Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Yep, I thought I'd be so smart and skip the pie and eat everything else.....OMG! I'm a stuffed turkey!!!! But, it was so worth it. I hope everyone else had a super, stuffed and warm holiday!

Horton is off to the USDA Vet today for his paperwork and health exam. He doesn't need any vaccines. It should be a quick in and out.

We leave on Thursday morning for 2 weeks.....Holy cow! There is so much to pack for a two week cruise for him. He'll get his Heartguard and flea/tick chewable tomorrow but all the food/toys/dental chews/rice cakes/collars/grooming aids/emergency ear meds., etc. fill up an entire suit case. Thank goodness I'm driving to the dock. Although, remember that the stuff that you need to bring for your dog is considered "medical equipment" and you should NOT be charged for it when flying.

He goes to the groomer on Wednesday for his mani/pedi and I get mine the same day [during my lunch hour.]

My house looks like a clothing store was attacked by a mad shopper.

I can't wait to get to my cabin, unpack and collapse! ;)

Boy, it's gonna be real quiet around here for two long weeks. :D have a great time Roz & Horton!! Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

Luckily we ate at my sister's place and she inherited the pie leftovers!

Contractors due today to completely demolish our kitchen and begin plumbing and electrical work for the new one. Old floors are already gone so we are semi-living in a construction zone for the holidays. Big mess.

Meanwhile, we head to the USDA vet this week to get Raylene an updated health certificate - cruise coming up!!

Our vet AND USDA appointments are two weeks from today. Still waiting for the rabies titer results to come in. I have to still apply for several import permits, but need that titer. Parted with another $200 today for yet another test. I'm getting tired of this... Glad that next cruise will be easy, with none of this BS of this one.

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes! Since this is one of Princesses smaller ships [700 passengers], give or take a few cast members from the Love Boat, I'm really looking forward to the "small ship" experience. The walks from forward to aft won't seem like 3 football fields and I won't need a sit-down break in between.

It should be fun to watch all the "stuff" that Princess has planned for us! I know that Norman Love's chocolate extravaganza's will be everywhere! When I come home I'll tell you all about it!

Take care of each other and try and get along while I'm away!

Bon Voyage Roz and Horton.

Have a fabulous time and we look forward to hearing all about your adventures when you get back - I'm sure you will have a tail or two to tell! :D

Thank you so much.......I'm so danged tired from all the preparation I'm going to go to my cabin [with a foo-foo drink in hand], sit myself down on the veranda and NOT MOVE for at least 10 minutes!!! :D

Roz,

Have a fabulous time on your special cruise! Is there anyone you are hoping to see on board? I wish they would do this on our cruise.

I share your love of the smaller ships. Back in 1980, when I first started cruising, these would be considered large! We will be on the sister ship(Ocean Princess) for Christmas and New Year. It will be so good to just relax and not have to put on hiking boots, just to have lunch.

Can't wait to hear all about your adventures, when you return.

Bon Voyage!

Cindra

I know this tread is old, but I am so happy to have found this. We have 2 service dogs for 2 family members and we thought that we probably would never be able to fulfil our dream of a long or short cruise anywhere. Thank you so much for proving us wrong and blazing a trail for yourself and braving the uncertainties of such and endeavor. You are an inspiration to us and great ambassadors for service animals.

We have one dilemma. Our dogs are so sensitive (wheat, corn, chicken) that we make their food to prevent hot spots and ear infections. We use potatos, sweet potatos, brown rice, carrots, beats and either canned salmon, hamburger meat or pork roasts. Most can be served raw except for the rice prep and meat. Does anyone have any experience with this? We use a microwave to prep the food, and I know the ships will store some food for us.

Any thoughts?

...We have one dilemma. Our dogs are so sensitive (wheat, corn, chicken) that we make their food to prevent hot spots and ear infections. We use potatos, sweet potatos, brown rice, carrots, beats and either canned salmon, hamburger meat or pork roasts. Most can be served raw except for the rice prep and meat. Does anyone have any experience with this? We use a microwave to prep the food, and I know the ships will store some food for us.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the thread!

Others may have some experience with bringing fresh food aboard. I have not, but I did work in the cruise industry some years ago. My best advice is to talk to your vet now about gradually introducing a limited protein diet to use for travel and see how the dogs tolerate it. My dog has sensitivities but has done very well with dry Royal Canin potato venison prescription food.

If that won't work, talk with your specific cruise line's special services department to raise your question. If someone says, "no problem," get everything in writing with an senior management person's authorization by name. Before departure, you would need to make sure your provisions arrive in your room and have a back-up plan if they don't.

Depending on your departure city and itinerary, it's possible any raw, unpackaged, fresh meat and produce other than the ship's inventoried provisions might not be allowed on board or could be confiscated from your hand or checked luggage. The second issue is that using a microwave, hot plate or even an iron for clothing is generally not permitted in your stateroom.

Celebrity requires you to sign the following: "...Our ships are not required to provide food or care for your animal, nor can they be left in the stateroom unattended." Holland America says on their form: "Most guests bring their own food for their service animals. For a fee, Holland America Line will arrange for food for your service animal with at least 30 days advance notice. We cannot, however, guarantee the availability of all brands of food. Service animal food costs will be billed to your onboard account."

As a result, I think most of us package up daily meals in baggies and bring a full suitcase for the dog, along with all meds, first aid kit, toys, grooming items and so on. My worst nightmare would be a cruise line losing the bag containing all the food, so we usually roll that one aboard with us, or at least several days' worth, and the rest divided between our two checked bags.

Hope this helps a little.

Roz,

Have a fabulous time on your special cruise! Is there anyone you are hoping to see on board? I wish they would do this on our cruise.

I share your love of the smaller ships. Back in 1980, when I first started cruising, these would be considered large! We will be on the sister ship(Ocean Princess) for Christmas and New Year. It will be so good to just relax and not have to put on hiking boots, just to have lunch.

Can't wait to hear all about your adventures, when you return.

Bon Voyage!

Cindra

Cindra, I do love the small ships. Our very first cruise was in 1985 onboard the Sun Viking [RCCL]. We thought the ship was huge. There were about 800 people and we fell in love with cruising right then and there. Then we boarded the Celebrity Summit with way more than 800 people and we were overwhelmed.

I would love to meet Captain Stubbing, Gopher and Isaac. They say that Charo will be onboard too.

I can't wait to see the hoopla that Princess makes. I know Horton will be much loved!

Please make sure that everyone [DKD] behaves until I return!!!!!

I know this tread is old, but I am so happy to have found this. We have 2 service dogs for 2 family members and we thought that we probably would never be able to fulfil our dream of a long or short cruise anywhere. Thank you so much for proving us wrong and blazing a trail for yourself and braving the uncertainties of such and endeavor. You are an inspiration to us and great ambassadors for service animals.

We have one dilemma. Our dogs are so sensitive (wheat, corn, chicken) that we make their food to prevent hot spots and ear infections. We use potatos, sweet potatos, brown rice, carrots, beats and either canned salmon, hamburger meat or pork roasts. Most can be served raw except for the rice prep and meat. Does anyone have any experience with this? We use a microwave to prep the food, and I know the ships will store some food for us.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the most wonderful blog on Cruise Critic. You will love all the folks who add to this thread almost daily.

You don't have a dilemma at all.

Depending on the cruise line that you choose, there will be a refrigerator in your cabin [on most.] Your dogs food should be packed in a container that will keep it fresh [refrigerator type, rolling device] that stays with you at all times. With the great containers that are out there with wheels and handles that are used for transporting hearts and lungs to hospitals, you could use the very same thing to transport your dogs food. No problem!

My dog uses dry kibble, salmon oil and a glucosamine chew. I measure each feeding into a zip lock bag along with 3 squirts of salmon oil and his chew. I put the zip locks bags into a container that goes where I go. It enters the ship with me and doesn't leave my side. When I get on the ship I drop the bag [and, I do mean "drop", it's so heavy] onto the desk area where I'll feed him from. The bag also contains his two aluminum bowls. His food doesn't need refrigeration.

I have NEVER had a problem with this bag staying with me, either on an airplane or boarding a ship. The bag is considered "medical equipment" and immigration and TSA NEVER question the contents. They scan it along with everything else that I'm boarding with.

The one thing that I will not mess with or waiver from is my dogs diet. Changing food can be catastrophic for some dogs and literally render them useless to you because they're so sick from the food changes!

Traveling and especially cruising with your Service Dog can be so much fun if you're prepared, use your good judgment, plan well for lots of stops [filled with questions from your fellow passengers] and make sure that you remember your dogs favorite toys. Also, make sure that he/she will sleep comfortably by making a bed for him either on the couch in the room [cover it with extra pool towels] or ask for a blanket and you can make a comfy bed, in a corner, on the floor. If your dog MUST sleep in bed with you ask your Steward for some extra bedding.

Allow for some "down" time where your dog can take a nap in quiet and away from the maddening crowds. And, have some play time by finding an empty lounge and throw his ball and let him romp around!

This can be a very pleasant experience or it can be a nightmare that your dog will not enjoy. It's up to you!

Cindra, I do love the small ships. Our very first cruise was in 1985 onboard the Sun Viking [RCCL]. We thought the ship was huge. There were about 800 people and we fell in love with cruising right then and there. Then we boarded the Celebrity Summit with way more than 800 people and we were overwhelmed.

I would love to meet Captain Stubbing, Gopher and Isaac. They say that Charo will be onboard too.

I can't wait to see the hoopla that Princess makes. I know Horton will be much loved!

Please make sure that everyone [DKD] behaves until I return!!!!!

I resemble that remark!! Have a great time anyway Roz! :D

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes! Since this is one of Princesses smaller ships [700 passengers], give or take a few cast members from the Love Boat, I'm really looking forward to the "small ship" experience. The walks from forward to aft won't seem like 3 football fields and I won't need a sit-down break in between.

It should be fun to watch all the "stuff" that Princess has planned for us! I know that Norman Love's chocolate extravaganza's will be everywhere! When I come home I'll tell you all about it!

Take care of each other and try and get along while I'm away!

Bon Voyage Roz and Horton - can't wait to hear all about it, the cruise sounds like it is going to be so much fun!

Dianne

Bon Voyage Roz and Horton - can't wait to hear all about it, the cruise sounds like it is going to be so much fun!

Dianne

Thank you! Horton's at the groomers now. I had to ask them to shave [his private area] because as he's getting older he's in need of "man-scaping!" His paws are also very furry and can be a hindrance on escalators. I'd hate to see him get that fur caught in an escalator......gives me the shivers to think about it!!!! :(

Ran Pedro to the vet for a quick vaccination, so I can apply for the export permits. I hope karma exists, so those country policy makers get it in the end... Pedro's rabies titer came back with a level of 15, while only .5 is required. He could vaccinate a whole island with just one lick! Keep fingers crossed that St. Kitts will grant him entry with just one titer.