Farm visit in Chile, Argentina, or Uruguay?

Cruzer Two

During our Holland America cruise from Santiago to Rio this coming January three very similar farm excursions are offered in three different countries. All include displays of horsemanship and lunch with wine.

These include:

Puerto Montt - Traditions of Chile

Buenos Aires - Best of Argentina

Montevideo - A Gaucho's Life

We would like to do one of these tours, but each one comsumes the entrie day and leaves little time for anything else during the port call. Perhaps the best way to decide is to pick a port when there are not too many other options. Does anyone have strong opinions one way or another about any of these tours.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron, we did the same cruise last year. While we didn't do a farm excursion the port where you might miss the least if you did a whole day tour out of town IMO would be Montevideo. We liked it the least. IMO:) :D :) :D

I agree with eh2zed.

Let me first start off by saying that there is too many other thngs to see in Buenos Aires than to spend the day at a horse farm.

When we were in Montevideo we had a complimentary tour through our cruise line which was a half day at the horse races. It was wonderful. But, when we got back to the ship we didn't go back in the port. The area by the port is not good and we just were concerned in terms of safety so we thought it best to stay on the ship. So, I'm thinking that this would be a nice place to do the horse farm visit. The locals we met were very nice so I'm sure you will have a great time there. So, I would recommend this port for that.

Keith

I agree with eh2zed, We did a HAL cruise from Valparaiso to Rio a few years ago and did the estancia excursion from Buenos Aires and enjoyed it. In retrospect, given our experience in Uruguay, I would do the Gaucho excursion from Montevideo, I think that there are too many other good choices in Bueno Aires and Puerto Montt than spending the day on the ranch. In Uruguay, we had a brief city tour of Montevideo and then off to Punta del Este---it was just ok.

Have a great cruise!

Ron, we did the same cruise last year. While we didn't do a farm excursion the port where you might miss the least if you did a whole day tour out of town IMO would be Montevideo. We liked it the least. IMO:) :D :) :D

Thanks very much for the feedback. That was my main concern with these farm excursions - they consume the entire time in port.

Which ship sponsored excursion did you do in Montevideo?

I would be interested in hearing about some of the ship sponsored tours you took in Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Stanley, and Buenos Aires. We are doing private tours in Santiago, Ushuaia, and Rio.

Any information would be appricated.

Thanks,

Ron

I agree with eh2zed, We did a HAL cruise from Valparaiso to Rio a few years ago and did the estancia excursion from Buenos Aires and enjoyed it. In retrospect, given our experience in Uruguay, I would do the Gaucho excursion from Montevideo, I think that there are too many other good choices in Bueno Aires and Puerto Montt than spending the day on the ranch. In Uruguay, we had a brief city tour of Montevideo and then off to Punta del Este---it was just ok.

Have a great cruise!

Bill, thanks for you input as well. What excursions did you do in Bueno Aires and Puerto Montt?

Ron

Ron: in Buenos Aires we did the all day estancia excurision-at least 2 hours on the bus each way. We were going to take the excursion in Puerto Montt that included a stop in Fruitilar (sp?), but the day before we put-in to Puerto Montt, I took ill and the ship's doctor strongly recommended that we stay on-board during our stay in Puerto Montt. We were only able to see the town and Mt, Orsano from the ship. :(

Archived