Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Horton gets lunch? I'm not telling Raylene...she only gets breakfast and dinner. Plus a few treats and a dental chew.

Well, he gets his dinner at 1:00pm, at 6:00pm he gets a Virbac chew and then at 8:00pm he gets two rice cakes. After his rice cakes, he goes potty and then off to bed. Unless someone knocks on the door then he becomes "Super-Dog!" He actually, places himself between the front door and wherever I am and lets out the deepest, meanest sounding bark and it just makes me smile.

He's my hero and protector!!!

Dear All,

Ron Pettit is the ADA & Access Compliance Consultant for Royal Caribbean Cruises and wants to know more about us. He may be able to find us on his own or will be directed further through private emailing with me.

He's been directed to me from Canine Companions because he wants to know more about Service Dogs and the cruising world.

He may or may not join in our discussions. We'll see. I, personally, welcome him.

Dear All,

Ron Pettit is the ADA & Access Compliance Consultant for Royal Caribbean Cruises and wants to know more about us. He may be able to find us on his own or will be directed further through private emailing with me.

He's been directed to me from Canine Companions because he wants to know more about Service Dogs and the cruising world.

He may or may not join in our discussions. We'll see. I, personally, welcome him.

Welcome Ron to the best thread on CC...you will find the nicest people and Service Animals around here, and a lot of lurkers like me! You will also meet some puppy raisers who are just gold - not to mention we always get to see pics of puppys!

Hello Roz,

Have you ever heard of anyone taking their service dog to Russia or Japan.

Thanks Duncan's mom

Brenda [my first Service Dog] went to France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and more. We rented a car in Zurich and drove to Paris, stopping in a lot of countries along the way but not to Russia or Japan.

We used to have a gentleman who had a Service Dog [German Shepherd] and he had traveled much of the world in our earlier posts. He hasn't been posting for a while and I haven't noticed anyone mentioning Russia or Japan.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello Roz,

Have you ever heard of anyone taking their service dog to Russia or Japan.

Thanks Duncan's mom

Hi Duncan's Mom - i did find this article about a woman who moved to Japan with her Service Dog - but it is several years old.

http://www.stripes.com/news/civilian-s-service-dog-a-rare-sight-in-japan-1.95529

Hi Duncan's Mom - i did find this article about a woman who moved to Japan with her Service Dog - but it is several years old.

http://www.stripes.com/news/civilian-s-service-dog-a-rare-sight-in-japan-1.95529

Thanks I will check the article out. My mom found a cruise that visits Japan, Russia and somewhere else I can't remember where but it sounds interesting to perhaps check into the cruise.

Thanks...

Brenda used to roll up like a pill bug right in front of my seat. I had to raise my legs and rest my feet on the wall [this position can not go for much longer than 2 hours.] Horton lays spread out and his legs stretch to the next seat. I've been very lucky to have people who haven't minded so far. And, the attendants have not fussed about it. They could ask me to pay for another seat if he took up too much space. I've not been asked to do that either.

Once, with Brenda, we were kicked into Business Class by a really lovely attendant. You never know who you're going to get and how nice they'll be. Which is why it's ALWAYS to your advantage to stay calm and polite!!!!

I am going to try not to worry about it - she will take up the room she takes up (she does like to stretch out). We picked a short fly for our first test run so it should be okay.

Dianne

Bonnie and I went to our first puppy workshop of the year this week and there were 8 pups of different ages, actually there were 9, but more on number 9 later!

Bonnie has been a bit of a challenge walking on the lead - she twists and does the crab walk, sometimes walking across me and tripping me up, and sniffing the verges. She also doesn't always listen to my commands when we are out walking so I asked our new puppy walking trainer for some advice.

I'm not holding the lead tightly enough! She has to be on a very tight, short lead as she must recognise that there is someone on the end of her lead and it's not just a game. The lead is held almost vertical and high up on her neck. I also have to not communicate with her whilst we practise this until I feel her go a bit slack on the lead and I can then praise her and reduce the tension a bit. It certainly does work, but we need to practise and practise. She's very confident in walking out and about, traffic noise does not faze her unlike Aruba who didn't really like busy streets. Walking Aruba these days is a dream, you would hardly know you had a great big dog on the end of the lead, it's like walking a feather, she just trots along! So that's what we are aiming for with Bonnie.

We also did an exercise where we were all sitting in a circle and each PW and pup took it in turn to stand in the middle of the circle and ask their pup to sit. OK sounds easy enough! ha ha ha!!! We had to do it without any eye contact with the pups - (something we try very hard not to have with the pups as they wouldn't have that reassurance when they are working Guide Dogs, for obvious reasons) - a very loose lead, your free hand straight down by your side, so no hand signals and absolutely no lure of a treat! So only a verbal command "Bonnie, SIT". Thankfully our Bonnie did so on the third ask. Some of the other pups didn't quite manage it - it's very hard and it taught us a lot about our own body language, and the tone of voice you should be using (you have to be clear and "ask" like you mean it and loud enough to always have the dog's attention). Some of the pups didn't listen! It was all made more uncomfortable with all the other PWs watching your every move while you are looking at the ceiling praying the pup will listen to you and respond to the command - and it was only when they all cheered that you knew your pup had sat down.

I tell you this chap works the class and we are all quite exhausted by the end and thoroughly enjoy our cup of tea with a very fine piece - always a delicious home bake made by one of our group. And the DH usually manages to get a piece taken home for him as well! He's a lucky boy.

Now about puppy number 9 ..... Oh my oh my oh my ...... His name is Carlo and he's just 8 weeks old. So of course, we all had lots of cuddles and he took it all in his teeny puppy stride. He watched the big pups with total concentration and fascination at the same time and then fell off the edge .... He has that lovely new puppy smell - just gorgeous! I usually upload my photos with photobucket but their site is down for maintenance right now so I'm sorry it's only a small photos. But I couldn't wait to let you see and introduce you to our newest addition.

Have a great weekend everyone - we've got a big storm over Scotland at the moment but so far it's not been too bad right here, just very windy. Seems to be worst on the west coast and far North in Shetland.

image.jpg.77b190ddc66d55f91488ac0f2a168150.jpg

I NEED HELP!!! Ncl says we cannot have sod because the islands won't allow it. 😞 Please enlighten me about the fake stuff and where to get it. They gave us a choice of sawdust or sand. 😦

Isn't that interesting, Celebrity just sent a e-mail to my TA who forwarded the e mail to me that for our cruise they will build a xxl dog box and put sod in it. My guy will not use chips, no way no how.

Good luck to you, hopefully they can work this out for you.

Bonnie and I went to our first puppy workshop of the year this week and there were 8 pups of different ages, actually there were 9, but more on number 9 later!

Bonnie has been a bit of a challenge walking on the lead - she twists and does the crab walk, sometimes walking across me and tripping me up, and sniffing the verges. She also doesn't always listen to my commands when we are out walking so I asked our new puppy walking trainer for some advice.

I'm not holding the lead tightly enough! She has to be on a very tight, short lead as she must recognise that there is someone on the end of her lead and it's not just a game. The lead is held almost vertical and high up on her neck. I also have to not communicate with her whilst we practise this until I feel her go a bit slack on the lead and I can then praise her and reduce the tension a bit. It certainly does work, but we need to practise and practise. She's very confident in walking out and about, traffic noise does not faze her unlike Aruba who didn't really like busy streets. Walking Aruba these days is a dream, you would hardly know you had a great big dog on the end of the lead, it's like walking a feather, she just trots along! So that's what we are aiming for with Bonnie.

We also did an exercise where we were all sitting in a circle and each PW and pup took it in turn to stand in the middle of the circle and ask their pup to sit. OK sounds easy enough! ha ha ha!!! We had to do it without any eye contact with the pups - (something we try very hard not to have with the pups as they wouldn't have that reassurance when they are working Guide Dogs, for obvious reasons) - a very loose lead, your free hand straight down by your side, so no hand signals and absolutely no lure of a treat! So only a verbal command "Bonnie, SIT". Thankfully our Bonnie did so on the third ask. Some of the other pups didn't quite manage it - it's very hard and it taught us a lot about our own body language, and the tone of voice you should be using (you have to be clear and "ask" like you mean it and loud enough to always have the dog's attention). Some of the pups didn't listen! It was all made more uncomfortable with all the other PWs watching your every move while you are looking at the ceiling praying the pup will listen to you and respond to the command - and it was only when they all cheered that you knew your pup had sat down.

I tell you this chap works the class and we are all quite exhausted by the end and thoroughly enjoy our cup of tea with a very fine piece - always a delicious home bake made by one of our group. And the DH usually manages to get a piece taken home for him as well! He's a lucky boy.

Now about puppy number 9 ..... Oh my oh my oh my ...... His name is Carlo and he's just 8 weeks old. So of course, we all had lots of cuddles and he took it all in his teeny puppy stride. He watched the big pups with total concentration and fascination at the same time and then fell off the edge .... He has that lovely new puppy smell - just gorgeous! I usually upload my photos with photobucket but their site is down for maintenance right now so I'm sorry it's only a small photos. But I couldn't wait to let you see and introduce you to our newest addition.

Have a great weekend everyone - we've got a big storm over Scotland at the moment but so far it's not been too bad right here, just very windy. Seems to be worst on the west coast and far North in Shetland.

First: Bonnie you're really quite a little imp!!!! Fairbourne, have fun with her, it won't be long she'll be getting all that she needs to do and then some. Have you also told the Org. that you would keep her if she didn't quite make it? Hey, don't yell at me, I'm just asking!!! :cool:

Carlo, is so, so cute with that sleepy little puppy face! I'd slip him into my purse and off we'd go!!! ♥

I NEED HELP!!! Ncl says we cannot have sod because the islands won't allow it. Please enlighten me about the fake stuff and where to get it. They gave us a choice of sawdust or sand.

I buy my artificial turf at a place called Kahootz. It's a little pricey but it lasts forever! Horton uses it at home every day. I've had the same piece [extra large] since he's been with me [4 years], of course I spray it down with Clorox spray every single day. I spray the front and the back as well as spraying the wood shavings underneath it.

Let NCL put whatever they want down......just cover it with the artificial grass. You can clean it off in the shower or bathtub or leave it behind. Don't forget a large plastic bag to transport it.

Cindy, just what you needed - a last-minute monkey wrench in your preparations to leave! Let us know how the Potty-Patching goes.:)

The sawdust & shavings (sold for hamster or rabbit cages, according to the photo on the bag) that Celebrity provided in December was unsuited for the purpose because it blew all over the corridor every time the crew doors were open. Sawdust was flying in the air and tracked everywhere by man and beast!

I'm sure the crew coming and going didn't care for it any more than Hearing Dog Raylene did. Our wonderful room steward managed to have a bag of mulch brought on board halfway through the cruise, which worked perfectly.

But as Roz says, the fake grass stuff of any brand could go right on top of anything. I'm going to investigate getting some too.

The sod on Holland America was promising, but sort of sparse, so it soon became thin, yellowing grass on mud, and Raylene balked a bit every time we went to the box. Muddy paws on a cruise, not good.

No easy solutions especially since each dog has a preference! Mulch seems to work best for us so far.

Cindy, just what you needed - a last-minute monkey wrench in your preparations to leave! Let us know how the Potty-Patching goes.:)

The sawdust & shavings (sold for hamster or rabbit cages, according to the photo on the bag) that Celebrity provided in December was unsuited for the purpose because it blew all over the corridor every time the crew doors were open. Sawdust was flying in the air and tracked everywhere by man and beast!

I'm sure the crew coming and going didn't care for it any more than Hearing Dog Raylene did. Our wonderful room steward managed to have a bag of mulch brought on board halfway through the cruise, which worked perfectly.

But as Roz says, the fake grass stuff of any brand could go right on top of anything. I'm going to investigate getting some too.

The sod on Holland America was promising, but sort of sparse, so it soon became thin, yellowing grass on mud, and Raylene balked a bit every time we went to the box. Muddy paws on a cruise, not good.

No easy solutions especially since each dog has a preference! Mulch seems to work best for us so far.

Cedar or Cyprus mulch is the best. Our last cruise onboard the Pacific Princess was tree bark.....sharp/hard/course and cutting into Horton's pads. I had to step into the box and crush the stuff with my tennis shoes but not before I had to beg them to put more in the box than a handful. Every time he would turn in the box he would displace some of the bark and he was peeing on plastic which splattered everywhere.

I finally got the extra bag of bark and just loaded it into the box and then did my "Lucy & Ethel" grape stomping routine!!!!

Will the ships ever get it right? Not until there's a person onboard every ship who has dog behavior and potty necessities down pat.

I'm working on it, I promise you!!!!

We had sawdust on Hal cuz they said they didn't know the dog was coming. Really? Even after the millions of forms we filled out? Ugh. We stopped at some island and they sent someone out to hack some up.

I think the artificial turf will have to be something that the ships invest in to put on top of whatever "moronic" filler they elect to use!!!!

For now, I will bring my own. It can be folded into a hanging bag or suit case easily. I'll just bring it on rolled up into a large plastic bag.

Now, if our big, tall dogs would just learn how to use the toilet! :eek: