in a vacant lounge.

I'm not going to stop cruising [it's my favorite way to vacation] and my disability is not going to go away....so, if you see us onboard a ship and you want to know more or just want time with an amazingly brilliant Service Dog please come over and chat. If you don't like dogs and really dislike the fact that one is on YOUR cruise, let me know and I'll stay away as best I can.

I will not come into your elevator if you don't want to share it with Horton. Just let me know. I will, however, be in the dining room, Horton will be on the floor, against a wall or under my table. If you see me, you know you will see a big Black Lab with me! :)

Okay, how many of you remember the lovely blue pouches that you got from Holland America that had your cruise docs in them, once you made final payment. Then we'd all laugh or giggle and say we were going to do the "doc dance!" Seriously, am I that old?

Of course along came the internet and everything was done via your computer and no more blue pouches, that some of us would use as a handbag on formal night [just for fun!]

The status symbol was; the more blue pouches you owned the higher you were on the cruise status chain.

Well, can you see it? I'm doing the doc dance [without the blue pouch.] Final payment on my April cruise.......Done! :p

Okay, how many of you remember the lovely blue pouches that you got from Holland America that had your cruise docs in them, once you made final payment. Then we'd all laugh or giggle and say we were going to do the "doc dance!" Seriously, am I that old?

Of course along came the internet and everything was done via your computer and no more blue pouches, that some of us would use as a handbag on formal night [just for fun!]

The status symbol was; the more blue pouches you owned the higher you were on the cruise status chain.

Well, can you see it? I'm doing the doc dance [without the blue pouch.] Final payment on my April cruise.......Done! :p

Yay Roz! Nothing like the doc dance. Yes, I do remember those and have a couple around here somewhere. Just coudn't bear to throw them out.

Now you are in countdown phase!

Oh, I remember the "doc dance" too!! I was so excited to get the pouch with the tickets, luggage tags and the other filler paperwork. It made the trip feel real. It's not the same being able to download and print your own. It's fun to see that link saying they are available for printing, but it lacks something. I saved and reused my last Princess pouch for a few years, but it finally fell apart. Are any cruise lines using etickets yet? That will be a real downer once those go into effect.

Well, today I had two long conversations on the phone. The first was with my vet's office, the second with the rep at the USDA. All of the appointments are set in stone now. Phew! I will be visiting the NJ office of the USDA to get my official stamps/seals. What I didn't expect was to have to visit the vet twice. Apparently, one or two of the vaccines need two doses a few weeks apart, so we are just in time. Monday, Pedro and I will go for his first exam, the ISO chip and his first vaccines. Why is it that even though your rabies vaccine is good for three years, after the chip is implanted, he needs another rabies shot? Is there something in the chip that deactivates the vaccine...?:confused: Makes no sense to me... Anyway, everything is ordered and, fingers crossed, it will all fall into place prior to our departure. I asked the rep at USDA about the requirement reentering the US after visiting a country on the "Screwworm List." One of our ports, Cartagena, Colombia is on that list. The rep said Pedro would have to be examined again by a vet to insure he didn't pick up screwworm there. Huh? Where in the world...ie Panama Canal or Costa Rica...are we going to find a vet to examine him??? He said if Pedro didn't get off the ship there, it wouldn't be an issue. Looks like Pedro will not be seeing Colombia...:rolleyes: As Shania Twain once sang..."No one needs to know, right now...";) For sure, we will get him checked at our vet once we get home...either way.

When we return, I will be sure to let you all know about our tour operator in Costa Rica. So far, he has been very accommodating to our motley little group....one cane, one wheelchair, one service dog...and a smiling able bodied friend. We joked with him that he needs a disability to fit in with us.I suggested he get a white can and a pair of dark sunglasses...in jest, of course.

Question...did any of your dogs have trouble adjusting to the ship? Any problems with sea sickness in rough seas? Do they make doggie dramamine...?;)

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

When we return, I will be sure to let you all know about our tour operator in Costa Rica. So far, he has been very accommodating to our motley little group....one cane, one wheelchair, one service dog...and a smiling able bodied friend. We joked with him that he needs a disability to fit in with us.I suggested he get a white can and a pair of dark sunglasses...in jest, of course.

Question...did any of your dogs have trouble adjusting to the ship? Any problems with sea sickness in rough seas? Do they make doggie dramamine...?;)

Cindra

You're takin' care of business, Cindra!

Your joke about the tour operator reminded me that at open seating breakfast in the dining room on our cruise, we were seated away from the other passengers at a very suitable and pleasant table where Raylene could be against the wall and not jammed up to close to other tables. As it happened, the only other people ever seated nearby were people with walkers or wheelchairs, a large (family?) group with one blind man, and two guys - one blind and the other his cousin who assisted him. I referred to it as the "People with Disabilities section" (using various irreverent terminology). We struck up a camaraderie with the two guys and always enjoyed chatting with them.

Raylene didn't appear to have any issues with seasickness or even notice the movement, but the seas were fairly calm, by my standards anyway. I did have a doggie first aid kit with me that included some vet-prescribed anti-nausea meds in case of any issues.

Cindy's computer died, so she just has her phone. That is why she is MIA!

Just chatted with her on FB.

I still have a bunch of blue folders, and I take one on every cruise, stuffed with things like passports, boarding passes, my DH's list of meds and doctors ...

You're takin' care of business, Cindra!

Your joke about the tour operator reminded me that at open seating breakfast in the dining room on our cruise, we were seated away from the other passengers at a very suitable and pleasant table where Raylene could be against the wall and not jammed up to close to other tables. As it happened, the only other people ever seated nearby were people with walkers or wheelchairs, a large (family?) group with one blind man, and two guys - one blind and the other his cousin who assisted him. I referred to it as the "People with Disabilities section" (using various irreverent terminology). We struck up a camaraderie with the two guys and always enjoyed chatting with them.

Raylene didn't appear to have any issues with seasickness or even notice the movement, but the seas were fairly calm, by my standards anyway. I did have a doggie first aid kit with me that included some vet-prescribed anti-nausea meds in case of any issues.

Ah, so they DO make doggie Dramamine! ;)