St Petersburg

mingojr

How safe is St Petersburg, to do on your own. I wanted to catch Metro and join Peters Walking Tours, on last free day oF cruise. I have been to St Peterburg once before. so I don't want to take optional tour to Peterhof offered on last day of cruise. I have read of dangers of being mugged.

Mingo

I wouldn't worry about being mugged. Pick-pocketed, yes, but not mugged.

Just keep your valuables (cash, credit cards) in a safe place (money belt under clothes, etc..). You should be fine.

Last year we did a couple of days of St. Petersburg on our own. We got the cruise director to get us a cab, negotiate the price and gave her a list of what we wanted to see and she told the driver. It was great. We felt perfectly safe

Just back from Russia spending 4 full days at a hotel in St.Pete's as Coral says pick pockets abound in the toursit areas...

On her cruise several lost cameras and money and because of her prior posts I kept my eyes open.

In our group 1 woman's wallet was lifted at Peterhofs and a couple had their passports stolen at the church on spilled blood. Also at the church 2 women were separated by four men, the larger women pushed one of the men away and screamed..then the men ran. These incidents happended at the church when the people were on their own. But even when we were in our group getting on the bus gypsy children approached and were putting their hands into men's pockets, my husband was surrounded and I witnessed hands going into his pockets It really surprised me how brazen they were.

Understand too the police do not take reports for missing/stolen items.

Now back to the passports.... I spoke to the couple who had theirs lifted.

The man( in his 50's) had them in a buttoned front pocket of his cargo pants(we were boarding our ship that day so he could not leave them at the hotel) He had no idea they had been lifted until someone identifying themselves as a police officer(he was in plain clothes) approached and said he had seen 2 children take his passports and for $200. he could get them back if the man followed him ...the man was concerned he might be beaten and robbed, so told the guy forget it and pulled out his camera and started taking photos, the guy ran.........later at the US Embassy he was told he should have just paid the money as all "cops" are on the take...and he would not have been hurt.

I felt safe in St. Petes but my DH is also 6'3" and well built and 50 years old.....I didn't even think about this until someone mentioned it on my tour....still I only carried a strapped 3 by 4" purse that I tucked in my pants or worn it under a jacket. When it was exposed I always held my hand on it.

I would not be worried about being mugged(hurt)...just be aware of who is next to you...I also spoke to the women(60's) who lost her wallet she had her purse over her shoulder, it was zipped with a button flap....she looked down and found the flap to be opened her purse was still zipped, but when she open it her wallet was gone......these people are professionals........Be alert!

Many men on our tour wore their shirts out......most carried very little money...

We only rode the metro in Moscow...much more comfort zone in that city less tourists...but still most locals always held their hands around her purses.

You should do fine on your own if you stay alert......

Enjoy,

:) I say always play it safe when traveling!

This Sept. I will go to Russia (St. Petersburg to Moscow) on a Viking River Cruise. This will be my third trip there & I feel safer in a large tour group even if my husband is with me. We have to remember that while we try to always be aware of what & who is around us, as tourist we want to see & learn about our surrounding & cultures. I don't know about you, but it is hard to enjoy a my vacation when I am worried about being robbed. I rather play it safer & enjoy the adventure with an experienced guide.

It is sad that we have to worry about such things,but that is just the nature of our world today!

Happy & Safe Travels,

Beckaj

I personally felt safer on my own verses when in a group. I thought the group brought attention to everyone as a tourist verses on our own... I could be wrong but that was my gut feeling.

Hello...

Contrary to some of the previous posts, my husband and I were in St. Petersburg for 9 days last year, spent some of our time with a guide, but at least three days and nights on our own touring and wandering the streets. We DID stick to main streets.

We never had a problem with muggers, pick-pockets or felt unsafe at any time. I thought it was one of the most interesting cities I've ever visited and I would just take ordinary precautions with money, passport, etc.

Enjoy your travels!

murphysmum;)

Archived