What Makes Aft Cabins So Desirable?

Ugly Betty Fan

Newbie here, I was under the impression that aft cabin (along with very forward cabins) gave the roughest ride on cruise ships. Can someone either correct me and/or tell me why Aft cabins seem to be in such high demand - what makes them desirable?

Thanks, I'm just being nosey :rolleyes:

the aft cabins is we love looking at the wake ;-)) We also like to look right down into the water rather than into other balconies. Some of the aft balconies are huge....but not always a big plus.

We had E732 on the Diamond and the balcony was very deep so the cabin didn't get much sun. We realized we didn't need one that big, so this time we booked a different aft cabin for 2009!!!!!!

You are also at the end of a hallway and don't get any traffic past your cabin. We do spend a lot of time on the balcony so it is worth it to us to have a covered balcony with more privacy. I am a photographer and it is nice to jump out of bed to shoot a fabulous sunrise without worrying about your attire.

We didn't notice a rough ride at all on the Diamond. Oh, the other BIG plus is no wind!!!

Cheers, Denise

Ah! I see :D Do you find the ride rougher back there? I'm ready to book Grand Princess this weekend for December 2008 and my travel agent asked if we might like AFT cabins, so, that's why I'm asking. None of us going usually have motion sickness trouble, so, I'm thinking maybe we should try it.

We don't find the afts "rough" but sometimes you can feel the stabilizers. Since no one get sea sick, I would definately book it, just make sure it is definitely across the stern. So cabins toward the back are called aftsjust because they are in that vincinity.

We had an aft on Diamond, too. It may even have been D732, I don't remember. As far as we were concerned, the best part of the whole thing was that we could run out a get a cup of coffee really fast because we were at the end of the hall. (We don't do room service; too impatient, I guess.) It was not rough at all.

Ohiodoglover

Now that is a great photo! How's the noise factor, isn't this where the engine and propellers are located?

You may feel some vibration but will not hear the engine. You may hear the water churning at times but nothing annoying.

We are AFT, right across the back AFT, in November on the Emerald, does anyone know if the balcony feels cold there. I mean is it in the shade a lot.

Also what is the view like from left to right any nasty beams.

Thanks

Christine

We were on the NCL Sun last Christmas and had my first Aft cabin, It

was great and would do it again in a heartbeat, What I liked best was

there was never lots of wind when the ship was in motion like on the side

balconies, there is a little more roll though, but hey I'm on a Ship!!

The 180 Deg view is also one of my favorites

Were booked on the Crown for Feb but couldn't get an aft, but that will always be my first choice

Cheers

Gerry

We are AFT, right across the back AFT, in November on the Emerald, does anyone know if the balcony feels cold there. I mean is it in the shade a lot.

Also what is the view like from left to right any nasty beams.

Thanks

Christine

It depends on your cabin - what deck are you on??

We had an aft balcony on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago. The view was magnificent...perfect for sailaways. However, the seas were very rough on our trip and we certainly felt more up and down motion than we would have mid-ship. We also experienced lots of virbration noise, even when the seas had calmed down. Still, you can't beat the view :)

Aft cabins - that is cabins that actually face aft, as opposed to cabins on the side of the ship that are on the aft end of the ship - are enjoyable for the privacy and the view as others have mentioned. You will get a little more up and down motion if the ship is pitching. You will also hear some rumbling from the prop wash, but this again is quite relaxing.

I find the weather conditions to be much more pleasant as well, especially when under way. You are out of the relative wind, and so it is warmer in colder weather, but still breezy enough to be pleasant in warm weather.

As you can tell, I am an aft cabin fan. In fact we just booked an aft cabin for a 15 day Hawaii RT on the Diamond Princess.

Friend of Eyore - we are on Emerald Deck. Can each deck be slightly different.

Yes, each deck is different. I can't give you info on Emerald deck. I know Baja deck is the one with the really nasty beams.

I don't know about sun/cover on the Emerald deck. Maybe someone else can enlighten you - sorry.

Hello my DH and I are in cabin E732 on the Diamond 9/8...Will update you when we return back...First time to Alaska so we hope for the best..:D

in November. It has a huge balcony that is very deep. You could have a great get together there!! We loved the location, the sound of the wake and the privacy.

It can't be beat for Alaska!!!! We passed a pod of whales coming back from Mexico and we could see them forever, it was fabulous.

Enjoy....pictures in my gallery of the balcony, just click below.

Cheers, Denise

Archived