Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I was browsing through pictures and thought I would try and post a few.

[ATTACH]118694[/ATTACH] Leann Emily

[ATTACH]118695[/ATTACH] Reno

[ATTACH]118696[/ATTACH] Jezzy Lou

Nancy

I love the pictures. Especially the yellow lab. How did you post the pictures. I still want to post some from puppy boot camp at my house.

I love the pictures. Especially the yellow lab. How did you post the pictures. I still want to post some from puppy boot camp at my house.

Sunshine: I am like you. I don't post them often enough and the instructions I get are greek. BUT, here is what I did. Go ahead and click on reply. Then click on the paperclip on the top row, next to the print type, size and colors. It took me to my computer menu and I picked my pictures, then hit upload. Then close that window and you are back at the reply section for the board. Click on paperclip again and it will ask you if you want to (load) can't remeber exact wording, but I clicked on load all and voila, they appear!!!!! I feel like a genious :eek: Try it.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, I have more, but my Vista from he!! program says it is not compatable with my camera and there are no compatable programs to upload? So I have to use Keith's computer and yadda, yadda. Will try and find the rest of picture. I also have some great ones on my phone, but that is another time and session to figure out how to upload those!

Nancy

OK, so just my avatar but it was the only pic I could find in my files that is small enough - boy they want tiny files!!! Now, to figure out how to make some pics thumbnails and I'll be set.

PS. thanks for the instructions and the great pics too!!!

Miriam

Edited by kerrytens

Your welcome! I stumbled across it when I was just pointing on things to see what they were, and sure enough it seems simpler than the pages of instructions and multiple steps. I just don't have that many pictures on my computer, most are on Keith's or still in the camera and phone.

Nancy

Well even with Mr Sunshine's help, no photo's. We must have something that is blocking it on our own computer. They were pretty cute pictures, so I am disappointed.

On a personal note, my daughter is recovering well from her car accident one week ago. Those pictures I have no desire to post. We have all decided that we aren't going to look at them anymore, way to disturbing.

I should be bringing home more puppies in one week. Time to get out the pen, the plastic, the puppy pads, the camera, the cleaners........

Nancy. My daughter had a rosary hanging from her rear view mirror. She said in the final moments of the accident, as she was veering under the truck, she bowed her head in prayer. She thought those were her last moments of life. She said the car became very quiet and then as she slowed down and came to a stop, the noise returned. The first thing she saw was the cross dangling from the now shattered windshield. I think the fact that her head was bowed saved her from facial injury. The truck actually dragged her car for a distance, which might have actually prevented worse bodily injury. OK, no more car stories. Back to puppies. I promise, next week, I will have happier and at least funnier stories to tell.

Sunshine:

I have had those quiet, time standing still, slow motion moments before. Nothing to do with watching myself going up a big rig and being drug by it, though:eek: I have goosebumps just thinking how lucky she really is. I am sure you all know that, especially after seeing the pictures and damage. I believe a higher power was riding with her, it just wasn't her day. On a lighter note, we had a little special needs boy that was always smiling. He was a goof off. We would always have to tell him "John Mark, come sit down and do your work." He would always reply, "Not today!" and laugh. Then later he would ask us for something, like a snack and we would have to say "Not today." He would giggle and get such a kick out of it. So, like I said, God said, "Not today," thank goodness.

Nancy

DSCN0168.jpg.df78f13ebe2ca42e5075a0b67cc02509.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg.a2754fd76cc978899018bd53858c2138.jpg

DSC_0429a.jpg.ab3103c78e2cb50d87299dae70bce7f8.jpg

The first one is Bailee. The Christmas one we were trying to get a pic for a card but we couldn't get a really good one. The last one is Rangeley in his kiddie pool. Rangeley loved his kiddie pool in the summer. If you click on the pic it gets bigger.

Edited by rangeley

I am so loving all the pictures. I think I needed to see happy pictures, so thanks all for posting them!! I believe I might invest in a kiddie pool for the pups when I have them. Who knows, Sandy the lab might like to as well. She loves to swim in the lake retrieving her tennis ball.

Question: We have a gold fish pond in our back yard. It is an ornamental pond with raised brick, so while I have had some dogs jump in, it is not a wade in type of pond. Recently a large turtle(probably a slider) has made a home in the pond:eek:. Now, Sandy doesn't want to walk by the pond. Do you think she is scared of the turtle??? She is a bit of a fraidy dog. According to the turtle guy at the pet store, I should try to get the turtle out as it might make a meal of our fish. That is a another story for another day.

Funny Roz, We just got home from Target and Werin was acting the same way -- maybe it is just Target? Well, I did a quick game of "how fast can you sit, down and stand" and Werin looked like a two year old again with tail wagging. It is her favorite game!

Do you reward the dog after they do it quickly or is it just something they enjoy doing? How many rounds of this do you do?

I love the pool. Thanks for the pictures. We used to have a puppy pool for our basset hounds. It gets really hot in Sacramento in the summer. I think Keldon might like one to cool off after running around.

I posted a question a few days ago whether most of you use travel agents for your cruise travel? If so, do they specialize in service dog travel or travel for those with disabilities? Especially Roz...this will be our third cruise with Princess, but first with Keldon. How is Princess to deal with when you are acting without a travel agent?

Have a good day everyone and thanks to all who have served our country.

Cindy: Thanks for the great picture of Rangeley! Reno loved his wading pool also! Grandson wasn't so happy sharing with Reno, though. Reno would get in, lay down and get his belly wet, then stand up and start shoveling water with his front feet. Travis would tell him to get out, but Reno just continued. I will try and find pictures.

We had a pool built in one of our houses. Throughout the whole construction process I took Reno down the steps and all around the pool. He did great. When it was finished and filled with water, he refused to get in past the first step. He would lay on it, but would not budge any further. We were shocked and figured we had the only Lab that didn't like to go swimming!

Everyone have a good day.

Nancy

Do you reward the dog after they do it quickly or is it just something they enjoy doing? How many rounds of this do you do?

In my house we call this "puppy push ups!". Generally a small food reward is provided, but the biggest reward of course is human praise and excitement. My dog (who is not a service dog) has good manners and my daughter would show her of with the puppy pushup, the "high five"and of course the extended "leave it", as in put a hot dog in front of her, tell her to leave it and make several circles around the pick up truck at a football tail gate. Totally impessed the college kids.

Now with young service dogs, I might do the push up routine(rapid sit and downs) but ALWAYS follow with a food reward an a HUGE pats and praise.

She gets all reved up on just working and verbal praise. Ususally when wwe are hanging around the LEGO aisle with Cameron and he is reviewing each and every LEGO possibility going on and on. Ha, Ha.

She gets all reved up on just working and verbal praise. Ususally when wwe are hanging around the LEGO aisle with Cameron and he is reviewing each and every LEGO possibility going on and on. Ha, Ha.

Oh my gosh...that sounds like our life! We have spent much time in the Lego aisle as well "reviewing each and every LEGO possibility on and on." I have to laugh because the other day at Walmart on a seemingly unending LEGO aisle expedition, my husband just sat down on one of the lower shelves and Keldon settled down on the floor beside him. Next time I will know what to suggest for them to pass the time! HAHA.

Kim

Here is a draft I wrote for our community website on SWA allowing pets.

What do you guys think about it?

When traveling with my service dog, Bailey, I often hear "Gee, I wish I could take my pet along." I understand how hard it is to leave the family dog or cat. Now, there is good news for small pet owners from Southwest Airlines. Starting June 17th, small dogs and cats (that can be stowed under the passengers seat) will be able to fly in the cabin.

Sorry. Pets do not earn rapid rewards and unaccompanied minors will not be able to bring their pets. The cost is $75.00 each way. No more than two (of same species) will be allowed per pet carrier and each passenger is allowed only one carrier.

Now for the rules:

Having a pet does not entitle the passenger to pre-board. Don’t plan on taking a carry on as the pet carrier replaces it. Pets must remain in the carrier at all times – no letting their head or tails pop out during the flight. Cats and dogs must be at least eight (8) weeks old for travel.

The animals must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless, and require no attention during flight. SWA’s policy states” We maintain the right to refuse acceptance of a cat or dog exhibiting aggressive behavior or any other characteristics that appear incompatible with air travel.” What happens if there is a disturbance in air? Would they make an emergency landing for a barking dog?

Southwest Airlines will not be responsible if a customer misses a flight due to the need to take the cat or dog to an outside relief area. If the pet becomes ill during the flight, oxygen or other first aid procedures will not be administered. In the event of an emergency, an oxygen mask may not be available for the cat or dog. Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the health or wellbeing of pets. Finally, Southwest Airlines will not accept pet remains in the cabin of the aircraft.

Since $75.00 is often much cheaper than a kennel or other vacation pet arrangements, I have to wonder how many irresponsible owners will think they can just put their dog in a carrier - with no more fore thought than given to a piece of luggage.

I certainly don’t want to sound elitist “I can take my dog but you can’t take your pet.” However, there is a very big difference between pets and service dogs - in training, health and grooming of the animal.

Will people bring small dogs and cats not appropriate for travel such as, animals prone to motion sickness, yapping dogs, cats that cry and claw at the carrier the entire flight? How will they plan for the discomfort to the animal’s ears on take off and landing? What about grooming standards that service dogs must meet for the safety of other passengers and animals (dander, fleas, ticks)?

According to the FAQ section of the SWA web site, s” Southwest does not require a health certificate or any other documentation from the Customer’s veterinarian for pets to travel.”

But according to their Pet Policy “Southwest Airlines accepts small vaccinated domestic cats and dogs.” How do they know they are vaccinated and with what vaccines?

Traveling with a dog presents its own set of challenges. Bailey has gone through hundreds of hours of training and I have completed several public access courses. This ensures that the dog is well behaved and not a threat to other travelers. Additionally, the dog needs protection from high-risk situations common with air travel. Other passengers should not be impacted by the presence of the dog. The owner must know the signs of stress the and relief schedule of their animals.

Again, I think this is wonderful news from SWA and I am not concerned about people that have animals for “show” or “competing” as they generally have the same standards for behavior, health and grooming as service dogs.

No, I am concerned about Aunt Betty’s dog, Fifi and for her fellow passengers. Betty can’t stand to leave little Fifi even though Fifi is a terror, yaps constantly, bites ankles, and small children.

It has taken years of education and the proven track record of service animals working well to gain the current level of acceptance. I just hope I don’t have to sit by a yapping dog for the whole flight.

Darcie:

You are right. There will always be the ones that have to break the rules and think its ok. I hate taking the furbabies to the vet. Just like our kids. There is always that nasty, dirty, matted (furbaby or kid) (not their fault, their parents fault ) that pick my babies to play with. Its like, "No, don't touch them." The airplane sounds like it could turn into the same situation. And, no verification of vacines? Now that is just plain crazy.

Nancy