Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Good Evening,

I will be cruising in November with my mobility support dog who is a 160-165 lb Newfoundland service dog. This will be his 1st cruise, he is super relaxed with all other travel so I anticipate the same reaction on the cruise. He enjoys hotels but always calls first dibs on the bathroom. Try getting him to move at 2 am..... LOL !

Anyhow, we will be traveling for 2 weeks on Celebrity going to Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao

St. Maarten, St Kitts and St Lucia & Aruba.

I have no firm plans to stay on the ship at get off at each of these islands, with the exception of St. Maarten ( tender only, and wheelchair do not mix for my comfort )

So I have printed out the paperwork that I have found so far, but feel that I need a spread sheet to figure out when to do the different shots and testing. What all have the rest of you done to keep track of everything ? I really want to get everything started but we are not cruising until 11/27.

Help, suggestions, Ideas are all appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Hoover and welcome! Your dog is a beauty and I know he must help you so much.

Thanks to all the input on this forum, I have taken my Hearing Dog on three cruises in the past year. You probably already know you need to find a USDA-certified vet to give him a health exam and fill out the APHIS form 7001 for animal export. It is valid for 30 days, so I wait to get it until a week or ten days ahead, and then I send to our state office in Gainesville (overnight mail with an enclosed overnight UPS envelope) to be endorsed since some islands want that.

Obviously, the basics are to have a microchip, ideally the ten-digit ISO version. And up to date shots starting of course with rabies.

Then - you are right, the requirements imposed by each country require a computer to keep track of. The ones that get really complicated and expensive are those that require blood testing. All you can do is prepare as best you can, but recognize that some ports like Barbados make it almost impossible to bring the dog ashore.

You might want to do some searches of this forum thread for the various ports you mentioned for some recent input.

You mentioned having to tender on St. Maarten. We were on Celebrity in December 2014 and December 2015 and it was not a tender port then. We had no problems taking the dog ashore there both times without any advance paperwork other than the 7001, endorsed by the state USDA office.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input.

One issue that is twisting me up is some requirements have to be fulfilled 10 days before arriving at the Island, but I am on a 14 say cruise so that 10 days might be exceeded. How has anyone else handled that issue ? Duncan will have to get a new chip implanted as he has the US version which is not accepted, I cringe, it is so brutal having the implant.

The only location that I know 100% sure I will go off the ship is Curacao, I have only been once so I want to go back, and since we overnight there I will have plenty of time.

Otherwise it will be hit or miss if I decide to get off the ship. But, I was told that no matter id I get off or not I must do all the permits, god forbid we have to evacuate the ship the local island customs would not let me bring Duncan, if he does not go ashore nor do I.

I guess I will start making a spread sheet for island requirements, time constraints and a check off when finished.

Welcome Hoover! He is a beautiful dog!

Any questions don't hesitate to ask. One of us should be able to help. Our Wexler will be on his 7th cruise in a couple weeks. He absolutely loves it.

We have also been to St Maarten several times and have not tendered.

Cindy

Welcome Hoover! He is a beautiful dog!

Any questions don't hesitate to ask. One of us should be able to help. Our Wexler will be on his 7th cruise in a couple weeks. He absolutely loves it.

We have also been to St Maarten several times and have not tendered.

Cindy

Good morning,

I am not totally sure on tendering to St Maarten, but on a page on Celebrity web site they list tender ports and St. Marten is listed. It is not so important right now.

Getting a list together for Duncan's testing is 1st on my requirements.

Am I correct in reading BarBados paperwork that Duncan is not allowed entry ?

Thanks for the help.

Good morning,

I am not totally sure on tendering to St Maarten, but on a page on Celebrity web site they list tender ports and St. Marten is listed. It is not so important right now.

Getting a list together for Duncan's testing is 1st on my requirements.

Am I correct in reading BarBados paperwork that Duncan is not allowed entry on ?

Thanks for the help.

Barbados did not allow entry. But I think recently someone said they now do. Jamaica does not. I'm sure someone else will post very. I'm not up on the port info anymore. With all the extra and unnecessary shots, tests and ,meds they want now, we prefer to stay on the ship. There's always someone willing to watch him if we decide to get off. With hubby in a wheelchair there's limited things to do. We did it all, now we relish port days when everyone's off the ship.

Here are a couple pictures of my service dog Duncan. They are not that great but I will look for a better picture of him.

( hopefully I did this right ???)

Duncan is very cute. My first cruise with my service dog is not until October and so I am not of much help yet!

Dianne

Hi new service dog handler with a beautiful dog named Angel. We are planning on going on the carnival Vista in December and I wanted to know is there a website that has a checklist of things to do before you go? I don't even know where to start.

There are 2 stops, turks and Caicos and amber cove. I don't want to get off at turks and Caicos because I've heard there was a problem with wild dogs and don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input.

One issue that is twisting me up is some requirements have to be fulfilled 10 days before arriving at the Island, but I am on a 14 say cruise so that 10 days might be exceeded. How has anyone else handled that issue ? Duncan will have to get a new chip implanted as he has the US version which is not accepted, I cringe, it is so brutal having the implant.

Otherwise it will be hit or miss if I decide to get off the ship. But, I was told that no matter id I get off or not I must do all the permits, god forbid we have to evacuate the ship the local island customs would not let me bring Duncan, if he does not go ashore nor do I.

I think most of us find it impossible to fulfill those short term advance requirements, and just do our best to comply within reason. The regulations obviously are designed for people arriving by plane and staying in one place.

I schedule the vet exam visit (at a USDA-certified vet) about a week or ten days ahead to get the 7001 APHIS form and then send the form to the state's regional office IF the island specifies wording like "and endorsed by an official government USDA veterinarian" which means regional office. Curacao, for example, has that requirement.

If so, send it by overnight tracking UPS with a return overnight envelope. Mark "service dog" to avoid the fee, and include the 7001, rabies certificate, proof of other shots, service dog training ID, and anything else relevant. Call or have your vet call to follow up - the forms sometimes sit on a desk.

Take a copy to the ship of the endorsed 7001 plus rabies certificate and a complete package of ALL health records you have. I take the dog's spay certificate, info on what date her heartworm and flea/tick treatments last given, most recent fecal test, etc etc. You never know what may turn out to satisfy some local official.

My dog also does not have an ISO 10 digit microchip - no problems so far, but I make sure the Avid chip number is on the form the USDA vet signs. (If we fly or cruise to Europe in the future, I'll either get it done or buy/borrow a scanner that reads all chips to bring along.)

Re: fulfilling all the theoretical requirements whether or not you plan to go ashore - not necessary in the experience of many of us who post here.

You may want to search this thread for Cindra's very recent experiences with Barbados and St. Kitts (Cindra's forum name is TVAUD.) Both islands are problematic if not impossible, it appears.

Hi new service dog handler with a beautiful dog named Angel. We are planning on going on the carnival Vista in December and I wanted to know is there a website that has a checklist of things to do before you go? I don't even know where to start.

There are 2 stops, turks and Caicos and amber cove. I don't want to get off at turks and Caicos because I've heard there was a problem with wild dogs and don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Welcome! I've learned a lot from Roz, who started this thread, and others who post here. From what I've read here, Carnival does a good job for travelers with service dogs.

The first thing is to contact Carnival to tell them you are bringing a service dog. They'll give you a form to fill out and will provide the dog's relief box. Make sure rabies and other vaccinations are up to date before your cruise. Have the dog microchipped if not already done (the 10-digit ISO chip that meets international standards.)

The USDA APHIS department oversees exporting animals from the U.S. to other countries. Find a USDA-accredited vet in your area and make an appointment before cruising for a health exam. The vet will issue and sign a 7001 health certificate that you will take to the ship for check-in.

The link below will take you to the APHIS page for information about finding an accredited vet and also the various countries' regulations you must comply with - see the drop-down menu near the bottom of the page. If Amber Cove is in the Dominican Republic?, you can find their requirements there for Pet cats and dogs. Looks like they have a particular 7001 form (with bilingual info in the "remarks" box) that you'll need to get signed by a USDA vet.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth?1dmy&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Faphis_content_library%2Fsa_our_focus%2Fsa_animal_health%2Fsa_export_from_us%2Fsa_live_animals%2Fct_iregs_animal_exports_home

Hope this helps. Tell us more about your dog! We love photos!

We made our airline and hotel reservations last week for our Alaska cruise in August. Even got the bulkhead seats for both flights. Now we wait and hope the airline doesn't change the flight times. I like them the times they are now. And now we wait!!

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

Welcome: Hoover & sabrinaswack. You will love cruising with your dogs. I love the pictures.

Everyone has given you wonderful information. I can't stress enough to be very careful of "strays" on any foreign port. I've found that since I have a bigger dog than my first dog strays pay more attention to you and are more aggressive. Be careful and mindful of them.

When cruising in the Caribbean there will be ports that are not so welcoming to our dogs. NEVER force the issue of going into a port that either demands cash to enter or unrealistic paperwork. I would rather stay onboard and save my money for more friendly ports.

REMEMBER: You DON'T have to settle for poor placement of the potty box. If it's not in a convenient place ask that it be moved. They can do it and it will make your cruise better all around. The person to talk to is the Hotel Manager.

Happy cruising!

Last time to Turks, there were a ton of dogs roaming the beach. We didn't get off.

Carnival Cruise Lines is wonderful to work with when it comes to your dog. They really go out of their way to please and want you to keep coming back.

REMEMBER: Make sure that you've pottied your dog before you get to the dock or before you check in, if you can. This will keep your dog comfortable and give you time to find the potty box when onboard. Check with the Purser's Desk after you've dropped your stuff off in your cabin. Ask where the potty box has been placed and go check it out. If you have a cabin with a veranda the ships are becoming more and more friendly about placing the box on your veranda.

Other than a stairwell I really like the veranda for convenience sake. It does take up some room and you need to make sure that you pick up the solids but it sure beats walking down the hall and bumping into other passengers when you've got your jammies on!!!!! :cool:

If you have Traditional Dining, check out your table and if it doesn't look like he'll fit, ask to speak with the Matre d'. They'll move you around so that everyone is happy!

Ask your Steward for a doggie life jacket [Princess & Carnival supply these.]

Also, give yourself lots of time to go from one venue to another so that your fellow passengers can get their good questions answered and even get a pat or two in, if you allow.

Be careful of the elevators, especially with a big dog. They're always crowded and our dogs noses reach some very vulnerable areas of humans and dogs being dogs they will want to sniff. Keep their noses pointed forward and watch out for their tails in doors.

Make sure your dog is ALWAYS laying in a "down/stay" when in the dining room or buffet, as well as in the theatre.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Been meaning to tell you all about the tornados that came through Sarasota on the weekend and killed two people.

Raylene started vigorously trying to wake me up around 3 a.m., but we thought it was just the thunder and lightning spooking her and I told her it was OK, to go back to bed.

But she kept pacing much more than usual in storms, all around our bed over & over, until I finally got up, went into the bathroom and took her with me for some comfort-petting. Then she went right back to bed. I know she was warning me - WAKE UP AND MOVE - because it coincided with the timing of a fast-moving tornado that came ashore on Siesta Key a few miles north, as we learned the next day.

So we changed our minds and now have decided to cruise Norwegian Escape may 14th. In regards to bringing Jemma to the Bahamas is there anything I have to submit with the request. I don't see anything that I have to submit anything but just want to make sure. We are getting close to the 3 months and I want to get it out soon.

Talked to my vet yesterday and she is going to look up the requirements for each port and get back to me next Friday when Jemma has an appt.

Am I correct and assuming that if we don't plan to get off the ship in Tortola then we don't need to do the requirements for that port?

Been meaning to tell you all about the tornados that came through Sarasota on the weekend and killed two people.

Raylene started vigorously trying to wake me up around 3 a.m., but we thought it was just the thunder and lightning spooking her and I told her it was OK, to go back to bed.

But she kept pacing much more than usual in storms, all around our bed over & over, until I finally got up, went into the bathroom and took her with me for some comfort-petting. Then she went right back to bed. I know she was warning me - WAKE UP AND MOVE - because it coincided with the timing of a fast-moving tornado that came ashore on Siesta Key a few miles north, as we learned the next day.

WE live just North of Parrish with is not far from Duette. Boy was that scary Saturday night. Glad you guys were safe.

WE live just North of Parrish with is not far from Duette. Boy was that scary Saturday night. Glad you guys were safe.

You, too! Close call, very sobering. It was so very sad about those grandparents who died in Duette. I know everyone is grateful that at least their son and the little ones survived.

Raylene, what a good girl. She wanted to make sure you were safe. So scary! I'm glad you're okay!

Here are a couple pictures of my service dog Duncan. They are not that great but I will look for a better picture of him.

( hopefully I did this right ???)

Believe me, it's better than I can do. And, what I can see, he's a handsome boy!

I invite everyone to come to my house and see all the albums of Horton and Brenda.

When I cruise I spend in excess of hundreds of dollars just on pictures of him and I've seen strangers spend money for copies of pictures of him. So sweet!!!

So we changed our minds and now have decided to cruise Norwegian Escape may 14th. In regards to bringing Jemma to the Bahamas is there anything I have to submit with the request. I don't see anything that I have to submit anything but just want to make sure. We are getting close to the 3 months and I want to get it out soon.

Talked to my vet yesterday and she is going to look up the requirements for each port and get back to me next Friday when Jemma has an appt.

Am I correct and assuming that if we don't plan to get off the ship in Tortola then we don't need to do the requirements for that port?

The ship may ask you to have certain papers for your dog. If there are special titer testing or extra rabies vaccines, etc. You can tell them that you will be meeting the ships criteria to board the ship but you will not be getting off in Tortola and will NOT have any paperwork required by that port.

Raylene is such a jewel - she is so good at doing her job, she is going to make sure that you are safe!

Dianne