confused on the new passport rules. Help

ohfan

I called Carnival for a clarification on the new Passport rules. I was told that the only requirements now for our cruise in December( Western Carribean +Honduras+Belize) are a raised seal birth certificate and a valid picture ID(drivers license). A Passport is not needed. Is that true? The US Gov site was not a big help when I looked. Thanks

While a passport currently is not required for return to the U.S. by sea, a passport is needed to return by air. In your travels, things may happen ... if for whatever reason you miss your ship in one of the ports and need to fly on to the next port of call, you may not be able to do so; should there be an emergency that requires you to return home mid-cruise by air, you will encounter lots of delays and red tape in accomplishing your repatriation. And, with respect to my first example, missing the ship in a foreign port means jumping thru the red tape and delay hoops to fly home from that country, should you choose to do so. Don't mean to be the prophet of doom ... but I think you get the picture. Seems like you have ample time to apply for and receive passports ... the peace of mind would be worth the expense IMHO.

No passport needed for cruises until Summer 2008!!! It has been repeated on these boards many times and if you google it, you can get reports from major newspapers announcing this as well as cruiseline sites. The more messed up the system gets, the further they delay the need for them. It was announced at the end of June that pp for cruising has been delayed until atleast June 08 with a 60 day notice. They are needed to fly.

Yep sailing from US cities and returning to US cities on Western Hemisphere cruises, no passports needed until Summer 2008, also for cruise passengers if flying home due to an emergency they waive the requirement for passport. This is ONLY US cities cruising Western Hemisphere.

The posts stating passports arent required in your situation are correct. Having said that, the US State Department also says that having one is preferred. Getting back into the US, even on a cruise ship, will go much faster for you with one than without. I never carried one until 2 years ago for cruising or north america travel. Now I would not leave the US without one, even if it isnt yet required.

I called Carnival for a clarification on the new Passport rules. I was told that the only requirements now for our cruise in December( Western Carribean +Honduras+Belize) are a raised seal birth certificate and a valid picture ID(drivers license). A Passport is not needed. Is that true? The US Gov site was not a big help when I looked. Thanks

what about minor children who do not have picture ids? will a birth certificate be sufficient?

Yes, under 16 do not need a government picture ID.

I ended up calling Princess just to confirm - all we need is her raised seal BC. ...phew considering we are leaving in 2 days!!!

...also for cruise passengers if flying home due to an emergency they waive the requirement for passport. ONLY US cities cruising Western Hemisphere.

I am not entirely certain that the passport requirement is waived in emergencies ... I believe one still would encounter delays and hoops to jump thru to get back home by air. Further, the Western Hemisphere includes many South American countries ... and I believe a passport would be required to fly home from most if not all of said countries.

If I didn't have a passport, I'd apply for one immediately (and probably have it by Christmas). Passports are the wave of the future, you're going to need one sooner or later -- just get one so you can stop stressing.

The biggest problem I have with these types of threads is that people are calling the cruise lines for answers that have to come from the gov't.

Cruise lines are notorious for mis-information and it is not up to them at all as to what type of identification you will need to re-enter the US.

Unfortunately, the gov't. website isn't always kept up to date and the wait time for passports is unrealistic (this year :rolleyes: ). If you plan on cruising any time after the new requirements take place and you have the luxury of time right now, get it done. I think we'll see the same fiasco later on, perhaps even worse than it has been.

So, read the gov't. site and check it again a couple weeks later, make sure you understand what you need to bring along and that you have the proper type of birth certificate, if that is what you are planning to use. If you don't have the proper ID, you can and will be denied boarding. There was a huge thread on the RCI board recently with a person furious that his friends were denied boarding because all they had were hospital issued certificates, not government issued legal birth certificates.

If I didn't have a passport, I'd apply for one immediately (and probably have it by Christmas). Passports are the wave of the future, you're going to need one sooner or later -- just get one so you can stop stressing.

This is a post I agree with 100%....and we've seen it posted here many times since 9/11/01. That the gov't. keeps backing up the date is frustrating.

There have been so very many people this year who did not heed this advice and have paid dearly this year, monetarily and emotionally.

Archived