Question for snorkel fans

cruzin girl

Look for a destination known for diving, the two often go hand-in-hand. Can't get much better than Bonaire. Just about any flat island will be ok. As a general rule, the more mountainous, the more rivers and the more runoff clouding the water. Though St. Johns isn't flat and the snorkeling was fine.

You can try reading dive magazine in the library, but they seem to have never met a destination they didn't like.

If you don't have your own gear, buy a cheap mask and snorkel to take with you. You don't want to know how many mouths were on the rental snorkels or noses in the masks.

The most beautiful water I've ever seen. The other ABC Islands Aruba and Curacao probably have good snorkeling as well.

My cousin sailed his ketch into Bonaire one time and said it was the only place he'd ever been where you would snorkel off the fuel dock.

As I recall, St. Lucia was pretty good and I've also seen St. Kitts/Nevis mentioned.

Bonaire is great - Aruba is very windy, and the snorkeling isn't good. Curacao isn't bad (I got certified diving there, but we did alot of snorkeling). Barbados was not good (no real coral, water rougher than I expected)...:D

Hoping over to St John is a bit of a ride. The Island is beautiful but if this is your first stop in St Thomas I would stay on the Island, you can go over to Saphire Beach or Meagans Bay (the earlier the better) save St John for another trip....Just my opinion

I would also give Barbados a try.....

We charter sailboats in St Martin and have sailed the island many times. The only problem with a cruise ship is the time allowed while in port. We too will be visiting St Martin in January 2008, but this time on RCCL. We love the town of Grand Case, French side,and a cozy little beach bisro named "Calmos Cafe". We plan on snorkleing there by "Rochier Creole", or also known as "Creole Rock". The fish were outstanding and lightly attended by swimmers. If you can't make it there, the other best choices are:Ill Pinel and Orient Point. Remember that St Martin/St Maarten beaches are topless and/or completely nude especially if visited by cruising sailboats. We love this freedom when sailing, but many American visitors are agaped when seeing this on the beaches.

I have done that itinerary twice on Adventure of the Seas. The best snorkeling on that trip is definitely St. Lucia at Anse Chastenat. You can go by boat or by taxi, but the taxi ride is approx. an hour and around and up and down the mountains which can lead to car sickness if any of your party had trouble with that. We've gone by both ways.

There is a resort at Anse Chastenat that has a black sand beach and facilities that you can use and there is also a dive shop located there.

We snorkeled on every island because that's our favorite activity. Enjoy your cruise, you will have a great time! We are leaving in 14 days for Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess and I'm so looking forward to snorkeling in French Polynesia! Best wishes for a great trip!

Marcia

I have done that itinerary twice on Adventure of the Seas. The best snorkeling on that trip is definitely St. Lucia at Anse Chastenat. You can go by boat or by taxi, but the taxi ride is approx. an hour and around and up and down the mountains which can lead to car sickness if any of your party had trouble with that. We've gone by both ways.

There is a resort at Anse Chastenat that has a black sand beach and facilities that you can use and there is also a dive shop located there.

We snorkeled on every island because that's our favorite activity. Enjoy your cruise, you will have a great time! We are leaving in 14 days for Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess and I'm so looking forward to snorkeling in French Polynesia! Best wishes for a great trip!

Marcia

You have not really snorkeled until you snorkel in the French Polynesia!!! Unbelievably stunning!!! It makes the Caribbean look dull, unfortunately. I snorkeled at the underwater coral garden in Bora Bora...breathtaking!!! Enjoy yourself.

Snorkeling is fine on some beaches in St. Thomas (try the one near Coral World but beware leaving personal things of value on the beach). We did a great snorkel catamaran trip on Barbados some years ago (on the Caribbean side, of course). St John's does have good snorkeling but if there has been a lot of wave action off of Trunk Bay, the water can be murky. Not on your itinerary but Grand Cayman has fantastic snorkeling (and diving) as well.

Out ports are: St. Thomas, St. Kitts. Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.

Sounds like we should do a hop over to St. John when we hit St. Thomas.

When I think of the So Caribbean I think of Aruba, Bonaire, etc but the cruise lines think of any itinerary that leaves out of San Juan. yes, St Johns will be your best bet for sure. St Maarten wasn't good at all. I think Barbados is fair. For really good snorkeling you need to do the Gulf of mexico cruises.

Nita

Yes I agree that the Gulf has some great snorkeling but we have did that a couple of times so we wanted to go the Southern route this time. We were rerouted the last time (hurricane) supposed to go Eastern but ended up back in the Western. It was still very fun all over again! Now you guys have me seriously thinking about Tahiti. It is not until Jan. 2009 we will be celebrating our 25th.

Cozumel has some good snorkeling off the excursion boats. You can pick them up at the docks if you choose not to take the ones offered by your ship. It is not as good as Bonaire, but lots easier to get to!

Out ports are: St. Thomas, St. Kitts. Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten.

Sounds like we should do a hop over to St. John when we hit St. Thomas.

St. Thomas has good snorkeling at Coki Beach. There are fun snorkeling excursions in St. Thomas if you want to pay the extra money. Lots of very large sea turtles in STT, easy to spot. Consider the Americas Cup Race in St Maarten. It is our favorite excursion ever.

cruzin girl,

Our CC group for August 12th are very excited and counting the days until Tahiti! We will definitely write a review and answer questions just like others have done for us. I'm hoping the 8 1/2 hour flight to Tahiti doesn't drive me crazy, but they say it's all worth it!

If you do the Southern route, the prettiest coral and fish were definitely in St Lucia. I would go back and stay on St. Lucia in a heartbeat. You'll have a great time on the southern route and I've done it 3 times now.

Marcia

Archived