Does Oceania have plans to expand the free air program?

owl61

This is not as easy to answer as it looks LHT28, because we don't have as many (if any) online discounters like you do in USA, so it's not strictly comparing apples with apples and sometimes its better to keep an eye on the travel sections in the newspapers. But, here's an example:

From major Aus online company:http://fiesta.cruisefactory.net

$3,975.00 AUD per person for Nautica Istanbul to Rome Nov 6th 2008, base per person price for an inside cabin (probably cat G)

Current price as per Oceania USA website $2299 ($2700 AUD using Oanda as of today), that's not counting the free air, which would get you a further discount if you didn't need it, plus the fact that many online sellers in USA undercut the Oceania price and give a further discount from their own margin.

That's a difference of $1275 AUD per person, before any discounting for airfare and from TA. I think that's something to get annoyed about.

By the way, I didn't put too much effort into that, it's not like I looked for an expensive option to compare to make my point, that was the first thing I clicked on.

This is not as easy to answer as it looks LHT28, because we don't have as many (if any) online discounters like you do in USA, so it's not strictly comparing apples with apples and sometimes its better to keep an eye on the travel sections in the newspapers. But, here's an example:

Thanks for the explanation in prices

I don't think Oceania cruise are discounted too much online

That is quite a difference in pricing, I see what you mean.

We are in Canada still have to deal with the exchange rate!

Lyn

II perused the Oceania online cruise contract and could not find the clause described by justgottago requiring customers to buy tickets from agents in countires where they normally reside. Care to direct me to the clause in question?

I'm not surprised that you couldn't find it. It took me 10 minutes and I started to wonder if I had imagined it.

It is in Terms and Conditions, the second paragraph under the heading: Reservations. It reads:

"United States and Canadian travel agents may only take bookings for clients from the US and Canada, holding US or Canadian passports. All other international clients must be booked through travel agencies within their respective country of residence, as designated on their passport. "

Oceania have an office (or at least an email address) in Sydney. Earlier in the year I queried the price differential similar to that quoted by Lahore a few posts back. Their explanation was that Australian prices include gratuities built in. Apparently they claim that Australians and New Zealanders are such lousy tippers that they have to be compelled to tip. I felt this explanation to be disingenuous, but it is true that tipping is not part of our instinctive behaviour. (Btw P&O who are the major player in cruising in this part of the world bill each passenger $5.70 per day for gratuities, but you can opt out.

Well that's a new one, when I rang they tried to blame advertising rates. I agree that tipping isn't part of our culture - certainly not to the same extent that it is in some other countries. Whatever the disingenuous excuse - advertising or tipping - it doesn't explain the price difference. I have no desire to supplement someone's advertising (which is utterly irrelevant to me) and I doubt that anyone tips AUD$1275 per person.

The whole culture and tipping thing is another topic, I don't want to be swayed by it (because I think it's a red herring). No doubt you agree.

Archived