Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Since my current SD is turning nine in two days, we've been looking for a puppy to train to take over when he retires. After a lot of debating (mainly rescue dogs vs. ones from breeders), we settled on Native American Indian Dogs -- a "mutt" type dog bred from huskies, malamutes, chinooks, and GSDs. We found a breeder who's placed many NAIDs as service dogs.

That is good news - beautiful dogs!

Dianne

Update: Jagger and I are doing very well with the private classes. Yay!

The trainer said we are close, but not quite there yet. She invited us to audit the Partner Training which starts next week, and will last two weeks. I'm going to do it as I feel I will learn quite a bit.

I won't be around much for the next two weeks then. Excited cause I'll get to see a lot of Jagger. :)

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer to have Jagger full-time.

Dianne

Aww, poor Horton! Did the fresh air help him?

Darian is really a solid, steady dog. I'm so lucky to have him. We've gone on long car rides, and he relaxes while looking out the (closed) window or naps by an AC vent with no problem. The only thing he doesn't like is when I clip his thick coat, but the vet gives me Xanax for that. Or I should say, the vet gives HIM Xanax for that, even though sometimes I think I need it more. :D

Dogs are so different. Brenda, my first SD would sit up the second the car was stopped so she could look through the window. I would open the window, while stopped, and she loved to look out. Horton NEVER moves a muscle until I come around, open his door and even then stays laying down until I say something to him. He must have fallen a lot when he was a pup and he's not a risk taker, so he's very cautious, to the point of being overly careful!!!

Update: Jagger and I are doing very well with the private classes. Yay!

The trainer said we are close, but not quite there yet. She invited us to audit the Partner Training which starts next week, and will last two weeks. I'm going to do it as I feel I will learn quite a bit.

I won't be around much for the next two weeks then. Excited cause I'll get to see a lot of Jagger. :)

Have fun! We'll miss you!

Since my current SD is turning nine in two days, we've been looking for a puppy to train to take over when he retires. After a lot of debating (mainly rescue dogs vs. ones from breeders), we settled on Native American Indian Dogs -- a "mutt" type dog bred from huskies, malamutes, chinooks, and GSDs. We found a breeder who's placed many NAIDs as service dogs.

She just emailed me today with exciting news!

Gem has been bred and is confirmed pregnant! Her puppies will be born at the end of March. This is Gem, who has a lush, long coat:

GG has been bred, and if she conceives, her puppies will be born at the end of April. This is GG, who has a standard coat, and her puppies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u7fLx-QoNo&feature=youtu.be

This means I could get a puppy as early as the end of May, if all goes well!! Which… will suck, because their socialization training will take place just as the weather hits a thousand degrees (YAY ARIZONA), but the puppy needs to adjust to boots anyway, so…

A puppy from the first litter MIGHT be trained and ready to go cruising next March, but the pup would really have to be extraordinary. In all my history, I've only ever had one pup who was ready for extended public access at such an early age. He was an Australian shepherd, and I swear if we could've taught him to hold a pencil, he could've done our taxes. :D

Thankfully, Darian is still in pretty good health, if a little slow and lazy. Now I get to start puppy-proofing the house!

Your excitement is contagious......I'm excited for you! Beautiful dogs!

Today's mail brought the stamped Bahamas permit form for our April Canal cruise that stops at Half Moon Cay, Holland America/Carnival's island in the Bahamas. First time visit there for my dog.

FYI I mailed it by standard Intl mail with regular return mail from their officials. No pricey fast service envelopes. Took just over a month from P.O. Departure to my mailbox return, not bad. No fee for Service Dogs.

Made me realize - time to start thinking about this cruise again! Form 7001, vet appt., grooming, reconfirming the dog's needs with HAL, all that stuff will be coming up in a few weeks.

Today's mail brought the stamped Bahamas permit form for our April Canal cruise that stops at Half Moon Cay, Holland America/Carnival's island in the Bahamas. First time visit there for my dog.

FYI I mailed it by standard Intl mail with regular return mail from their officials. No pricey fast service envelopes. Took just over a month from P.O. Departure to my mailbox return, not bad. No fee for Service Dogs.

Made me realize - time to start thinking about this cruise again! Form 7001, vet appt., grooming, reconfirming the dog's needs with HAL, all that stuff will be coming up in a few weeks.

This reminds me, I need to think about what papers I'll need for my SD.

Our cruise is going to Cozumel and Puerto... something, both in Mexico. We do not plan to disembark, for various reasons. Darian is always carefully up to date on his shots.

Am I supposed to contact the Mexican embassy even though we won't be leaving the ship in port? Do I have to contact someone in the US government to make sure we can disembark when we return to Ft. Lauderdale?

I'm going to get my passport, just because it's always good to have another piece of ID, so I may as well take care of Darian's paperwork at the same time.

Our cruise is going to Cozumel and Puerto... something, both in Mexico. We do not plan to disembark, for various reasons. Darian is always carefully up to date on his shots.

Am I supposed to contact the Mexican embassy even though we won't be leaving the ship in port? Do I have to contact someone in the US government to make sure we can disembark when we return to Ft. Lauderdale?

I'm going to get my passport, just because it's always good to have another piece of ID, so I may as well take care of Darian's paperwork at the same time.

You may want to see what you will need to get off in Mexico. Even though you don't plan on getting off the ship, you may have to in case of an emergency. The last thing you will want is to have someone you have to get off the ship but your dog can't.

You will need the Aphis 7001 Form filled out by your Vet. Make sure that you have a visit with the Vet within a week prior to travel. All vaccinations MUST be current. And, have the Vet give you a form that states that your dog is in good health to travel. If your city requires a Dog Tag, have a copy of that. [The city of Los Angeles requires that all dogs be registered, even if they're Service Dogs, there is no fee for SD's.]

Make 3 copies of all the paperwork; Keep the original on hand to show to anyone, in authority, who may ask, give one to the registration folks,[it will help to make registration and boarding the ship so much easier] and, have one to give to Immigration, if they ask.

You will go through Immigration when you disembark, they will ask to see your I.D.; Passport, Birth Cert. and will wave you through after clearance. No big deal will be made about your dog. They may ask, "have you visited a farm or ranch?" The very same question that will be on your Immigration Form to re-enter the U.S. Or, they will ignore your dog completely.

Make sure that your dog is acting appropriately at these times.

Once you've boarded you may be asked to see an Immigration official with your dog and an official from the ship. Bring their copy of ALL your paperwork. It will be very early and usually in one of the lounges or restaurants. On our last 14 day cruise to Mexico, in December, we were NOT asked to meet with anyone. Loved it!!!

When we first started traveling [cruising] with my SD in 2005, Immigration would pull us aside and examine the dog entering and exiting the ship.......They don't bother doing this anymore!!!

Mexico is easy, peasy to travel to with your dog.

Remember, they have NO leash laws and there are strays in the ports and on the beaches.

You will see Mexican guards everywhere near the dock. They want our business and they want us to be safe. :)

It is good that you are researching since some countries require lengthy, time consuming paperwork. Mexico is fairly simple. The APHIS 7001 form is valid for 30 days, but most of us do it close to departure as Roz mentioned. Some islands/countries require that it also be endorsed by a government authority, which is the state APHIS office, so I allow a little extra time to send for endorsement by overnight letter, with return overnight envelope enclosed.

There is a version of the Form 7001 (to be filled out and signed by your USDA certified vet) that includes (Section 9 "Remarks") some language in English and Spanish:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_aphis_7001.pdf

Here are the updated regs for Mexico as of January 2016:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_pets_dog_cat_01_07_16.pdf

Information like this is found on the USDA APHIS IRegs page - use the drop down menu at the bottom of the page:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/export/iregs-for-animal-exports

Let us know if you have any other questions and we can try to assist.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I thought this might be of interest. This is my everyday go-bag for when I leave the house with my service dog. It's the Con(vention) Survival Bag of Holding from Thinkgeek.com. It has three main compartments -- a big middle compartment, which I load with dog stuff, a back compartment that would normally be used for papers but is actually perfectly sized for a few paper towels, and a front compartment. The front compartment is perfect for a Kindle Paperwhite, pen, wallet, lip balm, and an iPad in a clear plastic front pocket that you can actually touch through. There's a hole from the main compartment to the front so you can carry a battery charger and run a cable to the iPad, phone, or whatever.

Top row: Kindle, USB-mini charging cord, battery pack/flashlight, phone, Captain America earbuds (I'm a huge Captain America fan!), iPad

The big green thing is a Ruffwear dog mat that compresses down into the green bag on the left side.

On the green dog bed: Tissues, super-absorbent towel, lots of paper towels, bottle of Nature’s Miracle (cap duct taped, bottle in a ziploc), pen, paracord bracelet (can be used as an emergency leash when untied), mini-roll of duct tape in an empty prescription bottle (so useful!), earplugs, the red thing is a reusable grocery bag that compresses down into a tiny little ball, doggie first aid kit (gauze pads, stretchy sticks-to-itself tape, band-aids, Benadryl, etc.), glasses case, Burt’s Bees lip balm, hand sanitizer, lens wipes, ultralite wallet, and a black treat bag that has a belt clip and carabiner.

Not shown: White toddler socks (to keep Darian from licking his paws), moisture-wicking socks (to wear under booties), booties (for hot pavement and those oh-so-frequent Arizona snowstorms), cooling vest, raincoat, collapsible water bowl, Brita filter water bottle, gum, headache meds.

And in his service vest: Even more paper towels, poop bags, grocery bags, service dog info cards, vaccination records, my contact info, business cards for our training school, another collapsible water bowl.

I'm hoping I can strip this down when we go on the cruise. There's stuff I won't need, like the iPad (unless I get the internet package) and probably the dog mat, since he usually prefers to lay on hard, cool surfaces. I'd imagine I won't be able to bring Nature's Miracle onboard, since it's a liquid. Thankfully, the only time he has accidents is if I'm not paying attention and he wants to pee where another dog has already marked. I'd imagine I can also keep the first aid kit in my cabin.

However, I don't carry a purse -- I don't even own one! -- so I'm not sure what I'll end up using for things like my seapass (that's what it's called, right?), wallet, important papers, sunscreen, etc. What do you guys use to carry your service dog gear?

IMAG0851.jpg.93a4b8e6e88d6f52896e3151445591e6.jpg

You will need the Aphis 7001 Form filled out by your Vet. Make sure that you have a visit with the Vet within a week prior to travel. All vaccinations MUST be current. And, have the Vet give you a form that states that your dog is in good health to travel. If your city requires a Dog Tag, have a copy of that. [The city of Los Angeles requires that all dogs be registered, even if they're Service Dogs, there is no fee for SD's.]

Make 3 copies of all the paperwork; Keep the original on hand to show to anyone, in authority, who may ask, give one to the registration folks,[it will help to make registration and boarding the ship so much easier] and, have one to give to Immigration, if they ask.

You will go through Immigration when you disembark, they will ask to see your I.D.; Passport, Birth Cert. and will wave you through after clearance. No big deal will be made about your dog. They may ask, "have you visited a farm or ranch?" The very same question that will be on your Immigration Form to re-enter the U.S. Or, they will ignore your dog completely.

Make sure that your dog is acting appropriately at these times.

Once you've boarded you may be asked to see an Immigration official with your dog and an official from the ship. Bring their copy of ALL your paperwork. It will be very early and usually in one of the lounges or restaurants. On our last 14 day cruise to Mexico, in December, we were NOT asked to meet with anyone. Loved it!!!

When we first started traveling [cruising] with my SD in 2005, Immigration would pull us aside and examine the dog entering and exiting the ship.......They don't bother doing this anymore!!!

Mexico is easy, peasy to travel to with your dog.

Remember, they have NO leash laws and there are strays in the ports and on the beaches.

You will see Mexican guards everywhere near the dock. They want our business and they want us to be safe. :)

It is good that you are researching since some countries require lengthy, time consuming paperwork. Mexico is fairly simple. The APHIS 7001 form is valid for 30 days, but most of us do it close to departure as Roz mentioned. Some islands/countries require that it also be endorsed by a government authority, which is the state APHIS office, so I allow a little extra time to send for endorsement by overnight letter, with return overnight envelope enclosed.

There is a version of the Form 7001 (to be filled out and signed by your USDA certified vet) that includes (Section 9 "Remarks") some language in English and Spanish:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_aphis_7001.pdf

Here are the updated regs for Mexico as of January 2016:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/mx_pets_dog_cat_01_07_16.pdf

Information like this is found on the USDA APHIS IRegs page - use the drop down menu at the bottom of the page:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/export/iregs-for-animal-exports

Let us know if you have any other questions and we can try to assist.

Thank you! It looks like I should wait to get closer to my cruise before doing too much. I did find out that the local USDA office is under a mile away, and I'm pretty sure my vet is USDA-certified (which sounds like he's grade A beef or something :D ) because he's the veterinarian for the local Air Force Base, in charge of all the military security dogs, border patrol dogs, police dogs, and so on.

I thought this might be of interest. This is my everyday go-bag for when I leave the house with my service dog. It's the Con(vention) Survival Bag of Holding from Thinkgeek.com. It has three main compartments -- a big middle compartment, which I load with dog stuff, a back compartment that would normally be used for papers but is actually perfectly sized for a few paper towels, and a front compartment. The front compartment is perfect for a Kindle Paperwhite, pen, wallet, lip balm, and an iPad in a clear plastic front pocket that you can actually touch through. There's a hole from the main compartment to the front so you can carry a battery charger and run a cable to the iPad, phone, or whatever.

Top row: Kindle, USB-mini charging cord, battery pack/flashlight, phone, Captain America earbuds (I'm a huge Captain America fan!), iPad

The big green thing is a Ruffwear dog mat that compresses down into the green bag on the left side.

On the green dog bed: Tissues, super-absorbent towel, lots of paper towels, bottle of Nature’s Miracle (cap duct taped, bottle in a ziploc), pen, paracord bracelet (can be used as an emergency leash when untied), mini-roll of duct tape in an empty prescription bottle (so useful!), earplugs, the red thing is a reusable grocery bag that compresses down into a tiny little ball, doggie first aid kit (gauze pads, stretchy sticks-to-itself tape, band-aids, Benadryl, etc.), glasses case, Burt’s Bees lip balm, hand sanitizer, lens wipes, ultralite wallet, and a black treat bag that has a belt clip and carabiner.

Not shown: White toddler socks (to keep Darian from licking his paws), moisture-wicking socks (to wear under booties), booties (for hot pavement and those oh-so-frequent Arizona snowstorms), cooling vest, raincoat, collapsible water bowl, Brita filter water bottle, gum, headache meds.

And in his service vest: Even more paper towels, poop bags, grocery bags, service dog info cards, vaccination records, my contact info, business cards for our training school, another collapsible water bowl.

I'm hoping I can strip this down when we go on the cruise. There's stuff I won't need, like the iPad (unless I get the internet package) and probably the dog mat, since he usually prefers to lay on hard, cool surfaces. I'd imagine I won't be able to bring Nature's Miracle onboard, since it's a liquid. Thankfully, the only time he has accidents is if I'm not paying attention and he wants to pee where another dog has already marked. I'd imagine I can also keep the first aid kit in my cabin.

However, I don't carry a purse -- I don't even own one! -- so I'm not sure what I'll end up using for things like my seapass (that's what it's called, right?), wallet, important papers, sunscreen, etc. What do you guys use to carry your service dog gear?

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!!!

I must warn all of you who love to have the professional pictures taken with your dogs. The ships photographers will offer all sorts of backdrops......be very careful of the white sheet [that I love to use for my black dog.] It's butcher paper that they pull down and drape over the floor so that you can lay down with your dog and really pose! Horton thought it was for him to go potty on, and he did!!! I didn't even think about it until he started to go.

They literally sent a hazmat team in to clean the rug and remove the soiled paper. I was so embarrassed but it wasn't Horty's fault, it was mine.

ALWAYS watch where you're stepping or standing with your dog!!!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!!!

I must warn all of you who love to have the professional pictures taken with your dogs. The ships photographers will offer all sorts of backdrops......be very careful of the white sheet [that I love to use for my black dog.] It's butcher paper that they pull down and drape over the floor so that you can lay down with your dog and really pose! Horton thought it was for him to go potty on, and he did!!! I didn't even think about it until he started to go.

They literally sent a hazmat team in to clean the rug and remove the soiled paper. I was so embarrassed but it wasn't Horty's fault, it was mine.

ALWAYS watch where you're stepping or standing with your dog!!!

It's terribly inappropriate, but I can't stop laughing! I'm sorry.

Now I desperately want to meet Horton and give him a hug, once he's out of his "I'm working, don't bug me!" vest!

So after much thought we decided to leave Jemma home this cruise. We think she would be happier plus we have to still work with her listen to her commands from DH. She is really bonded with me and listens to me no matter what but still test DH. I might see if her trainer will take her that week and work with her more since he is taking our puppy to train while we are gone.

So after much thought we decided to leave Jemma home this cruise. We think she would be happier plus we have to still work with her listen to her commands from DH. She is really bonded with me and listens to me no matter what but still test DH. I might see if her trainer will take her that week and work with her more since he is taking our puppy to train while we are gone.

Oh! Jemma, I'm so sorry that you won't be cruising with Mom and Dad. The public, including me, really needs to see Pit Bulls as Service Dogs out and about.

I remember before I got my first Service Dog in 2002 how my DH was my everything. Then my SD showed me how my life could still be rich and full and I learned to carry on. I could travel in every venue and still feel safe.

You are lucky to have each other to travel with.....one day, you'll try it with your SD and you'll never look back!!!!! ;)

Oh! Jemma, I'm so sorry that you won't be cruising with Mom and Dad. The public, including me, really needs to see Pit Bulls as Service Dogs out and about.

I remember before I got my first Service Dog in 2002 how my DH was my everything. Then my SD showed me how my life could still be rich and full and I learned to carry on. I could travel in every venue and still feel safe.

You are lucky to have each other to travel with.....one day, you'll try it with your SD and you'll never look back!!!!! ;)

Thanks Roz! I'm so sad about leaving her, it would have given me a break with being my DH ears. luckily her trainer just agreed to take her for the week which was a load off of me. I could have had the neighbors watch her for free but this is so much better for her and he is going to work on snickers not chewing Jemma's ears lol.

It's terribly inappropriate, but I can't stop laughing! I'm sorry.

Now I desperately want to meet Horton and give him a hug, once he's out of his "I'm working, don't bug me!" vest!

Be careful, You're going to fall madly in love. He's a BIG boy with the walk of a prancing horse and the run of an Arabian Stallion. When the trainers first brought him into the training room and we were all sitting around the room watching and learning dog behavior, there was an audible "gasp" from everyone who saw him.

Horton loves to be "on!" He walked right beside the trainer and we were all staring at his gait. He physically raises each front leg up to his chest, it's so cute to see. You can't help but comment and smile at him.

I NEVER thought that the trainers were thinking of me with him. Everyone wanted him. I feel so lucky - He's a very handsome boy!

My family and I went out to dinner last night. As we were leaving the restaurant, a woman behind me started saying that she has always wanted to raise a puppy for a service dog organization. As soon as we cleared the door, I turned to her and said when would you like to start? She said bit I don't have a fence in back yard. I said you don't need one. We then answered all her questions and gave her some information on CCI. I also gave her my e-mail. Hopefully she will become a puppy raiser near us. You just never know who you will meet.

My family and I went out to dinner last night. As we were leaving the restaurant, a woman behind me started saying that she has always wanted to raise a puppy for a service dog organization. As soon as we cleared the door, I turned to her and said when would you like to start? She said bit I don't have a fence in back yard. I said you don't need one. We then answered all her questions and gave her some information on CCI. I also gave her my e-mail. Hopefully she will become a puppy raiser near us. You just never know who you will meet.

You're a wonderful ambassador for CCI. I can't thank you enough for all that you do!!!!! And, hopefully you've sold the idea to another "life-changer" family.

I thought I was organized, but you have me beat by a mile. I carry most of my dog's gear in a backpack on my wheelchair. I have a cross body bag that I bought on eBags that I use to carry my stuff (kindle, wallet, sunglasses, phone, etc) - it leaves my hands free to hold the dog's leash, etc.

Dianne

The school I'm working with will board the puppy (and continue his training) if necessary. We're not doing scent-alert training or brace/balance work -- it's all physical positioning for PTSD -- and some pups can be ready for public access in their first year, while others take significantly longer. It all depends on temperament, training, and luck when it comes to fear periods. And it may be a moot point, if I don't get a puppy out of this very next litter. All the other litters this year will produce pups who'll be too young.

Either way, I'm really hoping my current SD is still willing and able to keep working, even at age ten.

Being ready for training/being in public is not the same as being a fully-trained service dog, which typically happens between 18-24 months of age. Public access training is begun when the puppy is young.

What is "physical positioning for PTSD"? Is that the same as DPT?

So cute, Horton's got one! He's a real toy lover. He must have a toy to play with when we travel. I AWAYS buy him a new one each travel journey. I take it out and he's a happy boy in a new cabin or hotel room!

I typically buy new toys for most trips (not short ones that are a few days long), too. :) I try to make them applicable to the trip, so my previous girl had a lot of tropical/Caribbean-themed toys! And Disney toys, of course. (But poor Minnie Mouse was laid to rest recently thanks to my current girl! :eek: ;) ) One of my previous girl's favorite toys was a plush suitcase with travel patches from different locations on it - really cute!