Driving From Balto to Philly??

Hi All!

We are going to be on the Empress Cruise leaving Philly on 9/1 - driving to the port from the Baltimore Metro Area. Anyone know anything about this port?? Is it clearly marked? Is it a hassle to drive?? I've been past the Bayonne port and already know it's better to go up the night before due to traffic, etc. Is this true of Philly as well?

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

Hi All!

We are going to be on the Empress Cruise leaving Philly on 9/1 - driving to the port from the Baltimore Metro Area. Anyone know anything about this port?? Is it clearly marked? Is it a hassle to drive?? I've been past the Bayonne port and already know it's better to go up the night before due to traffic, etc. Is this true of Philly as well?

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

You will be driving up 95, and the port is very close to 95. Very easy. Here is a link: http://www.cruisephilly.com/pages/visitors/directions.php

September 1 is a Saturday, right? There shouldn't be much traffic on I-95, unless there's a construction project. :D Or a big tractor-trailer accident. ;)

Hi All!

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

Should take an hour and a half from the tunnel in Balto.

As usual MerionMom is right on target. The most congested part of your trip will be the tolls on 95. Oh, and watch out for the construction . . . I forget now whether you need to take 495 or 95 in northern Delaware, but it is well marked.

Normal traffic you are less than 2 hours away . . . no need to head up a day early.

I am sure you are aware of this, but 9/1 is the start of Labor Day weekend which will probably increase traffic somewhat. I lived in DE for 38 years and I would take 495 around Wilmington. It is a little longer, and even on a Saturday, less congested.

Gregg

Hi Neighbor!!

We'll be driving from Perry Hall MD to Bayonne for our Aug 12 cruise. We will not be able to leave until that morning. Any advice as to what time we should leave? How long is the drive? Also, are the directions on the port site accurate? I've heard it is difficult to find. Also, what's the parking situation? I read it is $15/day, but also read something about shuttle service for $8/day. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All!

Thanks for your help!

Suze!

Hi Neighbor!!

We'll be driving from Perry Hall MD to Bayonne for our Aug 12 cruise. We will not be able to leave until that morning. Any advice as to what time we should leave? How long is the drive? Also, are the directions on the port site accurate? I've heard it is difficult to find. Also, what's the parking situation? I read it is $15/day, but also read something about shuttle service for $8/day. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks in advance.

Should take an hour and a half from the tunnel in Balto.

IMHO an hour an a half is not realistic. I would say more like 2 hours at least.

As usual MerionMom is right on target. The most congested part of your trip will be the tolls on 95. Oh, and watch out for the construction . . . I forget now whether you need to take 495 or 95 in northern Delaware, but it is well marked.

Normal traffic you are less than 2 hours away . . . no need to head up a day early.

495 around Wilmington is usually better than 95 and is well marked as already stated.

I am sure you are aware of this, but 9/1 is the start of Labor Day weekend which will probably increase traffic somewhat. I lived in DE for 38 years and I would take 495 around Wilmington. It is a little longer, and even on a Saturday, less congested.

Gregg

Yup 495. The port is just off 95 in S. Philly and quite easy to access.

IMHO an hour an a half is not realistic. I would say more like 2 hours at least.

Nah. I can get to College Park in just over two hours on a good day. FROM THE TUNNEL is the key to the description here. It *may* be a little more than an hour and a half, but not much. :) No, changed my mind. an hour and a half is a good estimate. :D

495 around Wilmington is usually better than 95 and is well marked as already stated.
Right on.

Yup 495. The port is just off 95 in S. Philly and quite easy to access.
Definitely.

And without any specific reason, I would trust the parking info on the cruisephilly website. :)

Parking Fees

Long-term parking is provided at the rate of $10 per day for the length of your cruise payable in cash or by credit card. Parking fees are paid upon exiting the parking facility. We encourage payment for parking in cash to facilitate a quicker check-in process. Short-term parking is provided for passenger and crew pick-ups only.

Every vehicle driver must be prepared to show a valid Photo Driver's License and another form of valid Photo ID. All vehicle passengers must be prepared to show a valid Photo ID.

Please Note: There is no parking on Broad Street. Any vehicle stopped on Broad Street that is not actively loading or unloading passengers will be instructed to move and will be required to follow the Exit/Return route to the terminal in order to meet disembarking passengers.

Thanks for the info!

Suze!

Hello to everyone, friends, neighbors and fellow CC's. I thank you for the advice that you have given. I will be making the drive from the Baltimore area to Phila for this cruise :cool: I'm not worried about the trip because I am the type of person who will arrive at my funeral so early, the others won't know that I died yet :eek: !!

I also have the BEST navigator/copilot/organizer/planner in the business + a GPS! The construction and maybe an unanticipated truck malfunction is the only thing I could see that would make me late for this cruise.

By the way, may I say that I Love You Basketsuze? :D

Your Loving Husband Ken (Crazy Flying Fish). :D :cool:

Right now I am ROFLMAO! ')"]rotfl.gif

I actually did come across this site when I was looking for my avitar!

There is a place here where I live that I can give this a try. I guess you guys will have to come down here and try it with us or we'll just give you our humble opinion about it.

It must be that Great Minds (even if by accident) do think alike!

Thank you! Ken.

Archived