Switching main dining time for one night?

Is it possible to have early seating all week, except go to late seating on one day? I am asking because we are in port until 7pm in Cozumel, which happens to be lobster day.

We don't want to miss lobster and our excursion doesn't end until 5pm so making dinner will be tight. Is it possible to ask our waiter or someone else to make this special arrangement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather

From my experience, this isn't really possible to do. I guess you could ask your waiter whether the table you sit at during main seating is completely full at late seating and if not maybe you can squeeze in. I don't know if others have done this or not.

On our last cruise, the Super Bowl was the day we sailed. There was a HUGE line waiting to see the headwaiter on that first day (when most people go to request seating changes). 95% of those people wanted late seating "just for today" and then back to their regular time for the rest of the week. The head waiter was so frustrated with the whole thing, that he finally assigned someone to ask each person that lined up what their request was for. Everyone who asked for different seating "Just for today" was told they would have to dine in the Windjammer.

Is it possible to have early seating all week, except go to late seating on one day? I am asking because we are in port until 7pm in Cozumel, which happens to be lobster day.

We don't want to miss lobster and our excursion doesn't end until 5pm so making dinner will be tight. Is it possible to ask our waiter or someone else to make this special arrangement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather

I'm sure that you are more of a seasoned cruiser than I am, as we just completed our 2nd cruise to Alaska last month. However, have you considered just changing to the late seating. We ran into the same type of issue on our cruise, but we were able to switch to the late seating and will not go back to the early seating again.

My DS 15 and DD 11, would head up to the windjammer around 4:30 or so to get a snack and they were ready to go at dinner. The later seating just seemed to work better for us. We did not have to worry about rushing through ports and the later seating seemed more relaxed.

Just a thought.

Debbi

We have cruised before and had late seating previous. We are traveling with my in-laws who eat early normally so dinner at 6pm will be a stretch.

I will probably ask and if it is not possible we will go with plan B (try to get back on board from the excursion ASAP).

Thanks everyone.

Heather

We don't want to miss lobster and our excursion doesn't end until 5pm so making dinner will be tight. Is it possible to ask our waiter or someone else to make this special arrangement? Heather

YES, its possible I did iy a few times.

Ask your waiter, if their is room at one of his tabels it won't be a problem.

Yes, it's possible. We had a couple of people from the first seating join our table for one night only because they couldn't get tickets for the ice show timed for their seating. There were many vacant seats in the second seating. The head waiter should be able to take care of it.

Suggestion - if you are accomodated for that one evening, it might be a nice gesture to place a tip in an envelope for your wait staff for that one night... unless they are your regular wait staff from your designated main seating (unlikely), you will not see them again and they do deserve the gratuity. JMO. :)

Have a fun cruise.

It is totally possible to do this -- if there is space at one of the waiter's tables for the late seating. On our last cruise, we had a couple that the gentleman got sick early in the cruise and they started eating in their room -- or in the Windjammer when he felt up to it. This left us with at least 2 empty seats every night. Well, a couple had missed their early seating and asked if it was possible to eat during our late seating --- they liked our group so much --- they made the switch permanent! So....it can be done! Good luck and enjoy your lobster!:)

We're on the Mariner in October and I noticed that we are docked in St Thomas until 8 pm. I've been on seven Caribbean cruises and have never been at any port until this late in the evening.

We would like to take advantage of this late departure, but are not sure what is available to do on shore in the early evening. Do the shops stay open? Are there good restaurants open? Are cabs readily available? Is safety a concern?

We have been very fortunate and have been able to dine at the second seating, when we have had early dinner for the cruise. Usually our waiter would find a table for us and take care of us that evening. If he could not accomodate us, we have had the maitre d find us an alternate table for that one night. I definitely would show some gratuity, if it is not your normal waiter. Also, the earlier you request the change for the day, the better.

Usually while in port, the dining room is less crowded. Also, as someone else state, second seating is less crowded to begin with.

Another option? Order room service and have dinner in the cabin! I believe you order off that night's menu. I know it depends on your cabin size, but it could work!

You can't get the lobster from room service. There are many items nightly, but the lobster, filet and a few others aren't available as they are in the dining room.

One night I had problems with my wrist, so I couldn't cut meat and I don't eat well with my left hand. We decided to do room service and I thought my husband could cut my filet as that was what was on the menu in the dining room. I was told, no filet, could have the sirloin steak, but not the filet. So, no steak for me.

Archived