Transportation from airport to pier

Jancruz

Since this is our first time leaving from Cape Liberty cruise port can anyone advise what the best way is to get to the pier from the airport and return..I priced a van for 6 of us and it was over $800.

Thanks.

Jan

You did not say which airport. Last year we used Carmel and had a van for 4 people with tons of luggage and it cost us $75.00 each way between Cape Liberty and Newark Airport. For us they worked out well. Are you flying into JFK?

Vicki

Sorry you are correct..I am flying into Newark....also we arrive EWR at 6:00am do you happen to know if there is somewhere to go for breakfast or something to do until about 10:00am

Thanks,

Jan

Jan - Looking forward to hearing your review. As a "pro" I'm sure that you will have many observations from a slightly different viewpoint. When do you sail?

Hi, Myself and 2 members of my staff sail 9/1 and since the reviews are so much better we are looking forward to it..I was surprised when I heard from David Kelly (who came from Oceania) when he emailed me he had left Azamara..they lost a top notch person.

Jan

Our airfare was "included" in the price of the cruise. It has ALWAYS been my understanding that transfers from the airport to the pier (and reverse going home) in INCLUDED.

There is usually some "bright faced" person with a clipboard (with the cruise line's name) at baggage claim to help you identify your luggage and have it moved to where the shuttle bus to take you to the pier.

We have been on almost 40 cruises and if you get the ship's airfare, you get the ship's transportation to/from the pier.

Is Azamara not supplying shuttle service for passengers with Azamara airfare??

Jan,

Are you flying Continental? If so you will land in one building that does not offer a place to get breakfast. Once you get your luggage you can walk over to another building to get something to eat. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact letter of the building you go over to ,but you can call the airline and they will tell you where to find food. Maybe someone on this board can help out as I have only been there the one time. I set it up with the shuttle company to pick us up at the alternate building for 10:30 and then I called them the morning of pick-up to confirm. Worked out well and we were able to rest in the airport rather than go early to the pier.

So where does Azamara make you stop-over when they fly you? I chose to use their air at the great price they offered. Was it a one stop or change of planes? Do you remember which airline it was? I guess the only good news is we won't arrive so early in Newark. Thanks.

Vicki

Jan,

Are you flying Continental? If so you will land in one building that does not offer a place to get breakfast. Once you get your luggage you can walk over to another building to get something to eat. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact letter of the building you go over to ,but you can call the airline and they will tell you where to find food. Maybe someone on this board can help out as I have only been there the one time. I set it up with the shuttle company to pick us up at the alternate building for 10:30 and then I called them the morning of pick-up to confirm. Worked out well and we were able to rest in the airport rather than go early to the pier.

So where does Azamara make you stop-over when they fly you? I chose to use their air at the great price they offered. Was it a one stop or change of planes? Do you remember which airline it was? I guess the only good news is we won't arrive so early in Newark. Thanks.

Vicki

Hi Vicki..

I think it was St. Louis..I have one agent afraid to fly so she wouldnt stop so we all wanted to arrive the same time so we took a CO nonstop..which was cheap anyway..

Thanks for the info..I think that we will do what you suggested..I had arranged a van and we were going to breakfast and they would wait..so it was a little pricey but it is a fun restaurant..I am a little nervous as Carmel Vans (who I used) would not take a return from us..they said we just had to call when the ship docks as it takes and hour..may I ask who you used as a van company..

Thanks,

Jan

Sorry you are correct..I am flying into Newark....also we arrive EWR at 6:00am do you happen to know if there is somewhere to go for breakfast or something to do until about 10:00am

Thanks,

Jan

Hi Jan, There are about 4-5 hotels (in Elizabeth, NJ) right outside the airport. Marriott, Hampton Inn, and a few others. You can get a decent breakfast in one of those hotels. You'd have to take a cab. It's only a 2 minute drive. Anyway, since you are arriving so early in the morning, there probably isn't much to do. Good luck!

Jan,

I received my air schedule today. We have to change planes in Charlotte NC but to tell the truth I really don't care as this way we get there at 9:30 am and then we can go get our luggage and meet the transfer from Azamara. For me this is almost easier than the CO flight. I know I will hear about it from you girlfriends' DH so I might avoid telling him. He is not the best flyer. Azamara wanted some ridiculous amount for us to change to CO anyway.

I used Carmel also and had no problem with them. We told them the date we would need them and then we called from the ship to confirm what time to pick us up. The driver was waiting for us and we did tip extra since he had been there for a while. I know others have had some problems with them but our trip went smoothly.

I am an agent and was pleased with the air department today when they were able to give me all info including the record locator and seat assignments.

I can't wait to read your review when you get back. Could you please try and take a few mental notes as to the Aqualina menu as that is one thing I have yet to read on this board. Thanks and have a wonderful trip!!!

Vickiicon12.gif

Can I ask what kind of problems people have had with Carmel..I am seriously thinking of changing as I want a definite pickup time..I am glad you got yout ai and you are happy..that is important!!

Jan

My wife and I will be on the 8/11 sailing. My office is in Bayonne and I will actually doing a little work at the office before we board.

On any given Saturday morning there should be plenty of cabs available for the 15 minute trip to the pier. The fare should not be more than $35.00 dollars each way.

As far as food, there is a new "Houlihan's" about 5 minutes from the pier but it is too far to walk.

As far as hotels, the nearest are at the airport or in Jersey City.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

Jan,

The reason we used Carmel instead of a cab was the fact that we had 4 passengers and a lot of luggage. It was easier to arrange car service than 2 cabs. I have seen on CC where others were not totally happy with Carmel but we were. For us it was just easy to eat something at the airport instead of dragging the luggage to a hotel to get something to eat. After flying all night we just wanted to find a place chill out for the few hours we had to pass before we could go to the pier. All in all it was not bad.

Vicki

Thanks for all the imput everyone..I have decided what we are doing..

We will leave the airport in the Marriott shuttle meet in the restarant in the hotel..hang out there until 11am meeting the rest of our group) and take a van to the ship..now my only problem is which van company..I have called Carmel..but I am concerned as I have heard some bad stories about them..any other companies that have large vans and are dependable?

Thanks,

Jan

Archived