What to do in FLL for a day with a rental car

Deep68

• 2 weeks later...

There are a number of things you can do in Florida. If you enjoy walking near the beach you can drive a short distance and walk on the boardwalk in Fort Lauderdale. If you like the coastline you can drive either North or South along the coastal highway. I would look at a travel site on lines (say http://www.frommers.com), look under Fort Lauderdale and it will give you a variety of suggestions.

Keith

Well...we are back from our cuise and I can now tell you what we did. We prebooked a car from Hertz. We waited 10 mins for the shuttle (this was at 9:15am), 10 minutes after that we were in our car and on the road..all very fast. We are Hertz #1 members so that speeds things up.

We drove down to Fort Lauderdale beach and walked along the sea front and marina areas then stopped for brunch in a cafe overlooking the ocean. By now it was very hot...way up in the 90's so we decided we needed to be indoors. So we then drove to Sawgrass Mills mall did a little shopping and caught a movie. We were back at Hertz at 5pm and in the airport by 5:15pm for our 7pm flight.

It all worked out very well and I would recommend this option for anyone with a late post cruise flight.

Well...we are back from our cuise and I can now tell you what we did. We prebooked a car from Hertz. We waited 10 mins for the shuttle (this was at 9:15am), 10 minutes after that we were in our car and on the road..all very fast. We are Hertz #1 members so that speeds things up.
We also plan to rent a car for the day as our flight leaves after 6pm.

Just one question. Do the shuttles for car rental companies run continuously from the port or do you have to pre-book or call them to pick you up?

ell

The shuttles were running frequently (perhaps every 20-35 mins) I saw Hertz, Avis, Budget and Alamo all come round a couple of times when I was still on the cruise ship. After picking me up from the HAL Zuiderdam the shuttle also stopped at the dock of a Princess ship.

At the Hertz car rental site there was a sign saying shuttle to airport every 5 mins and every 25mins to the port.

When I booked with Hertz they did ask which ship I was coming in on and what time I thought I would be off the boat, but they did not come to specifically pick me up.

A tip ... when I filled in my disembarkation form on the boat I mentioned I was collecting a car early in the morning. This meant I was not the last to disembark which I would have been if I just left my flight time on the paperwork.

check out http://www.flausa.com/

and http://www.sunny.org/visitors/index.cfm (Ft Laud info site)

depends what you like, if you have kids, etc...

water taxi is a good way to see the area, their hub is next to swimming hall of fame on Ft Laud beach (and near a decent restaurant - the Tap Room) I think it's $5/day for unlimited on/off...there's also a good childrens museum - the museum of science and discovery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Fort Lurderdale, we rented our car from National & the airport & pier locations are 1 in the same. They are both serviced by a shuttle bus. I would assume most other rental agencies are the same, but I would double check just to make sure.

• 2 months later...

Yeah Yeah Yeah! -- LOL - You want to see lots of boats and water and that type of stuff all the other things are great - done them all. HOWEVER, if you are into shopping and or commercial entertainment then the place to take that rental car is Sawgrass Mills. Its awesome and has every possible store you could ever want and most are outlets or discount stores like Marshalls and Burlington Coat Factory. There are a lot of cool restaurants too including Hard Rock Cafe. Just another suggestion! :) -- We are doing the same thing starting tomorrow - so might run into you. Also, there is a another mall that is extremely nice called Adventura which is on the Miami/FLL border.

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing this in March. We are flying into West Palm Beach airport renting a car driving to Ft. Lauderdale staying at Amerisuites on 10th Ave. before and after our cruise. We will have a full day we return from cruise on Easter Sunday 3/27/05 then driving back to WetsPalm beach on Monday morning and flight leaving at 1:00 pm.

We want to do the water taxi and an everglades tour boat ride, no shopping we can do that at home.

Where should we park? Can we keep the car parked in hotel on 10th Ave? Also we want a different kind of place to eat reasonable. No seafood and no romance needed, it's a mother and daughter trip! LOL

Any suggestions???

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived