Which Cruiseline for Amazon?

tomko2

Looking for a cruise which would go up the Amazon (or down). Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Kathy:)

Hi Kathy

We did the Amazon 7 years ago with Fred Olsen (Black Watch)! Left from Barbados, visited Tobago, Devils Island and went as far as Manus down the Amazon!

It really was the most spectacular cruise, we have ever done! The ship is small, but the service is exceptional!

There are no balcony cabins, but IMHO you wouldn't want to open your doors anyway, particularly in the evening! There are some really huge bugs out there LOL

The smaller the ship, the further down the Amazon you can get!

Kathy

We are booked on the Royal Princess in February. She goes from Fort Lauderdale to Manuas Brazil on a 14 day trip. Visiting St Barts, St Lucia Tobago, Devil's Island and than down the Amazon to Manaus.

Kazover 40, thank you, I will look up Fred Olsen and see what they offer plus check airfares to Barbados from Fla.

Canuk05, I will certainly be looking forward to hearing about your experience on the Royal Princess (is that a new ship?). Also, what have you been told about innoculation requirements, e.g. for Yellow Fever?

Thanks again

Kathy

We did the Amazon from Vancouver, through the Panama Canal and up as far as Manaus then back down and finished in Tampa Florida last Sept/Oct. It was a 34 day trip and so far it is the best cruise we have ever done even better than South America and Antarctica we had done earlier in the year as we had brilliant weather and calm seas all the way. We did it on HAL's Veendam.

I know that Oceania does an Amazon trip out of Florida and that is on a small ship, the same size as Princess's Royal. Also HAL's Prinsendam also does it and that is another smaller ship.

Jennie

Hi Kathy,

We're doing a 7 night cruise on the Amazon on the Iberostar's Grand Amazon in 2008. It's a smaller ship with about 75 cabins. It is a round trip sailing from Manaus. Food, drinks and excursions are included in the price.

There was a good review here on CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=547410&highlight=Iberostar+grand+amazon

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

If your cruise stops at a native village, bring pads of paper, coloured pencils, colour markers, etc. for the children. I don't think that candy is the best choice. One trip to the dollar store brings a big batch of materials for them. I would give them to the school.

Fran

Carol, thanks for the link; I read the review. Although it sounds awesome we have now decided to forego the trip and stick to mainstream cruising for now. Somehow we can't wrap our heads around the Yellow Fever and Malaria warnings.

Fran, what a lovely suggestion. I wonder how many other locations would welcome those items.

Kathy

Archived