NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I made my last $200 payment using BOA card on an upcoming cruise on 12/31st. This would slip me over to the 500 points needed for the certificate. My TA said that she gave NCL the information on the 31st, but my statement shows a transaction date of 1/1/09 - is there anything I can do about this:confused: My TA said she would check, but I am not hopeful from their end.

I think this is going to be a pain.....I just DH's online statement (closing date of 1/5/09). The ONLY points that were earned were from NCL ($500 onboard charges for Dec cruise) and the points got the bonus rate of 1% only. There are no points calculated/received at the 3%, from NCL or any other charges.

December's statement had 481 points, January's has 486 points. No credit for the $1000 in December charges...:mad:

Ugg, will have to call BoA, but think DH is going to have to do that since it's his account.

I'm having the same problem. My closing date was 1/3/09 and on 12/3/08 I charged $1700 toward my NCL Dawn cruise. I was only credited with 17 points! I should have gotten 51 at 3% & 17 at 1% for a total of 68 points. I am so upset, I am suppoused to have 503 points for closing statement and It only shows 452. I did call BOA last night and was given a runaround answer. I was told they would note my account and it would take 6-8 weeks to adjust it and I should receive my certificate by March 1st.

This was all told to me by a supervisior at BOA.

I don't trust them at all! There goes my $500 off certificate, gone!

I already have a 500 points as of the end of November but just got off of NCL cruise to South America and got like 18 extra bonus points because it was used on the cruise. However they did not give me credit for the other approx. 75 points that I should have gotten on the regular purchases through December. Probably will never get them but at least we should still get the 500 point certificate by the end of January. I'll have to find a cruise to use it on by the end of the year. Hate to waste $500 in cruise money.

Should be getting the new charge card soon also. :)

Transactions (and points) are posted to your account when a charge settles, not when it is initially authorozied. If you waited until 12/31 to make your final purchases, it takes a few days for the charged to process and settle, making the date of purchase (as far as points are concerned) into January, thus not making you elegible for the 3% under the compass reward points.

If BoA stated that all purchases through 12/31 will be getting the points under the old program, then you will get the points eventually when they straighten everything out. Any charges posting after 12/31 (even though you told NCL to charge the card on 12/31) will not be credited under the old program.

I'm having the same problem. My closing date was 1/3/09 and on 12/3/08 I charged $1700 toward my NCL Dawn cruise. I was only credited with 17 points! I should have gotten 51 at 3% & 17 at 1% for a total of 68 points. I am so upset, I am suppoused to have 503 points for closing statement and It only shows 452. I did call BOA last night and was given a runaround answer. I was told they would note my account and it would take 6-8 weeks to adjust it and I should receive my certificate by March 1st.

This was all told to me by a supervisior at BOA.

I don't trust them at all! There goes my $500 off certificate, gone!

I called BOA again today and I received a different answer. They do confirm I am missing 51 points and they are going to send my account into research for those points, they said it will take 3-5 days to review it. I'll have to call back next week.:mad:

Our closing date is tomorrow (the 10th) so I'll let you all know what happens with our BOA points. I will be furious if we don't have those last 30 points which we worked so hard to "earn"! :eek:

Our closing date was yesterday however I have not seen my bill posted yet. Anyone else running into this issue?

Just got off the phone with BOA and NCL, here is what the told me.

I talked to a BOA representative by the name of Ashley and was transferred to a NCL rep by the name of Sarah. Both reps were very friendly and were trying to answer my question but it seems like no one really knows what is going to happen with the end of the Compass Reward Program. I asked her about the points that do not reach the 100 point level, she relayed the following:

BOA does not have access to the Compass Reward Program as of Dec 31, 2008. She did take the time to look up everything and spoke to a supervisor. She transferred me to the NCL .

I spoke to Sarah, NCL rep, she relayed that NCL does not have access to the Compass Reward Program and she referred me back to BOA.

In frustration, I asked how do I end this revolving circle of finger pointing (call BOA, call NCL). She spoke to her supervisor who stated that BOA will send out all of the certificates by Jan 31, 2009. NCL and BOA are still in discussions about rounding up or down the extra points for certificates.

I asked Sarah who do I contact if I do not receive my certificates and if I feel that my points were not accurate, she stated that I would have to call BOA.

Anticipation at full force as I ripped into it. No credit card, nothing but the B of A gibberish of credit card terms and what they mean to you if you do not pay in full each month. Great terms like: APR means....., Cash In Advance means... and all the rest. The 6 double sided type written gibberish has a cover page stating on NCL letterhead and their Consumer Satisfaction department (no capital D used by NCL) & dated December 29, 2008 & received January 9, 2009.

This is a joke to me & my husband for folks that pay in full every month and we are to learn what great perks we get with his ugly yellow card. All this garbage received & states that Federal Law required them to provide this.

So we are not looking forward to what may show here or not as many are told they have to apply for their card. So this is quiet screwed up and we are not too excited at what we will be getting.

Then another envelope has a welcome home letter from NCL with an upgrade certificate from our Canadian cruise, tho we never got one for Dawn's Bermuda cruise last April. SO NCL OWES US ANOTHER REAL UPGRADE FOR FREE. This states that you are upgraded within they category you purchase & if an upgrade is not available you receive a credit for the difference.

The FAQ section on the NCL website clearly says that your card doesn't change and that you can just continue using it (if you want), so I'm just curious about the WorldPoints that I will have whenever they start showing up on our statements. I've used my old card after January 1 and it's working, so I'm pretty sure you don't need to reapply. If they were going to make us do that, I don't think the cards would be working, or am I just thinking in too simple terms?

Quote from NCL.com

Will my card change?

No. You can continue to use your NCL credit card as usual. The only change will be that you will begin earning WorldPoints rather than Compass Rewards points as of January 1, 2009.

If you had a NCL card under the compass program you will automatically be enrolled/switched over to the world points program. The card number will stay the same, however NCL is planning on mailing out the new yellow/gold cards as replacements. Card terms, credit lines, due date, card number, etc will all be the same - only difference is the 1/2% rather than the old 3/4%.

BoA's initial plans were for each card member to stop earning points as of their December closing date. This became an issue when, according to their terms, they need to give 90 day notice when the program ends. They changed plans to give points to all purchases through the end of the year, regardless of when your december close date was.

Statements going out early this month went out incorrectly reflecting earned points for this cycle. Rather than have the points broken down (one number for 2008 purchases and one number for 2009 purchases) the only points earned reflected at the 1/2% earning rate. People started complaining, they looked into it and are in the process of making corrections to future statements of cardmembers who had purchases in 2008, yet whose statement closes in 2009. Because of this, cardmembers may experience a delay in viewing their statements online (or getting them in the mail).

As far as the point levels, BoA and NCL had no plans to issue fractional certificates (only in 100 and 500 point increments), however, due to the amount of complaints and questions received about this, they are working something out with NCL to issues fractional certificates good for OBC (300 points=$300 certificate, etc). I wasnt given any more details past that, just because discussions are ongoing.

It sounds like they had the whole transition set up, but ran into a few problems and issues along the way. They are trying to work things out as quickly as possible, and unfortuanatley there are a lot of cardmembers who have the wrong information, as a result of CSR's who were given the wrong information, or dated and old information. BoA and NCL are aware of the issues, and do plan on doing everything possible so that we're all happy. Except brining back the old program... :)

If you had a NCL card under the compass program you will automatically be enrolled/switched over to the world points program. The card number will stay the same, however NCL is planning on mailing out the new yellow/gold cards as replacements. Card terms, credit lines, due date, card number, etc will all be the same - only difference is the 1/2% rather than the old 3/4%.

BoA's initial plans were for each card member to stop earning points as of their December closing date. This became an issue when, according to their terms, they need to give 90 day notice when the program ends. They changed plans to give points to all purchases through the end of the year, regardless of when your december close date was.

Statements going out early this month went out incorrectly reflecting earned points for this cycle. Rather than have the points broken down (one number for 2008 purchases and one number for 2009 purchases) the only points earned reflected at the 1/2% earning rate. People started complaining, they looked into it and are in the process of making corrections to future statements of cardmembers who had purchases in 2008, yet whose statement closes in 2009. Because of this, cardmembers may experience a delay in viewing their statements online (or getting them in the mail).

As far as the point levels, BoA and NCL had no plans to issue fractional certificates (only in 100 and 500 point increments), however, due to the amount of complaints and questions received about this, they are working something out with NCL to issues fractional certificates good for OBC (300 points=$300 certificate, etc). I wasnt given any more details past that, just because discussions are ongoing.

It sounds like they had the whole transition set up, but ran into a few problems and issues along the way. They are trying to work things out as quickly as possible, and unfortuanatley there are a lot of cardmembers who have the wrong information, as a result of CSR's who were given the wrong information, or dated and old information. BoA and NCL are aware of the issues, and do plan on doing everything possible so that we're all happy. Except brining back the old program... :)

Thanks for the update. Now, tell us, how did you get this inside information??? :)

Great info! Thanks! Who is your source? Hopefully this will all be sorted out soon.

Great info! Thanks! Who is your source? Hopefully this will all be sorted out soon.

I spoke with somone from BoA on the phone. I was busy writing everything down, but now that I'm reviewing all my notes, it seems I forgot to write down their name :( They did seem to know what they were talking about so I have no reason to doubt what they said. They are trying hard to resolve a lot of issues that have come up and are trying to make everyone happy. If you do have any problems, keep brining them up the chain of command and they will get resolved. Just might take a little bit.

I spoke with somone from BoA on the phone. I was busy writing everything down, but now that I'm reviewing all my notes, it seems I forgot to write down their name :( They did seem to know what they were talking about so I have no reason to doubt what they said. They are trying hard to resolve a lot of issues that have come up and are trying to make everyone happy. If you do have any problems, keep brining them up the chain of command and they will get resolved. Just might take a little bit.

Thanks again!! Our closing date is in a week, so I will see what happens,

I will be receiving this card within the next week. I know you get extra points on groceries(don't remember how many) but...is Super Target or Super Walmart considered grocery points since that is where I typically purchase my groceries?

Oh and BTW, my account closed yesterday and this morning I checked out my statement. It shows zero points. I should have 502 for 2008 and I spent $40 that posted in Jan so should have something.

I just have converted my Delta Amex (with annual fee) and Citibank card which I haven't used in a long time to Hilton Honors. Amex HH (no annual fee) pays 5pts for Hilton stays, gas, drugstores, restaurants, US postal service, wireless phone, grocers (not sure if Target and Walmart Superstore apply they may need to be standalone grocers you will have to check. 3 pts for everything else.

The Citibank HH pays 6pts for Hilton stays, 3pts grocers, gas, drugstores and 2 pts or everything else. Also between January and Early April they will double points with their HH hotel card. These points can add up fast. So you can have a HH membership card + both credit cards.

I have also just recently received the American Express Blue Cash Card and once you reach $6,500 which I have, you get 5% on gas, grocers, and drugstores. 1.5% on everything else. But not everyplace takes Amex it is more expensive for the store.

I also have the Discover Cashback Bonus which I use for only their monthly cash backs with no minimums. Oct - Dec was restaurants charge a maximum of $400 and get $20.00 bonus back. January - March is travel -charge up to a maximum of $800 and get $40.00 back etc.

I converted a Chase card I wasn't using to the Chase Freedom Plus Card which has 15 categories and they pay you 3% on the top 6 categories and I use this for my monthly expenses with cable, satelite, telecommunications, utilities, beauty salon and there are many more categories. They waive the first year $30.00 annual fee.

So with all these cards I had in my safe and not using I called the credit card companies and they have converted them for me. It looks as though I should get back yearly enough for a cruise for at least 1 if not more. So I guess I am not so disappointed anymore with the changes the NCL card made to the WorldPoints card. I am also waiting for my $2,500 certificates.

I wish you all good luck on finding as good a card as the NCL Card we all had and enjoyed so very much.

I just have converted my Delta Amex (with annual fee) and Citibank card which I haven't used in a long time to Hilton Honors. Amex HH (no annual fee) pays 5pts for Hilton stays, gas, drugstores, restaurants, US postal service, wireless phone, grocers (not sure if Target and Walmart Superstore apply they may need to be standalone grocers you will have to check. 3 pts for everything else.

The Citibank HH pays 6pts for Hilton stays, 3pts grocers, gas, drugstores and 2 pts or everything else. Also between January and Early April they will double points with their HH hotel card. These points can add up fast. So you can have a HH membership card + both credit cards.

I have also just recently received the American Express Blue Cash Card and once you reach $6,500 which I have, you get 5% on gas, grocers, and drugstores. 1.5% on everything else. But not everyplace takes Amex it is more expensive for the store.

I also have the Discover Cashback Bonus which I use for only their monthly cash backs with no minimums. Oct - Dec was restaurants charge a maximum of $400 and get $20.00 bonus back. January - March is travel -charge up to a maximum of $800 and get $40.00 back etc.

I converted a Chase card I wasn't using to the Chase Freedom Plus Card which has 15 categories and they pay you 3% on the top 6 categories and I use this for my monthly expenses with cable, satelite, telecommunications, utilities, beauty salon and there are many more categories. They waive the first year $30.00 annual fee.

So with all these cards I had in my safe and not using I called the credit card companies and they have converted them for me. It looks as though I should get back yearly enough for a cruise for at least 1 if not more. So I guess I am not so disappointed anymore with the changes the NCL card made to the WorldPoints card. I am also waiting for my $2,500 certificates.

I wish you all good luck on finding as good a card as the NCL Card we all had and enjoyed so very much.

I find your post VERY interesting. I really want to stick with one maybe 2 cards at the most and I need to switch soon. I hate paying for things now since 12/31 when I know I'm not getting many points at all.

I think I want to get the AMEX HH sounds fairly good. I have a Delta Skymiles card currently. Do I just call and switch it?

Is there a good website to search the different options? I'm just a little over welmed with it all, as you can tell.

Thanks so much for sharing all your info, it was very helpful.

I find your post VERY interesting. I really want to stick with one maybe 2 cards at the most and I need to switch soon. I hate paying for things now since 12/31 when I know I'm not getting many points at all.

I think I want to get the AMEX HH sounds fairly good. I have a Delta Skymiles card currently. Do I just call and switch it?

Is there a good website to search the different options? I'm just a little over welmed with it all, as you can tell.

Thanks so much for sharing all your info, it was very helpful.

If you are interested in converting your Delta card call Amex and talk with them or any other company. I think they have to be similar cards such as earning some type of reward/cash points as opposed to a card that doesn't. But before you do please check out another website called askmrcreditcard.com and then make your decisions. It took me a long time to finally decide. The only new card I applied for was the Amex Blue Cash. The others were converted except for Discover which I had used very little many years ago.

But don't forget for anyone out there if you have credit cards in your safe and haven't used them make sure you do twice a year or the credit card companies can and are lowering or deleting credit limits and closing out cards. So if you have an NCL card and your keeping it make sure to use it minimally or they can close out that credit limit and it is not good for your Credit Report these days. Also what I have been hearing on the TV show On The Money is for us the consumer Not to close out credit cards with good credit limits. This also is not good on your credit report. Do a search online for credit card reviews and you'll come up with quite a few ideas. Good luck to you and everyone. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

We shop at BJ's but they called themselves a warehouse club, so only 2 HH points. Shop at Giant Eagle & get 3 points per $1 on HH Visa Signature. Super Target, Super KMart, etc are merchandisers not grocers. And staying at Hilton Properties & a long time HH member gets us 10 points per $1 for stays or even dinner there.

Thabks for all the tips. I will check out those sites you both listed. I do have one quick question in the mean time.

The AMEX HH card with the 5-3 points, what can these points be used for? Is it a cash back or for HH.?

Thanks

Just a headsup for you. As of January 1, 2009 the Hhonors AMEX changed the bonues (some positive, and some major negative).

You will receive three additional Hilton HHonors bonus points (for a total of six Hilton HHonors bonus points) for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending at the following categories of merchants, excluding warehouse clubs and superstores: supermarkets; drug stores; stand-alone gas stations; and home telephone, wireless, cable, satellite TV, and Internet service providers.

You will receive three additional Hilton HHonors bonus points (for a total of six Hilton HHonors bonus points) for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending on the Card at any Hilton Family hotel worldwide (excluding Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare purchases and package sales)

While they increased the bonuses to 3 points instead of 2 (a total of 6 instead of 5), they took away a couple categories, including a HUGE one in RESTAURANTS. The USPS is the other category taken away.

The loss of restaurants is a huge blow, and IMO the extra bonus point in the other categories doesn't nearly make up for it. Keep this in mind when deciding which card to use.

Also, warehouse clubs and superstores (i.e. Target, Walmart, etc) are explicitly excluded.

I still think it's a very good card, but for restaurant purchases, I'll likely use another card.

Edited by Preds