Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

This is a video of me training Katie to turn the battery operated night light on and off in anticipation of the cruise. I have peripheral neuropathy and was worried that I might hurt myself in the dark cabin on the ship.

Katie is a cutie - it is amazing how smart these dogs are. My dog Henri is pretty cooperative to have her teeth brushed - but her big tongue gets in the way since she is trying to get that toothpaste!

Dianne

My upcoming cruise onboard the Pacific Princess [Princess is celebrating 50 Years of cruising] on December 3rd, it's going to mimic the "Love Boat" series. Everyone is trying to speculate who's going to be onboard........Captain Stubbing, Isaac, Gopher.......who knows. They're all alive and no one is letting out the secret guests. They promise lots of surprises. A lot of folks want to see Charo. Personally, I think Horton's going to be the "hit" of the ship.

This ship only holds 700 passengers so it's going to be one of the smallest cruise ships I've ever been on and for 14 days. How bored will I be?

They have lots of commemorative stuff to sell. I know I'm going to come back with lots of junk!!!! It'll be fun. Morey would have gotten a kick out of this one!! He could be such a "groupie!"

Sounds like you had a great weekend with Jagger. How long until is training is finished and he can be with you full-time?

Dianne

Not sure on the training. I can see a HUGE difference so it's going well.

The biggest hold-up is having my own place. I'm on the waiting list and hopefully I'll get in soon. Then I can have him at least on the weekends. I would say, however, that I could have him full time within the next two months or so. We need to start working with a harness.

Not sure on the training. I can see a HUGE difference so it's going well.

The biggest hold-up is having my own place. I'm on the waiting list and hopefully I'll get in soon. Then I can have him at least on the weekends. I would say, however, that I could have him full time within the next two months or so. We need to start working with a harness.

And, do you want to see and feel a "life changing" experience.......Live with a Service Dog-Nothing quite like it!!!!!

Your cruise sounds like it is going to be so much fun Roz! No doubt that Horton will be the most popular guest.

Dianne

Dianne, I found the cruise about a year and a half ago and when I went to book it there were very few cabins left with Veranda's. It had booked-up almost immediately. The ship holds less than 700 passengers and it was going to promise some big surprises. We know for sure that "Doc" Bernie Koppel [from the Love Boat series] will be on the entire cruise, we'll see just who else shows up during the 14 days.

Princess has contests for the "Entertainer of the Year" and a lot of them will be entertaining us amongst others. It should be fun.

Horton and I might be hiding out more than usual on this trip.

Cindra,

Our ports will be Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Quetzal, Puntarenas, Colon and Cartagena.

Dianne

Dianne,

If you comply with the requirements of Colombia, you will be fine. They had the strictest rules. Once we got there, a local vet did a very quick exam of Pedro, filled out a form and we were cleared. The tour we took was very accommodating. The emerald school workers even got Pedro a bowl of water. They were very friendly.

We had an easier time in Costa Rica. The ship took care of the arrangements and kept us up to date. The tour we took there was also handicapped and service dog friendly.

We didn't take him off the ship in Colon, but we could have. It just didn't look like a pleasant place to wander, beyond the pier area.

We haven't been to Mexico with him yet...next year's cruise...but I hear it's a piece of cake.

Cindra

Roz, your cruise sounds like it will be so much fun! Wish we were going with you. I went on my first cruise as a single woman in 1976 and thought it was the best vacation ever, so never missed a Love Boat episode when it started soon after that. I still tune in to re-runs now and then...you and Horton will have a ball.

Roz, your cruise sounds like it will be so much fun! Wish we were going with you. I went on my first cruise as a single woman in 1976 and thought it was the best vacation ever, so never missed a Love Boat episode when it started soon after that. I still tune in to re-runs now and then...you and Horton will have a ball.

I wish you were onboard too! While cruising onboard a Princess ship they show re-runs of the Love Boat series all the time. It'll be fun to watch while onboard the Pacific Princess [never done that before!]

Sounds like such a fun cruise! Horton is going to be a huge star. :)

Sometimes it can be a bit much. I hope I don't find myself going back to my cabin or trying to find an empty lounge for some peace and quiet!

Don't get me wrong I do love sharing my wonderful boy, he's such a handsome and great dog but, at times, I wish we both were invisible, if you know what I mean!

Have any of you ever felt like ENOUGH with the wanting to pat him and just be with him, he needs "down time" as much as I do!

And, I don't want to be rude to anyone while trying get my space and time!

Roz - I haven't done a cruise yet with Jagger...but oh yeah, I do know what you mean.

As one of the trainers told me, "you will learn to do the glazed over....far off in the distance stare so you don't look at anyone look".

We did class at the Mall last week. I am learning to say, "Thank you for asking, but he is working right now". (that's of course for the ones who DO ask first)

I need Jagger not to think outings are big social events. He can be a social butterfly and that will be a problem if I let everyone pet him. I know he gets tired of it after awhile when everyone comes at him.

Not that everyone on my upcoming cruises is on FB, but I did a post where I let people ask questions. Gave me a great way to talk about not petting him.

As I'm sure most of us know, there is no quick trip to any store....

Edited by thephantomsgirl
clarity

I have no idea where this came from but when we're in a large crowd that we have to maneuver our way through Horton will actually walk in front of me and guide me through it. I had sun glasses on and my SIL said, OMG, these folks think he's a seeing eye dog. They literally parted a huge path for Horton and I to walk through. This is not part of his training but it sure came very natural for him to do this behavior and it kept either one of us from being trampled.

Sometimes I have to "correct" him when we're waiting in line with a crowd of people at an elevator he will try to wane his way through the crowd to the front........I find myself apologizing for his behavior, if I don't catch it right away.

He's a natural "crowd pusher!"

Wexler is very social. He thinks everyone is there for him. We have to go back to the cabin around 3 for him to take a nap. If we dont, we will not be able to go out at night. He will bug us until we go back to the cabin. He's very spoiled! And I have no idea who made him that way. 😇

Wexler is very social. He thinks everyone is there for him. We have to go back to the cabin around 3 for him to take a nap. If we dont, we will not be able to go out at night. He will bug us until we go back to the cabin. He's very spoiled! And I have no idea who made him that way.

Yep! Spoiled like little children. I love it!

Today I was in a very important meeting with some top politico's in our community and a gentleman got up and dropped his glasses, Horton got up, picked up the man's glasses and took them to his bed [just like a squirrel storing food for the winter] I was so embarrassed! The man said, "can you please get my glasses back!" Horton was overthinking his tasks!!! :rolleyes:

Dianne,

If you comply with the requirements of Colombia, you will be fine. They had the strictest rules. Once we got there, a local vet did a very quick exam of Pedro, filled out a form and we were cleared. The tour we took was very accommodating. The emerald school workers even got Pedro a bowl of water. They were very friendly.

We had an easier time in Costa Rica. The ship took care of the arrangements and kept us up to date. The tour we took there was also handicapped and service dog friendly.

We didn't take him off the ship in Colon, but we could have. It just didn't look like a pleasant place to wander, beyond the pier area.

We haven't been to Mexico with him yet...next year's cruise...but I hear it's a piece of cake.

Cindra

Thanks for all the good information Cindra. My cruise isn't until next November; I will start looking into what I need for the ports once we make it through the holidays.

Dianne

Yep! Spoiled like little children. I love it!

Today I was in a very important meeting with some top politico's in our community and a gentleman got up and dropped his glasses, Horton got up, picked up the man's glasses and took them to his bed [just like a squirrel storing food for the winter] I was so embarrassed! The man said, "can you please get my glasses back!" Horton was overthinking his tasks!!! :rolleyes:

I also have a social butterfly. She thinks that everyone is there to greet her. I think that is part of their easy going temperament.

At my son's wedding, one of the bridesmaids set her phone down on the floor next to my wheelchair to help me with my corsage. The next thing you know, Henri had the cellphone in her mouth trying to hand it back to her. You should have seen the look on her face - she was horrified, she thought Henri was going to chomp on her phone. I had to explain that she had picked up my cell phone so many times that she was just being helpful. Of course, she is supposed to wait for a command, but she doesn't always do so!

Dianne

I also have a social butterfly. She thinks that everyone is there to greet her. I think that is part of their easy going temperament.

At my son's wedding, one of the bridesmaids set her phone down on the floor next to my wheelchair to help me with my corsage. The next thing you know, Henri had the cellphone in her mouth trying to hand it back to her. You should have seen the look on her face - she was horrified, she thought Henri was going to chomp on her phone. I had to explain that she had picked up my cell phone so many times that she was just being helpful. Of course, she is supposed to wait for a command, but she doesn't always do so!

Dianne

Aren't they the best overthinkers! :p

I love these stories!

I have a date with Jagger today. We are going to go to downtown Deland. Unless it pours. Then we'll just hang out together.

Last night we went to a double feature movie - both Mockingjay Part 1 and 2. I didn't take Jagger, but Sarah and Khai brought Jada and Fargo. They were such good dogs. If it'd not have been such a drive, I'd have gotten Jagger.

Was good to see as someone had spilled popcorn and both dogs didn't touch it. Have to admit Jada looked longingly at a piece on the ground, but she didn't go for it. That would be a real test for Jagger.... :rolleyes:

I think this will show up. Jada is Jagger's sister by the way.

Edited by thephantomsgirl

Sometimes it can be a bit much. I hope I don't find myself going back to my cabin or trying to find an empty lounge for some peace and quiet!

Don't get me wrong I do love sharing my wonderful boy, he's such a handsome and great dog but, at times, I wish we both were invisible, if you know what I mean!

Have any of you ever felt like ENOUGH with the wanting to pat him and just be with him, he needs "down time" as much as I do!

And, I don't want to be rude to anyone while trying get my space and time!

We are starting to have an issue with Orson and too many kids. Especially when we are doing an awareness or a fundraiser. He loves people but small kids are starting to bug him a little. We know he's had enough when he goes behind us and lays down or gets under the table. Sutter on the other hand has to learn that everyone is not there to pet him.