Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Has anyone had issues with breed discrimination? Looks like we won't be getting off in Nassau now since Jemma isn't allowed in. Ugh.

I searched their laws and found nothing excluding any breeds.

Many countries, including in the Caribbean, exclude certain breeds such as bully breeds, typically aggressive breeds, and occasionally even German Shepherd Dogs. If you have a bully breed, you're going to have a tough time travelling internationally with your dog.

Being ready for training/being in public is not the same as being a fully-trained service dog, which typically happens between 18-24 months of age. Public access training is begun when the puppy is young.

What is "physical positioning for PTSD"? Is that the same as DPT?

Physical positioning involves blocking (sometimes called posting) to keep people from approaching too closely. Here's an example of active blocking:

I keep Darian at a left heel 99.9% of the time, unless there's some danger or obstacle in the way. To get him to post, I use my right hand down at my side, palm facing in, which is his signal to "touch". This positions his body straight across in front of me. Since Darian is practically the size of a coffee table, this keeps strangers at a comfortable distance. I don't have this behavior automatically trained, though, because I want it to be my choice.

This is NOT guarding/security behavior (which isn't permitted for SDs) -- he's not trained to attack or even take an aggressive posture.

This is also why I have minimum size requirements for my next SD and why I ultimately decided to go through a breeder rather than a rescue. A dog can't effectively and safely block/post if it's too small to be immediately noticed. The shelties in my training class, for example, are super-smart and beautifully behaved in public, but they'd be stepped on because they're too short to be seen.

My cousin came to Arizona with his son, and we decided to day-trip to the Grand Canyon, along with my SD. It was a looooong drive -- Avondale to Phoenix, Phoenix to Flagstaff for breakfast, Flagstaff to the Canyon, then back -- but it was so worth it!

If you haven't seen the Grand Canyon in the off season, you're missing out! We had minimal crowds, and while there was snow built up in the shady spots, it was hot enough in direct sunlight that many people were in shorts and T-shirts.

We saw two other dogs while we were there. One was possibly a service dog without a vest -- very well-behaved, not interested in Darian. The other, though, was a little yappy dog on a long lead, not under its handler's control. Dogs that aren't SDs/SDiTs are supposed to be kenneled at the Grand Canyon. This dog was a trip-hazard to anyone walking nearby -- a potentially fatal one, given that a lot of the Canyon overlooks lack safety railings.

It was also a little disheartening to hear comments: "Oh, that's a service dog, but it's probably not hers. She doesn't look like she needs one." And when a few different people approached to ask questions, they directed their questions to my cousin -- a 6' man -- not me, even though I was the one holding Darian's leash.

A couple of pics here, on my twitter:

We use a position called cover, which is when the dog is in front of you, basically covering your body. It works well when you are at a counter and want to keep the dog away from pushy people. As pointed out, it also can be a PTSD maneuver. I know the organization Jagger is from has a few others, although I've not seen all of them.

I'm off tomorrow to audit the Partner Training class. Means I get two weeks with Jagger and time to perfect things we need to work on. Hopefully won't be that long before our own Partner Training! :)

Edited by thephantomsgirl

Hi everyone!

We are looking at doing an Alaska cruise with Princess next year. There is a good possibility that my husband with have his diabetic alert dog (DAD) by then. I've been doing a lot of research and this thread is great but a little hard to search since it has 16K+ replies.

From what I have seen, Princess seems to be a pretty good choice as they are good with service dogs. I did see an address to contact them and now I can't find it - it was something like specialaccess at princess dot com. Does that sound right?

Is there anywhere Princess will not allow service dogs? Also, do they have a community potty area? We're looking at having a balcony and I know some lines will let you have a grass patch on your balcony. That would be awesome!

One last question - are we limited to only booking certain staterooms? I'm assuming since we will have to show our DAD is parasite free we should be allowed in any room but I just wanted to verify that.

Thank you so much for your help! I look forward to learning much from you all!

My cousin came to Arizona with his son, and we decided to day-trip to the Grand Canyon, along with my SD. It was a looooong drive -- Avondale to Phoenix, Phoenix to Flagstaff for breakfast, Flagstaff to the Canyon, then back -- but it was so worth it!

If you haven't seen the Grand Canyon in the off season, you're missing out! We had minimal crowds, and while there was snow built up in the shady spots, it was hot enough in direct sunlight that many people were in shorts and T-shirts.

We saw two other dogs while we were there. One was possibly a service dog without a vest -- very well-behaved, not interested in Darian. The other, though, was a little yappy dog on a long lead, not under its handler's control. Dogs that aren't SDs/SDiTs are supposed to be kenneled at the Grand Canyon. This dog was a trip-hazard to anyone walking nearby -- a potentially fatal one, given that a lot of the Canyon overlooks lack safety railings.

It was also a little disheartening to hear comments: "Oh, that's a service dog, but it's probably not hers. She doesn't look like she needs one." And when a few different people approached to ask questions, they directed their questions to my cousin -- a 6' man -- not me, even though I was the one holding Darian's leash.

A couple of pics here, on my twitter:

First: I love the Grand Canyon.....amazingly beautiful!

Second: The ignorant person who was walking the yippy-yappy dog on a long leash, with no regard to anyone else's safety was so rude. You know I would have called them "OUT!"

Third: I think that we as a society are so afraid, sometimes, to hurt other's feelings or afraid to get hurt ourselves, that we'll avoid confrontation at all costs. The person who avoided you, and you were holding the leash, saw you as unapproachable, obviously. I'm treated the same way, at times, and I'll see folks whispering and holding back and I'll just walk up to them and explain Horton and myself to them. Not always, because some times they're acting just plain insulting.....but, most times, I'll head them off at the pass and relieve their queries! Usually, it turns into me making new friends!!! :)

Hi everyone!

We are looking at doing an Alaska cruise with Princess next year. There is a good possibility that my husband with have his diabetic alert dog (DAD) by then. I've been doing a lot of research and this thread is great but a little hard to search since it has 16K+ replies.

From what I have seen, Princess seems to be a pretty good choice as they are good with service dogs. I did see an address to contact them and now I can't find it - it was something like specialaccess at princess dot com. Does that sound right?

Is there anywhere Princess will not allow service dogs? Also, do they have a community potty area? We're looking at having a balcony and I know some lines will let you have a grass patch on your balcony. That would be awesome!

One last question - are we limited to only booking certain staterooms? I'm assuming since we will have to show our DAD is parasite free we should be allowed in any room but I just wanted to verify that.

Welcome: We've taken Princess, HAL and Carnival to Alaska.

1. The people to contact at Princess: Access Compliance Dept. Email: accessoffice@princesscruises.com. Fax: 661-284-4408. The person we've been in contact with at Princess is Cassandra Palomino.

2. The people to contact at Carnival: Special Needs Dept. Email: Specialneeds@Carnival.com. Ph: 1-800-438-6744 - Ext: 70344

3. Holland America Line: 1-800-426-0327

I really like them all. I've done Princess most because of convenience, their frequent cruising package perks, and because they start putting the potty box on my veranda, which made the entire cruise so much easier for me.

Your Service Dog is allowed to go into ANY cabin that you purchase; from a Suite to an Inside. And, can go into any area of the ship that YOU are allowed to go into. The key is to ALWAYS make sure that your dog is acting appropriately, is toileted regularly and is NEVER fed off tables, sinks or counters in a public space. Feed, toilet and groom your dog in private.

You will need the Aphis 7001 Form to be filled out by your Vet [not all Vets have these forms.] Ask yours if he does and if not for a recommendation to one who has the capability of examining your Service Dog and giving you a completed form. Your dog MUST be current on all vaccinations.

The only place that you may have issues in terms of your dog gaining access will be Canada. They don't have to follow ADA Laws, although they do have laws for Service Animals. Be prepared, if you do go into port in Vancouver to be asked about your dog or be asked to leave a specific place.

Most of all, HAVE FUN! Other passengers will be so curious about you and your dog. When you travel out in the world, you represent ALL of us!

Roz,

Thank you *so* much for that info! That's exactly what I needed!

The cruise we're looking at is RT Seattle and the only Canada stop we have is a 4 or 5 hour stop in Victoria. We figured for the first cruise, the more USA stops we have the better - to get our feet wet so to speak :)

Our goal is definitely to be great ambassadors. Do you allow people to pet your dog or just hope people to ask permission? Our boy is doing awesome in training right now. Has no problem being quiet under a table and doesn't beg for food.

Are excursions a royal pain to deal with? I'm not sure yet what excursions we'll be doing but I'd like to hear what your thoughts are in general.

Thanks again! This is all new to us and your sharing your knowledge is really appreciated!

Hi everyone!

Hi! Here's what I've learned from this wonderful thread:

I believe the only place you can't go with your service dog is into the pool. I'm not sure about the pool decking area/area surrounding the pool.

Other than that, normal public access laws apply. You CAN bring your dog to buffet lines and all restaurants, but you can't bring your dog to the kitchen.

You CANNOT leave your dog unattended in your stateroom, even in a crate.

You can book any room you like, and you will not be charged for normal wear and tear (including things like shedding). You will also not be charged extra for the dog.

You must feed your dog inside your room. You cannot feed your dog in public areas.

Once you contact the cruise line (and I can't find the contact info, sorry!) they'll arrange a potty area. On RCI, this is a 4x4 box of mulch (possibly sod). Ask someone to show you there on the first day -- don't expect to find it yourself. And if you don't like where they put it (near a smoking area, for example, where people might be tempted to use it to dispose of their cigarettes), you can ask them to move it, within reason.

Basically, follow all the rules you learned in your public access training, and you should be good to go. :D

I think I got all this right! Good luck!

Roz,

The cruise we're looking at is RT Seattle and the only Canada stop we have is a 4 or 5 hour stop in Victoria. We figured for the first cruise, the more USA stops we have the better - to get our feet wet so to speak :)

Our goal is definitely to be great ambassadors. Do you allow people to pet your dog or just hope people to ask permission? Our boy is doing awesome in training right now. Has no problem being quiet under a table and doesn't beg for food.

Are excursions a royal pain to deal with? I'm not sure yet what excursions we'll be doing but I'd like to hear what your thoughts are in general.

Thanks again! This is all new to us and your sharing your knowledge is really appreciated!

Regarding petting, that's your choice. However, most medical alert dogs should not be distracted, so having people pet them is generally a bad idea. There's a rather famous story about someone who disrupted a seizure alert dog by interacting with it without its handler's permission, and the dog missed the alert for a seizure. The handler ended up injured because the dog was distracted and didn't alert her in time to get somewhere safe.

So, if he's feeling well and thinks the dog won't be distracted, that's up to him. But otherwise, in our training school, alert dogs are never to be distracted.

Our school vests have a "DO NOT PET" patch.

Note that when my husband and I go on our cruise next year, my dog probably won't be wearing his vest, due to the heat. (He's a chow/golden mix.) Because of that, I purchased two leash sleeves.

tumblr_o2zgptqgjB1s0x2spo1_250.jpg

tumblr_o2zgptqgjB1s0x2spo2_1280.jpg

My dog is for PTSD, so I sometimes welcome people interacting with him -- hence the "Ask to Pet" sleeve. Other times, I want people to keep their distance, not that people always do. You'll always get kids who run up to pet, whether you like it or not, and sometimes adults either don't notice the patches/sleeves or think they're the exception to the rule.

I also carry these business cards:

CcAeH-vUsAAQYQs.jpg

Roz,

I ALWAYS allow for petting. People are missing their pets and when they see our wonderful dogs [and, they've heard so much about Service Dogs], they're in awe of our amazing dogs. I NEVER allow people to just reach down and touch Horton. I ask him to "sit" and then I direct them to pat away!

I loved the White Pass Railway excursion; the visit to the Inuit's talk, which was part of the tram ride and the eagles nest, that we saw while on the tram. We didn't go to the dog sledding areas [but we did get a wonderful talk from Libby Riddle in one of the lounges.] She had raced the Iditerod [sp] and shared some fabulous videos and told us some truly great stories. She fell in love with my first Service Dog, Brenda. There was standing room only for this.

There's lots to see in Alaska and while there are some things you have to be careful of, there's lots more than you can ever imagine!

I just re-read my last post. I'm so sorry for being so disjointed. I'm at work and it seems every time I wanted to write something, there was someone else who needed something.

I hope you got the gist of what I was trying to say.

If you get a cabin without a veranda you will want to go up on one of the decks and just witness some of the scenery that Alaska offers. It's purely breath taking.

Your dog will NOT be allowed in any of the pools onboard. He/she may lay near the pool area but in warm weather climates, the pool decking can get so hot that the dogs pads would be burning and in Alaska it could be too cold. Some ships have indoor pools and you will want to make sure that your dog is not in the way of swimmers or loungers.

Most folks onboard a cruise are not expecting a dog in the area. So, be careful in the theatres and in the dining rooms. Make sure that you place your dog in a safe area so no one is tripping on or rolling over his paws and tail.

Welcome, roohound. There's a great deal of info available here in this "community" and the search feature may come in handy. I'm thinking about booking an Alaska cruise with my Hearing Dog in 2017, so thanks for asking about excursions.

When people approach, I look on it as a chance to mention the wonderful work of nonprofit Dogs for the Deaf...I also allow petting if asked, and of course try to control the situation but sometimes I've had "sneak attacks" on the dog from the back when I'm walking. Amazing that people do that! The crew can be the biggest offenders, calling the dog's name or running up to her when we are just getting her settled, alas. But of course they miss their dogs far away. And Raylene loves being the center of attention.

Another thing to remember is to ask the cruiseline staff in advance and after boarding to always provide you a table by a wall or full partition. It gives you the chance to put the dog (+ tail) out of the traffic flow. Mention it to the dining room managers including specialty surcharge restaurants too.

I've had the best results for dinners by requesting a table for two in a fixed seating vs. "anytime" arrangements. Often we have a table or space suited for a four-top for the two of us + dog, which is extremely helpful.

Hello. I have a question. This is the first cruise I am taking with my service dog. My dog uses the treadmill to run on days that I don't have much energy to help with his exercise. I realize that they are not allowed on furniture and such and that is no problem but are they allowed to use the treadmil? I called Royal Caribbean and they said that they are restricted to use the spa and pool; common sense I would think but maybe some fool has tried. They did say that they are allowed in the gym but said to ask once on the ship if he can use a treadmill. I prefer to know before I board as I will have to come up with some alternate exercise options for him. He is a medium size dog; 30 pounds.

Hello. I have a question. This is the first cruise I am taking with my service dog. My dog uses the treadmill to run on days that I don't have much energy to help with his exercise. I realize that they are not allowed on furniture and such and that is no problem but are they allowed to use the treadmil? I called Royal Caribbean and they said that they are restricted to use the spa and pool; common sense I would think but maybe some fool has tried. They did say that they are allowed in the gym but said to ask once on the ship if he can use a treadmill. I prefer to know before I board as I will have to come up with some alternate exercise options for him. He is a medium size dog; 30 pounds.

The long answer is: If there is no one waiting to use the treadmill and after you've cleared it with the Hotel Manager or the person in charge of the gym area, then yes he may use it. But, if there is a line then you must allow the passengers first. I always bring a ball or two and find an empty lounge and allow Horton to run and romp around the lounge with his ball. If there's a passenger or two inside I always ask if they would mind if I throw the ball and exercise him. It never fails that a few passengers want to throw the ball too!

You can walk your dog on the promenade deck a few times for some great outside exercise too!

Did you guys see who Princess is having as entertainment on their Alaskan cruises: "Puppies in the Piazza" - They're going to bring Sled Dog Puppies into the Piazza and their trainers to talk about the training program and allow the passengers to interact with the pups. OMG! I want to book a cruise right now!

They're going to do it onboard the Crown, Star Ruby, Island, Coral and Grand Princess. This is a first. Horton's going to love the pups!!!

Did you guys see who Princess is having as entertainment on their Alaskan cruises: "Puppies in the Piazza" - They're going to bring Sled Dog Puppies into the Piazza and their trainers to talk about the training program and allow the passengers to interact with the pups. OMG! I want to book a cruise right now!

They're going to do it onboard the Crown, Star Ruby, Island, Coral and Grand Princess. This is a first. Horton's going to love the pups!!!

How pawsome is this?!!!:D

Greetings! We are back from two weeks on the Celebrity Silhouette. My dear friend since preschool kept Scooter while we were gone, and he grew so much! He is all leg now! She even kept his litter mate while his human joined me for one of the weeks. That is a great friend!

Now to get him started on real training. We are doing well with toileting, he does a decent job at coming when called and we've started on fetch. Yesterday, we spent 30 minutes playing fetch with a ball and another toy. He did a great job fetching and dropping.

He is starting to get over his fear of stairs, too. He still refuses some of them, but does well on the steps at the front of the house. He also did well on a set of extra wide ones on campus last night. He refuses the open ones to the basement, but it is something to work on.

On the plus side, I'm walking more, which should help with the post-cruise weight loss goal. :)

I'll upload photos soon!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Greetings! We are back from two weeks on the Celebrity Silhouette. My dear friend since preschool kept Scooter while we were gone, and he grew so much! He is all leg now! She even kept his litter mate while his human joined me for one of the weeks. That is a great friend!

Now to get him started on real training. We are doing well with toileting, he does a decent job at coming when called and we've started on fetch. Yesterday, we spent 30 minutes playing fetch with a ball and another toy. He did a great job fetching and dropping.

He is starting to get over his fear of stairs, too. He still refuses some of them, but does well on the steps at the front of the house. He also did well on a set of extra wide ones on campus last night. He refuses the open ones to the basement, but it is something to work on.

On the plus side, I'm walking more, which should help with the post-cruise weight loss goal. :)

I'll upload photos soon!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Barb, welcome back. I hope you had a wonderful cruise. You sure do have some great friends.

Stairs were ALWAYS a problem with Brenda [my first SD.] Horton thinks that stairs were made for him to play on!

If CCI were to keep every Service Dog from graduating because of their various idiosyncrasies there would be no Service Dogs in the world. They look for strengths in the most important areas and expect us to work through the "silliness!"

Of course, there are some habits that can NOT be overlooked!!!! And, unfortunately or fortunately, some of the dogs become permanently, well trained "pets" for a few very lucky people!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy,

I see you were on the NCL Escape, is there any tips you can give this newbie? We will be on the Escape in May. This is our first time traveling with a service dog so anything will help. We have 2 connecting mini-suites so I'm hoping they will put the potty box on our balcony. I'm was really hoping when they said sandbox it was going to be sand since Jemma refuses to go on anything but grass or dirt.

Roz,

If we ever make it out to Cali I would love to introduce you to Jemma. Though you might fall in love with her😍

There's ship was great. They had hamster bedding that wex hated. I'm not sure how sand would work on the balcony.

Edited by rangeley

There's ship was great. They had hamster bedding that wex hated. I'm not sure how sand would work on the balcony.

Sand is horrible.......Labs have webbed paws so the dang stuff sticks in between and then they track it onto the carpeting, it's awful.

Hamster bedding is what they used on one of our cruises onboard the Crown Princess.......they had to use two whole huge bags to fill the potty box enough so that when Horton turned around it didn't all get displaced.

I am bringing my own artificial turf that I will lay on top of whatever "crap" the ship decides to use.

Ships.....If you're reading this.........Please use Cyprus or Cedar Mulch.....PLEASE!!!!

Sand is horrible.......Labs have webbed paws so the dang stuff sticks in between and then they track it onto the carpeting, it's awful.

Hamster bedding is what they used on one of our cruises onboard the Crown Princess.......they had to use two whole huge bags to fill the potty box enough so that when Horton turned around it didn't all get displaced.

I am bringing my own artificial turf that I will lay on top of whatever "crap" the ship decides to use.

Ships.....If you're reading this.........Please use Cyprus or Cedar Mulch.....PLEASE!!!!

Does Horton prefer mulch? I know that's what RCI uses, and that's who we're cruising with next year.

I was going to build a potty box so I could train Darian to quickly go on mulch (right now, he's a marker, so he prefers going on vertical surfaces) but living in Arizona means the mulch will get infested with scorpions in about a minute and a half. :(

Instead, we're working on really reinforcing the "Better go now!" command.