Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We're hearing about your upcoming snow on all our news channels. I hope it's not as bad as they say. We're getting rain, here and there but nothing like they thought it was going to be!

I hope all of you on the Eastern side of our country stay safe, please!

For once it looks like Boston will be spared. Only and inch or two for us!! :D

Just noticed my ticker, 8 days!! :eek::eek::eek: Holy crap!!! Let the panic set in. Of course I've done nothing. lol Got my hair done, thats it. I've made alot of appointments for next week but thats about it.

We have this thing here called "the ride" it's for handicapped persons. Its a nice van that will take you just about anywhere, $4.00 a trip. And I'm free because I'm Johns PCA. Well this year our flight is early and the ride doesn't start til 6am. Of course we had to scramble around to try to find alternate plans. Found a hp van to take us but now it's going to cost $50.00 ugh!!!!! Better than asking our bro in law to take us at 4:45am. :D

I do have a goal for this trip, 1 suitcase and 1 carryon. Don't know if it can be done but I'm really going to try. I have no help for this trip as you know, because I've whined about it. If we have to pay for laundry on the ship, thats what we will do. Maybe the kids can go next year. I realize they have a wedding to plan for right now.

Here's a picture of the "save the date" cards John did for the wedding.

John went for a fitting yesterday for the new van that we have been trying to get since October 2014. It did not go well. Right now he has a lift on his van and the new one has a ramp. He just doesn't have enough strength to make it up the ramp. They've put a pulley system on it but it's a real pain for him to do. The six-way power seat is so big and bulky now that it takes up half the van. There's not enough room for his feet to swivel around. So much crap on this seat that his knees are almost up to his chest. He can't even use the shifter. You need to put on the brake to shift. Well when you use hand controls, you need a hand to push the brake and the have to press a button and shift with the other hand. He doesnt have enough strength for that. OMG! It was horrible. Some of the stuff they solved and some they didn't. Its really been stressful on both of us. Hopefully we can forget about it for now and enjoy our cruise. I hate when things happen right before you go away. So glad we can get away from it all.

Cindy

2097659398_StephaleeSavetheDate7-Copy(2).jpg.5c9661a5e0c794d32cfee32342b225bb.jpg

Edited by rangeley

I guess I'm irresponsible then Roz??? :eek:

Oh not at all. I would not want anyone to feel that way. Having a service dog is fairly new to me, and in November it would be our first cruise. So if they said I needed to stand on my head and spit out wooden nickels I would probably try, of course that would probably land me in the hospital.

Anyhow, I am so very nervous doing this cruise that I am sure I am overprepared with Duncan. Just reading this blog I see the love you have for your dogs and would always protect them at all costs.

Duncan & his mom

IMG_20160121_1806170_rewind.jpg.a5d5125a6df43374ec4ee4a3624e000a.jpg

Oh not at all. I would not want anyone to feel that way. Having a service dog is fairly new to me, and in November it would be our first cruise. So if they said I needed to stand on my head and spit out wooden nickels I would probably try, of course that would probably land me in the hospital.

Anyhow, I am so very nervous doing this cruise that I am sure I am overprepared with Duncan. Just reading this blog I see the love you have for your dogs and would always protect them at all costs.

Duncan & his mom

Omg Duncan is adorable!!!

Hoover - Duncan is so handsome, I could just cuddle him right now! - we have a girl Newfoundland in our village who rather fancies Max, the chocolate boy lab. She makes a bee line for him if they see each other out walking - He's a lucky boy with all these girls dogs around him but he's only really interested in where his next treat is coming from! LOL!!! Thank you for posting the photos of Duncan.

Glad to hear Boston not too bad weather wise.

Rangeley - you're on holiday, I'm with you, send the laundry out! Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy just being away from it all. :).

Thanks for the comments on Duncan. He is kinda dirty. Tomorrow bath and grooming. I sit on the patio floor and wash away.

I loved the lab picture, they get that sad I am starving look.

FYI , I drove by my vet office todAy and they has on the sign outside Microchip $25.00. I called and checked and it is ISO compliant 15 digits. So if someone needs a microchip Nd is in central Florida I can let u know more info.

So what do you do when it's snowing and your wife and best friend (choc lab Lucy) are at the beach for the month? You cook up a big pot of seafood chowder with clams, cod, shrimp and oysters and you call the neighbors across the cul-de-sac and say "hey - what are you doing for dinner?".

works every time:D

Edited by alexspepa

...I'm also having to log in every time with the longest numeric password in the world. Come on Walt, where are you?
I reported your problem to our support staff. You should be getting a reply shortly.

Just noticed my ticker, 8 days!! :eek::eek::eek: Holy crap!!! Let the panic set in. Of course I've done nothing. lol Got my hair done, thats it. I've made alot of appointments for next week but thats about it.

We have this thing here called "the ride" it's for handicapped persons. Its a nice van that will take you just about anywhere, $4.00 a trip. And I'm free because I'm Johns PCA. Well this year our flight is early and the ride doesn't start til 6am. Of course we had to scramble around to try to find alternate plans. Found a hp van to take us but now it's going to cost $50.00 ugh!!!!! Better than asking our bro in law to take us at 4:45am. :D

I do have a goal for this trip, 1 suitcase and 1 carryon. Don't know if it can be done but I'm really going to try. I have no help for this trip as you know, because I've whined about it. If we have to pay for laundry on the ship, thats what we will do. Maybe the kids can go next year. I realize they have a wedding to plan for right now.

Here's a picture of the "save the date" cards John did for the wedding.

John went for a fitting yesterday for the new van that we have been trying to get since October 2014. It did not go well. Right now he has a lift on his van and the new one has a ramp. He just doesn't have enough strength to make it up the ramp. They've put a pulley system on it but it's a real pain for him to do. The six-way power seat is so big and bulky now that it takes up half the van. There's not enough room for his feet to swivel around. So much crap on this seat that his knees are almost up to his chest. He can't even use the shifter. You need to put on the brake to shift. Well when you use hand controls, you need a hand to push the brake and the have to press a button and shift with the other hand. He doesnt have enough strength for that. OMG! It was horrible. Some of the stuff they solved and some they didn't. Its really been stressful on both of us. Hopefully we can forget about it for now and enjoy our cruise. I hate when things happen right before you go away. So glad we can get away from it all.

Cindy

I hope they get the van figured out, its so hard not to have wheels. You did do the most important thing - getting your hair done!

Hope everyone stays safe on the East Coast.

Dianne

Hoover: I have a big ole black and white Nephie Nephew! His name is Henri. His mom fancy's France, visits there as often as possible. Thus the Henri with an I even though he is a boy. I can hear it pronounced every time I say it as On-Rae. Almost like ornery, which he is, sometimes. Most times, just a big ole teddy bear. :D

For once it looks like Boston will be spared. Only and inch or two for us!! :D

Cindy, We are watching CNN covering the weather in NY & DC. It sounds like the system shifted a bit. Will Boston get a more direct hit? They are saying over 200,000 customers without power in the storm's path so far. Please keep us posted that you are safe. Wondering about how DKD and his family are doing as well.

Thanks,

Beckie

Cindy, We are watching CNN covering the weather in NY & DC. It sounds like the system shifted a bit. Will Boston get a more direct hit? They are saying over 200,000 customers without power in the storm's path so far. Please keep us posted that you are safe. Wondering about how DKD and his family are doing as well.

Thanks,

Beckie

You're right it's 3-6 now😡 think dkd is getting hammered.

I'm doing last minute packing, as I leave tomorrow for Port Canaveral and the Disney Dream!

I'll miss not having Jagger, but we are doing better. I was going to stay at a hotel at the port tonight but it's just too darned cold. Walking on the beach would not be fun. Might as well save the money and maybe do something special on board.

I am so ready for this!

Hope everyone is safe and warm. See you when I get back.

Holly

Edited by thephantomsgirl

Holly - have a wonderful cruise and I know you'll miss your gorgeous boy, but what a welcome you will get when you return! :). Next time you may well be setting off together!

Enjoy and look forward to hearing about it when you get back!

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm - we are seeing all the news reports of your snow storm in the U.S.

Cindy, I'm so sorry the new van is causing hassles for John. Similar thing happened to my nephew who has used a motorized chair and has needed a van with lift, ever since his accident in 2003. The old one worked for him but was breaking down a lot, so he ordered a fancy Sprinter from some conversion company in St. Louis, I think. The layout never has suited him, and the darned thing cost a fortune. So he's still using the old decrepit one most of the time. So frustrating.

I'm doing last minute packing, as I leave tomorrow for Port Canaveral and the Disney Dream!

I'll miss not having Jagger, but we are doing better. I was going to stay at a hotel at the port tonight but it's just too darned cold. Walking on the beach would not be fun. Might as well save the money and maybe do something special on board.

I am so ready for this!

Hope everyone is safe and warm. See you when I get back.

Holly

Have a great cruise Holly!!!

Cindy, I'm so sorry the new van is causing hassles for John. Similar thing happened to my nephew who has used a motorized chair and has needed a van with lift, ever since his accident in 2003. The old one worked for him but was breaking down a lot, so he ordered a fancy Sprinter from some conversion company in St. Louis, I think. The layout never has suited him, and the darned thing cost a fortune. So he's still using the old decrepit one most of the time. So frustrating.

Ugh I'm praying it all works out. But since we leave next weekend, it'll just have to wait.