Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindra, thank you so much for posting the island scenarios. Pretty annoying about St. Kitts after all you did in advance. It's on our itinerary for a future cruise - not sure if I want to go through all the aggravation, but I've never been there and would like to be able to tour. Will have to investigate this mystery permit application, I guess, and then decide if it's worth it.

Chris,

My advice to you, regarding St. Kitts, is to get the testing done a few months prior to your cruise. You'll need 2 rabies titer tests, 30 days minimum apart. They wouldn't let us in because we didn't apply early enough for their import permit. Give yourself plenty of time to get to get it all done.

We were able to get into Tobago today. We fedexed the documents to the Trinidad, but they never sent it. The officer in charge of Pedro on the ship is a great liaison between us and the port officials. Barbados is up next, not sure if we will be able to get in. Will keep you posted.

Cindra

I cruised earlier this month on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas, and there were at least three SDs (maybe four) on board!

One of the dogs (a yellow Lab) didn't like the small size of the box (it appeared to be around 3'x3'... I didn't look closely, it might have been 4'x4', but it looked pretty small to me, and I wasn't even the one who had to potty in it!). The crew put up a second box that seemed more like a 4'x6' size, and that worked better for him.

Both boxes had mulch in them (same as depicted in the videos posted a few pages back), and there was a lidded trash can for poop baggies right there as well. The boxes were located on Deck Four (what would be called the Promenade Deck on most lines) in an aft corner, so while the box itself was protected from rain, part of the walk to get there was exposed to rain (the part that goes alongside the dining room windows doesn't have a roof over it).

I don't have an SD myself, but just wanted to share this information.

Happy cruising to all!

And as a dog lover (with two black Labs and one chocolate Lab of my own), I am loving the pics of all your furry partners. Keep on posting -- except maybe Bonnie... she's so darn adorable with her puppiness that she makes my heart ache, so more pics of her cuteness and I just might die from overexposure to preciousness!

Thanks so much for the good info, Brillohead! Those boxes are somewhat small quarters, and you know how dogs like to walk around in circles before getting down to business!

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Royal was responsive to the situation and provided a second, larger box. I'm not sure if all ships would do the same, but at least on Navigator, they really do take care of their canine passengers!

Just got word from passenger services, and it's a "No" from Barbados...just as we thought. Pedro cannot enter, because we arrived by sea. It's not a big deal, as we have been here before, but still disappointing.

Tomorrow is Martinique. The French do not seem to have a problem with dogs, so we should be good to go. Antigua is the following day...another English port...could go either way. They never responded to my countless emails or import permit application. Keep your fingers crossed.

Cindra

It's Boxing Day in St. Vincent and everything is closed. Just as well, they don't allow dogs. Pedro and Bill are on the ship. I found some free wifi at the dock. I had him dressed in his nautical tux last night and the captain loved it. Christmas on board was different for us, but we had so much fun. I made stockings for our wait staff and cabin steward. Service got even better. LOL. Pedro is getting used to the sawdust in his potty box. He no longer lays down in it. Much better than the chunks of mulch that were bigger than him.

Got drenched on the dock. Trying to dry off in the breezeway. Pedro is safe and dry on board.

Check in later.

I find the "sawdust" annoying. Horton always tracks it right back onto the carpeting.

Why can't the ships get this part right???????? CYPRUS OR CEDAR MULCH......not tree bark, not wood shavings or the like!

I hope that you and Pedro are liking cruising enough to try it again!

Our dear, poor Horty! So sorry he went bonk into the door, Roz. Our Labs do seem to forget the basics when they want to go O-U-T... fortunately, they have tough noggins, though, don't they? Maybe the origin of the term "numb-skull."

Thanks Chris, he's doing better at stopping at the door and checking to see if it's open before he lunges at it!!!! :eek:

With all the wonderful doggie photos, Raylene has been pressing me to post one from her recent Fourth Birthday Cruise.

Here we are in the Sky Observation Lounge. Wasn't it nice of Celebrity to throw a party for hundreds of people in her honor? (Just kidding...it was the Captain's Club repeater event, but she seemed to enjoy it. One person asked me if she had her own Captain's Club number.)

P1090262Low%20Res_zpsu7ncxrfm.jpg

Another beautiful face. She's a beautiful girl!

Good morning!! Rich and I are back to cruising. Sailing Hawaii in April. He is now 3.5 years post transplant. Maybe we can meet up with Roz and meet the famous Horton. Aunty sunshine is ready for a big hug

Hello cruising bud. It's so good to see that Rich is well and the both of you will be off and traveling the high seas together.

Sunshine, you would love this big-boy, he's such a character and pure joy!!!!

I would love to meet-up on a cruise together. I'll be doing a 19 day Panama Canal in November. I've been thinking about doing something in between but April and May would be out as far as my job is concerned.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Royal was responsive to the situation and provided a second, larger box. I'm not sure if all ships would do the same, but at least on Navigator, they really do take care of their canine passengers!

Thank you for sharing the information about the potty box with us. The fact that the handler's and dogs have to be exposed to the elements in order for the dogs to relieve themselves is not so good. Especially when they wash down these decks [daily] and they have to be maneuvered by someone who has mobility issues.

Sharing what Horton did yesterday........I have verticle blinds in my living room. It was a very dreary day, I was opening them up to let in as much sunlight as I could [but I didn't open the sliding glass door, yet!] Horton was sitting across the room watching me and as soon as the blinds were completely open he took a running leap, right into the sliding glass door! He's lived in this home for 4 years, he knows the sound of the door opening.....really!!!!!! What the heck was he thinking?

The sound that his head made hitting the glass door was like a sonic boom! I swear he was dazed. I ran over to him and sat on the floor holding him for a few minutes, examining his nose and head for any injuries. What a dork!!!!!

He's fine, but he scared the bejeebers out of me! I opened the slider and told him to go outside, it's okay now and he very, very gingerly, with head lowered, very slowly walking outside. Later, I opened the door again and he walked out without slowing or lowering his head.

I have decals on the door for the adults and children to see that the door is closed. Any suggestions for what to do for a dog? Do I put decals on the window, only lower?

I NEVER had a problem with Brenda knowing when the door was opened or shut. Any suggestions, anyone!

Omg what a big goof!

Hope every one had a nice holiday. Unfortunately John and I got some kind of quick noro virus. His was Xmas eve and mine was the day after Xmas. We are still recovering as of today. We are hoping that my family isn't going to get it. So far so good.

Edited by rangeley

Hope every one had a nice holiday. Unfortunately John and I got some kind of quick noro virus. His was Xmas eve and mine was the day after Xmas. We are still recovering as of today. We are hoping that my family isn't going to get it. So far so good.

There is definitely something going around.......a lot of folks in my office are sick.

Feel well! Here comes a new year!!!!

I wish we could line up all the shiny black labs in one place and take a photo. Horton, Wexler, Aruba & Poppy, Henri, Raylene, and whoever else's name I'm forgetting...what a sight that would be.

Then we would add two more rows in front with the rest of our cyber family of other adorable pups for another round of photos. Tallest ones in the middle, and tiny Misty, Bonnie and Pedro down front!

Happy New Year, everybody!