PERU - Machu Picchu & the Plains of Nazca

Trainman-2

What a great source of information. My sister and I want to visit MP--but because I am a teacher, travel dates are limited to June-Aug. I've been checking temperature charts for past years and it appears the average is high 60s to low 70s. Has anyone been there during those months? We have been checking on possible cruises, but they are scarce, I suppose due to the time of year. I was very surprised at the cost of either pre or post cruise packages to MP and would love to put together our own journey--but I would need a lot of help! Thanks to anyone who has information to share.

Just a heads up. PACK your suitcases. Don't know where you are flying from to Peru, but if you want a REAL cheapie trip to MP, Spirit Airlines flies Fort Lauderdale to Lima. They are having a sale NOW for limited dates in July and August-$69.00 plus taxes each way. Must be booked by midnight TONIGHT, but definitely a CHEAP way to get to MP. RT Lima/MP/Lima is about $300.00.

Enjoy!!!!

I want to add my comments on a trip my husband and I made in the montb of Sept.

We flew direct to Lima then Cusco. In Cusco we got a car that took us directly to Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. We decided to get use to the altitude in the Valley first then back to Cusco. I highly recommend this town as a way to rest from your trip, to visit the valley, and to take the train to MP.

We stayed at the Sauce (named for a tree). Out the window of our room we could see the ruins. The hotel is small and so charming with a fire each night in the lobby. Also, good food.

We stayed a few days then on to Aguas Calientes. We stayed at Gringo Bills (rm 38). Great view of the plaza and all the happenings of the town. We only had to buy our bus trip to MP for a morning sunrise visit. I can't even begin to voice how incredible this experience was for us.

The rest of our time in Peru was a few days in AC, back to Ollantay. return to Cusco then back to Lima. A great relaxed trip!!!

• 3 weeks later...
You DON'T need a tour/TA to plan a trip to MP. It is VERY easy to do it yourself at your own pace. All the trips from the TA you posted are TOO aggressive. You need TIME to acclimate. TIME to do NOTHING, not running around the first day at a tour pace. Going from sea level (Santiago/Lima) to 11,000 feet OFTEN brings on altitude sickness (AMS). If you are prone to it, you need to be VERY careful.

Is it possible to visit Peru for approx 2 weeks and see both Cuzco/MP and Iquitos with no advance reservations other than first night hotel in Lima? Do you need train reservations from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes in advance?

Can you possibly recommend a local travel agent? (I can get by on my Spanish)

In response to some of your questions:

1. I believe you can do this tour in 2 weeks.

2 I can't speak re "with no advance reservations" I spent many hours researching through the TripAdvisor forum. This is where I learned about going directly to the Sacred Valley to get use to the altitude. I was able to book hotels in Lima, Ollantaymbo, Aguas Calientes, and Cusco via email.

3. Since we did all reservations I am unable to recommend a travel agent. But I highly recommend checking out the TripAdvisor forum with this question.

Knowing Spanish is a great asset!!!

This is where I learned about going directly to the Sacred Valley to get use to the altitude.

Knowing Spanish is a great asset!!!

I don't think I would want to take the ship's excursion to MP. Much too short a time. You would have no time to adjust to the altitude. And MP is such a fascinating place that I would not want to be quickly dragged through. (Years ago when he was young, my brother hid in the ruins for the night so that he could watch the sunrise)

Yes, being able to communicate in Spanish is a huge advantage. It also saves a lot of money!

Does Peru (museums, hotels, etc) follow the same distasteful practice as Argentina in that they blatantly charge more for foreigners?

I agree you need time to visit MP/Peru. My husband and I took the first bus to MP and we were also able to see the sunrise. It was spectacular!!! (your brother is a real adventurer)

Also, I personally never noticed different charges for foreigners in Argentina nor Peru. Maybe because I spoke spanish most of my trip.

It was very common a couple of years ago to charge more to foreigners, even from other Spanish speaking countries. The two price system was openly posted. Most of the people on my tours were from various parts of Argentina and some of them were quite upset on my behalf. Others said "It's only fair- we can't afford to travel in our own country if they make us pay full price." A couple of Arg. ladies at Iguassu asked if they could have my used ticket to send it to some government office and complain.

Newspaper article re Opera Pampa:

Under a tiered pricing system found throughout Argentina, locals pay about $11.50 for admission, while foreigners are charged more for a package that includes food. For $46, tourists get wine and appetizers beforehand; for $72, there's an all-you-can-eat-and-drink barbecue afterward — plus the opportunity to visit a themed pavilion complete with hay stacks, hitching posts and rustic-looking shops selling pricey handicrafts.

Without the double-pricing — in place at many parks and other tourist venues here — few Argentines could afford to attend. In 2001, the country's currency fell by two-thirds against the U.S. dollar, reducing local buying power and making the country a bargain for the ensuing deluge of foreign tourists.

It was probably the BsAs Herald, but I don't really know - I just pulled it up fast to show you. It was a fact that I discovered before I went, as I was making arrangements. It bothered me so much that I almost changed my plans. Even Aerolineas charged more to foreigners. I found another airline that didn't.

I found a gorgeous estancia and first checked their prices on their Spanish page. The prices were within my budget so I wrote to them to make arrangements. The owner wrote back and said that foreigners had to pay more - 3X more!!!! I was no longer able to stay there. While touring I would slip money to an Argentine gentleman and ask him to buy my ticket. I would then walk in on his arm :)

Tucuman is a great place. On my first day I went to a nearby restaurant for lunch and the waiters asked me where I had learned Spanish. I told them Mexico and they said they would learn some Mexican songs to sing for me if I returned for dinner that night. I did and they came to the table and dedicated their songs to the "Mexican-Canadian" lady. We ate and drank for 4 hours but they refused to take my money. They said "no charge for friends." Of course my other friends all had to pay.

Other than that wonderful experience I will especially remember the "lifeguard type" stands on the corner in Tucuman from where a man would direct traffic at all the intersections downtown. So cute!

Did you make it to Tucuman? Salta?

What a jewel of an experience. Yes I thought the policeman in the little houses were really unique.

Yes, I had a great trip to Tucuman, An old friend of mine teaches at the University in Tucuman. I waited a few days for her classes to end for the winter break and for us to start our adventure. While in Tucuman we did not have time to see Salta. I hope to make that another trip.

When is your cruise to Peru?

What a jewel of an experience. Yes I thought the policeman in the little houses were really unique.

Yes, I had a great trip to Tucuman, An old friend of mine teaches at the University in Tucuman. I waited a few days for her classes to end for the winter break and for us to start our adventure. While in Tucuman we did not have time to see Salta. I hope to make that another trip.

No cruise planned to Peru. We hope to make a land trip there but not sure when yet. Planned to go last year but things came up. We have to see Machu Picchu before our knees totally go on us! I should have gone years ago so that I could have hiked the Inca Trail. I couldn't do it today.

Salta is an interesting area. And of course Iguassu. Everyone told me 2 or 3 days was sufficient for Iguassu but I stayed 5 nights and thought that was just about perfect. I could retire to Salta one day.

Greatam:

You mentioned this hotel in a previous post above:

I have a favorite little hotel in Miraflores-nothing fancy, but they will pick you up at the airport. Room rate is $55.00, including breakfast (very good) and airport pick up. Please ask for Luis and reserve the room on the first floor with the little patio and all the wood. Twin beds. Otherwise, you have to go upstairs. I love that little room. http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

My son is thinking of travel to Brazil to stay with a friend over New Year's, and he has a 7.5 hour layover in Lima. I'm wondering if this hotel would be a good day hotel for him to wash up, have a meal, take a nap, and then go back to the airport?

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who have posted! I have learned so much! We are booked on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas in Nov 2008. It definitely sounds like we should go back and do a land tour of Lima in order to see all the sights without rushing.

• 4 weeks later...
Gosh but this thread is mind-bending to us. So very much information and we can only see that we will be doing all of the must-don'ts to see MP.

We are booked for the '09 Statendam Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego on Jan. 10, 2009. Our only option is to do one of the the VERY expensive HAL tour from Salaverry to Cuzco/MP, and catch the ship again in Lima/Callao three days later. There are two trips, one 3k+ and the other 4k+. The more expensive does the Hiram Bingham train and feeds you well and you get to stay for a few hours after the earlier train leaves MP. Oh, the hotel in Cuzco is a 5 star and the cheaper (if you will) trip is a 4 star. We cannot risk booking a trip ourselves and I know we will be rushed, rushed, rushed on the ship's trip but if I am to see MP, this is the time to do it. We are in our 70s and healthy and active at about 1,000 feet above sea level. It is scary to me to even think of booking such a tour ourselves and I am thrilled this thread was here for us to read.

Slotl, your trip was incredible and had me on the edge of my chair the whole time. I wish we could see just one tenth of what you have seen, but this will have to do. Thanks for your report.

And thanks to Greatam for the many great posts I see on these threads. I have printed a ream of stuff from your information.

Anyone care to comment on our dilemma? Do we take the more expensive trip to MP or the standard one? Do we skip MP and do other things at Salaverry and Lima? There are a bunch of other tours but I think I would always regret missing even a rushed trip to MP. Thanks if you will comment. Liz

Sorry Liz, that was me above. I forgot to include quotes.:o

• 4 weeks later...

:cool: Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I have been reading this thread over and over. DW and I are arriving in Santiago 8 DEC 08 on the Star and leaving Santiago 15 DEC 08 on the Amsterdam. In between we would like to visit MP, Naszca and Lima.

There is so much helpful information here and our time is constrained so I thought I would put together our own side trip, but I could really use a second opinion as to the realities of travel in Peru.

My thoughts to an itinerary are:

8 Dec arrive in Santiago about noon and get a hotel, sightsee

9 Dec fly to Cuzco LA634 arriving in Cuzco 12:40 pm, enjoy some tasty coca leaf tea and relax at a hotel

10 Dec acclimate, etc

11 Dec 6:05 am vista dome Cuzco to MP, return on 15:25 train

12 Dec fly LP 024 at 07:45 to Lima, get a hotel, sightsee etc

13 Dec all day tour, with overflight to Naszca, return to hotel

14 Dec fly LA 531 at 07:30 to Santiago, get hotel

15 Dec meet transfer bus to crucero about 8:00 am

any thoughts on whether or not this is actually do-able would be much appreciated. My biggest concern is getting back to Santiago, for sure, by 08:00 on the 15th.

I've seen that a few of you on this thread have some experience in this area and hope you'll hellp us out .

thanks, Steve

I'm in the midst of my own plans for a two-week land trip to Peru, focusing on Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca. Initially we wanted to also see the Nazca Lines, but after reading about how much there is to see and do in our primary area of focus, we decided to skip the Nazca Lines this trip. My personal two cents - stay in the Cusco/Sacred Valley area. With your current schedule, you'd be skipping the Sacred Valley or sightseeing in the outlying areas of Cusco - which, I understand have some lovely places to see.

Whatever you decide, have a marvelous time both in Peru and on both your cruises.

I'm in the midst of my own plans for a two-week land trip to Peru, focusing on Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and Lake Titicaca. Initially we wanted to also see the Nazca Lines, but after reading about how much there is to see and do in our primary area of focus, we decided to skip the Nazca Lines this trip. My personal two cents - stay in the Cusco/Sacred Valley area. With your current schedule, you'd be skipping the Sacred Valley or sightseeing in the outlying areas of Cusco - which, I understand have some lovely places to see.

Whatever you decide, have a marvelous time both in Peru and on both your cruises.

I want to plan this trip too. After looking and looking and trying to plan our route, I found the EXACT itinerary I want and Tauck Tours is doing the itinerary (new in 2009) that I have been trying to plan out on my own, including Vista dome train and train to Titicaca. The only thing we would add would be a day of rafting. Of course we won't pay that price but do it on our own. It's Lima to La Paz, Bolivia.

We are currently planning a trip to Peru as well and I would agree with the above. We would love to see the "true Amazon" area around Iquitos as well. To us the Nazca Lines would be an expensive sidetrip to an otherwise less interesting area. Nice to visit if you have lots of time but if you only have 2 weeks it is not worth spreading yourself too thin.

:cool: Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I have been reading this thread over and over. DW and I are arriving in Santiago 8 DEC 08 on the Star and leaving Santiago 15 DEC 08 on the Amsterdam. In between we would like to visit MP, Naszca and Lima.

There is so much helpful information here and our time is constrained so I thought I would put together our own side trip, but I could really use a second opinion as to the realities of travel in Peru.

My thoughts to an itinerary are:

8 Dec arrive in Santiago about noon and get a hotel, sightsee

9 Dec fly to Cuzco LA634 arriving in Cuzco 12:40 pm, enjoy some tasty coca leaf tea and relax at a hotel

10 Dec acclimate, etc

11 Dec 6:05 am vista dome Cuzco to MP, return on 15:25 train

12 Dec fly LP 024 at 07:45 to Lima, get a hotel, sightsee etc

13 Dec all day tour, with overflight to Naszca, return to hotel

14 Dec fly LA 531 at 07:30 to Santiago, get hotel

15 Dec meet transfer bus to crucero about 8:00 am

any thoughts on whether or not this is actually do-able would be much appreciated. My biggest concern is getting back to Santiago, for sure, by 08:00 on the 15th.

I've seen that a few of you on this thread have some experience in this area and hope you'll hellp us out .

thanks, Steve

You plan looks fine EXCEPT:

Day 1-To prevent a possibility of NOT getting to Cusco on Day 2, you may want to take the late night flight out of SCL to LIM-arrives 12:25AM. Then take the 5:45AM flight to Cusco.

The LATER in the day you fly out of LIM and specifically on flights to Cusco after 10:00AM, the chances of landing actually get iffy. The clouds roll into Cusco mid morning. Pilots fly around and around Cusco, trying to see an opening. IF they can get on the ground safely, they do. But often you fly around and around and end up going back to Lima, to try again the following day.

The only times I have NOT been able to get into Cusco have been days I was dumb enough to book a 10:00AM or later flight. And yes, I say dumb enough because I KNOW the chances of landing are not nearly as good as the early flights.

I know what I am asking is NOT the most pleasant way to get there. Yes, more pleasant to take the early flight out of SCL. No long wait at the Lima airport between flights. BUT- you should prepare yourself if you keep this schedule that you MAY NOT make it to Cusco that day. And the early morning flights (5:40, 5:50, 6:05, 7:45 and 8:35) are usually FILLED. So rebooking the following day for an earlier flight can often present problems. If you look at LAN's schedule, you will see that they have the three flights VERY early and VERY close together. That is a function of landing capability.

IF you don't want to spend the time in the airport waiting for the Cusco flight or the schedule is just too tiring, you could easily spend the day in Lima on Day 2, THEN on Day 3 take the early flight to Cusco. My favorite little hotel in Miraflores, Hotel San Antonio Abad, will pick you up at the airport from the SCL/LIM late flight. Pickup and a very good breakfast is included in the hotel price. Return to the airport is $25.00. Then rest for a few hours, go out and see the sights of Lima and try for Cusco on the early flight on Day 3. Book my favorite little room on the first floor with all the wood and the neat little patio. If you look at the photo gallery, the room I recommend is shown in the picture taken outside, with the table and chair. The drapes are in the room-you can see the little patio which is for that room. Only drawback is single beds, but the room and the ambiance is absolutely spectacular.

http://www.hotelsanantonioabad.com/

One other suggestion

The day you get to Cusco, you are doing the right thing. Basically NOTHING. Acclimate, acclimate, acclimate. Buy coca tea from the little kiosks at the airport when you arrive, buy a bag of leaves so you can either chew or make your own tea whenever you feel like it. And drink it often for a couple of days. An early dinner/drink at Norton's Rat Tavern-second floor, overlooks the Plaza. You can sit and watch all the goings on WITHOUT having to be down on the Plaza, walking around.

But on the second day, BEFORE you go to MP, take one of the tours to the Sacred Valley. Lots of ruins, lots of scenery and the Pisac market is a not to miss (open Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday). Great buys on alpaca sweaters. You can also get them for about $10.00 on the side of the road near the Sacsayhuaman ruins(pronounced like "sexy woman". The ones in the market are more expensive and are labeled for export, but the same sweaters (90% of Peruvian alpaca sweaters are made in Puno). The BEST of the BEST of the Sacred Valley tours, IMHO, are run by the travel agency located on the second floor of the building two building to the East of the Inka Grill, which is located on the North side of the Plaza. Never can remember the name, but easy to find.

If you have further questions, please ask. I am in Cusco about 3 times per year. Just left Cusco on my first business trip this year two weeks ago Monday.

I want to plan this trip too. After looking and looking and trying to plan our route, I found the EXACT itinerary I want and Tauck Tours is doing the itinerary (new in 2009) that I have been trying to plan out on my own, including Vista dome train and train to Titicaca. The only thing we would add would be a day of rafting. Of course we won't pay that price but do it on our own. It's Lima to La Paz, Bolivia.

I don't know how you would get to LaPaz, but if it is one of the across Lake Titicaca boat trips, BE PREPARED. You will see nothing but poverty stricken parents and little kids lined up BEGGING at the boat dock (and you really feel sorry for them-they are truly poor). It is almost as bad as Cambodia (and that is REALLY bad in places). I did the trip once-never again. Not only the poor people, but the city of LaPaz is best left to 20 something back packers. Just one of those cities that I put in the "nasty, dirty, won't ever go back again" categories. Lake Titicaca is lovely-for a day trip, an overnight on Suasi Island or the overnight in a catamaran in the middle of the Lake. The crossing to La Paz-forget it. Tauck Tours is out of their mind.

Thanks for the advice, greatam and vitriol.:rolleyes:

As this is our first trip to SA, we (I) wanted to pack as much as I could into a short time, but now am thinking to scale it back a bit. The flight times add some difficulty as well. I noticed the price for the LAN tickets has gone up $200 overnight, too. The revised schedule we've come up with is something like:

08 Dec Mon - ship to SCL, store extra luggage in storage there, fly LA600 to Lima at 22:35

09 Dec Tue - LP 017 to Cuzco at 05:40, get hotel, relax, get some tea

10 Dec Wed - set up tour to Sacred Valley and Pisac Market, breathe

11 Dec Thu - visit Scared valley and Pisac

12 Dec Fri - VistaDome to MP and back

13 Dec Sat - Fly LP028 at 14:20 thru Lima to Santiago arrive at 02:45

14 Dec Sun - get hotel and probably sleep for a while

15 Dec Mon - hop shuttle to Valparaiso and ship

If I book an early flight out of CUZ, and then a second flight LIM to SCL it's a bunch more money than LP038. I think this plan leaves enough options in case of weather or other delays. I hope so.

I do have a couple of questions about Cuzco and MP... Does the train ticket include bus to MP? Do most or all hotels in Cuzco have oxygen available one way or another, and do we really need it? As for a hotel in Cuzco, DW (and I) do like our creature comforts, however the $500 per night hotels won't fly. i've been checking this thread and some of the travel sights and like hotels such as Torre Dorada, Libertador and Andina Collection. Any preferences? And which Andina did you like? How big is the language barrier in Peru? Not fluent, but I speak a little Spanish ( Mexican) and can usually convey an idea...even if I have to take the long way around to do it....will that be enough? is english spoken at least here and there in Cuzco?

Trying to compile all of the information out there for a one week's side trip has my head ready to explode, no wonder escorted tours are so popular. In the past we've found that once we're there it's usually pretty easy to figure out what we're doing so we can get where we're going, but right now it's all one big unknown.:eek: And probably the best part.

Anyway, thanks for all of the input, makes it a lot easier, Steve

Archived