Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OMG! Those eyes! A trainer at CCI said the reason they don't have Chocolate Labs is because they just haven't bred them. She said that Chocolate's are just as sharp, dedicated and loyal as other Labs.

I heard the same Roz. I really don't see why that would be. Same dog just different color.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

One of my cabin mates just messaged me and said she has pneumonia.

The cruise wasn't bad, but the headcold sure put a damper on it.

I have to say I am sure glad to be back home with Halo.

Linda and Halo

Yikes, there was a nasty bug for all of you. I hope you're feeling better!

Well, let's see:

• The weather here in L.A. is getting cooler; we're still breaking out in random fires, hopefully that will stop as we slowly, very slowly eek our way into winter.
  • The Dodgers are making us all smile as we watch them play their hearts out!
  • I have 5 more Saturdays until I cruise to Hawaii with my beautiful daughter.

I wish you all a safe and happy weekend :*

Well, let's see:

• The weather here in L.A. is getting cooler; we're still breaking out in random fires, hopefully that will stop as we slowly, very slowly eek our way into winter.
  • The Dodgers are making us all smile as we watch them play their hearts out!
  • I have 5 more Saturdays until I cruise to Hawaii with my beautiful daughter.

I wish you all a safe and happy weekend :*

Hi Roz, how nice to be going to Hawaii, I loved it there. Sounds like you are well. I have three more Saturday's and I go sailing. Have a wonderful weekend. Trudy

Hi there, I need some assistance with some concerns I have with sailing on Star Princess with my service dog Sumac. Please bear with me, this is a long thread and cannot read long text.

1. Sumac is a 70lbs male Black Lab and only pees on stuff and not turf or mulch. Do they provide little trees or hydrant to pee on for male dogs?

2. His diet consist of chopped up carrot and apple daily, scoop of yogourt, along with vitamin and supplements and little kibble. Will I be allowed to ask kitchen staff to get a carrot and an apple daily along with a knife so I can chop this up for his breakkie and dinner?

3. Will he be able to dine outside our room or only there will he be permitted?

4. Will the ship provide a bed and dish for him like hotels do or do I have to provide that?

5. I'm scared of open water and having a service dog with me, will they force me to constantly go outside so my dog can relieve himself? I hear they provide a box, can I ask for this box to be placed away from the railing and the view of the water?

6. I'm so stressed with this trip, I want to enjoy myself but my dog's comfort comes first so I'm stressing he will be ok on this trip.

Hi Roz, how nice to be going to Hawaii, I loved it there. Sounds like you are well. I have three more Saturday's and I go sailing. Have a wonderful weekend. Trudy

Hi Trudy,

So good to hear from you and to hear that you'll be sailing soon. Where are you going?

I've been so busy getting all of Horton's ducks in a row for Hawaii. They certainly don't make it easy for a dog to come into their beautiful state!

Hi there' date=' I need some assistance with some concerns I have with sailing on Star Princess with my service dog Sumac. Please bear with me, this is a long thread and cannot read long text.

1. Sumac is a 70lbs male Black Lab and only pees on stuff and not turf or mulch. Do they provide little trees or hydrant to pee on for male dogs? I have a male and he squats to pee. All CCI [Canine Companions for Independence dogs are trained to squat.] No, there will be no trees or hydrants [unless you go off the ship.]

2. His diet consist of chopped up carrot and apple daily, scoop of yogourt, along with vitamin and supplements and little kibble. Will I be allowed to ask kitchen staff to get a carrot and an apple daily along with a knife so I can chop this up for his breakkie and dinner? You may call room service and ask for carrots and apples and a sharp knife [which you may keep in your cabin.] You can also ask for these things at dinner.

3. Will he be able to dine outside our room or only there will he be permitted? Your dog should take all his meals in your cabin. Service Dogs should not be fed in the public setting.

4. Will the ship provide a bed and dish for him like hotels do or do I have to provide that? You may ask your cabin steward for extra blankets and make a bed for Sumac or bring one with you [i roll one up and bring it along], you also should bring your own dog bowls.

5. I'm scared of open water and having a service dog with me, will they force me to constantly go outside so my dog can relieve himself? I hear they provide a box, can I ask for this box to be placed away from the railing and the view of the water? You may ask that the potty box be placed in a stairwell or crew's working closet [which is inside.] I'm guessing you don't have a veranda cabin.

6. I'm so stressed with this trip, I want to enjoy myself but my dog's comfort comes first so I'm stressing he will be ok on this trip.

Remember, if you stress, your dog will stress. Stay calm and assertive.

The ship will NEVER ask you keep or take your dog anywhere other than with you.

Always make sure that Sumac is acting appropriately, and give yourself time to get from one place to another because your fellow passengers will be so curious about your dog and will have a lots of questions for you. Do allow them to touch your dog, if they ask, they're in such awe of the Service Dog. And, don't feel obligated to answer ALL their questions but please remember, you represent all of us when you travel with your SD.

Have a wonderful cruise and come back and tell us all about it!

I have a male and he squats to pee. All CCI [Canine Companions for Independence dogs are trained to squat.] No, there will be no trees or hydrants [unless you go off the ship.]

Roz, my dog is Canadian and we go with ADI (Assistance Dog International), he is getting his full certification today, big test is later this morning. I'll ask my head trainer if she knows of this rule with squatting.

And about answering question, I am not good at those... my pup is still new to me and this whole going out in public with my walking billboard is something challenging for sure. I'm working on it.

I just read about the rules of entry for Hawaii, holy... they want a rabies antibodies blood test that will cost $370!!!! Wow

Thanks for the heads up, we are going in April from Vancouver :)

SaveSave

Roz' date=' my dog is Canadian and we go with ADI (Assistance Dog International), he is getting his full certification today, big test is later this morning. I'll ask my head trainer if she knows of this rule with squatting.

And about answering question, I am not good at those... my pup is still new to me and this whole going out in public with my walking billboard is something challenging for sure. I'm working on it.

I just read about the rules of entry for Hawaii, holy... they want a rabies antibodies blood test that will cost $370!!!! Wow

[center']SaveSave[/center]

Congratulations on your dogs receiving his certification. I remember how excited I was when we graduated and I received my first Service Dog, Brenda. Your life will be forever changed and so much better.

We took our first cruise onboard the Celebrity Summit in 2005 and it was practically unheard of to see a Service Dog onboard a ship. Now, it's much more common and we are treated with the respect that our amazing dogs so well deserve!

Yes, you will feel like you have a walking, blinking billboard with you. You'll learn to just keep going, walk forward, and with your head held high. Don't let the folks who think that it's cute to make whistling and squeaking sounds to your dog get to you. Just keep focused and make sure Sumac stays on task. There is no excuse for rude behavior and you don't need to acknowledge it!

It's going to be a bit more expensive than usual to take Horton to Hawaii but I'm ready for it and it's an opportunity to be with my daughter, who's been through a lot this year and needs this trip and down-time very badly!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. There are some very well traveled folks on this thread who know a lot about traveling with their Service Dogs onboard cruise ships, airplanes, trains and every other way!!! ;p

Sumac,

Just keep asking questions. A few years ago, I read the entire thread. There were about 6000 posts at that time. I learned so much, and have asked plenty of questions since.

My Scooter passed his initial sets of tests with our trainer, but we are not taking him on our upcoming cruises in 2017/2018. He just isn't ready now. He won't be 2 years old until December, though, so we continue to train. He is doing great, but still gets distracted by young women in public. He thinks they will stop to rub his belly. :p. Naturally, all the young women we see, college students, want to!

I figure he will be fine by 2019, but don't want to push it in early 2018.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Roz' date=' my dog is Canadian and we go with ADI (Assistance Dog International), he is getting his full certification today, big test is later this morning. I'll ask my head trainer if she knows of this rule with squatting.

[center']SaveSave[/center]

There is not a rule that a male dog has to squat to pee - that's just how CCI trains them so that is easier to travel and go out with your dog. You can try training your dog to use a mini fire hydrant or something that he will be familiar with and then bring it with you to put it in the relief box on the ship.

We are going to Hawaii in April (the opposite way - Hawaii to Vancouver) I just paid $300 for my service dog's rabies titer. At least the test is good for three years; I am going to try to schedule another cruise to Hawaii before the end of 2020 so that we get our monies worth.

In addition to room service and the dining room you should also be able to get apples, carrots and a knife from the buffet most of the day.

I also bring a roll up dog bed and blanket for my dog to sleep on. I try to feed my dog in the cabin, but if I do need to feed her when we are not in the cabin I try to find an out of the way place where we won't be intrusive to other passengers.

Its always a little daunting to go on your first cruise, but you will have a great time.

Dianne

I live about 6 miles from my job. They are closing our offices in January and are moving most of us to our main office in L.A. [near Beverly Hills.] It's a lovely neighborhood but it's 26 miles from my home. Instead of driving 12 miles a day, I'll be driving 52 miles.

Although I am a firm believer in "unwinding" from your day of work, this is "unwinding" and "re-winding!"

It does give me a chance to drive up Rodeo Drive and do some really fun shopping [Christmas time in Beverly Hills is so much fun!] That said, I'm getting way too old for the L.A. traffic. Actually, I was way too old for this when I was 17.

I also should have retired years ago and have been putting it off because I wanted my job to pay for my cruising and spending habits.

My son has borrowed a huge sum of money from me with a promise to pay it back when I was ready to retire! Maybe that's why I keep extending my retirement plans, he keeps extending the payback! Kids!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but it did feel good! ;) ;p

I had a blood draw today. I have never taken Halo to any doctor visits or procedures. I took him today. He has not had to work outside the home for 3 weeks. He was perfect today.

As I was loading him into my car after the draw, a lady came running towards me. I smiled at her, but was bracing myself for negativity. I was so wrong, she couldn't stop praising him. She said she almost started crying when he looked at me and then rested his head on my foot while we where waiting. She said she admires service dogs, but had never seen a dog look at it's handler with such love. She said she could tell he took really good care of me.

I have been told that by friends but not a stranger.

It sure made my day.

Linda and Halo

I had a blood draw today. I have never taken Halo to any doctor visits or procedures. I took him today. He has not had to work outside the home for 3 weeks. He was perfect today.

As I was loading him into my car after the draw, a lady came running towards me. I smiled at her, but was bracing myself for negativity. I was so wrong, she couldn't stop praising him. She said she almost started crying when he looked at me and then rested his head on my foot while we where waiting. She said she admires service dogs, but had never seen a dog look at it's handler with such love. She said she could tell he took really good care of me.

I have been told that by friends but not a stranger.

It sure made my day.

Linda and Halo

Linda, what a great story. It so nice to hear these kind of things from strangers!

Halo loves his mommy ♥

I live about 6 miles from my job. They are closing our offices in January and are moving most of us to our main office in L.A. [near Beverly Hills.] It's a lovely neighborhood but it's 26 miles from my home. Instead of driving 12 miles a day, I'll be driving 52 miles.

LA driving is tough Roz - the drivers are so much more aggressive than here in Northern California!!

Dianne

LA driving is tough Roz - the drivers are so much more aggressive than here in Northern California!!

Dianne

Boy! Truer words have never been spoken. I sometimes feel like I need to put armor on after I buckle-up. I find I drive differently here than I do at my daughters in Livermore and for sure my other daughter in Eugene, Oregon!

A ships officer will want to see you and your dog at some time during the cruise, very early in the morning and with an Immigration Official from one or more of the ports that you are visiting. They may pre-warn you of this visit by phone [the night before or the morning of the inspection] or they will leave a note in your message box [outside your cabin.] Personally, I find it so annoying, just saying!

Again, if you're unhappy with the placement of the potty box......INSIST they move it to your veranda [if you have one] or in a stairwell near your cabin.

Roz,

• What do you mean about Official visit onboard the ship? The Animal Industry Division states "On arrival in Hawaii, the dog must be brought by the airline to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility"
  • I'm scared and worried they will separate Sumac from me for a few hours until this inspection is complete
  • Am I allowed to bring a plastic tree/shrub or a plastic fire hydrant and place in his potty box?

P.S Sumac and I passed our BC Guide Dogs and Service Dog Test yesterday <3

SaveSave

SaveSave

Roz' date=' [/font']

• What do you mean about Official visit onboard the ship? The Animal Industry Division states "On arrival in Hawaii, the dog must be brought by the airline to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility"
  • I'm scared and worried they will separate Sumac from me for a few hours until this inspection is complete
  • Am I allowed to bring a plastic tree/shrub or a plastic fire hydrant and place in his potty box?

SaveSave

SaveSave

Congratulations on passing your Service Dog test. My service dog Henri and I are also certified in BC.

Yes, you can bring those items and place them in the potty box.

How are you arriving in Hawaii? Via cruise ship or airline?

Dianne

Star Princess departing 10 April from Vancouver

The rule you are quoting applies to non-service dogs arriving via airplane (the dog must be brought by the airline to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility).

Roz should be able to answer that question since you are arriving via cruise ship and she is doing the same thing. As far as I know, you must arrange for a vet inspection (similar to what you would need to do if you are flying into an island other than Oahu).

Dianne

Roz' date=' [/font']

SaveSave

SaveSave

Remember: You're not arriving by airline, you're arriving by ship and you've been cruising the Pacific Ocean for at least 5 days before arrival, so you haven't had a chance to meet some of their guidelines for entering Hawaii with a dog. You have a legitimate Service Dog, and you're not flying in so the regulations are very different for you.

Congratulations on passing your test with Sumac. You may bring whatever makes Sumac's life easier, as long as it doesn't impinge on anyone's safety.

I will be sending in ALL my paperwork via fax [they will NOT open email attachments], they will accept fax's for Service Dogs ONLY, after Horton's Vet visit on November 7th.

THEY NEED: Fax: http://www.myfax.com/free or http://www.gotfreefax.com or http://faxzero.com

1. Travel Itinerary [name of vessel, dates, ports and times of arrival]

2. Passing OIE-FAVN blood test

3. Current Rabies Vaccination

4. Proof of Microchip

5. Proof of immunization record [current]

6. Explanation of what service the dog provides for you

There is no waiting periods for Guide or Service Dogs. Which means they will NOT take your dog from you to hold in quarantine. Your dog will NEVER be separated from you.

They would like ALL the paperwork 30 days prior to arrival to your first island. There will be a Vet to meet you at one of the ports [it's unclear which one], I imagine it's probably the first one, to examine your dog. There may be a fee for this exam but again, I'm unclear as to what the fee is. When I return I'll fill you all in on what they asked for and what I had to do to get "DIRECT RELEASE" for Horton.

Most of you know that I work for a university.

I'm having a really bad week after losing a student who was involved in the organization that I'm the faculty advisor for. The student passed on Tuesday evening We told the students in the group who didn't already know at the scheduled meeting on Wednesday. Many of them already knew.

One of the young ladies just completely broke down. Scooter to the rescue.

There is just something special about holding onto this big, goofy, loving dog while you cry.

I had our director of counseling at the meeting to provide information and help to anyone who needed it.

Hugs to all.

Most of you know that I work for a university.

I'm having a really bad week after losing a student who was involved in the organization that I'm the faculty advisor for. The student passed on Tuesday evening We told the students in the group who didn't already know at the scheduled meeting on Wednesday. Many of them already knew.

There is just something special about holding onto this big, goofy, loving dog while you cry.

I had our director of counseling at the meeting to provide information and help to anyone who needed it.

Hugs to all.

Oh! Barb, I'm so sorry. Our dogs are miracle workers at times like these.

My first Service Dog, Brenda, was borrowed by a Child Psychiatrist in our building, when a 10 year old girl was brought into her practice because she had completely shut down after being abused by a friend of her mother's. Brenda laid by her side and on the third day the little girl started to talk to Brenda, only. It was truly a miracle for everyone. After 3 weeks of borrowing Brenda, I will never forget when the little girl came downstairs to my office, we all had tears in our eyes, as she said, "thank you" to me and hugged Brenda!

I adored my Brenny as I do my Horton.

Hugs to all.

So sorry to hear your sad news, so devastating for such a young person.

Dogs are amazing - the comfort they can provide is priceless. Henri's half-sister worked at out local courthouse and the difference she could make was incredible especially with children who were victims of abuse.

Dianne

Here I am in the midst of Vet visits, blood draws and fax's to Hawaii, and my job [of more than 20 years], decides they're closing our local offices and moving all staff [about 20 of us] to the main office in L.A. I think I mentioned this in a previous post......Now I have to focus on packing [20 years worth] because there's definitely stuff I don't want movers to touch. And, I have to make sure that I'm dotting all my "I's" and crossing all my "T's" for this Hawaii cruise, while attending all the meetings [they're also mixing up the staff, supervisors and managers] which are now 26 miles away. I have to keep Horton's Vet and groomer [which I picked because they were so close to my work] visits! I'll just have to take more personal time. Gawd!!!!!! What a headache.

Couldn't the powers that be wait until after my cruise? Honestly, don't these people know what priorities are?????

Happy weekend everyone ♥