Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Ok here's our bulkhead seat story. We always fly Jetblue and get the bulkhead seats. You can't even pick them as your seat cuz jetblue reserves them for handicapped and elderly and the people that lie to get more room. This time we are flying American. Our flight was originally 6:40am (don't know what idiot booked that). Then it changed to 6:20. Now Saturday they call to ask what John will need to board and a few questions about the dog. Then I ask for the bulkhead seats. Oh no she tells me, those are an exit row, he can't sit there. Ugh. So John gets on the phone and asks for a supervisor. He calls us a while later and yadda yadda yadda, we are now leaving at 5am!! But we got the bulkhead seats. 😨

I've read in several sources that an option if your dog does not have an ISO 15 digit chip is to carry your own chip scanner so you could demonstrate as needed that the dog matches the chip number on the form 7001.

I found and ordered a scanner on Amazon this week called the Halo for $80. Much less expensive than most, which are $250 or more. Also cheaper than having the dog chipped again. Reviews seem good, but I will post my experience with it when it arrives.

For Hoover - here's the scoop! The $80 (shipping incl) "Halo" microchip scanner arrived yesterday (in three days!) and so far, I am 100% satisfied. Works like a charm. A small display screen showed Raylene's chip number within a few seconds after I held it against where the chip is located on her shoulder.

It comes with a USB port and cable so you can attach it to a computer to charge the device - Windows 98 or later. Apparently will do 800 reads on one charge. It is lightweight, round and fairly small - about 5" in diameter.

So I will no longer consider having Raylene chipped again since she already has two (PetWatch and Avid) - I'll just carry this with me on trips. I've been thinking of booking another transatlantic for several years - now I have the device to prove she is chipped, even if not with the newer 15-digit ISO standard chip.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

CChris - head on over this way - we'd be thrilled to see you on this side of the pond! :D

Lovely invitation! I've been thinking of flying to Italy again and sailing home, maybe in 2017. We had such a great time doing that in our pre-dog days. Must think through the logistics.

Colleen on this forum once mentioned the name of a dog-friendly hotel in Rome (I wrote it down) where she took her beloved Oz, and perhaps by now she has taken her new Hearing Dog, Misty.

Ok here's our bulkhead seat story. We always fly Jetblue and get the bulkhead seats. You can't even pick them as your seat cuz jetblue reserves them for handicapped and elderly and the people that lie to get more room. This time we are flying American. Our flight was originally 6:40am (don't know what idiot booked that). Then it changed to 6:20. Now Saturday they call to ask what John will need to board and a few questions about the dog. Then I ask for the bulkhead seats. Oh no she tells me, those are an exit row, he can't sit there. Ugh. So John gets on the phone and asks for a supervisor. He calls us a while later and yadda yadda yadda, we are now leaving at 5am!! But we got the bulkhead seats.

Cindy, you're going on a cruise.....Soon you'll have someone making up your room twice a day, 24 hour room service, dinner is cooked, no dishes to wash, no laundry to do and you can take an afternoon nap or go laze in the sun. Hang on Cindy, you're almost there!!!!

She sure did Cindy. It's a good thing she isn't going on the Alaska cruise with me. I would stick ear plugs in Horton's ears and sit back and laugh!!

Horton's one of the few beings in this life who lays at my feet [okay, mostly when I'm eating to see if he can scramble up some tid-bits] and watches me intently when I speak [okay, okay, like he has a choice-he's on a leash!]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

For Hoover - here's the scoop! The $80 (shipping incl) "Halo" microchip scanner arrived yesterday (in three days!) and so far, I am 100% satisfied. Works like a charm. A small display screen showed Raylene's chip number within a few seconds after I held it against where the chip is located on her shoulder.

It comes with a USB port and cable so you can attach it to a computer to charge the device - Windows 98 or later. Apparently will do 800 reads on one charge. It is lightweight, round and fairly small - about 5" in diameter.

So I will no longer consider having Raylene chipped again since she already has two (PetWatch and Avid) - I'll just carry this with me on trips. I've been thinking of booking another transatlantic for several years - now I have the device to prove she is chipped, even if not with the newer 15-digit ISO standard chip.

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ok here's our bulkhead seat story. We always fly Jetblue and get the bulkhead seats. You can't even pick them as your seat cuz jetblue reserves them for handicapped and elderly and the people that lie to get more room. This time we are flying American. Our flight was originally 6:40am (don't know what idiot booked that). Then it changed to 6:20. Now Saturday they call to ask what John will need to board and a few questions about the dog. Then I ask for the bulkhead seats. Oh no she tells me, those are an exit row, he can't sit there. Ugh. So John gets on the phone and asks for a supervisor. He calls us a while later and yadda yadda yadda, we are now leaving at 5am!! But we got the bulkhead seats. 😨

I haven't flown American; let us know how it goes. I would be interested in knowing about their bulkhead seats and how much room there is. When you fly in the bulkhead, does Wexler lie in front of your feet?

We are taking our first flight with Henri on Thursday on JetBlue so wish me luck that it all goes well. Not a cruise yet, just to Las Vegas which is only about an hour and a half flight.

Dianne

Cindy, you're going on a cruise.....Soon you'll have someone making up your room twice a day, 24 hour room service, dinner is cooked, no dishes to wash, no laundry to do and you can take an afternoon nap or go laze in the sun. Hang on Cindy, you're almost there!!!!

I know Roz. It's always nice to be waited on. 😀 Had a nice relaxing pedi today. Tomorrow all hell breaks loose! John is home and it's packing day. Thursday i go home to take care of mom and Fri Wex has the groomers. Unfortunately we have a 3am ride picking us up on Saturday. Not sure if we will try to sleep or not.

Edited by rangeley

Lovely invitation! I've been thinking of flying to Italy again and sailing home, maybe in 2017. We had such a great time doing that in our pre-dog days. Must think through the logistics.

Colleen on this forum once mentioned the name of a dog-friendly hotel in Rome (I wrote it down) where she took her beloved Oz, and perhaps by now she has taken her new Hearing Dog, Misty.

We have been on three transatlantics from Rome (pre-dog). I would love to do it again. That would be great if you could go Chris and then you can tell me how to do it!

Dianne

I haven't flown American; let us know how it goes. I would be interested in knowing about their bulkhead seats and how much room there is. When you fly in the bulkhead, does Wexler lie in front of your feet?

We are taking our first flight with Henri on Thursday on JetBlue so wish me luck that it all goes well. Not a cruise yet, just to Las Vegas which is only about an hour and a half flight.

Dianne

Yes Wexler lays at my feet, so by the time we get there my feet are asleep.

Jetblue is awesome! !! They are so nice and great with the dog. Have a great trip!!

Dianne

Brenda used to roll up like a pill bug right in front of my seat. I had to raise my legs and rest my feet on the wall [this position can not go for much longer than 2 hours.] Horton lays spread out and his legs stretch to the next seat. I've been very lucky to have people who haven't minded so far. And, the attendants have not fussed about it. They could ask me to pay for another seat if he took up too much space. I've not been asked to do that either.

Once, with Brenda, we were kicked into Business Class by a really lovely attendant. You never know who you're going to get and how nice they'll be. Which is why it's ALWAYS to your advantage to stay calm and polite!!!!

Ya what's up with that. She's being a poop.

Hey, hey, hey......cut the woman some slack here. I'm trying to work, write, take care of a very needy Horton [it's lunch time] and bask in our 72 degree temperature's here in L.A., that call for turning on of the AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Just Saying!!!!

I know Roz. It's always nice to be waited on. Had a nice relaxing pedi today. Tomorrow all hell breaks loose! John is home and it's packing day. Thursday i go home to take care of mom and Fri Wex has the groomers. Unfortunately we have a 3am ride picking us up on Saturday. Not sure if we will try to sleep or not.

Don't even try. It'll just be fitful and not relaxing at all. Stay up and catch-up later!!! ;)

We have been on three transatlantics from Rome (pre-dog). I would love to do it again. That would be great if you could go Chris and then you can tell me how to do it!

Dianne

Dianne, you will do it again. Only you'll do it with Henri. Cruising is so much better with Horton along.

Hey, hey, hey......cut the woman some slack here. I'm trying to work, write, take care of a very needy Horton [it's lunch time] and bask in our 72 degree temperature's here in L.A., that call for turning on of the AIR CONDITIONING!!!! Just Saying!!!!

Horton gets lunch? I'm not telling Raylene...she only gets breakfast and dinner. Plus a few treats and a dental chew.