Do You Still Use a Film Camera?

Do You Still Use a Film Camera  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Still Use a Film Camera

• Yes
    • No

I prefer to use a digital camera, because after checking the last still image, I can decide whether or not to take a better photograph (and delete the first one). With a film camera, you don't know how the pictures will turn out until after the film has been developed.

Donald.

I have a Contax G2 with four prime lenses which would knock spots off ANY digital camera, with the possible exception of the Leica M8 (and only because the lenses are of the same quality)

Other than Leica, there isn't a 35 mm camera made to touch it - and it is still made of metal, and is a work of art in itself.

Wondering about getting a digital for snaps, but love the Contax so much...

Matthew

I use both. I hate the problems with film in some airports - never knowing which speed of film needs to be hand checked. Always worried my film was ruined somehow.

But digital is so convenient. Yet not very good for night shots, so the film camera is best. I'm sure I will eventually phase out the film and go exclusively with digital.

I agree, there should have been a third choice of Use Both.

I recently developed 40 rolls of 400 speed 35mm film after our trip to Europe. I am in the process of having 200 photos printed out of more than 800 digital shots. I need to learn how to edit the photos after they are down loaded to the PC.

As mentioned, night shots are difficult as are shots within dark cathedrals. Those same shots are almost impossible with a flash film camera.

Now to start my Scrapbook.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

But digital is so convenient. Yet not very good for night shots, so the film camera is best.

Just curious...what kind of night shots are you doing that preclude the use of digital?

Dave

Just curious...what kind of night shots are you doing that preclude the use of digital?

I am also curious. I find night shots to be much easier with digital. Changing the ISO rating on a digital is a lot easier than changing film or carrying two cameras.

As mentioned, night shots are difficult as are shots within dark cathedrals.

Again, I find the flexibilty of digital far exceeds that of film cameras when faced with difficult shots.

I would never go back to film, too expensive and inflexible.

.... digital is so convenient. Yet not very good for night shots,
I find that today's(2006/07) digital cameras

have amazing light-gathering abilities at night,

and at low ambient light levels!

- far beyond what I remember film could do,

but then I haven't used film in ten long years.

I find that today's(2006/07) digital cameras

have amazing light-gathering abilities at night,

and at low ambient light levels!

- far beyond what I remember film could do,

but then I haven't used film in ten long years.

I have found the same to be true. That's why my curiosity about bowlcoach's post.

I've only run into issues with really long exposures (5 -10 min +) and picked up a film SLR to try my luck with star trails later this summer. The rest of my photography is, and will remain, digital. My little Canon SD800 is smaller than any film Elph could ever be and is with me all the time. My Maxxum 7D produces great results and with an 8GB card loaded, gives me an 1100 exposure roll of ISO 100-3200 color or B&W film. Never could find one of those for a 35mm SLR and wouldn't want to carry the camera that could use it....;)

Dave

:D I always used one time use cameras but just this year I started to use a 35mm that my company gave me in 1978 when they downsized.. so far all 5 rolls of film i`ve taken has come out very good..so I think i`ll stick with it , besides if I buy a digital i`ll have less money to spend on my cruise...;) ;)

Speaking from a strictly amateur point of view, I have a brand new point and shoot by Kodak. It's the Z1275. 12 megapixels with 5x Optical and 5x digital zoom. I am a scrapbooker and almost every photo will be cropped or zoomed before printing. It's a GREAT camera with a panoramic stitching mode than even a novice can operate. I can't wait to use it on my cruise in 8, yes I said 8 weeks. Liberty OTS here I come. "Say hello to my little friend" yeah, it's tiny. Oh yeah, best of all I got it for $249 plus shipping.

Digital all the way.

Have not used 35mm. film cameras in years and will never go back.

My DSLR camera system can produce 24x36 enlargements with no noise.

I can change my ISO on the fly. With film, you needed 2 or 3 cameras to do that on the fly.

Digital is now and is the way of the future, 35mm. film is dead.

Schools and Colleges are dropping 35mm and going to digital in our area.

As mentioned, night shots are difficult as are shots within dark cathedrals.

I found the best way to get a good shot (if you do not have a tripod) is to prop the camera on a shelf, ledge or pew........set the self timer to take the photo.......and set it off. Here is an example. This and the two above were shot with a Sony Cybershot camera at 3 mega pixels.

2274920170096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

I use both--but if I intend to have the pictures printed, I always use film.

Me too. I still use film and don't think I'll ever give it up. I print out the film pictures..And anyway I'm still new to digital I've only had my Nikon D80 for 3 months. But I do plan on taking both my cameras on my cruise next week.

]I can't wait!!!!!!:D :D :D

I have both, but I still favor my film camera.

I did buy a new Kodak 875 because it has a zoom feature that was lacking in my first digital.

The only thing I like better about the digital, is that I can print the photos as soon as I take them.

I'm going to be brave and only take the digital on my cruisetour to Alaska on the 18th of August. We'll see what kind of photos I get.

I have both, but I still favor my film camera.

I did buy a new Kodak 875 because it has a zoom feature that was lacking in my first digital.

The only thing I like better about the digital, is that I can print the photos as soon as I take them.

I'm going to be brave and only take the digital on my cruisetour to Alaska on the 18th of August. We'll see what kind of photos I get.

....another advantage is that with Photo Shop (or similar software) you can correct and enhance your photos. You can also crop them......can't do that with film.....;)

Here is the Royal Princess......see the yellow cranes in the first photo...they are gone in the second cropped photo shoped photo....:)

....and the second photo is cropped to fit exactly on my wide screen, screen saver, slideshow photos.

DSC00617.JPG.6fb7798e57a65f7143435f2430fa61bb.JPG

DSC00617T.jpg.ebb19808da8594b8ae5c673d2ccd55d6.jpg

....another advantage is that with Photo Shop (or similar software) you can correct and enhance your photos. You can also crop them......can't do that with film.....;)

Sorry to say this but yes you can do that with film. Some labs can scan your film and make it a digital file or you can go buy a film scanner and do it yourself. Then you can play with it in a photo editing program.

Sorry to say this but yes you can do that with film. Some labs can scan your film and make it a digital file or you can go buy a film scanner and do it yourself. Then you can play with it in a photo editing program.

True........and I have scanned my travel and family shots taken before digital. I have noticed that I got better results working with the digital files over the scanned files.

......and when you are taking digital you can see the photos as you take them.......and not lose shots because the film was not advancing. That happened to me after shooting the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.......the counter kept going.....but the film didn't......and I lost all those shots.....:(

Archived