Alaska Cruise Recommendations?

tennguy

I am thinking of taking a solo cruise to Alaska around the first week of September, probably r/t from Seattle. Does anyone have any recommendations for the cruise line or ship? It appears NCL, HAL, Princess and RCCI are the options. Is a balcony room highly prized for Alaska cruises? I'm a little hesitant about going solo, but from reading these posts, it sounds like one can still have a good time.

You will love Alaska. Since I have only been on Princess, I am not a good source for comparisons. But I did like Princess so much I am doing it again this year. There is lots to do on the ship and for me it was very easy to do things. People are friendly and curious about people who travel alone. One dinner, at the buffet, I had a woman ask me "what are you doing there by yourself? Get over here". I had the best conversation with her and her husband. She was stunned that I had come by myself and then amazed at the places I have been by myself. I met amazing people at meals. One breakfast I met a man who works for the company that made my dad's wheelchair.

My recommendation is go! Don't let going solo deter you from a great time.

Hi:) I agree with the previous poster:D

She sails Princess while I sail Celebrity but it seems we both

loved our experiences!

I went to Alaska last summer and it was fabulous! And yes,

I sailed solo too.

Met plenty of people and if you would like a suggestion, see if there

is a ROLL CALL for your particular cruise. That is a really fun way

to meet other folks!:)

The scenery is amazing...truely majestic.

I booked an inside cabin (it is what my budget allows) but I was

only one deck down from the lido....so it was just a quick walk

upstairs.

I 2nd the motion and say GO FOR IT:D

Tennguy (I like that name!)...

If you can in any way afford a balcony room, GET IT!!! I did a 10-day Alaska cruisetour on Princess, and having a balcony was the best! I spent almost the entire cruise perched on my balcony, with camera and binoculars (bring the biggest binocs you can). There is so much to see, and having a balcony room can help you see the most. (Plus, you can hang out in your skivvies while you're whale-watching, and not get cold!) Be sure to tune your TV to the channel that the naturalist's comments are broadcasting on, to get the most info.

Even if a balcony is out of reach for you, seeing Alaska is an experience not to be missed. Frankly, you'll probably meet more people if you don't have a balcony room, since you'd have to go to public areas to be outdoors. I got hooked on balconies on my 2nd cruise though, and haven't looked back since then.

There are plenty of opportunities to meet and mingle with the other cruisers as well--at dinner, on shore excursions, and just hanging around the ship's public areas. Plus, as was already said before, get on the Roll Call for your cruise. That's where you'll really get to know others and feel a part of a group before you sail.

As for which cruise line to AK--I've heard that Princess and HAL do it best, but it seems that several other lines are quickly matching their expertise. It's all a matter of which ports you want (and time spent in each port), and your budget.

You'll have a great time!

I cruised Alaska solo 2 years ago and highly recommend it. Cruised with NCL (not my favorite cruiseline) but got such a deal on a solo balcony that I couldn't pass it up. Since scenery is the real highlight of this area, the balcony allows you to take it all in without dealing with mobs of people all trying to get the best spot for sightseeing. NCL's freestyle dining was great for me because I didn't want to be pinned down to a specific time and place to eat.

Here, here, another "Tenngal".

I've done Alaska on HAL twice - once with friends and once solo. Had a blast both times. Booked an inside as that is what my budget permits. HAL had a lower single supplement than Celebrity, NCL, or Royal Caribbean. An Alaskan cruise is port intensive, more about the sights and scenery than the ship.

Don't worry about the balcony. If the weather's bad, you won't use it much anyway.

Roz

Hey there! I cruised to Alaska on the Amsterdam, and treated myself to a deluxe verandah suite. I usually don't travel in such style, but my goodness, what luxury. The ship itself is absolutely gorgeous. The balcony was huge, and when I went in August, we had particularly good weather. Although I prefer smaller ships (Seabourn is now my favorite), the Amsterdam was very beautiful and if you are on the Navigation deck you have a separate lounge where breakfast, lunch and evening snacks are served just for you.

Alaska is everything you'd think it would be, gorgeous. I could go back again and again. I took two spectacular excursions, one was the helicopter ride up to the dog sled camp (where you got to try out a sled!) and the other I booked myself, a floatplane that sailed over the scenery and landed on a couple of interior lakes.

I also doubled back, when the trip ended in Seattle, to Victoria so I could see Buchart Gardens in the day. I took a little plane (instead of the three hour ferry trip). It was a memorable trip, I think no matter what line you go on, you'll love Alaska.

Jane

Archived