Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I am in the final two week countdown until I go to team training at CCI. I thought I would practice posting a photo (this is my son's dog that we are dog sitting). She is side ways - maybe I will figure out how to rotate the picture.

Dianne

IMG_2454_zpskqio3ups.jpg

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Hi everyone. Just catching up with everyone's news. Love the photos! This week I've been busy with workmen - they are like buses, no sign of them for ages and then 3 turn up all at once! :rolleyes:

So here we are, the last weekend with our darling girl Aruba. She's ready to go, she needs a job and her little case is ready and waiting to be packed. I had a lovely phone call from the girl at the kennels at the training centre to tell me she would be looking after Aruba when she arrives and she wanted to know all about her - her routine, food, toileting (they are trained to go on command and Aruba is pretty good at going just before we go out anywhere, unless she's already been recently and I get a "look"!), which surface she goes on - (as we know some dogs prefer grass to concrete, but she goes on any) - has she any special toys - oh yes, Piggy! She sounded really nice and a true doggy caring person, so I was delighted to get this phone call and know who would be looking after my girl. She also told me she would phone me the day after she arrives and let me know how she's settling in - phew that was a relief too and I will worry till I know she's ok. She will have a new doggy friend to share a kennel with and lots of playtime and activities to keep her occupied. Then she starts her formal training with lots of one to one with the trainers. I got the feeling she was well used to dealing with "anxious mummies"!!! Oh and she has a note on her record that if Aruba doesn't like school and they don't want her to go do anything else, she's coming home to us.

The training centre are having an open day almost as soon as we are back from our cruise, so we are going and hope we will see Aruba and maybe she will be part of a display team to show visitors what they do there.

We had a lovely ChocAruba tea party last weekend - lots of friends and family came to see her and wish her well. I've some photos to share and will post them soon.

There is no doubt we will miss her terribly but she's off to do her job. Forward and onward as they say with a stiff upper lip! :rolleyes:

fairbourne,

Like I said before, you have done everything you could to prepare Aruba for her next adventure. Take comfort in the fact that if she decides that college isn't for her, she is coming back to you. It's really is a win, win situation.

We took Sutter to the CCI puppy raiser workshop this Saturday. He was one of the youngest dogs there and he made us proud. People kept commenting on how well behaved he was and how he knew so much. maybe there is hope for this one!!

I am in the final two week countdown until I go to team training at CCI. I thought I would practice posting a photo (this is my son's dog that we are dog sitting). She is side ways - maybe I will figure out how to rotate the picture.

Dianne

IMG_2454_zpskqio3ups.jpg

Dianne - I am so excited for you to be so near to going to your team training - the wait will be more than worth it and I can't wait to meet your new partner. :) Love the photo!

fairbourne,

Like I said before, you have done everything you could to prepare Aruba for her next adventure. Take comfort in the fact that if she decides that college isn't for her, she is coming back to you. It's really is a win, win situation.

We took Sutter to the CCI puppy raiser workshop this Saturday. He was one of the youngest dogs there and he made us proud. People kept commenting on how well behaved he was and how he knew so much. maybe there is hope for this one!!

I know, I know, just being an anxious first timer puppy walker mummy!

Sutter sounds like he will be a champ! :)

Dianne

IMG_2454_zpskqio3ups.jpg

She is a sweet girl! Although, she looks NOTHING like a CCI dog she's a darling! Enjoy your time with her.

Great picture!

So today I got all of Aruba's bits and pieces ready for her to go tomorrow morning. I decided I would keep her photo album and take it with us when we go down to see her when she's just about finished her training and is about to be placed with her new Guide Dog Owner. I was worried in case it went "missing". Piggy is ready too!

Thank you all for your hugs and kind wishes - I have loved this journey with Aruba and being able to share it with you all. I must just say a big thank you also to the MODS here on CC who allow us to chat and veer off as we do talking about our dogs and their adventures and our adventures with them.

So no more to say but a few more photos of our beautiful girl ........ thank you all again from the bottom of my heart ....... :)

This is Nala, another guide dog puppy in training, teeny Rupert and Aruba in the garden at her party

image.jpg4_zpshzruywlc.jpg

fairbourne,

You're amazing how you give such great advice and are willing to do this truly difficult task over and over......I hope that Sutter decides that College is for him! I'm truly rooting for him!

Dianne, congratulations, again, on making it to Team Training. I wish you all the best in this wonderful adventure. Your life will NEVER be the same. It will be so full and enriched.

You will have a partner who truly believes in you and is YOURS completely.

The process is exhausting, to say the least, but it is so worth it. ♥

Keep your eyes wide open; pay attention; study hard and enjoy every last minute......take lots of pictures and keep an album [you won't be sorry], so that you can look back on this amazing experience and can smile, laugh and cry.

I can't look at my album of Brenda and me during Team Training, since she passed last year. I know when I do, I'll cry my way through it. She brought me out of the corners of life and put me right in the middle of it all.......she made me brave and taught me to love life again! I'll forever be grateful to that LITTLE BLACK LAB NAMED BRENDA!!!! ♥

So today I got all of Aruba's bits and pieces ready for her to go tomorrow morning. I decided I would keep her photo album and take it with us when we go down to see her when she's just about finished her training and is about to be placed with her new Guide Dog Owner. I was worried in case it went "missing". Piggy is ready too!

Thank you all for your hugs and kind wishes - I have loved this journey with Aruba and being able to share it with you all. I must just say a big thank you also to the MODS here on CC who allow us to chat and veer off as we do talking about our dogs and their adventures and our adventures with them.

So no more to say but a few more photos of our beautiful girl ........ thank you all again from the bottom of my heart ....... :)

This is Nala, another guide dog puppy in training, teeny Rupert and Aruba in the garden at her party

image.jpg4_zpshzruywlc.jpg

Don't you just love their faces! They have their very own unique looks! Love it!

Hi Aruba......♥ ♥ ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

After she got the message ......

image.jpg4_zpsagckxuhg.jpg

I can hardly see the screen........Aruba, you are such a pretty girl. Please go and know that the world has fallen in love with you ♥

You will be in good hands; well cared for and loved! Make us all proud, as I know you will ♥

Dianne, congratulations, again, on making it to Team Training. I wish you all the best in this wonderful adventure. Your life will NEVER be the same. It will be so full and enriched.

Keep your eyes wide open; pay attention; study hard and enjoy every last minute......take lots of pictures and keep an album [you won't be sorry], so that you can look back on this amazing experience and can smile, laugh and cry.

I can't look at my album of Brenda and me during Team Training, since she passed last year. I know when I do, I'll cry my way through it. She brought me out of the corners of life and put me right in the middle of it all.......she made me brave and taught me to love life again! I'll forever be grateful to that LITTLE BLACK LAB NAMED BRENDA!!!! ♥

We had a wonderful woman named Dana who worked for CCI at the Long Island, NY campus when we were up at team training. The entire two weeks we were there, she followed our class around and took pictures. After graduation, she sent us all the pictures she took. She had them broken down so we got just the pictures with us in them plus some of the entire class.

We had a wonderful woman named Dana who worked for CCI at the Long Island, NY campus when we were up at team training. The entire two weeks we were there, she followed our class around and took pictures. After graduation, she sent us all the pictures she took. She had them broken down so we got just the pictures with us in them plus some of the entire class.

I have a picture on my bedroom wall, that Morey took, of Brenda sitting next to me, at Team Training, as I'm reaching down to pat her. I was saying, "you're going to be the start of a whole new life for me, just YOU and ME!!"

I remember how excited I was that she was going to be mine to take home with me forever. How excited I was that I would be free to work and to travel.....never again to be afraid of the world around me. Allowing my beautiful husband to be free as well.

And, now I have this big, huge boy who walks and works with me; who keeps me company and rests his head on my lap. Who I don't have to bend over to pat because he's so tall. I have made new memories with this wonderful dog; named HORTON.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Roz. Its starting to get very real. I am reading through my maunal and starting to pack and make my "to do list" before I leave.

Dianne