Difference Between E1, E2, E3, D1, D2?

We recently booked Serenade (Radiance class) for the Panama Canal next April. We wanted to try a hump cabin and there was one available on deck 8 that is listed as an E-1. Okay, I think it is $40 pp more then the E-2's neigboring it that are further out on the hump. Same size room as the E-2's, but I have heard and the ship's deck plan seems to indicate that the balcony is 150% of a standard balcony. Let's see, $40 divided by 14 days of cruising means we're paying $2.86 per day, pp to enjoy a balcony that is 50% larger and is a cabin located where we want it (midships)? I like to think I'm as fiscally responsible (read cheap), as anyone (you can contact my kids for references) yet I can live with that splurge.

Our thinking, if we are going on a cruise and going to spend that kinda $$, we are not going to quibble over a differance of 100-200 more for a Superior Ocean View and a larger room. This way if both of us are in the room and hubby wants to watch TV, I can still take my nappypoos, and he can sit on the sofabed

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCT 11, 2008

• 3 years later...

I recently spoke with a RCCL rep. I originally choose E1 for the three of us all adults. She said the E2 and 3 seem to sleep 2 versus the E1 which sleeps 3 via pullman bed.

The D1 and D2 category seem to have the same principal as far as how many it sleeps because i just upgraded and they forced me into the D1 for the sleeper sofa.

There is one difference which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE, the fact that the E1-3 class r 200 Sq. ft and 58sq. ft balcony.

D1,2 class are 214 sq ft and 42-44 sq ft balcony. So in reality they just make the balcony smaller to make the room bigger so it depends on ur prefrence if u want the extra room in ur stateroom or on the balcony but the price jump shouldnt be there seeing is how they are both the same size if the not the E class with the much larger balcony seemed to be a foot or two bigger. Interesting? Any thoughts?

PS-This is all regarding the FOS and FOS class ships.

I recently spoke with a RCCL rep. I originally choose E1 for the three of us all adults. She said the E2 and 3 seem to sleep 2 versus the E1 which sleeps 3 via pullman bed.

The D1 and D2 category seem to have the same principal as far as how many it sleeps because i just upgraded and they forced me into the D1 for the sleeper sofa.

There is one difference which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE, the fact that the E1-3 class r 200 Sq. ft and 58sq. ft balcony.

D1,2 class are 214 sq ft and 42-44 sq ft balcony. So in reality they just make the balcony smaller to make the room bigger so it depends on ur prefrence if u want the extra room in ur stateroom or on the balcony but the price jump shouldnt be there seeing is how they are both the same size if the not the E class with the much larger balcony seemed to be a foot or two bigger. Interesting? Any thoughts?

PS-This is all regarding the FOS and FOS class ships.

I've been wondering about this difference in balcony size and hope we won't be disappointed. We're cruising on FOS (first time on RCCL) in Jan. 2011 and originally had E1 cabins. I noticed a price drop a few months ago and called our TA; she got RCCL on the phone, and we were offered an "upgrade" to D2 for an even better price. I think I misunderstood and thought she said "bigger balcony" instead of "cabin." We changed to D2, but then noticed later the balcony size was only 42 sq feet. We love balcony time...my favorite place to be...so hope we didn't make a bad choice. BTW, the RCCL cruise book I have lists the D2 balconies at 68 sq ft or something like that in the FOS deck plans, so that info must be incorrect, huh? Oh well, I'm sure it will still be great! Can anybody comment on these 42 sq foot balconies, or have a picture to share?

Cindy

I've been wondering about this difference in balcony size and hope we won't be disappointed. We're cruising on FOS (first time on RCCL) in Jan. 2011 and originally had E1 cabins. I noticed a price drop a few months ago and called our TA; she got RCCL on the phone, and we were offered an "upgrade" to D2 for an even better price. I think I misunderstood and thought she said "bigger balcony" instead of "cabin." We changed to D2, but then noticed later the balcony size was only 42 sq feet. We love balcony time...my favorite place to be...so hope we didn't make a bad choice. BTW, the RCCL cruise book I have lists the D2 balconies at 68 sq ft or something like that in the FOS deck plans, so that info must be incorrect, huh? Oh well, I'm sure it will still be great! Can anybody comment on these 42 sq foot balconies, or have a picture to share?

Cindy

I am also traveling in Jan. 16 11'. I just looked that the pictures sent after your comment. i cant see a difference in size but who knows they told me E1 8610 had an extra large balcony but it was on the butt. I dont want to see 8 steel beems running across my view so i switched then i wanted more space for the three of us but it seems that the only space you get is takin away from your balcony. I am on deck ten which makes me happy to be on the top deck that has any rooms. I also noticed on the web site the sq footage of each room is not even close to what the rep said.so honestly i dont no what to believe. I just dont want to make a rash decision and i am a balcony person two for breakfast and such.

Chris

Freedom 8346 (E) balcony:

2101431090101417785S600x600Q85.jpg

6330 (E):

2012592080032656412S600x600Q85.jpg

7338 (E):

2009862810102519676S600x600Q85.jpg

D cabin's balcony:

2430344280059070952S600x600Q85.jpg

2098241440069717818S600x600Q85.jpg

2113642590087978241S600x600Q85.jpg

I personally think 6330# E is the biggest as the pictures show. but they all look small to me. a room that can sleep three ppl but a balcony that cant fit three seems like a stupid idea to me.

I am also traveling in Jan. 16 11'. I just looked that the pictures sent after your comment. i cant see a difference in size but who knows they told me E1 8610 had an extra large balcony but it was on the butt. I dont want to see 8 steel beems running across my view so i switched then i wanted more space for the three of us but it seems that the only space you get is takin away from your balcony. I am on deck ten which makes me happy to be on the top deck that has any rooms. I also noticed on the web site the sq footage of each room is not even close to what the rep said.so honestly i dont no what to believe. I just dont want to make a rash decision and i am a balcony person two for breakfast and such.

Chris

8610 is not an aft balcony.

Check that cabin number.

Do you mean 8710?

If so, that has a GREAT balcony. In MY opinion, the steel superstructure does not have any effect on my enjoyment of my extra-large aft balcony.

You will be able to eat breakfast on 8710's balcony in comfort and with a great view. Not so comfortable on a side cabin balcony.

I personally think 6330# E is the biggest as the pictures show. but they all look small to me. a room that can sleep three ppl but a balcony that cant fit three seems like a stupid idea to me.

If you want a larger balcony, either book an aft cabin or a Junior Suite.

8610 is not an aft balcony.

Check that cabin number.

Do you mean 8710?

If so, that has a GREAT balcony. In MY opinion, the steel superstructure does not have any effect on my enjoyment of my extra-large aft balcony.

You will be able to eat breakfast on 8710's balcony in comfort and with a great view. Not so comfortable on a side cabin balcony.

So i changed my reservation for the 10th and hopefully final time. the room was not 8710 but 8712. any difference better/worse? having been neighbors?

Archived