Age barrier

Jimsgirl

Is there an age related barrier in joining a "solo" cruise ?

I ask because on all my cruises, the only "meets" of "Single/solo cruiseres" I have seen have been at 11.30p.m in the Disco type bar. so obviously they are for "swingers".

Wish the cruise line would have a meet on the first day and would set up a system for solo cruisers to get together for trips ashore.

Go on a regular shore tour and you will find a single lady like myself sitting all alone on the bus and wandering around all alone on the tour, especially if it is "an hour for shopping " .

Jimsgirl,

I've felt the same way when traveling solo. I haven't been on a cruise solo, but have taken several solo tours. Most others are couples or groups. But the few other singles on my tours were pretty weird. I didn't have much in common with them, so I made my own fun and experienced what I wanted. But it can be lonely too. One time (and I emphasize, it will only be that one time), I agreed to have an assigned roommate. It was a disaster. She was mad that I snored and I wasn't too happy that she tried to get too "friendly". I made them give me a new room.

It is fun to be with someone else who you like and have fun with. I travel as much as possible with friends, but it's hard for us to take off work at the same times. I'm going on a cruise in 2 wks with a friend, but am planning to do a solo cruise next. Just hope I won't be sitting around like a 5th wheel, because I'm not outgoing and willing to just go up to strangers and ask if I can hang around with them. I'm not interested in bars and discos - and I don't drink. I'd probably spend alot of time just relaxing alone - hopefully not too lonely though. :(

Beachyfe,

My last cruise was solo. I met people from my roll call, but none of them seemed to want to pal around. I met people all over the ship, but had the most success having lunch in the dining room. At the lunch hour (on Carnival), you are seated with different people every day. I am 34 years old, but I some of the most fun "senior" ladies ever!! I have kept in touch with them and we are all going on another cruise together in November.

Don't get me wrong, the first day or two, I had some rough moments. When that realization hit me that I was all alone for 8 days!! In the end, it was a fun, relaxing cruise.

I probably would never have gone on a cruise alone, but my then boyfriend was a crew member. It turned out to be a good experience. Just be open, go to lots of activities, and keep a smile.

Good luck.

On my last 2 HAL cruises, there was a single/solo cruisers lunch. This was done most sea days. Those interested would assemble at the DR entrance at the time listed in the daily program. A crew member would request a table based on the number of passengers in attendance.

It was a lot of fun, and a non-threatening way to meet other singles/solos. If nothing else, it was company for lunch.

Roz

Not sure what you mean by an 'age related barrier' to cruising solo. Like others on these boards I have travelled solo on tours and cruises. I'm thinking that the cruise lines don't do much for us to make life easier because there are not that many cruisers travelling solo. I have read that on the longer cruises, when there are more solos, the cruise director's staff has more activities for those travelling alone.

For me, one of the best things about travelling solo on cruises is all I need to do is show up. Usually I sign up for the ship's excursions and have had pretty good experiences. During the 'shopping time' on many of these tours I've enjoyed walking around on my own, shopped a bit (I like looking around in grocery and drug-type stores) and tried to talk to the locals.

Most of my cruises have been 7-11 nights. Roz, that's good to know that HAL set up a plan for solos to dine in the dining room for lunch on sea days.

Faith

Roz,

I would much rather have a solo lunch get-together than a cocktail-type "meet & greet" since I don't drink. And I'm in my 50's and not looking for a hot date or other things that the 20-somethings are when they want to meet other singles. Maybe sailing on HAL would be a better option than other lines.

On all the cruises I have done solo (3 to date), there has been a solo meet on the first sea day at about 11 AM - with 'champagne' or orange juice. This is usually about 3/4 of an hour with the CD trying to get people to mingle (I usually just end up talking to one person so I am a bit difficult in that respect) - most of the entertainment team (& on QE2 the gentlemen hosts) participate so you can meet them. Then on subsequent days there are, usually smaller, coffee meets - usually hosted by just one of the ents team.

I always make the effort to go to the first to see who's around. I have been to one or two of the coffee ones but I am usually out on deck relaxing after breakfast at that time:D

One thing I did like, on Oceana (P+O) was that they had a get together just before the captains welcome party, so we could all go in together.:)

Karen

I think I do have an age problem, every one writing is in the 20-50 age groups.

Alas I am MUCH OLDER. If I were 30 I could "sit at the bar on a stool": dance at the disco at 11.30", " rope swing through the rain forest tree tops" etc. I cannot do these things, I am just too old for these antics.

Recently on a cruise I looked around at people my age, oh lord, most of the males, had "beer bellies" and were sitting in armchairs snoring with their mouths open. The women were either playing Bingo, or sharing photographs of "their darling grandchildren - they call me Gan Gan" or discussing their "operations"

Schhshsch, it was just like the condo complex I live in!.

Are there any Senior Solo cruises?

Jimsgirl: I'm in my mid 50s (god that hurts LOL) but the most fascinating person I've ever met was actually a set of twins in their late 70s. We met at lunch and met up by plan several more times during the cruise. Please don't automatically assume that ladies in their 50s are zip lining or dancing until the wee hours. Many of us enjoy sitting and chatting about a wide range of subjects or playing cards etc. I haven't found any kind of age barrier unless you are talking about the younger singles crowd. But even they have to take a "rest" now and then and can be pretty entertaining. Have a super cruise.

You are not too old for anything that you find enjoyable. The ladies that I met on the cruise were waaaay past 50 and they were more active than I was on the cruise! They sang karaoke and went dancing every day. I didn't ask their ages, but I'd venture to guess that they were in their 60's and 70's.

And you also shouldn't assume that all young people are swingers who are looking for a hook-up. Young people on a ship alone are looking for the same thing that you are----companionship, someone to have a conversation with. So, be open minded and you might find a new friend. :)

I think that the problem may be that the cruise lines set the meet and greets up for single not necessarly solo cruisers. There is a definate diference.

Traveler353,

I agree with you. I am mid-50s, very active. I am also quite comfortable alone, so I am not really looking for companionship on a cruise. I have cruised solo only 1 time, but have traveled all over the world solo [Africa 3 times, for example]. I usually cruise with my best friend of 40+ years. She always wants to go to the singles meetings, which are not my cup of tea. However, I often do excursions alone even when cruising with her, as we have different interests. Also we enjoy sharing info about what we did on the excursions later while dining. But I guess what I am saying is I just do not need to know someone on the excursion to enjoy it.

My next cruise will be a long one to Antartica and I am going solo. I certainly would be happy to meet anyone on the ship, single or in a group, with whom to dine or share a cocktail and good conversation, but I just am not really looking for other than that.

I have found the single/solo cruisers to be at the two ends of the spectrum age-wise--either 20s swingers or 70s. Nothing wrong with either group! Also nothing wrong with being comfortable alone and not attending singles mixers!

I've only cruised twice - both on Princess and both as a solo. On each cruise, on the first full day there was a get together for solo travelers. It was not a singles function it was specifically for those traveling alone. We did meet at a bar - but, it was mid-day (I think we had champagne). Although, it was at one of the ship's bars, it really wasn't a drinking/pick-up kind of function.

We introduced ourselves and just had a nice chat about the ship and the various events that were scheduled for the week. It was a good way to meet some of the ship's staff and ask questions. I guess I was memorable because the staff seemed to remember me and stopped to chat whenever we passed each other throughout the week.

There were only a handful of people at each meeting. And, it amazed me how many of those attending the "solo" function were actually traveling with others - in fact, sharing a cabin with a friend or family member. On my last cruise there were two gals that showed up (ages mid-30s to low-40s) they were traveling together and sharing a cabin. I think they thought it was supposed to be a singles function - they seemed to disappointed that there weren't more men there.

Of the folks that showed up to the solo get togethers, the ages were mid-30-70+

I've only cruised twice - both on Princess and both as a solo. On each cruise, on the first full day there was a get together for solo travelers. It was not a singles function it was specifically for those traveling alone. We did meet at a bar - but, it was mid-day (I think we had champagne). Although, it was at one of the ship's bars, it really wasn't a drinking/pick-up kind of function.

We introduced ourselves and just had a nice chat about the ship and the various events that were scheduled for the week. It was a good way to meet some of the ship's staff and ask questions. I guess I was memorable because the staff seemed to remember me and stopped to chat whenever we passed each other throughout the week.

There were only a handful of people at each meeting. And, it amazed me how many of those attending the "solo" function were actually traveling with others - in fact, sharing a cabin with a friend or family member. On my last cruise there were two gals that showed up (ages mid-30s to low-40s) they were traveling together and sharing a cabin. I think they thought it was supposed to be a singles function - they seemed to disappointed that there weren't more men there.

Of the folks that showed up to the solo get togethers, the ages were mid-30-70+

I'm early 50s. I've been wanting to try Princess, and it's very interesting to learn that they make a distinction between "solo" and "single." One more point in their favor!

I've been to many "meet & greets" for singles on various ships, and typically find myself the only one alone in a room full of couples, whether traveling together like roommates, or lovers who aren't married. The former's OK because they're available to make new friends, but pairs of lovers in my book don't qualify as "single" or "solo" and I wonder what they're looking for.

That said, I've had much better luck finding the true solos sitting at the bars, particularly the men. They feel uncomfortable taking up a whole table.

Also, I sit at bars to let people know I'm solo. I don't always drink. Sometimes I order a Coke. I've found other solos will speak to you at the bar when they'd never dream of approaching you seated at a table.

On the cruise ship, the notion that "only floozies sit at the bar" doesn't apply (I'd NEVER sit at a bar alone at home). If nothing else, I make friends with the bartender and get a nice welcome whenever I drop by.

I think I do have an age problem, every one writing is in the 20-50 age groups.

Alas I am MUCH OLDER. If I were 30 I could "sit at the bar on a stool": dance at the disco at 11.30", " rope swing through the rain forest tree tops" etc. I cannot do these things, I am just too old for these antics.

Recently on a cruise I looked around at people my age, oh lord, most of the males, had "beer bellies" and were sitting in armchairs snoring with their mouths open. The women were either playing Bingo, or sharing photographs of "their darling grandchildren - they call me Gan Gan" or discussing their "operations"

Schhshsch, it was just like the condo complex I live in!.

Are there any Senior Solo cruises?

First of let me say that you are as old as you think you are. That being said I am 68 going on 17 and happy for it. I will agree that sometimes being a solo amongst couples is not the best of times but then again, I do not have to go or do anything that I do not wish to do. Being a male solo cruiser (without a beer belly) I love to dance , chat up whomever happens to be in conversation distance or simply people watch. Lots of fun particularly on ships such asthe QE2 and I am sure HAL.

SO, go and make your own fun. People will be envious

I think the age thing might be more with the mass market lines such as RCCI, Carnival and the like. I've never been on a solo cruise where the singles meet and greet was late at night---it's always been either in the late morning or early afternoon. I'm not one who is comfortable on those huge mega ships----I feel like nothing more than just a face in a huge crowd. I tend more towards smaller ships, such as Celebrity. They are not overcrowded and it's easier to meet people on ships with less passengers. Plus, I've found that lines that cater more to families tend not to have all that many mature single cruisers.

I was reading this thread and wanted to comment that I understand completely with the challenges of being a solo cruiser. I am taking my third solo cruise in November of this year. I found the perfect line for a 50 something solo woman traveler - Seabourn Cruise lines. Most of the travelers on Seabourn are older. Why? It's a small ship; the maximum passenger load is 208. Families and younger people generally avoid Seabourn because there is precious little to do that is really interesting to kids or 20, 30-somethings; no discos, no bar scene to speak of. It's understated, elegant, in the "slow lane".

My success at traveling solo with this line comes from a few things; that the passengers on Seabourn are incredibly friendly, that every night as a solo woman I get an invitation to a table hosted by a different officer or crew member (as do couples on the cruise), and I am a scuba diver, so most of the time, that is my "shore excursion" in the Caribbean. I always have something to talk to people about ("what? did you see any sharks??!!"), and the other passengers on Seabourn are extremely well traveled and charming. Seabourn caters to every passenger, whether they are old, young, tall, short, male, female, married, single, or whatever you are. It's been my experience they bend over backwards to make sure you love your cruise. That is why I keep going back!

Jane

Jane, I would have to concur with you on Seabourn. My very first solo cruise was on Seabourn in 1995 in the Med, and I've now done more than 20 solo cruises. While Seabourn, and Crystal for that matter, do a great job with mature solo passengers, unfortunately not all can afford their prices. Even with their much lower single supplements, lines like Seabourn and Crystal are out of the economic reach of many mature solos. Unless you can come across a really great sale on those lines, which does happen, they are really quite expensive.

It might be nice if the cruise lines would put up a bulletin board or something prior to the solo/singles get-together so those interested could post a note saying they were looking for someone to have lunch with, or shop awhile with or whatever. A little info about age and interests could be included in the note and anyone interested could post a note of their own in response. No cabin numbers, no names, no info that could result in unwanted attention from anyone.

Although I'm single, I've always cruised with family members. I'm throwing my hat in the ring and have booked my first solo cruise in Oct. 2008 aboard the Mariner. Would I welcome someone joining me for a lunch or two during my cruise? Yes! Would I enjoy a little conversation while sitting out on deck some evening? Yes? Do I want a constant companion for the entire cruise. No way!

BTW - I'm a 58-year-old female who usually has one foo-foo drink each day of my cruise (I'm not into the bar/disco scene, nor am I interested in finding the love of my life). I love good conversation with either a man or woman but I also value my quiet time alone with my thoughts. It would be fun to go on an excursion or two with another like-minded cruiser, but I really prefer to shop by myself.

Jimsgirl - I agree with the other posters that roll calls can be very beneficial but as most of us know, cruisers generally come in couples. Still, many are more than happy to include a solo cruiser in their activities - just ask.

Happy cruising!

Cindy

I was reading another thread concerning teenagers on board. The woman's son thought he was the only one on board. He approached the CD, the CD arranged a get together and turns out there were 30 teenagers on board. Next time I am on a cruise solo, maybe I will try this approach....couldn't hurt. Maybe the CD could arrange a special tea or coffee time for solos.

Is there an age related barrier in joining a "solo" cruise ?

I ask because on all my cruises, the only "meets" of "Single/solo cruiseres" I have seen have been at 11.30p.m in the Disco type bar. so obviously they are for "swingers".

Wish the cruise line would have a meet on the first day and would set up a system for solo cruisers to get together for trips ashore.

Go on a regular shore tour and you will find a single lady like myself sitting all alone on the bus and wandering around all alone on the tour, especially if it is "an hour for shopping " .

Which cruises/lines have you sailed and which are you scheduled for?

Have you tried the Roll Call for your cruise?

Martha

Maybe you can take a cue from my 96 yr. old father-in-law who loves to cruise. The man is very fit and looks like he's about 80! Even though he doesn't consume alcohol, he likes to go to the large lounges on a ship where there is usually dancing in the evening (he does dance to the smooth sounds) and he sits there. He does this periodically throughout the day and never fails to find females to talk to. Of yes, he's done just about everything in life a person can do, so he's an interesting guy to be around.

Which cruises/lines have you sailed and which are you scheduled for?

Have you tried the Roll Call for your cruise?

Martha

I have cruised, Crystal, Seaborne,Celebrity,RCC, NCL (before it became "no rules"), HAL, Princess, QE2.

Have a B2B booked on QM2 for Oct, another 10 day on her for April and the Mercury 14 days in Oct 2008.

An 81 yr old great grandmother sitting on a bar stool, still seems wrong to me.and singing into a mike with my voice !!!!!!! Oh no it would be run for your lives - abandon ship.!

Kitty 9 is correct, I loved Crystal, especially the Harmony, but now I simply cannot afford the "luxury". Was going to do Crystal in 2008, but add on the cost of air fare , one night in a hotel, transport to port etc, and it was just too expensive ,

Celebrity is my cruise line of choice now , but for 2007 and 2008 the cruises are less than good , for instance Fall through to Spring, they used to do USA R/T Hawaii and back, but this year fall 2007 to Spring 2008 not one single R/T cruise , earliest is Fall of 2008 an even that is one cruise fits all take or leave it.

Archived