If you received a free upgrade

In Feb. 06 we booked a cat F window on the Splendour. I had all the booking confirmation pages stating so, and i printed our setsail pass with our cabin number and catagory on it. A few days later I was looking online and noticed that my reservation had a D1 balcony assigned. I printed out a new setsail pass before they changed their minds! We just disregerded the luggage tags sent to us and wrote our new cabin number on the blank ones available at the pier.

You do have a better chance of a "free" upgrade by booking a guarantee, rather than a specific cabin. You can find out anytime in advance up to trying your key in the old cabin, and having it not work! Good luck! They are rare!

We were never notified, not even when we checked in. We went to our original room on AOS and the key didn't work in the door. The steward told us we weren't in the right room and to go to customer service. They gave us a new room number, but didn't tell us it was an upgrade. We thought it was a lateral D1 change from one floor to another. Imagine our suprise when we tried the key in the new door and it opened into a GS.

We were never notified, not even when we checked in. We went to our original room on AOS and the key didn't work in the door. The steward told us we weren't in the right room and to go to customer service. They gave us a new room number, but didn't tell us it was an upgrade. We thought it was a lateral D1 change from one floor to another. Imagine our suprise when we tried the key in the new door and it opened into a GS.

What a fabulous surprise!

I received an e-mail from RCCL (booked directly) saying "attached is the info you requested". I hadn't requested a thing and opened it to find a reservation recap w/everything the same except the room number. We had an OS! Jumping up and down, I told dh immediately, but not the kids. What a great surprise for them.

The e-mail came less than 2 weeks out from the cruise.

Thank you upgrade fairy!

I'd told DW I was booking a JS, the first stateroom we would have ever had above a balcony, but then I booked a GS (this was on Radiance for 1/06) to surprise her. DS, then 9, knew nothing of the cruise at all. Then a month or two before the cruise TA calls me to tell me we've been upgraded to an OS. So DS and DW both enjoyed their surprises.

No, it has not been a case of "you'll never go back" since that first suite. Have bounced between oceanview, balcony, and JS since then.

I am currently booked in a GTY. cabin. IF and I understand it is a big IF, but IF I were to get or be offered an upgrade, is there a fee for that? Do you have to pay the balance between the lesser and better??? From things I've read the answer I am assuming is no but how can that be? How can they make money by giving you an upgrade and not having to pay for it??

I am sorry, I am sure I sound like a dope, but this just really befuddles me?? Thanks for you paitence and answers!!:o

I am currently booked in a GTY. cabin. IF and I understand it is a big IF, but IF I were to get or be offered an upgrade, is there a fee for that? Do you have to pay the balance between the lesser and better??? From things I've read the answer I am assuming is no but how can that be? How can they make money by giving you an upgrade and not having to pay for it??

I am sorry, I am sure I sound like a dope, but this just really befuddles me?? Thanks for you paitence and answers!!:o

We booked a guarantee cabin on Mariner and after paying for the cabin we're assigned an Grand Suite. You don't pay extra that's the chance you take for booking a guarantee cabin you take what they give you. :rolleyes:

d

My question is if you book the Guarantee, how often are you disappointed? I am worried if I book the Guarantee, I will end up way in front or back or even on the lowest level possible. Does this happen alot or do you usually get better than what you thought you might get? We like balconies in the middle of the ship and at least up above Deck 6. would hate to land on Deck 3 front or back. What has been your experiences with the Guaranteed rooms? Thanks

My question is if you book the Guarantee, how often are you disappointed? I am worried if I book the Guarantee, I will end up way in front or back or even on the lowest level possible. Does this happen alot or do you usually get better than what you thought you might get? We like balconies in the middle of the ship and at least up above Deck 6. would hate to land on Deck 3 front or back. What has been your experiences with the Guaranteed rooms? Thanks

If you've booked a guaranteed balcony than you will get a balcony, not an inside cabin or a cabin with a porthole on a lower deck. However, you could get a cabin with a balcony in forward or aft of the ship. We've only ever booked one guaranteed cabin and were more than surprised when the Jr. Suite that we thought we'd get turned out to be a Grand Suite.

d

If you've booked a guaranteed balcony than you will get a balcony, not an inside cabin or a cabin with a porthole on a lower deck. However, you could get a cabin with a balcony in forward or aft of the ship. We've only ever booked one guaranteed cabin and were more than surprised when the Jr. Suite that we thought we'd get turned out to be a Grand Suite. d

Karena1: We were on the same cruise as frudutx and the same thing happened to us...It was the luck of the draw!

Actually, we just booked a guarantee for 9/14 Alaska and were upgraded to an E1...If you are not happy with the cabin location as long as there are cabins in the same category you can be moved...My TA has done this for us...Later, Jill:cool:

Thanks so much for replying to my question. This helps me understand a little more. I pray that we get visited by the upgrade fairy for our next cruise;) and I will book a guaranteed cabin next time around. Thanks again!

We've only received on visit - some years ago on HAL - our first (and last) time sailing with them. We had booked an oceanview to Alaska. They had check-in at the precruise hotel the morning of the cruise prior to a city tour. When I checked in, they gave me a cabin number that was different from the one given to me by our TA. I argued a bit that it was incorrect, but took the card and left. When we got to the room, it was our first balcony! Of course, we never looked back . . . .

Alas, everything from JS on up on our 8/31 Explorer cruise is totally booked, so no upgrades expected this time.

Archived