How Do You Think It Makes Them Feel?

sail7seas

Most of us pretty well acknowledge that many of HAL crew and folks from Seattle Offices read these BB's.

When they see our threads speaking of our excitement about our upcoming cruises, see our countdown clocks and then read reviews saying what a wonderful time we had on their ships..... I really wonder how they feel. Hopefully they are proud and satisified their hard work was appreciated and produced the desired results. In their special line of work, they can have a special feeling of knowing people used their too little, very precious vacation time and money on their ship and they have no regrets. That, just the opposite, they are so happy with the choice they made.

I hope it makes their long months away from home and their families more worth it for them.

Most of us pretty well acknowledge that many of HAL crew and folks from Seattle Offices read these BB's.

When they see our threads speaking of our excitement about our upcoming cruises, see our countdown clocks and then read reviews saying what a wonderful time we had on their ships..... I really wonder how they feel. Hopefully they are proud and satisified their hard work was appreciated and produced the desired results. In their special line of work, they can have a special feeling of knowing people used their too little, very precious vacation time and money on their ship and they have no regrets. That, just the opposite, they are so happy with the choice they made.

I hope it makes their long months away from home and their families more worth it for them.

Sail:

We occasionally discuss the front office reading these posts (and know they do) but your observation about the reaction of the crew is very kind-hearted. I hope they DO realize and know we appreciate their hard work which makes our leisure time so wonderful. (even if they NEVER remember my name;) ).

Cheers

Mark

I try to make sure that those that serve us on land or on a cruise know that we appreciate their service and efforts. My wife spent many years as a waitress during college and grad school so I've heard her side of things. I cant imagine how tough it must be for some to be away from their families in may cases up to 10 months at a time working aboard ship. Thats why I get annoyed when I see fellow passengers treating a staff member poorly.

Sail, very good question. I know that the crew and (those at the top) from various lines read these boards. I have been told (by crew on Princess) that they actually look for their names sometimes.

Our family was so impressed with the crew onboard our first HAL ( Zuiderdam) cruise last summer. There were things that we liked better about Princess but the staff, made it all so wonderful and we decided to give HAL another go this summer onboard the Maasdam. After the unfortunate mishaps that occured on the Maasdam's last NE journey, I was a little nervous. Our family realizes though, that things happen and nothing is perfect. I am just hoping that the toilets behave on our cruise:o There is no doubt in my mind that the crew onboard the Maasdam will be as lovely as our first HAL cruise.

I have found throughout all of our crusies that it goes such a long way with the crew if one shows their appreciation. I guess I am that way anyway, anytime someone else is cooking my meals and making my bed (and putting chocolates on my pillow;) ) I am a happy camper and appreciative. We have always been given back in kindness twice what we have given most of our room stewards.

I remember on the Zuiderdam, our son was a little bored. It had been our third cruise to Alaska and well, he just sort of sat around and read books and watched movies, he was not that interested in the scenery. The steward was so concerned about him because he thought that our son was not having a good time. He just wanted all of us to really enjoy our cruise. I thought that was amazing, as busy as he was. He was a very lovely young man. And of course our evening servers and good old Hunky Dory, what wonderful and kind young men.

We all loved hearing stories about their families and their lives onboard the ship. We have also always had great luck with those helping on the telephones in Seattle. Right now we are very pleased with HAL and are VERY excited for our Maasdam cruise only three weeks away from today!!

Linda

I work in a grocery store about 25 miles northeast of downtown Seattle. A while ago I was telling a coworker all about my recent HAL cruise and why we liked HAL so much.

A customer came up to me and said " Excuse me for interupting, but I would like to thank you for your nice words about HAL, I work in the customer service dept. of HAL, and it's nice to hear how much someone enjoys thier cruises with us"

Every once in a while I see her shopping in the store and she always asks me if we have gone on another cruise with HAL and if we enjoyed it!!!!

But sail - you never list your future cruises or do any countdown clocks!!

So how will the crew know what ship and where you will be sailing in the future?

You're right, KK. I, specifically, do not put countdown clocks. I don't personally want to and my statement was meant in the general sense.

There are lots of countdown clocks on this and all the Boards....... just not one under my name. :)

I am told by a very reliable source that posts on this forum are regularly printed out and posted both on the ships and at HQ for the crew/staff to see. I'm sure Ali, Sly, Hunky Dory, etc. are delighted to see their names posted for their peers to see. I'm sure it gives them a lift.

Thanks for this thread, sail.

Yes, It's nice to know that the folks aboard ship read these boards and understand how important they are to us - They really are the ones who make HAL worth coming back to again and again.

I think it is so easy for people in general to complain, but not as easy to give thanks or a pat on the back for a job well done, and I wonder why ? Both take the same amount of time!! I hope that the powers-that-be DO read these and on top of that, SHARE the comments with the crew. I have asked this question before....has anyone had a response to their "comment card" filled out at the end of their cruise?

Shari

I think it is so easy for people in general to complain, but not as easy to give thanks or a pat on the back for a job well done, and I wonder why ? Both take the same amount of time!! I hope that the powers-that-be DO read these and on top of that, SHARE the comments with the crew. I have asked this question before....has anyone had a response to their "comment card" filled out at the end of their cruise? Shari

When a crew or staff member goes out of his way to accomodate our requests (particularly an unusual request), or remedy a problem concerning our cabin or meal, we send a letter to his supervisor IMMEDIATELY. We know the letter is mentioned to the crew member because we are thanked before we leave the ship. Too many people write to complain, not to commend.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

I can say that the Crew is definitely one of the main reasons we cruise on HAL and really the number one reason we want to return to the Noordam September 9th. There are so many great crew on that ship and we cannot wait to return to see them again. We are so looking forward to seeing these great crew members again. I will be sure to let them all know that they are the reason we are returning. So many of them made our cruise so special but then there have been many that have made all our cruises so very special.

....has anyone had a response to their "comment card" filled out at the end of their cruise?

We turned in our comment card on our last evening. We wrote down some negative comments about our land excursions and our dining room waiter. but also added some positive comments regarding our cabin steward. That evening at 11:00 we received a call from the waiter's supervisor and asked us a few questions. So we know that some departments actually read the cards. However, we never heard anything from HAL regarding our land excursion comments.

I have personally with my own two eyes seen (at least 5 or 6 times) the comment sheets on the table in the Hotel Manager's Office on various HAL ships. On at least three of those times, GRM, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager and maybe F & B (Culinary Operations Officer) seated at the table and they were reviewing the comment sheets.

We had stopped in the Hotel Manager's Office either just before we left a ship or on a back-to-back. I KNOW they are read and taken very seriously.

Archived