Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

So today I got all of Aruba's bits and pieces ready for her to go tomorrow morning. I decided I would keep her photo album and take it with us when we go down to see her when she's just about finished her training and is about to be placed with her new Guide Dog Owner. I was worried in case it went "missing". Piggy is ready too!

Thank you all for your hugs and kind wishes - I have loved this journey with Aruba and being able to share it with you all. I must just say a big thank you also to the MODS here on CC who allow us to chat and veer off as we do talking about our dogs and their adventures and our adventures with them.

So no more to say but a few more photos of our beautiful girl ........ thank you all again from the bottom of my heart ....... :)

This is Nala, another guide dog puppy in training, teeny Rupert and Aruba in the garden at her party

image.jpg4_zpshzruywlc.jpg

She is truly a beautiful girl. I have tears in my eyes thinking about having to say goodbye to her. Sending big hugs across the pond to you.

Dianne

She's gone - head high and tail wagging, striding off into Graham from Guide Dogs' car! Off on her new adventures and enroute to the training centre and on the way they are collecting another trainee pup called Innes - so Aruba will have a new boyfriend already - sorry Horty! ;)

Of course, I woke up blubbing and dreading it all, wishing I could just turn over and go back to sleep and it would all be a dream! All her bits and pieces were already packed and Piggy was the last to go in her nice pink bag.

Funnily enough, we all had a sense of excitement or anticipation or something I can't quite explain, as the other two dogs knew something hugely different from their routine was happening.

Graham told us he has turned up to collect pups to find a yellow post it note on the door with the message "Gone away, no forwarding address"! Only kidding, but boy, oh boy, that thought crossed my mind lots last night!

Anyway, as DKD has reminded me kindly, we've done our job and now it's over to the experts at Guide Dogs to turn our precious, beautiful girl into someone else's life changer.

We will be so proud of her - but a teeny, weeny bit of me won't be terribly disappointed if she wants to come home to us.

So if you can bear it, here are a couple of photos ....... And thanks again for all the hugs and love winging it's way across here.:)

We have discussed the arrival of another pup, most likely late September/October time ...... want to do this journey all again with us???? :D:D

This is Aruba on the day she arrived to us, with a little worried face and full of wonder ....... training centre seemed such a long way off ....

imagejpg5_zps99bfb9ee.jpg

Way to Go Aruba!...We are all proud of you and of course your Mom.

Fairboune what can I say other than thanks again for letting us tag along on your great adventure, and I am sure we would all like to do it again this fall.

She's gone - head high and tail wagging, striding off into Graham from Guide Dogs' car! Off on her new adventures and enroute to the training centre and on the way they are collecting another trainee pup called Innes - so Aruba will have a new boyfriend already - sorry Horty! ;)

Of course, I woke up blubbing and dreading it all, wishing I could just turn over and go back to sleep and it would all be a dream! All her bits and pieces were already packed and Piggy was the last to go in her nice pink bag.

Funnily enough, we all had a sense of excitement or anticipation or something I can't quite explain, as the other two dogs knew something hugely different from their routine was happening.

Graham told us he has turned up to collect pups to find a yellow post it note on the door with the message "Gone away, no forwarding address"! Only kidding, but boy, oh boy, that thought crossed my mind lots last night!

Anyway, as DKD has reminded me kindly, we've done our job and now it's over to the experts at Guide Dogs to turn our precious, beautiful girl into someone else's life changer.

We will be so proud of her - but a teeny, weeny bit of me won't be terribly disappointed if she wants to come home to us.

So if you can bear it, here are a couple of photos ....... And thanks again for all the hugs and love winging it's way across here.:)

We have discussed the arrival of another pup, most likely late September/October time ...... want to do this journey all again with us???? :D:D

This is Aruba on the day she arrived to us, with a little worried face and full of wonder ....... training centre seemed such a long way off ....

Darn blurry screen! I'm reading every word you write and my tears are coming.

Safe travels dear Aruba.....God Bless!!!!

Then, the picture of that sweet little girl as a pup, with her ears back and eyes wide open. Such a darling baby!

She's shown you that you can be a remarkable PuppyWalker and that you should do this again, after you cruise and take a break. Your other two will be looking for her, I'm sure.

I'm sending you warm, loving hugs and once again thanking you for a job well done!

And today .... what a difference a year makes! Matching top and coat! And that's Poppy's nose you can see in the bottom corner of the photo.

image.jpg1_zps1jsgppw9.jpg

Poppy knows something's up. Aruba is so beautiful, as are you.

This is a wonderful picture of the two of you.

Way to Go Aruba!...We are all proud of you and of course your Mom.

Fairboune what can I say other than thanks again for letting us tag along on your great adventure, and I am sure we would all like to do it again this fall.

I would LOVE to do it again and follow along with Fairbourne and her PuppyWalking adventures.

It's like being a GrandPup......we get all the pleasure of watching and cheering and none of the work!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks fairbourne...that was almost as bad as turning in one of our pups. Will they give you progress reports? We get them once a month with our pups in advanced training. And I can't wait to go through number two with you!!

Thanks fairbourne...that was almost as bad as turning in one of our pups. Will they give you progress reports? We get them once a month with our pups in advanced training. And I can't wait to go through number two with you!!

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

Hi Guys!

Ok, so I contacted the USDA and asked for information about the service dog stuff and told them where we were headed. They sent me a form for each place we are planning to enter. Even and they even told me an old form for the Bahamas. I don't know why they sent it since obviously there is a new form, but anyway as I am going through the Grand Turks paperwork, there is an entry fee of 50.00? Does that sound correct? Is there entry fees for the ports?

Hi Guys!

Ok, so I contacted the USDA and asked for information about the service dog stuff and told them where we were headed. They sent me a form for each place we are planning to enter. Even and they even told me an old form for the Bahamas. I don't know why they sent it since obviously there is a new form, but anyway as I am going through the Grand Turks paperwork, there is an entry fee of 50.00? Does that sound correct? Is there entry fees for the ports?

Remember, these ports can impose a tax on you [in the USA if there were a tax imposed on pets, they would be dismissed for a Service Dog.] If the port you're entering is a USA port, you do NOT have to pay a fee.

Do they ask for the fee to be sent with the paperwork, or will the paperwork and fee be presented upon arrival? If they ask for the fee upon arrival, you can try and claim that you were not prepared to pay such a fee. If they're asking for it in advance of arrival, you may have to pay it.

I NEVER pay an extra fee. If they won't let me off the ship with my dog, without a fee, and they're a foreign port.....I stay on the ship and I don't spend my money in their port.

What a little doll she was/is. God speed to Aruba. Thank you for sharing her journey with us and I look forward to hearing about your new puppy!

Dianne

What a little doll she was/is. God speed to Aruba. Thank you for sharing her journey with us and I look forward to hearing about your new puppy!

Dianne

I also applaud you and Aruba. I've also been following your journey and am genuinely emotional about your love of Aruba and your overwhelming generosity. I admit misting up a bit myself. What a wonderful person you are and what a wonderful little person Aruba is and will continue to be.

On to the next chapter.

Well it's been a funny old couple of days, missing "our girl", handing out 2 biscuits instead of 3 ......

Anyway, we had a quick phone call from the training centre today to tell us she's fine, eating well and at the time of the call, was playing with her new friends - Lottie and Yoko, two black girl Labradors. She's met Lottie before (they were the "meet and greet at the annual Guide Dog Ball") but Yoko is a brand new friend. Aruba was a bit "ooooh what's happening yesterday" and hadn't "performed", but has made up for it today! LOL!!!:rolleyes:

So we are very happy she has new pals and that's she's fine and she has Piggy!

The trainer said she would call me again next week as she will have a better assessment of Aruba then. But I'm so glad she called and that "our beautiful girl" is just fine.

Oh the one thing she did ask was had we named her Aruba - as she's never ever come across an Aruba before - no we didn't, and she wondered if she would be (or maybe should be) called Ruby. No, I said, she's not Ruby, although the DH did call her Rhubarb on occasion! Her name is Aruba and that suits her down to the ground. I hope they don't change her name!

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments but honestly I don't feel we've done anything special, it's been an absolute delight with Aruba.

DKD - I'm not sure how often they will update us - we will find out.

Well it's been a funny old couple of days, missing "our girl", handing out 2 biscuits instead of 3 ......

Anyway, we had a quick phone call from the training centre today to tell us she's fine, eating well and at the time of the call, was playing with her new friends - Lottie and Yoko, two black girl Labradors. She's met Lottie before (they were the "meet and greet at the annual Guide Dog Ball") but Yoko is a brand new friend. Aruba was a bit "ooooh what's happening yesterday" and hadn't "performed", but has made up for it today! LOL!!!:rolleyes:

The trainer said she would call me again next week as she will have a better assessment of Aruba then. But I'm so glad she called and that "our beautiful girl" is just fine.

Oh the one thing she did ask was had we named her Aruba - as she's never ever come across an Aruba before - no we didn't, and she wondered if she would be (or maybe should be) called Ruby. No, I said, she's not Ruby, although the DH did call her Rhubarb on occasion! Her name is Aruba and that suits her down to the ground. I hope they don't change her name!

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments but honestly I don't feel we've done anything special, it's been an absolute delight with Aruba.

Fairbourne, I've been thinking of her everyday and even had a dream about her! In my dream I was calling her, "Aruba, come here, Aruba, come!" But, she kept wandering off. Boy, talk about dreams and their meanings.

I'm glad to hear that she's fitting in and finding her paws. Just like people, it takes some dogs a bit of time to find their comfort zone in strange places.

Like I tell all strangers who want to pat Horton.....these Labs are amazing beings; you can love them and put a worlds worth of work into them but then you pass them off to someone else and they soon learn to "love the one they're with!" It's not being fickle, it's just wanting to please everyone and be the best they can be all the time! Love Labs!

Thanks for keeping us all updated on "our" Aruba [i hope they don't change her name too!] It's so her!

I know that feeling well fairbourne. But things will start to get a little easier as time goes on and you start hearing about how well Aruba is doing. Plus you have your cruise to think about.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but our second puppy, Davis, the one that didn't like college, is coming to stay with us for a week tomorrow!! We have seen pictures of him at his forever home but it's going to be great to spend time with him again. Maybe he will play with Sutter and get him tired out.

I know that feeling well fairbourne. But things will start to get a little easier as time goes on and you start hearing about how well Aruba is doing. Plus you have your cruise to think about.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but our second puppy, Davis, the one that didn't like college, is coming to stay with us for a week tomorrow!! We have seen pictures of him at his forever home but it's going to be great to spend time with him again. Maybe he will play with Sutter and get him tired out.

Look out Sutter here comes trouble! That's so great that you get to see Davis, he'll be so happy to be with you! Have fun! I know you're going to have a very busy weekend and week ahead of you! ;)

DKD - It's a funny old feeling ..... The house is a lot quieter, none of that wonderful, curious puppy dog energy and of course, none of that "No Aruba, give me back my slipper" cries with Max looking at me with his big soulful brown eyes "it was nae me Mum"..... I can leave my slippers at the bottom of the stairs when I go up to bed and they are still exactly where I left them in the morning!

My lovely friend took me out, to keep me busy I'm sure, and we were walking around our town heading to lunch. It was strange not to have a lead in my hand and a little black person on my left. My friend was laughing at me as I was stopping and waiting at the kerbside before crossing the road, even if no car was coming and then walking in a very straight line to the other side! So talk about who got trained in the last year or so! ;):). I told her it will stand me in very good stead for the next pup! :D Actualy, truth be told, she missed not having Aruba with us as well! Thankfully we didn't meet anyone we knew as I was dreading the question "Where's Aruba?" And she's lucky I wasn't instructing her to "go forward, and steady!"

Another thing this whole exercise has taught me, is to look for disabled access to places, and I'm sometimes surprised at the places that have great access and others which do not. Oh and my biggest bugbear, those selfish people who park on the pavement (sidewalk) and you have to walk out into the road to get by. Not just for guide dogs, but for wheelchair users and of course Mums with buggies.

Something else I learnt. You know those road crossings which have loud beepers when the green man is on and it's safe to cross. Well what happens when the noise is turned off, and it is at night if the the crossing is in a residential area, how does a blind person know it's safe to cross? Ah well, underneath the little yellow box (I'm talking UK here) where you press the button to stop the traffic, there is a little knob thingy which swivels around when the green man is on - so a blind person can reach under and feel this. I never would have known that! I only found this out the other day, so I'm going to look next time for this knob. This is good to know as not all blind people have dogs to walk them safely across the road.

So that's your piece of useful information for the weekend!

DKD - that's just brilliant Davis is coming back for his holidays - I'm sure you are hopeful of some tiring out play with Sutter - LOL!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Edited by fairbourne

And today .... what a difference a year makes! Matching top and coat! And that's Poppy's nose you can see in the bottom corner of the photo.

image.jpg1_zps1jsgppw9.jpg

I loved this photo of the two of you, and the one of tiny Aruba on such a BIG leash (lead) with that "worried Lab puppy" look on her little face. You have written so well about puppy walking with a perfect balance between stories about the antics of a typical pup and the big responsibility you were preparing her to assume.

Your diary entries here and the photos would make a marvelous magazine article. Have you considered pulling it together to submit somewhere?

I loved this photo of the two of you, and the one of tiny Aruba on such a BIG leash (lead) with that "worried Lab puppy" look on her little face. You have written so well about puppy walking with a perfect balance between stories about the antics of a typical pup and the big responsibility you were preparing her to assume.

Your diary entries here and the photos would make a marvelous magazine article. Have you considered pulling it together to submit somewhere?

Chris that is a great idea!...you should do that Fairbourne; the back and forth between Aruba and Horton alone would be great reading for other folks.