Montenegro and Croatia

xcamtv

On our cruise in August...what can you tell us??

Not much until I disembark on the 11th. However, I think that Matt's posts of a similar itinerary are under the Legend Roll Call for the Adriatic. As someone else recommended a bit ago, there are port reviews under another CC BB. What do you want to know?

What can we tell you? Mainly that you have chosen one of the best cruising destinations in the Mediterranean. The water is crystal clear, the weather is good and the towns and villages are mostly trapped in a time warp of some thirty years ago. I'm not sure where you are stopping but there are just a few towns that have caught onto the tourist boom and are a bit more expensive than some others. Hvar town is one of them and, though it is lovely, it's worth getting to one of the neighbouring towns on the island - Vrboska and Jelsa - to avoid the vultures and the tourists and see the real Croatia. Dubrovnik is similarly developed but also unmissable though nearby Cavtat is a gem. Split may seem a bit tatty on the outskirts but the old town centre and the Diocletian Palace is a real treat. Perhaps have a look at my website******************* and search on the destinations you are stopping off at to get the inside information.

Montenegro I know less well but it's as good as Croatia and up till now, even less "discovered".

Have a great trip!

I was in Rovinj on my May Pride cruise, as well as Split. Rovinj is a picture perfect town with a wonderful church on a hilltop overlooking the harbor. You can stroll wide promenades with cafes and restaurants right on the pier. You will see a lot of Venetian influence in the architecture because of its proximity and history. Be sure and get out into the countryside though because there is magnificent scenery and wonderful small towns. We did a truffle hunting tour (if Seabourn still offers this be aware that this is not truffle season and the only truffles you will find are in the stores) which was terrific because we had the chance to see so much of the island plus have a great lunch on a terrace with all the courses containing truffle.

Split is interesting mainly for Diocletian's Palace which is the social hub of the town, it is very well preserved and filled with restaurants, shops, markets etc. You can walk there easily from where the ship docks and stroll to your heart's content. However the architecture is the main attraction and worth exploring leisurely. Enjoy!

Just sailed this itinerary on the Silver Whisper and we sailed with the Spirit (which I was kicking myself for not being on). Hvar is a suprise, very nice, get off the ship and head to one of the many resorts and cafes. Dubrovnik is amazing, as a town still in the middle ages, really well preserved. The weather was VERY hot, but I sitll walked the wall of the city for some great views. Kotor in Montenegro, is not as impressive, but the sail in and out through the Fjords is amazing and not to be missed!

xcamtv,

just returned from the July Spirit Athens-Venice cruise to those ports. I can strongly recommend the ship excursions to "Kotor and Budva" and "Split and Trogir." In both cases you compare two very different styles of city within the same country. Budva and Trogir are lovely and very interesting seaside towns, while Kotor and Split are larger, historical sites. I concur with Avalon's recommendation - get up early and enjoy the sail through the fjords into Kotor. It is spectacular. Great pictures!

Rovinj is lovely. We took the tour to Pula to see the Roman ruins. When we returned to Rovinj, we stayed in town for lunch (by the new port within walking distance to the port where the tender lands) and then walked around the town for a little bit. Don't miss the Rovinj experience in the evening. Local groups entertain on a gorgeous terrace at sunset.

We stayed on for the Venice to Rome cruise. If you are interested, I can comment on those excursions too. It was a great cruise. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I've looked at some of pix of Kotor, Split and Rovinj and see great photo ops. someone said get up early and see the fjords and vist Kotor town before the tour buses show up..you will have the town to yourself. We have rented a house in Venice for 2 weeks and will have our Kids and grandkids meet us. We begin our cruise this next week with a 4 day Seabourn pre trip in Istanbul..Jim

xcamtv -

get up to see the fjord, but take the tour to Budva and Kotor - talk about photo ops in Budva! Budva is more picturesque than Kotor. Kotor is not that crowded, don't worry about it and the tour is really good. You can stay at Kotor for more pictures after the tour is over.

Matt - we were on that tour to Pula. The guide was probably one of the best we had in two weeks. Sorry I didn't meet you before.

Hi Marazul

Thanks for the report, did you do any trips in Monopoli? if so which one and was it any good?

I would love to hear what tours you did Venice to Rome I am doing the same 2 weeks 18th August

thanks

deb

Hi deb,

The reason for the stop in Monopoli is to go to Alberobello. Monopoli is totally undistinguished. Bari, Lecce and Ostuni are not prime attractions. People who went on those excursions were disappointed. So Alberobello is it. It looks like it came straight out of a fairy tale.

In Corfu we went to the Achilleon and Corfu town. Then we hired a cab to go to Paleokastritsa. He took us to the viewpoint over the town and then left us at the beach where we took a little boat ride around the harbor and the sea caves. Really pleasant. We were gone for two hours and it cost about 90 euros. I don't know his contact number. We just flagged a cab when we returned to the port. Just negotiate.

In Venice, we just went to town to revisit many places, lunch, etc.

In Hvar, we took the "walking tour and concert" It was interesting, but you could do it on your own, have lunch, and walk around. Didn't hear much about the other tour down the island, but it was no great shakes.

In Dubrovnik we did take the "Cavtav riviera and Dubrovnik" tour. Cavtav is cute but not worth going to. The boat ride back into Dubrovnik was very pleasant, but it put us back in the city in the heat of day and it was HOT! I would advise you to skip the tours and go into Dubrovnik on your own (the ship anchors by the old harbour, you'll be glad you picked Seabourn!) First thing, walk the city walls, then go visit all the sites by yourself. (Get a small guide book to Croatia before you leave. I got the Thomas Cook "Travellers Croatia")

In Catania, we went to "Taormina and Mount Etna"and enjoyed it. We had been to Taormina years ago and we enjoyed going back. If that does not appeal to you, go to Syracuse. Catania itself is big and dirty although it does have some interesting churches, etc, but they are far from the dock.

In Lipari, we took the island tour and pizza making. Good fun!

In Sorrento we hired our own driver and went sightseeing on our own. If you don't want to take a tour, take the hydrofoil from the port and go to Capri. You'll get there before the tours arrive and have a good time.

We had a great time. You'll enjoy it.

I will agree, Monopoli was a disappointment. I don't think the city rarely, if ever gets cruise ships. You'd think that would be a good thing, but it actually makes you feel like you're not wanted. We did however go on a nice walking tour through some lovely streets, stopped in a church where they were preparing for a wedding and had a complimentary drink at a cafe.

Hi Marazul

thanks for the info, especially about Monopoli (and Matt)

I am not a great one for tours so your info certainly helped I much prefer to do my own thing but it is nice to know if there are some good tours, I always seem to get the tour guide that says a 1000 words when one would do!

thanks again

deb

Hi Deb,

you'll enjoy the Alberobello tour. The guide was very good and to the point. Don't miss it. It's unique.

By the way, people were really disappointed with the guides on some of the other trips out of Monopoli - boring, wrong info, etc.

M

Archived