A less than auspicious beginning to RC anytime dining.

Hypo

I just received this E-mail from RCCL about the upcoming anytime dining trial.

"The email we recently sent you regarding Open Seating contained an

incorrect phone number. We apologize for any inconvenience this may

have caused you. Please call (800) 590-6209 to sign up for our new

Open Seating* option for dinner."

Enuf said:D

Hypo

I just received this E-mail from RCCL about the upcoming anytime dining trial.

"The email we recently sent you regarding Open Seating contained an

incorrect phone number. We apologize for any inconvenience this may

have caused you. Please call (800) 590-6209 to sign up for our new

Open Seating* option for dinner."

Enuf said:D

Hypo

Mark,

At least, from the sound of that e mail, the open seating will be an option open to passengers and the experiment should not affect traditional diners. Hopefully, they won't try to force any unwilling participants to take open dining.

We know it is aggravating for them to spring this on you so close to the cruise and we understand your concerns. But, don't let any negativity you are feeling spill over to the cruise. Have a great time!

Mark,

At least, from the sound of that e mail, the open seating will be an option open to passengers and the experiment should not affect traditional diners. Hopefully, they won't try to force any unwilling participants to take open dining.

We know it is aggravating for them to spring this on you so close to the cruise and we understand your concerns. But, don't let any negativity you are feeling spill over to the cruise. Have a great time!

I agree, you seem quite passionate about keeping traditional dinning going (you have posted over 20 times on the subject). I truly believe that you will ALWAYS have that traditional option. Let it go and have a wonderful trip.

But they are at least announcing the option, so those who want it aren't *itching about not being offered it. So if you are like many of us that love traditional, the same waiter who gets to know you & your likes, and just please nice to dine at; then stick with traditional & don't call the number, just delete the message.

Our next cruise is the C&A member cruise in Alaska/NW Pacific and I am guessing they are not doing that with us.

Macop, the problem with your theory is in practice more want traditional than anytime and then traditional gets waitlisted and not open to folks who wanted it.

Now you are going to be having to book early enough to get traditional if they do it like Princess. Go read the Princess boards and how many threads there are about folks waitlisted for traditional. Iv been on 2 Princess cruises lately and the one I wanted traditional my number must not have come up. The wait list goes up into the hundreds, like 600 at times of folks who wanted it and cant get it so have to get wait listed.

firefly333,

We have no experience with the open dining, but we can't help but wonder if one of the aims is to get more usage per table. Under the traditional method a table is only turned twice a night. Perhaps, space and the waitstaff requirements are reduced with open dining.

When you had open dining, did it seem that you finished the meal much quicker? A while back there was a trend in the restaurant industry to crank up the stereo speakers so patrons wouldn't sit around and chat.

First let me preface this post with the fact that RCCL is my first choice when planning to cruise. I presently have four cruises booked on RCCL for next year. I have sailed Princess and have used both traditional and anytime dining on their ships. I am booked on a Princess cruise next March and have asked for traditional dining. Now the crux of this post - in many of the posts here I keep reading about the "large" wait list for traditional dining - last post stated 600 people. I can not believe that if the waitlist was as large as some of the "traditional" cruisers on these boards state that Princess would not change from one traditional and two anytime to two traditional and one anyone dining rooms. They are in the business to satifsy their customers and if the figures showed they needed to change the above because it was needed it would have been done. I believe the figures some individuals are quoting are a little exaggerated. I do not know about some of you but I have made reservations at some very exclusive resstaurants and when I arrive for my reservation I am placed in a "holding" area because the previous diners at my reserved table have not finished dining. Why should this be different as sea. A little wait never hurt anyone and it a sign of the times. get over it.

We had anytime dining on the Star Princess Feb 2006. We booked 6 weeks before the cruise and were told not to even bother with waitlisting.

With the exception of the first night the service was quite poor. We stood in line with people who we realized we did not want as table companions when we approached the head of the line.:eek: We requested a table for 2 every night and had to wait for between 15 minutes to 45 minutes every time, and that was after waiting in a long line to get up to the point where you would speak with the Maitre D. We like to eat later (2nd seating) and apparently so did most people on that cruise, so anytime meant that everyone was appearing at the dining room at the same time. The Maitre D staff was surly and acted quite frustrated most nights. One night the bar beside the restaurant was full of about 30 couples all wanting tables for two. It was quite amusing actually. We did not realize that we had to book the specialty restaurants the day we sailed or there was a good possiblity that it would be completely booked. All we managed was 1 reservation in the Italian Restaurant and 1 in the steak restaurant, we booked those on Day 2, they were the last two reservations available. The menu was identical to the menu in the traditional dining room.

From our experience we did like the way that things worked with the set dining times on RCI in Feb, however, we do prefer being able to choose when we eat. The other issue is with the shows on the RCI ship, they had them well timed so that people from both seatings could usually find their way to the shows. This was not the case on the Star Princess. In my opinion RCI has done so many things so very well, perhaps they may do an excellent job with the open seating. If they do not experiment with it, they will never know.

Dee

First let me preface this post with the fact that RCCL is my first choice when planning to cruise. I presently have four cruises booked on RCCL for next year. I have sailed Princess and have used both traditional and anytime dining on their ships. I am booked on a Princess cruise next March and have asked for traditional dining. Now the crux of this post - in many of the posts here I keep reading about the "large" wait list for traditional dining - last post stated 600 people. I can not believe that if the waitlist was as large as some of the "traditional" cruisers on these boards state that Princess would not change from one traditional and two anytime to two traditional and one anyone dining rooms. They are in the business to satifsy their customers and if the figures showed they needed to change the above because it was needed it would have been done. I believe the figures some individuals are quoting are a little exaggerated. I do not know about some of you but I have made reservations at some very exclusive resstaurants and when I arrive for my reservation I am placed in a "holding" area because the previous diners at my reserved table have not finished dining. Why should this be different as sea. A little wait never hurt anyone and it a sign of the times. get over it.

The discrepancy might be because you traveled in March. In prime vacation time, when a ship is sold-out, or nearly sold-out, the wait list is that long. Back in January, I wanted to book Crown Princess for our August cruise, and was told that traditional dining was already sold out and that the wait list was several hundred people long. That's why we didn't book with Princess and will be sailing on Mariner again in 5 weeks..

We have done open seating on other ships and hated it.

Kinda like what you do when you eat in the dining room for breakfast or lunch they will try to seat you with someone else....say no if you don't want that.

Anyway, our experience has been that the service lacked compared to the traditional seating. I don't know how they do the tips, so I don't know what incentive the waitstaff have.

Now the crux of this post - in many of the posts here I keep reading about the "large" wait list for traditional dining - last post stated 600 people. I can not believe that if the waitlist was as large as some of the "traditional" cruisers on these boards state that Princess would not change from one traditional and two anytime to two traditional and one anyone dining rooms. They are in the business to satifsy their customers and if the figures showed they needed to change the above because it was needed it would have been done. I believe the figures some individuals are quoting are a little exaggerated.

Believe it. That's why I and many others who prefer traditional dining and cruise on Princess are upset about RCI testing the waters of anytime dining. Princess doesn't seem to have any flexibility in their dining arrangements. On a Grand class ship, there is one traditional dining room. Period. The waitlists for traditional CAN number in the hundreds, especially during busy vacation periods.

I agree with the concept of anytime dining in theory. I understand why some might prefer it and think it's great for them to have that option. What I don't agree with and am praying doesn't happen on RCI is inflexibility and lack of responsiveness to the desires of passengers on any given sailing.

My hope is that Royal Caribbean will be able to learn from the mistakes others have made, combine that with their unparalleled big-ship experience, and develop a program that will make most (someone will always complain:() of the passengers happy.

For what it's worth, I too like the traditional, but I like the flexable optional dining too.

We have sailed with RCCL and enjoyed having the same waiter and table mates each night. It really bothered me when others did not show up on the final night. I hate to think bad of people, but I wonder if they don't come that evening, how do they get the service tip to the waiters, or is the intent to "Stiff" them? On Open dining ships they collect tips separate and do a pool for the employees which I think is much more favorable for them. You can always pass extra dollars on.

But there is a down side to that concept. When we sailed the Diamond Princess last year I found the wait staff less attentive because there was no motivation for them to earn the personal tip we would have given out on the last day of formal seating. I've been told by others that they experienced the same less than generous service in open dining too.

On the other hand, when you have a full day of excursions it's nice not to have to worry about rushing back to the ship because you will miss the dinner seating or have to get dressed for the dining room. I was so exhausted after one day in Alaska that I was glad I had the option to dine anywhere.

You still have to make reservations in whatever restaurant you eat in (other than the buffet or room service) you just have time flex as an option to you.

So I have good points and bad points for either. One thing I do know, there's plenty of food no matter how you choose to get it. And really, when we all think of it, did we book to eat?

The best thing I can offer is that you relax and enjoy every minute of your cruise as they end way too soon.

A little wait never hurt anyone and it a sign of the times.

Technically, a little wait can hurt...for people like my stubbord diabetic husband who's on an insulin pump and hates checking his blood sugar. Common sense would say check your blood sugar before leaving for the restaurant and turn off the pump until you're eating (or eat a snack before you go). This is why we rarely (maybe twice a year) go out to eat, he has to eat at set times and not knowing when you'll get your food makes us stay home. With traditional, we know that he'll be eating bread by 6:15, not knowing how long you may stand in a line is unacceptable. If we waited 45 minutes past his normal eating schedule I'd be dealing with someone who bystanders would assume was a loud obnoxious drunk. When all he needs is some juice.

I don't believe for a milisecond the cruise industry is consumer driven, it's profit driven. Consumers would not have put ice cream. coffee, cafe's and fee restaurants and $2.01 for a can of diet coke, onboard for items that were previously included. The mass market lines like RCL and Princess and NCL are going "freestyle" for their benifit. I think if passengers find the dining experience lass satisfing their tips should reflect that and THEN the cruise will re-examine the wisdom of their decision. There has always been alternative dining for late stragglers or someone who didn't want to go to the dining room, remember the Windjammer? Remember the room service menu? Remember the pizza place?

Kinda like what you do when you eat in the dining room for breakfast or lunch they will try to seat you with someone else....say no if you don't want that.

Has this worked for you?

Several times on RCI at breakfast or lunch, we've asked to be seated by ourselves, and were told that it was impossible - that they must fill the larger tables up - that no waiters are assigned to the smaller tables, etc.

Once on AOS they sat me (a single) at a table for 10 where the other 9 people belong to one party. I asked to be seated elsewhere because I was being ignored and felt like the odd person out, and was refused. They actually let me walk out rather than reseat me. I complained to the head waiter and maitre-d, but since it was after the fact, all I got was excuses...

As several have said they believe the wait staff is also less attentive because you are not one on one with them when tips are issued.

I understand when I am told Im #342 on the wait list for the Princess Grand I probably am not going to make it to traditional, but it is not that big of a deal, just a preference to sit with the same folks every night. As some said you can go sit with different people every night on anytime dining and to me we had the same introductory conversations every night, never got to know them.

Not getting the dining you want seems to be the way cruises go, as I said its just a preference with me, nothing that would make me change my cruise. I also prefer early dining. On my Disney cruise Oct 2008!!! Im wait listed already for early dining.

I agree, you seem quite passionate about keeping traditional dinning going (you have posted over 20 times on the subject). I truly believe that you will ALWAYS have that traditional option. Let it go and have a wonderful trip.

Actually, I just enjoy a good debate, and I am also trying to get my posts up to the 5000 club.:D

Hypo

Wake Up! A Buzzer that goes off about 30-45 minutes while you are at the bar giving them more money as you wait to be seated & hopefully a table for 2 not 10.

We did it with Princess & not very satisfactory unless you are getting their for dinner at 5PM. Never waitlisted when we did traditional but we book cruises a year in advance for the bargain & upgrades.

Table for 2 or 4 that is us. If tables for 2 are unavailable we get a table for 4 with just us. If we see someone we like walking by we motion for them to join us. Only a few times a guy with broken english takes us to a big table and we step back & say NO. I hand signal 2 not 10 to him. He takes us correctly then.

At least RCCL is using one level to experiment on & on the largest ship too. Princess has pretty much axed traditional for their anytime which I didn't like. So they are slicing their own wrists with that, but then again they are Carnival!

So waitlisting folks are the new purchasers who wanted late & it is sold out & they are not Diamond or Plus to get the seating. So they get main seating or they go to WJ.

Macop, the problem with your theory is in practice more want traditional than anytime and then traditional gets waitlisted and not open to folks who wanted it.

Now you are going to be having to book early enough to get traditional if they do it like Princess. Go read the Princess boards and how many threads there are about folks waitlisted for traditional. Iv been on 2 Princess cruises lately and the one I wanted traditional my number must not have come up. The wait list goes up into the hundreds, like 600 at times of folks who wanted it and cant get it so have to get wait listed.

I think we can debate all we like but I also think it's a done deal and RCI will go any-time dining fleet wide. I've been keeping up with the HAL board and they just announced, after a very short "trial" period, that they will begin to offer both. Who would have thought it!!?? :eek:

Now RCI is in it's "trial" period...........

With anytime dining, you are not going to get done quicker, its much slower.

The waiters are going back to the kitchen a lot more than they normally would. People are coming in at all different times so its harder to go only a few times if the waiters tables are are all starting at the same time.

We tried the open dining on HAL and really made for a long evening with poor service.

With anytime dining, you are not going to get done quicker, its much slower.

The waiters are going back to the kitchen a lot more than they normally would. People are coming in at all different times so its harder to go only a few times if the waiters tables are are all starting at the same time.

We tried the open dining on HAL and really made for a long evening with poor service.

good point.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am a single cruiser and really love the traditional dinning. I look forward to seeing the same people at the table (I consider them part of my family that week) every nite. I also like having the same wait staff every nite as well. To me, that is a huge part of my cruising vacation, being pampered by the same staff everynite. With the anytime dining, I don't think you would get that same type of personal service as you would be just another person. I feel that way at breakfast, but that is okay then, because I just want a good breakfast and go on the next activity. But dinner is totally different. I live and eat alone at home. Don't feel sorry for me, but the cruise is my escape and my form of being pampered. I hope RCI doesn't change to all anytime dining. I very much like the quality of the ships, company and service that RCI offers.

Just my two cents worth.

I wonder how the execution of anytime dining will mesh with RC's marketing placing an emphasis on families travelling in large groups, such as reunions, quinceanieras (sp?), anniversaries, etc.

Having people show up whenever might work if RC marketed to couples, and the whole dining room were full of tables for two or four, but what happens when so many people are part of parties of 12 or more? With traditional dining they can accommodate that, but I think that getting a table for 12 at 7:00 pm is going to be just as hard as getting a table for 12 at 7:00 at your popular local restaurant (Outback, Macaroni Grill) on a Saturday night - i.e. next to impossible without a long, long wait.

Archived