Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dianne, many years ago, when I had my first SD, Brenda, we were in Vegas and my DH heard a loud knocking on our door at 6:00am. He peeked out the door and saw a hotel guard. He asked what the problem was and the guard said, "it's been reported that you have a dog in the room, and you MUST leave the hotel!" I went to the door and explained she was a Service Dog and I showed him CCI's ID card and Brenda's vest. I also told him that we checked-in with the dog, etc., etc. He profusely apologized and left. He scared the bejeebers out of us!!!!

We got dressed and went immediately to the front desk. I asked to speak with the Hotel Manager and we were given a free stay in the hotel along with complimentary passes to see Mystere [the show at the time.]

Most times when people get uppity about my SD I just explain it and let it go, but this was over-the-top and the guard was a little too overly zealous!!!!

I must say that since that incident and many others in the early days......our dogs have a much, much easier time in the public and have become more accepted. Thank goodness!!!!

Most businesses are doing a good job in training their staff in what to say and what to do when they encounter an SD. There are still some issues but they are few and far between. ;)

This was the first time I have had anyone say anything about Henri. We got it straightened out quickly. The JetBlue gate agent in San Francisco commented on how well behaved Henri was and that she could tell she was a real service dog. She said that she has seen a lot of people trying to pass off fake service dogs.

Dianne

I made our whale watching tour reservations with Orca Enterprises last night. I spoke to Captain Larry. He was very helpful. He said this year the first tour would be at 11:30 AM. I told him that seemed a little late so since we were the first ones booking that day, he would try and see if he could get enough people to do a 9:00 AM tour. He also gave us a 15% discount as an early bird special. One more thing checked off the long list.

I will be looking at booking this excusion too (May 2017). Is the boat fully accessible and does Orson go with you?

Have you been on the White Pass Railroad with your daughter in Skagway? Do you know if that is wheelchair accessible? I know you have been to Alaska before, I would be interested in any accessible excursions that you have been on.

thanks, Dianne

I will be looking at booking this excusion too (May 2017). Is the boat fully accessible and does Orson go with you?

Have you been on the White Pass Railroad with your daughter in Skagway? Do you know if that is wheelchair accessible? I know you have been to Alaska before, I would be interested in any accessible excursions that you have been on.

thanks, Dianne

I am told by Orca Enterprises that the boat is fully accessible. They have a ramp that the chair rolls right onto the boat. We did take the White Pass Railroad. Yes they do have an accessible train car. It was a great trip. As I recall they did not have tie-downs but none were needed. We actually faced my daughter in front of the windows so she had a better view. This year in Skagway we are doing the Scenic Summit, BBQ and Gold Panning. Enjoy panoramic views of the Skagway Valley on your way to Klondike Gold Fields for a barbecue lunch and gold panning! Except for a small portion of seeing the Dredge at the gold fields, it is supposed to be fully accessible. Even the bus. And yes...Orson does go with us on the whale watch and the gold panning.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad
added info

Oh, puppies and eagles! :)

So glad Henri did so well.

DKD: I will so enjoy hearing about your Alaskan adventures. That's on my bucket list.

I got to see Jagger yesterday and he was so happy to see me! We are working on him not jumping on me so I'm learning to approach very quietly while going "shhhhh". It works. Then he gets lots of cuddles.

We went to a state park on our private class yesterday. We took nine dogs. Jagger and I are really coming along. It's a matter of my learning to be firmer and "expect" things. He really does seem happier to let me make the decisions and him doing the jobs he knows.

This has been the hardest thing for me. I really am a softy and was letting him do things he shouldn't, like pull and wander. I just didn't want to be "mean". So we are getting there!

Of course I have to post a photo!

Holly

So glad Henri did so well.

DKD: I will so enjoy hearing about your Alaskan adventures. That's on my bucket list.

I got to see Jagger yesterday and he was so happy to see me! We are working on him not jumping on me so I'm learning to approach very quietly while going "shhhhh". It works. Then he gets lots of cuddles.

We went to a state park on our private class yesterday. We took nine dogs. Jagger and I are really coming along. It's a matter of my learning to be firmer and "expect" things. He really does seem happier to let me make the decisions and him doing the jobs he knows.

This has been the hardest thing for me. I really am a softy and was letting him do things he shouldn't, like pull and wander. I just didn't want to be "mean". So we are getting there!

Holly

Holly, loved the pictures.

Brenda NEVER learned not to lunge. She thought it was her personal job to greet everyone and check everyone out. Not until she was around 10 years old then she mellowed and didn't pull on her leash all the time. Even the trainers had a hard time re-directing her.

Horton is such a wonderful walker and he NEVER lunges. It was so nice when I took him out into public for the first time and I was getting ready for the "lunge" and he just looked at me with that, "what's your problem blondie" look!

Each dog is so different!

I can't wait until Jagger is completely YOURS!

I am told by Orca Enterprises that the boat is fully accessible. They have a ramp that the chair rolls right onto the boat. We did take the White Pass Railroad. Yes they do have an accessible train car. It was a great trip. As I recall they did not have tie-downs but none were needed. We actually faced my daughter in front of the windows so she had a better view. This year in Skagway we are doing the Scenic Summit, BBQ and Gold Panning. Enjoy panoramic views of the Skagway Valley on your way to Klondike Gold Fields for a barbecue lunch and gold panning! Except for a small portion of seeing the Dredge at the gold fields, it is supposed to be fully accessible. Even the bus. And yes...Orson does go with us on the whale watch and the gold panning.

Thanks for the info DKD.

Dianne

Holly

Jagger is so handsome. I also am a bit of a softy and I have to remind myself to be tougher and correct Henri. That is definitely the hardest thing to do.

Dianne

I loved our Alaskan cruise onboard the Golden Princess. I think in one of my past lives I was an Inuit Indian.

The tram in Skagway is a must so you can see the eagles and their nests. Also you can visit the Inuit's displays and talks.

I haven't taken Horton there yet......It will have to be something he gets to do one day.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! It's going to be 85 degrees here in L.A. Well, we did have 2 weeks of winter with some rain. We're such wimps when it comes to WEATHER!!!! :cool:

Jagger and I went to the Deland, Florida Annual Dog Parade. This year's theme was Patriotic Pups. It was a great time. It started pouring a bit after the parade, but the weather up until then was great.

Jagger picked up a small decal for me and gave it to me! I'm so excited as one of the things we have been working on is retrievals. As you know, thin paper or materials are so hard for them to get. He kept at it until he got it. He got a BIG "good job" and a treat. :)

Things are going much better for us as a team-to-be.

And of course, as you all know...I love posting photos. Here's the album on FB that has many of the parade photos:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10153398753518543&type=3&pnref=story

I'll add the one photo I have of Jagger and me from the parade. You can barely see Jagger:

Holly

Edited by thephantomsgirl

We're baccck. Had a great cruise. The ship was beautiful. Ended up driving into airport at 3am as our ride didn't come. Got there as they were boarding. Told we couldn't check our luggage cuz it was to late. John threw a fit and they let us check it. Ship was very accessible except for cleaning carts in the skinny hallways. I must have moved a hundred of them.

Potty box was right down the hall in a crew area. Convenient but not accessible for John at all. The door was huge and so heavy I could barely open it. The woman in charge tried to switch us to a balcony but that didn't work out. We dealt with it. The bedding was for hampster cage and I had the fake grass. Wex hated it!!! We actually had problems getting him to go. He pooped only a few times. When we got to St Thomas they got grass and it was like he jumped for joy. Next time big balcony and grass if I have to rip it up myself. I guess Miami has no grass, not sure what the deal was.

This was our first inside cabin. It was pretty good size and we managed fine. I'll post pics at the end.

As usual the crew were the worst with the dog. Calling him, waving, making noises. John offered on next cruise to enlighten them with a demo. Toward the end we got sick of hearing about everyone's dogs, dead or alive. Lol

Good ride home. Bulkhead on American sucks!! The flight attendants were nasty. Poor Wex couldn't even curl up. Nothing but Jetblue for us.

1454951013657.jpg.b383ff47cc14b6ecc7a251156e4b729d.jpg

1454951032814.jpg.a10308fc99e4295d95b91c9be4d555ab.jpg

We're baccck. Had a great cruise. The ship was beautiful. Ended up driving into airport at 3am as our ride didn't come. Got there as they were boarding. Told we couldn't check our luggage cuz it was to late. John threw a fit and they let us check it. Ship was very accessible except for cleaning carts in the skinny hallways. I must have moved a hundred of them.

Potty box was right down the hall in a crew area. Convenient but not accessible for John at all. The door was huge and so heavy I could barely open it. The woman in charge tried to switch us to a balcony but that didn't work out. We dealt with it. The bedding was for hampster cage and I had the fake grass. Wex hated it!!! We actually had problems getting him to go. He pooped only a few times. When we got to St Thomas they got grass and it was like he jumped for joy. Next time big balcony and grass if I have to rip it up myself. I guess Miami has no grass, not sure what the deal was.

This was our first inside cabin. It was pretty good size and we managed fine. I'll post pics at the end.

As usual the crew were the worst with the dog. Calling him, waving, making noises. John offered on next cruise to enlighten them with a demo. Toward the end we got sick of hearing about everyone's dogs, dead or alive. Lol

Good ride home. Bulkhead on American sucks!! The flight attendants were nasty. Poor Wex couldn't even curl up. Nothing but Jetblue for us.

Cindy, sounds like you had a few hiccups but just like me......I power my way through them and try to have as good a trip as I can. Poor Wexy and the potty box issue. You can only hold it in for so long!!!!!

So, you brought artificial turf and Wexy refused to use it? In spite of it all you say you had a great cruise!

American Airlines bulk-head is not so great, uh!

Thanks for the heads up. Welcome Home!!!!

Great information here. Thank you!

I have a question about drinking water for dogs, though. I'm from Arizona, where we have really hard, low-quality water. When my service dog was a puppy, he ate something he shouldn't have, and it scarred up his stomach and esophagus. He's on a gentle diet of oatmeal and raw ground beef that I'm going to have to pre-make for him before we cruise next year, and I'll have to request a refrigerator for it.

However, he's also sensitive to water. He'll drink anything, but unless it's water he's used to drinking, he'll just barf it back up.

He currently drinks tap water that goes through our home reverse osmosis system (not a filter-pitcher, but a full under the sink unit). I can get him slowly accustomed to drinking bottled water, but this will only help if I can bring the bottled water onboard. And since he's 95 pounds (chow/golden mix), he's going to need quite a lot of it.

We're cruising on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas. I've looked up their beverage policy, and they seem to have zero tolerance for bringing water onboard. Reports from cruisers, however, imply that this policy is rarely enforced. Some cruisers say you can get around it by carrying your water in a carry-on bag and letting the security inspectors shake each bottle. Others say you can pack water in your checked baggage or put a luggage check on the flat packs.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

It's a pain in the butt having a service dog with a sensitive stomach, but he's otherwise wonderful, even if he's getting on in years!

tumblr_o1s0nvGCZE1s0x2spo1_1280.jpg

Jagger and I went to the Deland, Florida Annual Dog Parade. This year's theme was Patriotic Pups. It was a great time. It started pouring a bit after the parade, but the weather up until then was great.

Jagger picked up a small decal for me and gave it to me! I'm so excited as one of the things we have been working on is retrievals. As you know, thin paper or materials are so hard for them to get. He kept at it until he got it. He got a BIG "good job" and a treat. :)

Things are going much better for us as a team-to-be.

And of course, as you all know...I love posting photos. Here's the album on FB that has many of the parade photos:

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10153398753518543&type=3&pnref=story

I'll add the one photo I have of Jagger and me from the parade. You can barely see Jagger:

Holly

Good work Jagger! Before you know it, you and your Mom will be cruising together! ;)

I have a question about drinking water for dogs, though. I'm from Arizona, where we have really hard, low-quality water. When my service dog was a puppy, he ate something he shouldn't have, and it scarred up his stomach and esophagus. He's on a gentle diet of oatmeal and raw ground beef that I'm going to have to pre-make for him before we cruise next year, and I'll have to request a refrigerator for it.

However, he's also sensitive to water. He'll drink anything, but unless it's water he's used to drinking, he'll just barf it back up.

He currently drinks tap water that goes through our home reverse osmosis system (not a filter-pitcher, but a full under the sink unit). I can get him slowly accustomed to drinking bottled water, but this will only help if I can bring the bottled water onboard. And since he's 95 pounds (chow/golden mix), he's going to need quite a lot of it.

We're cruising on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas. I've looked up their beverage policy, and they seem to have zero tolerance for bringing water onboard. Reports from cruisers, however, imply that this policy is rarely enforced. Some cruisers say you can get around it by carrying your water in a carry-on bag and letting the security inspectors shake each bottle. Others say you can pack water in your checked baggage or put a luggage check on the flat packs.

Does anyone else have experience with this?

It's a pain in the butt having a service dog with a sensitive stomach, but he's otherwise wonderful, even if he's getting on in years!

tumblr_o1s0nvGCZE1s0x2spo1_1280.jpg

Those eyes, those wonderful eyes!!!!

I'm so sorry about the stomach issues. On every cruise line we've ever cruised on, including RCCL, my DH brought 2 large jugs of water. Sometimes he would bring 2 flats from Costco. He would wrap them tightly with packing tape, he'd place two luggage tags on them and drop them at the pier with our luggage. They ALWAYS made it to our cabin along with the rest of our luggage.

I must say that the water onboard the different ships is really very good. I spoke to the Vet about this and he just gave me a raised eyebrow and a wave of his hand, while saying, "nonsense!"

The water onboard is filtered and after my DH passed and I continued to cruise with my dog, I discontinued the schlepping of the water onboard [it was a true bone of contention between us, I really never saw the need to bring water onboard, and I've since used the ships water.] After 9 cruises with my dog drinking only the ships water, he shows no signs of stomach or other health issues.

Your dog comes with health issues so I suppose you MUST use bottled water.

...He currently drinks tap water that goes through our home reverse osmosis system (not a filter-pitcher, but a full under the sink unit). I can get him slowly accustomed to drinking bottled water, but this will only help if I can bring the bottled water onboard. And since he's 95 pounds (chow/golden mix), he's going to need quite a lot of it....

Most ships employ RO systems for all on board water. Obviously there are likely to be other characteristics, such as taste, that could bother your dog, but at least you probably won't need bottled water.

It's worth the time to call your cruise line to see what they can tell you about the on board drinking water.

Edited by Host Walt