RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

How do you figure it's been "great"? There was a HUGE controversy over this as well and as a backlash MANY people booked non Disney properties like the Swan/Dolphin for their Disney trips.

Disney does not allow smoking on their balconies AT ALL and only have one small smoking area per HUGE resort property so the parents would have to leave their children in the room or take the child TO the smoking section...instead of just simply being able to step outside on a balcony.

So who does THIS benefit? The children being left alone in the room or the ones being taken to a smoking area? (Obviously neither works)

My group in August...we usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge at $400/night. Gone...I voted with my wallet and booked the Swan/Dolphin for my entire group.

And look at the prices that Disney continues to get on both the cruise line and at their resorts. I would say that this new policy did not hurt them at all.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll book an OV room now, instead of a balcony. While I realize that there are a lot of environmental factors that could contribute to/cause lung cancer (aside from second hand smoke), why should I expose my children to the smoke if I don't have to?. Plus, I hate the smell. I wish they would designate a portion of the rooms (one side of the ship) "smoking balconies" and another section "nonsmoking", the way hotels do.

I've been on these boards for years and I have to say, this issue is getting blown way out of proportion. Just like any of the other changes cruise lines have made over the years, this issue will settle down and not become a big deal after a while.

You have absolutely no control over the smoking habits of the occupants in the next balcony cabin. But, I think smokers are definitely in the minority now. Your chances of getting a smoker next door are possible, but not definite and actually rather slight.

So, I'd not book an ocean view cabin to try to stay away from smokers on balconies. I also think the majority of smokers are polite about it, don't stay on their balcony 24/7 smoking and it's really not the big deal you're reading about here.

Just a few short years ago you should have read the uproar about tips being placed on cabin accounts...or extra charges for specialty restaurants.

Michelle you might want to check that reservation. We just booked at the Swan for November and I thought I read that they have gone non-smoking as well. I am not sure but if it's important to you, I'd give it a check...:)

From the swan web site....you can still request smoking at the Dolphin.

7. Do you allow smoking at the resort?

The Swan wing of the resort no longer allows smoking in any part of the resort including the guest rooms. Guests who choose to smoke may do so in designated outdoor areas only.

Those who do smoke may prefer to request a room in the Dolphin wing of the resort where smoking is permitted in designated rooms.

cruisingator2 - Sorry but the price of their value resorts took a MAJOR drop as soon as the policy took effect. They send me weekly specials for their resorts and it's the lowest I've ever seen. So they are dropping their prices for SOME reason. Maybe they have to fill the resorts again?

no need for body armor, although I disagree with your conclusions, I'm very happy they're doing this for business reasons. It's most likely just too damn hard to clean up the rooms after a smoker's been in there for a week. Whether you like it or not, just ask any A/C mechanic what the inside of a smoker's house ventilation system looks like. The tars from cigarrette smoke condense on everything, and it's just too hard to clean up.

Whatever hypocrisy that you might feel RCL is showing, at least they did it as a business decision and didn't wait on someone to pass a new law to force them into it. Hopefully, you can work it out for yourself where you can live with the decision. I for instance, absolutely hate the thought of anytime dining, but I'm going to wait and see what they ultimately decide to do.

Happy sailing.

From the swan web site....you can still request smoking at the Dolphin.

7. Do you allow smoking at the resort?

The Swan wing of the resort no longer allows smoking in any part of the resort including the guest rooms. Guests who choose to smoke may do so in designated outdoor areas only.

Those who do smoke may prefer to request a room in the Dolphin wing of the resort where smoking is permitted in designated rooms.

cruisingator2 - Sorry but the price of their value resorts took a MAJOR drop as soon as the policy took effect. They send me weekly specials for their resorts and it's the lowest I've ever seen. So they are dropping their prices for SOME reason. Maybe they have to fill the resorts again?

Non- smokers have had to put up with smokers through lack of choice ,but did you see them not booking holidays because its not going their way ?

But now its going against smokers they start throwing the toys out of their prams !

Could one of the non-smoking zealots help me out with this fact: In 1955 male smokers in the U.S. were 54.2 % and lung cancer deaths were 30/100,000. In 1990, 25.7 % smoked and the lung cancer rate was 72/100,000. Could it be that industrial pollution, vehicle emissions, radiation, diet etc. is causing far more lung cancer deaths than smoking?

Could it be that those males that were smoking in 1955 were then dying in 1990?

I don't doubt that all the other pollutants you mentioned have an ill effect on our population too.

So who does THIS benefit? The children being left alone in the room or the ones being taken to a smoking area? (Obviously neither works)

I'm not a parent, but these are not the only choices. Maybe give it up for the week of your holiday. It's smoking, not dialysis.

Immature is such a slur on someone giving their honest opinion...Judge not, lest ye be judged!

If you're going to get all biblical on us, let's talk about treating your body like a temple. Or do you only attend churches that allow smoking?

I'm not a parent, but these are not the only choices. Maybe give it up for the week of your holiday. It's smoking, not dialysis.

I guess you have never been around a smoker who can't have cigarettes. It's not a "holiday" for anyone, believe me. ;)

If it was that easy to give up for a week, then no one would be addicted to cigarettes.

I guess you have never been around a smoker who can't have cigarettes. It's not a "holiday" for anyone, believe me. ;)

If it was that easy to give up for a week, then no one would be addicted to cigarettes.

True, but requiring the world to be shaped around this habit is no more logical than me saying to the folks at the Swan that I am addicted to cruise critic so they need to give me free internet service.

If you're going to get all biblical on us, let's talk about treating your body like a temple. Or do you only attend churches that allow smoking?

If we are going to go that route we must address the 300 lbers in the buffet line. Obesity is the number 1 killer of our time.

I've been on these boards for years and I have to say, this issue is getting blown way out of proportion. Just like any of the other changes cruise lines have made over the years, this issue will settle down and not become a big deal after a while.

You have absolutely no control over the smoking habits of the occupants in the next balcony cabin. But, I think smokers are definitely in the minority now. Your chances of getting a smoker next door are possible, but not definite and actually rather slight.

So, I'd not book an ocean view cabin to try to stay away from smokers on balconies. I also think the majority of smokers are polite about it, don't stay on their balcony 24/7 smoking and it's really not the big deal you're reading about here.

Just a few short years ago you should have read the uproar about tips being placed on cabin accounts...or extra charges for specialty restaurants.

Yes, at least that had something to do with cruising.

These threads are nothing, but a dumb crusade. Frankly, I don't smoke, and I am really getting sick of this non stop crusade of freeing the world from the horrible sin of smoking. I wonder how many of the people posting constantly about banning smoking are actually cruisers or just do-gooders wanting to stir up the world to ban smoking. People are posting as if today is the first day in which cigarette smoking existed.:rolleyes:

jc

If we are going to go that route we must address the 300 lbers in the buffet line. Obesity is the number 1 killer of our time.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I was just gonna go to town, but I'm gonna stick around for bit...LOL;)

I guess the key difference is that there are healthy ways to eat, drink and enjoy other things that can become vices, if one practices moderation. There is no way, to my knowledge, to smoke without it compromising your health and the health of those forced to be in close proximity to you.

Michelle

You are very well spoken so hang in there but I feel for you trying to take on these people.

Lets just say the non smokers will never be happy. Pretty soon the drink prices will go up (everyone knows why) and someone will complain about that. Where RCI is making a mistake is trying to accomodate one group of people (no matter how large a group they think they are) what are they going to do when the next group doesn't like something?? My solution is to charge a fee of say $50.00 for smoking in the cabin and let it go at that.

Like I said before they have alot of cabins to fill. So we will see what happens.

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll book an OV room now, instead of a balcony. While I realize that there are a lot of environmental factors that could contribute to/cause lung cancer (aside from second hand smoke), why should I expose my children to the smoke if I don't have to?. Plus, I hate the smell. I wish they would designate a portion of the rooms (one side of the ship) "smoking balconies" and another section "nonsmoking", the way hotels do.

You are correct you should not have to expose your children or yourselves to it, one day smoking will be banned almost everywhere ,but hang in until then :)

May i wish yourselves and your children a wonderful and hopefuly (virtualy) smoke free holiday :D

regards,

Gavin :cool:

My husband quit relatively easily. I was amazed at his success. But I have a girlfriend who just can't seem to quit. And it's not for lack of trying. This particular friend did have bout in her life where she dabbled in some pretty serious drugs, and was able to kick that habit, but she says smoking is worse and so hard for her to quit! Yes, she gets shaky and can barely talk when she need a cigarette.

I'm sure it's hard but for some it appears that it's really hard. I wish I knew the answer for her but I don't.

In most areas of our lives, we do a pretty decent of of weighing risks/benefits - other than the risks of killer tobacco smoke. What you are doing is denying your children the benefits/joys of a balcony cabin, in exchange for a potential health benefit so miniscule as to be immeasurable. In my view, a poor decision, but to each his own.

I also am glad to hear of the new smoking policy as smoke bothers me a lot. And worse than that is the danger of fire. When we were coming out of our stateroom to disembark on the Serenade in May the door across the hall was open and the attendant was washing the ceiling. My dh asked him why he was doing that and he said the previous people were smokers.

Jan

be sure to avoid the pool deck while the ship's engines are running, too. there is a SMOKE stack.

sorry, but I just do not understand the uproar over this issue. I am a non-smoker and have never been bothered by smoke on a CRUISE SHIP. I have more fun things to focus on!

as long as smoking is permitted on board (which IT IS), those who need a 100% smoke-free vacation should choose another vacation option. whining here on CC won't change a thing.

the rest of us will just enjoy our cruises and accept that there are others in the world besides ourselves. have a little humility and realize it's unreasonable to expect vacationing strangers to change their behavior (e.g., not smoke on their balcony) just to facilitate your enjoyment.

Oh yeah that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes: Like I said before if it was THAT easy then there would be NO smoking at all in this world.

I guess you have no vices? You are rail thin. You excercise every day. You don't drink. You are the picture of health, right.

God bless ya if you are. But it's far from the norm.

I don't think it's as unusual as you think for people to lead a healthy lifestyle. None of us are pefect, but is that really the requirement, before we're allowed to discuss the costs/benefits of smoking or other activities?

I doubt we could even all agree on what perfect is. I certainly don't think you have to be "rail thin" nor that you have to totally swear off alcohol or exercise every day. I think I do pretty well. I'm not fat, but could stand to lose a few pounds. I drink, but mostly red wine and average probably 4-5 glasses of wine/week. I exercise regularly, but not every day. Do I think I have a right to complain, if I'm being exposed to someone else bad habit? Yes, even with all my imperfections.

Archived