Things others do on a cruise that make you wonder why.

pamwinn

First let me say how much I enjoy your posts.

To your comment below I plead guilty guilty guilty. I don't GO on the cruise to get on a treadmill but to get a sustained heartrate for 20 minutes I would either have to run on the deck (not possible) or find a hill! But the interesting part is that the Gym is full on the first 2 days and then it is empty! I complained that a new ship such as the Island Princess does not even have a restroom easily accessible from the Gym. I agree that the Gym is a great source for spreading Virus. /Sultan

why do people go on a cruise to exercise on a treadmill in full view of a walking deck with fresh sea air and no line or time limit or sweat from the pervious user all over the controls. Why not walk on the DECK?

I can help you with the heart rate... drag my buffet expanded butt behind you on a wagon on that nice deck, win-win, you get your target rate, I get a nice ride and we both get fresh air. :D

First let me say how much I enjoy your posts.

To your comment below I plead guilty guilty guilty. I don't GO on the cruise to get on a treadmill but to get a sustained heartrate for 20 minutes I would either have to run on the deck (not possible) or find a hill! But the interesting part is that the Gym is full on the first 2 days and then it is empty! I complained that a new ship such as the Island Princess does not even have a restroom easily accessible from the Gym. I agree that the Gym is a great source for spreading Virus. /Sultan

There are a butt load of real steps on decks all over the ship, no stairmaster needed.

Deck walking can not provide the workout that a treadmill can (kind of hard to simulate a 10% grade on the Promenade deck unless the ship is doing a serious lean).

There are a butt load of real steps on decks all over the ship, no stairmaster needed.

This is true - you never really need exercise machines to exercise. When I was training for dragonboat two years ago, we never used the machines for running/steps - you can just run on a track and up/down stairs. Personally, I don't exercise during a cruise. I find that much more relaxing :)

Following Tantsee's line of reasoning, I'll never understand all the posts about bringing a bottle of wine or heaven-forbid, sneaking liquor onboard. People spend upwards of $3,000/couple plus airfare to stay in a balcony room for 10 days and then worry about $50 worth of booze. I couldn't possibly be bothered to lug that stuff. I feel the same way about buying duty-free liquor to take home. So I can save $18 on a bottle of Kahlua. So what. I have enough luggage to check and lug back to the car. Just isn't worth it to me.

We never spend that much and never get a balcony (waste of money). I don't sneak booze on board. I order from a bon voyage gift service and they deliver it to the ship. It turns out to be cheaper doing this and that means we cruise more often :D

Angie

How about people who want to discuss how much they paid for the cruise and what a good deal they got.

If someone wants to discuss cost with me, I assure you I will have received umpteen hundred dollars room credit, have been upgraded to the owners suite, been invited to a private party with the captain (including personal tour of the bridge and engine room) and paid pretty much the same as they had ... oh, but mine included flights from the UK.

Ken

Globaliser's rules of cruising, number 1: When you embark on the first day, you are allowed to use the lift/elevator to get to your cabin, because of your carry on luggage. When you disembark at the end of the cruise, you are allowed to use the lift to get to the gangway, because of your carry on luggage. In between, the lifts are out of bounds.

The last Caribbean cruise I was on, some friends were staying on for a second week. At the end of the first week, they said to each other, "Oh good, we can use the lifts next week, [Globaliser] won't be around to nag us!"

Seriously, though, there isn't really anywhere other than the treadmills or the bikes in the gym to get a sustained or measured CV workout. That same Caribbean cruise did have one fitness activity which consisted of walking down the longest staircase on the ship and back up again, and then repeating the exercise. That was fun, even if it did demonstrate that I'm still not very fit.

As for all the miserable people, there's a reason why every crew has a description of the nameless humourless herds who allow themselves to be corraled from one food service to the next all day. "Cattle" is the most descriptive.

I can help you with the heart rate... drag my buffet expanded butt behind you on a wagon on that nice deck, win-win, you get your target rate, I get a nice ride and we both get fresh air. :D

LOL, that's my kind of excursion!

All of the above are valid points. And I agree with most.

As for jewelry, I like to bring back a little something sparkly as a souvenier, a silver bracelet from Mexico for example, nothing very expensive, -- but would never buy really serious jewelry on a cruise, even if I ended up paying more for it at home. For one thing, it feels like we are wasting our time in a foreign port to walk the streets going in one shop after another. We want to see the sights, not the jewelry stores that are there for the tourists.

We enjoy sitting on our balcony when we have one, and on the deck near the aft and in or near shade when we weren't lucky enough to have a balcony. We sometimes get in the pool briefly, but it isn't a big draw. I have to admit the germ factor does cross my mind. And we don't use the pool in our backyard as much as we should to justify the upkeep.

All in all, cruising is a wonderful vacation and I am happy to let everyone do whatever makes them happy while on a cruise. I love to people-watch, and the quirks of others is what makes it fun.

This thread is extremely interesting. I've just read judgements about cruiser's actions that have never crossed my mind. Either I'm a dull-minded person or I've just never noticed other cruisers enough to even begin to question why they do something. No one here has yet to mention the so often bought up topics of "why do people bring cell phones, walkie-talkies, dress/don't for dinner" that seems to cause such a stir on the board, yet don't bother me.

We always buy jewelry when we travel...every time I close a clasp on a piece we bought or something shines around her neck or on her finger it reminds my of that fantastic trip and the romantic time we had. That's it!!!! That's why I haven't noticed this stuff...I'm too intoxicated by my wife to notice anyone around me.

But, I'm learning....next cruise I'm gonna' look for these behaviors. Second though may not because then my wife will feel neglected and come back complaining and blame you guys.

(I'm being playful here...no offense intended).

:D I can't figure out why people bring power strips, duct tape, over the door hanging thingys, fans and all that other "recommened" stuff.

I can't figure out why people push ahead in the buffet line-the food isn't going anywhere!:confused:

I can't understand why people would go to a third world port and complain that things aren't the way they are at home!!!:rolleyes:

.....Beachnative, me too. I kept re-raeding this thread and I do think it is a great one with a number of funny, informative posts (love the butt space calculations) I can not think of anything to add....except....things I would never do. I always take a couple of books but can not concentrate on the pages enough to read, I am afraid I am going to miss something. I too can't understand why people find little things to complain about. On this past cruise a man was at the pursers desk and yelling about the med center being closed for lunch hours as his "wife got stung by a bee"..."no, she isn't allergic BUT what if she was". I guess that's a good one for me...People who are on vacation and use the BUT WHAT IF? questions.

I understand the taking alcohol on board if they don't have your favorite brand, but I don't quite understand the massive amount of people willing to lug their two bottles off the ship to save a few bucks. Too much hassle, although I must admit, I'm not much of a drinker and don't know the amount they actually save, so it may be a good thing and I just don't know it!!

Having said that I am planning on buying a bottle or two of Cabo Wabo Tequila in Cabo as a gift for my brother, is it still the same two bottle limit on the Mexican Riveria that they have on the Caribbean cruises?:)

[quote name='coiran']How about people tht push and shove to get on the elevator to go DOWN one floor??[/QUOTE]

I can never understand why perfectly healthy people will wait 2-3 minutes for an elevator to go one floor when the steps are right behind them....

Why does everyone want to be the first one off the ship in port. It is always a mob scene. If you wait 30-45 minutes you can usually walk right off.

Why do people insist on telling me about the other cruises they were on that were so much better???

Why do sweet old ladies turn into NFL fullbacks when they get to the buffett line?????? I've taken more elbows at the buffet than I have playing hockey.:D

Scott

I'll take the opposing view-- what mystifies me is people who don't want to get off the ship in port. Even in ports I've been to multiple times, I always want to do something. For me cruising is not about the ship; I look at the ship as the mode of transport to get to multiple ports in a limited amount of time.
The desire to do tons of shopping also baffles me.

For some of us, sea days are boring except for our books. I much prefer ports with kayaking, hiking, snorkeling, diving, historic sites, eating local food, meeting local people, and exploring culture than being on the ship.

That is why cruises offer something for everyone. If we had to stay on the ship, I would never cruise.

[quote name='pamwinn']I used to know the stats on that volume of water to butts thing. I can't remember anymore but it was something along the lines of sharing your bath water with a hundred or so.

For food presentation, if you go on a galley tour, they have bulletin boards posted with pictures depicting exactly how the food is to be plated.[/QUOTE]
I've often sat by the windows on the Lido deck and watched the kiddies in the pool. All the urine and bacteria that's floating around in that water, then the kiddies running and getting an ice cream or whatever and touching the food dispensers, etc. I really think this is where the sickness on cruise ships come from.

I enjoy being on the ship, tasting the different foods that I wouldn't prepare at home. I don't have to make the bed, clean the bathroom, and have to be anywhere I don't want to be. That's why I cruise.

[quote name='ahracer']I can never understand why perfectly healthy people will wait 2-3 minutes for an elevator to go one floor when the steps are right behind them....

Why does everyone want to be the first one off the ship in port. It is always a mob scene. If you wait 30-45 minutes you can usually walk right off.

Why do people insist on telling me about the other cruises they were on that were so much better???

Why do sweet old ladies turn into NFL fullbacks when they get to the buffett line?????? I've taken more elbows at the buffet than I have playing hockey.:D

Scott[/QUOTE]
[color=black][b]I have thrown a few elbows in return by "accident". "Ah, look at all that kippered herring in your hair, guess it was worth being so rude and pushy afterall, do you have a cat at home?"[/b][/color]

I don't understand how people can treat the staff on cruise ships so horribly. If I left my room at home (even now) looking like the mess I have seen some cabin stewards have to face (you know, walking down the hall you glance into the room with the open door... you know you do it) - I would be ashamed! Just because there is someone there to straighten up for you, does that make it okay to throw your clothes on the floor, leave the bathroom a disaster area, leave dirty dishes all over the cabin and balcony? I think not!

And the way I have heard people speaking to those working in the dining rooms and buffets! My mother would turn over in her grave! And I'd slap my own away from the table if I ever heard them address another person in that "tone". Yes, they are there to serve, and English is often not their first language, but COME ON people! Keep a civil tongue in your mouth!

Hopping off my soapbox now! :o

TinaLee

Things I don't understand:
1. Why are bathrobes so important? I have them removed for more room.
2. Why on earth are people so intent bringing bottled water on board It's nice to save money, but not worth the bother.
3. Never been interested in the crowded pool, but I really don't understand why people don't follow rules and continually save chairs. I hear so many complaints about that.
4. I love kids, but I hate the parents who let them run totally out of control.
Things I love:
1. The ships...All I have sailed on!
2. We still take excursions, but they are becoming fewer and fewer. We are seasoned travelers and love to visit different places -- have seen much of the world by land. We have just about explored most of the islands. Still some things to see in Panama and Costa Rica. But it's rapidly becoming the lure of the cruise itself and not the sight seeing. I love sea days.
5. And we really have enjoyed the fellow cruisers we have met on board. Most are considerate and happy cruisers!
6. I enjoy cooking and entertaining, but I never make cold soup. I love cold soup served on a cruise. And I really enjoy the presentations. Most of the food is quite good and I feel like I'm being catered to...Nice feeling, not only in the dining rooms, but all over the ship.
7. Like so many, I even enjoy waiting in line to embark and hearing and talking about the anticipation. Everyone is excited and happy!
From someone who once said you would NEVER EVER find me on a cruise ship, I fully retract all those silly statements. I LOVE TO CRUISE.

[quote name='srphnx'][color=black][b]I have thrown a few elbows in return by "accident". "Ah, look at all that kippered herring in your hair, guess it was worth being so rude and pushy afterall, do you have a cat at home?"[/b][/color][/QUOTE]

LMAO :D:D

Scott

Archived