Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Does Horton prefer mulch? I know that's what RCI uses, and that's who we're cruising with next year.

I was going to build a potty box so I could train Darian to quickly go on mulch (right now, he's a marker, so he prefers going on vertical surfaces) but living in Arizona means the mulch will get infested with scorpions in about a minute and a half. :(

Instead, we're working on really reinforcing the "Better go now!" command.

The vertical thing can be tough in public and especially onboard an enclosed environment like a cruise ship. Vertical is so inviting and so embarrassing when it's a lovely Grecian Urn.

I do like mulch and if it's possible use Cedar. I sprinkle baby powder around the outside of the box [ants hate baby powder] and it doesn't hurt the dogs. I also sprinkle it on the door jam into the house. I spray the mulch with Clorox Bleach [i use the bathroom cleaner] and spray the artificial turf [top & underside] morning and night. Between the baby powder and the bleach bugs hate me!!!!!

If you have a dog that you think may lick the bleach spray......DON'T US IT! Neither one of my dogs were interested in licking the bleach. Be careful and watch closely. This is especially something you will want to watch if you're training puppies to use the box. If you have a dog whose just too curious about the bleach, don't spray the top of the artificial grass.

Remember, our dogs safety ALWAYS comes before anything!!!!

The vertical thing can be tough in public and especially onboard an enclosed environment like a cruise ship. Vertical is so inviting and so embarrassing when it's a lovely Grecian Urn.

I do like mulch and if it's possible use Cedar. I sprinkle baby powder around the outside of the box [ants hate baby powder] and it doesn't hurt the dogs. I also sprinkle it on the door jam into the house. I spray the mulch with Clorox Bleach [i use the bathroom cleaner] and spray the artificial turf [top & underside] morning and night. Between the baby powder and the bleach bugs hate me!!!!!

If you have a dog that you think may lick the bleach spray......DON'T US IT! Neither one of my dogs were interested in licking the bleach. Be careful and watch closely. This is especially something you will want to watch if you're training puppies to use the box. If you have a dog whose just too curious about the bleach, don't spray the top of the artificial grass.

Remember, our dogs safety ALWAYS comes before anything!!!!

Hmm. I wonder if that would work on scorpions. The only thing I *know* works on them is a blowtorch. (I spend nine or ten months out of the year hunting scorpions in the backyard in hopes of keeping them out of the house.)

Darian wouldn't lick the bleach, but he's very enthusiastic about sniffing, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with him sniffing up bleach fumes and baby powder.

Artificial grass, though... That might be a perfect idea. Do you put it in a public potty box or do you arrange for a special potty box on your balcony? I'm not sure the husband would like that, since he's looking forward to hanging out on the balcony.

I was thinking of bringing something I could use as a vertical surface, like a plastic tent stake. I also saw on the RCI website:

We provide 4 feet by 4 feet relief areas with cypress mulch to accommodate service dogs. Sod for sailings from the U.S. can be provided if ordered in advance and is available.

Darian might prefer sod, but I don't know. It's so rare that he actually gets anywhere near grass. Our whole yard is rock and cacti.

.... I also saw on the RCI website:

We provide 4 feet by 4 feet relief areas with cypress mulch to accommodate service dogs. Sod for sailings from the U.S. can be provided if ordered in advance and is available.

Darian might prefer sod, but I don't know. It's so rare that he actually gets anywhere near grass. Our whole yard is rock and cacti.

Something to be aware of: what the head office or website says the ship will provide may not resemble what you'll find upon boarding.

Cypress mulch can in reality turn out to be very unsatisfactory pine shavings, bagged and labeled for hamsters/rabbits, in my experience.

Service dogs will do their best to deal with what's available and use it on command (like miles of pavement in NYC where all grass is fenced off behind locked gates.) But I agree with Roz that Cypress mulch is ideal, if only they would stock it.

Hmm. I wonder if that would work on scorpions. The only thing I *know* works on them is a blowtorch. (I spend nine or ten months out of the year hunting scorpions in the backyard in hopes of keeping them out of the house.)

Darian wouldn't lick the bleach, but he's very enthusiastic about sniffing, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with him sniffing up bleach fumes and baby powder.

Artificial grass, though... That might be a perfect idea. Do you put it in a public potty box or do you arrange for a special potty box on your balcony? I'm not sure the husband would like that, since he's looking forward to hanging out on the balcony.

I was thinking of bringing something I could use as a vertical surface, like a plastic tent stake. I also saw on the RCI website:

I knew that I wanted to cruise with my Service Dog and that meant that him/her going potty would have to be pretty unique. So, my DH set out to build something that I could train Brenda on that could be available on every cruise ship we went on. We went to a truck stop and bought an oil pan for eighteen wheelers, filled it with kitty litter, put it on our patio and the training began [the kitty litter was awful.] I trained her on kitty litter, rock, pea gravel, sand, wood shavings, grass, dirt.....you name it. The main idea was to keep her in a confined space [box] and have her get used to going potty in it without fussing. It worked. I changed the oil pan to a 4x5 box lined with a heavy duty plastic, filled with sod and then mulch from the garden center. I use artificial turf [at home] to cover whatever I'm using........my dogs love the artificial stuff.

Cruising was a breeze for Brenda and is now so easy for Horton because they both use[d] a potty box 98% of the time [at home and at work.]

I love the Mini-Suites on Emerald Deck on most Princess ships. The balconies are wrap-arounds and have lots of room for the potty-box.

Because the balcony is exposed to lots of wind and weather, the potty box really isn't a problem to share the space with. I also will use the closest stairwell or crew closet.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I knew that I wanted to cruise with my Service Dog and that meant that him/her going potty would have to be pretty unique. So, my DH set out to build something that I could train Brenda on that could be available on every cruise ship we went on. We went to a truck stop and bought an oil pan for eighteen wheelers, filled it with kitty litter, put it on our patio and the training began [the kitty litter was awful.] I trained her on kitty litter, rock, pea gravel, sand, wood shavings, grass, dirt.....you name it. The main idea was to keep her in a confined space [box] and have her get used to going potty in it without fussing. It worked. I changed the oil pan to a 4x5 box lined with a heavy duty plastic, filled with sod and then mulch from the garden center. I use artificial turf [at home] to cover whatever I'm using........my dogs love the artificial stuff.

Cruising was a breeze for Brenda and is now so easy for Horton because they both use[d] a potty box 98% of the time [at home and at work.]

I love the Mini-Suites on Emerald Deck on most Princess ships. The balconies are wrap-arounds and have lots of room for the potty-box.

Because the balcony is exposed to lots of wind and weather, the potty box really isn't a problem to share the space with. I also will use the closest stairwell or crew closet.

The oil pan is a really, really good idea. Definitely better than asking DH to build something. I'll also try to get him to go on different surfaces as we travel, though there's not much variety here in Arizona -- rocks, pea gravel, and very rare grass is about it. Things may be different in Las Vegas, where we're going to an author/reader conference next month.

Something to be aware of: what the head office or website says the ship will provide may not resemble what you'll find upon boarding.

Cypress mulch can in reality turn out to be very unsatisfactory pine shavings, bagged and labeled for hamsters/rabbits, in my experience.

Service dogs will do their best to deal with what's available and use it on command (like miles of pavement in NYC where all grass is fenced off behind locked gates.) But I agree with Roz that Cypress mulch is ideal, if only they would stock it.

I didn't get my service dog through an organization like CCI or Guide Dogs for the Blind, so he didn't come to me pre-trained. I'm owner-training him with the help of weekly classes at Leashes for Living Assistance Dog School. I've had him since he was eight weeks old, and he just turned nine years old. I socialized and obedience trained him through Petsmart when he was a puppy, and when I took him for a service dog evaluation last October, I was fortunate that he remembered his training, was calm and rock steady, and was attentive enough to use him as a service dog immediately while waiting for a puppy.

When I get the puppy, hopefully this June or July, I'll be training him to all sorts of new behaviors, including "Better go now!" on all different surfaces. My existing service dog, though, is still working on this, because I'm going up against eight and a half years of his habit of going through the dog door to relieve himself on gravel in my backyard, and nowhere else.

The oil pan is a really, really good idea. Definitely better than asking DH to build something. I'll also try to get him to go on different surfaces as we travel, though there's not much variety here in Arizona -- rocks, pea gravel, and very rare grass is about it. Things may be different in Las Vegas, where we're going to an author/reader conference next month.

I didn't get my service dog through an organization like CCI or Guide Dogs for the Blind, so he didn't come to me pre-trained. I'm owner-training him with the help of weekly classes at Leashes for Living Assistance Dog School. I've had him since he was eight weeks old, and he just turned nine years old. I socialized and obedience trained him through Petsmart when he was a puppy, and when I took him for a service dog evaluation last October, I was fortunate that he remembered his training, was calm and rock steady, and was attentive enough to use him as a service dog immediately while waiting for a puppy.

When I get the puppy, hopefully this June or July, I'll be training him to all sorts of new behaviors, including "Better go now!" on all different surfaces. My existing service dog, though, is still working on this, because I'm going up against eight and a half years of his habit of going through the dog door to relieve himself on gravel in my backyard, and nowhere else.

You know what trainers say......"Dogs are NEVER too old to learn new tricks!" It's just lots and lots of work, as you well know.

Your dog is attentive because you work with him are probably "rock solid" on your expectations of him. Good job!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My service dog Henri will go on whatever surface we ask her to (so far at least, but we haven’t had her go on sand or hamster shavings). She is fine with even dirt if that is all there is.

My husband built a box for her in our backyard that is 5 x 5. It has a gravel bed and then artificial grass on top. We figured that we might as well get her used to using a box so that when we went on a cruise it would not be a big deal. It has actually been nice to have; we don’t have to go hunting around the yard to see if she has left any presents out on the grass. We have a pail with a plastic liner next to the box that we can just put into the garbage on garbage days. It has made everything so easy.

The Home Depot near us sells artificial grass either by the piece or on a roll. A 9 foot x 6 foot piece is about $20 – it would have to be cut to size. They also have a roll of grass that is 15-16 feet wide – if you get a 4 foot piece you could get enough for three or 4 boxes for about $25. That is what we are getting for our next cruise. Since it will cost less than $10 for a 4 x 4 box, we will just leave it behind at the end of the cruise. This artificial grass is not as nice as what we use in our yard, but for a two week sailing it will be fine.

We just stayed in Las Vegas last month with Henri. The hotel we stayed at had a large potty area that was artificial turf outside in the parking lot. Several of the hotels have grass on the way up the driveway that we used when we were out walking around and not at our hotel (Bellagio and Mirage).

Dianne

My service dog Henri will go on whatever surface we ask her to (so far at least, but we haven’t had her go on sand or hamster shavings). She is fine with even dirt if that is all there is.

My husband built a box for her in our backyard that is 5 x 5. It has a gravel bed and then artificial grass on top. We figured that we might as well get her used to using a box so that when we went on a cruise it would not be a big deal. It has actually been nice to have; we don’t have to go hunting around the yard to see if she has left any presents out on the grass. We have a pail with a plastic liner next to the box that we can just put into the garbage on garbage days. It has made everything so easy.

The Home Depot near us sells artificial grass either by the piece or on a roll. A 9 foot x 6 foot piece is about $20 – it would have to be cut to size. They also have a roll of grass that is 15-16 feet wide – if you get a 4 foot piece you could get enough for three or 4 boxes for about $25. That is what we are getting for our next cruise. Since it will cost less than $10 for a 4 x 4 box, we will just leave it behind at the end of the cruise. This artificial grass is not as nice as what we use in our yard, but for a two week sailing it will be fine.

We just stayed in Las Vegas last month with Henri. The hotel we stayed at had a large potty area that was artificial turf outside in the parking lot. Several of the hotels have grass on the way up the driveway that we used when we were out walking around and not at our hotel (Bellagio and Mirage).

Dianne

Dianne, can I be your Service Dog? Henri is so lucky to have you and your DH in her life.

Your set-up, in regards to the potty box, in your back yard is so perfect.

Horton's potty box is on our patio and I pull off the artificial turf after he's used it in the morning, so that it can get some good sun exposure and dry out for the day. [That's when I really spray it down.]

When I get home from work, I put the grass on top of the litter and we're good to go for another night.

The litter has to be changed because after a while it starts to lose its absorbency. I just bag it up and re-fill the box.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dianne

Our convention (RT Booklovers 2016) is at the Rio. I know they have a dog relief area somewhere, hopefully not too far from wherever our room is.

I looked into artificial grass a few years back, since it's such a pain in the butt to have a proper lawn in Arizona, between the insane water cost (and the waste!) and having to reseed twice a year. Turns out that every brand of artificial grass absorbs heat and can burn dogs' paws in AZ, where the sun is so powerful. I could put it in the garage, but then we'd be competing for space with DH's power tools. :D

For the cruise, though, that's a good idea. My dad lives in Fort Lauderdale, so we'll be there a day or two early -- enough time to buy anything we don't want to fly out from Arizona. And I know where the local Home Depot is, since every time we go to visit my dad, DH ends up doing all sorts of home repair. (Can't trust my dad with a screwdriver or hammer!)

We're really excited about this cruise. Why isn't it next year?! Is this what cruising is like for all of you? You make your reservations, then count the days until you can finally go?

After reading the potty box ideas, it just dawned on me, I was talking to a Landscaper about our back yard. He said he gets a product that is kind of like kitty litter. They spread it out and tamp it down really good, then you put pea gravel or artificial turf or whatever you are using on top of it. He says it absorbs the urine and there is something in it that counter acts the smell and breaks down the urine. We haven't done anything with the yard yet, so forgot all about it. I wonder if other landscapers know about this product? Would hurt to contact a local one. :D

Dianne, can I be your Service Dog? Henri is so lucky to have you and your DH in her life.

Your set-up, in regards to the potty box, in your back yard is so perfect.

Horton's potty box is on our patio and I pull off the artificial turf after he's used it in the morning, so that it can get some good sun exposure and dry out for the day. [That's when I really spray it down.]

When I get home from work, I put the grass on top of the litter and we're good to go for another night.

The litter has to be changed because after a while it starts to lose its absorbency. I just bag it up and re-fill the box.

I could say the same thing about Horton - he is lucky to have you Roz. I can't say enough what a gift Henri has been. I am so lucky to have been the recipient of one of these amazing CCI dogs.

Dianne

Our convention (RT Booklovers 2016) is at the Rio. I know they have a dog relief area somewhere, hopefully not too far from wherever our room is.

We're really excited about this cruise. Why isn't it next year?! Is this what cruising is like for all of you? You make your reservations, then count the days until you can finally go?

That's a good point about the hot sun. It gets pretty hot where we live too (not as hot as Arizona). We have the box under a tree (one that doesn't lose its leaves or that would be a mess). In the summer the spot is shady and in the winter there is protection from the rain although Henri does not mind getting wet. She will actually run around in the yard in the rain after using the box.

I am really looking forward to our next cruise too - its not until October. This will be Henri's first cruise.

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

After reading the potty box ideas, it just dawned on me, I was talking to a Landscaper about our back yard. He said he gets a product that is kind of like kitty litter. They spread it out and tamp it down really good, then you put pea gravel or artificial turf or whatever you are using on top of it. He says it absorbs the urine and there is something in it that counter acts the smell and breaks down the urine. We haven't done anything with the yard yet, so forgot all about it. I wonder if other landscapers know about this product? Would hurt to contact a local one. :D

I haven't heard about that product, but it sounds like it would work out really well.

Dianne

I haven't heard about that product, but it sounds like it would work out really well.

Dianne

I tried to google it yesterday, but didn't have enough time to weed through the "kitty litter" ones! I forgot to say, the landscaper also said it smooths out to a solid surface. The urine just goes into it and you don't scoop it like kitty litter. Of course you pick up the poopy logs! :D

I looked into artificial grass a few years back, since it's such a pain in the butt to have a proper lawn in Arizona, between the insane water cost (and the waste!) and having to reseed twice a year. Turns out that every brand of artificial grass absorbs heat and can burn dogs' paws in AZ, where the sun is so powerful. I could put it in the garage, but then we'd be competing for space with DH's power tools. :D

For the cruise, though, that's a good idea. My dad lives in Fort Lauderdale, so we'll be there a day or two early -- enough time to buy anything we don't want to fly out from Arizona. And I know where the local Home Depot is, since every time we go to visit my dad, DH ends up doing all sorts of home repair. (Can't trust my dad with a screwdriver or hammer!)

You can also get the grass at some pet stores [i get mine at Kahoot's.] It's cut into different sizes [i bought the large size] and I must tell you it's very durable. I've had the same two pieces for years. it has great drainage and the grass is very well made.

I live in the San Fernando Valley of L.A., where our temps. can get very, very hot and the grass is exposed to sunlight until 3:00pm and it doesn't get too hot for my dog.

The anticipation of the cruise is really part of the excitement of it all!

Nancy, I'd love to know the name of this product.

Disney Cruise Line just announced that they will be building two new ships! More cruise ship options & more port options!!

Do you know of any Disney cruise ships out of L.A. or Long Beach, CA.?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Good morning everyone! I'm back from my two weeks auditing Partner Training. Jagger and I learned so much - wow! We have really progressed. It helped point out how consistency and expectation keeps a team on track. Had the best time ever.

Looks like you all have been busy and we have some new teams on here. Welcome!

And for our friends over the pond, Happy Mother's Day!

Holly

Good morning everyone! I'm back from my two weeks auditing Partner Training. Jagger and I learned so much - wow! We have really progressed. It helped point out how consistency and expectation keeps a team on track. Had the best time ever.

Looks like you all have been busy and we have some new teams on here. Welcome!

And for our friends over the pond, Happy Mother's Day!

Holly

Great news Jolly...(see what i did there?):)

and thanks for the heads up on MDOTP! - Happy Mother's Day to the best puppy raiser in Scotland - Fairbourne!