Trinidad Tobago

nosmothj

That is the same email address I used for my original contact with him and he did reply saying I was booked. But then I sent him another one asking about times, etc. (several weeks ago) and have yet to hear back from him. So not sure whether it's a definite booking or not.:( Hope you have better luck!

We will also be on the Grand Feb. 13th and will visit Trinidad.

I was thinking of taking the Port of Spain Highlights and Cultural Show,

but became a little concerned about our safety after reading so many reviews about the crime.

It seems that you never felt concerned. Is that true?:)

I'm assuming you refer to one of the ship's tours.

As a rule, ship's tours are organized packages

where you hop in a coach inside the Port's secure zone

and are whisked to your various island spots 'in a bubble' almost.

You have no reason to fear anything!

This is what ship's tours are for...the 'dodgy' ports.

For non-dodgy ports, you DIY (Do It Yourself)

Take the tour. You'll be just fine,trust me: I go to Trinidad all the time

rent my own car at the airport, drive myself in to Town, drive myself everywhere, have nooo problems.

Of course (like NYC and Detroit) I know where not to go. :cool:

And so does your tour operator.

• 1 month later...

The other choice for a day in Tobago (if you don't want to go to the Pigeon Point) is to go directly across the island to Arnos Vale beach. It's beautiful, there are beach facilities that belong to the hotel there, and it's situated in the middle of a nature reserve. The snorkelling from the beach there is second to none. There's a dive centre on the beach that rents snorkelling equipment if you don't have your own. In the afternoon, the hotel does an afternoon tea which is - and there are hundreds of different species of them!!

The other choice for a day in Tobago (if you don't want to go to the Pigeon Point) is to go directly across the island to Arnos Vale beach. It's beautiful, there are beach facilities that belong to the hotel there, and it's situated in the middle of a nature reserve. The snorkelling from the beach there is second to none. There's a dive centre on the beach that rents snorkelling equipment if you don't have your own. In the afternoon, the hotel does an afternoon tea which is - and there are hundreds of different species of them!!

Are the facilities available for non hotel visitors- chairs, restrooms etc. Any idea of how much the cab fare would be. Is it easy to find a cab for the return trip, or can we arrange with the driver for the return ( and not pay until the end)

Thanks

Carnival in Trinidad is a two day event. Carnival Monday usually starts around 10AM until 6 or 7pm. Carnival Tuesday starts around 7am and ends around 9 or 10pm. If your in Trinidad for Carnival you will definitely want to see the parade on Tuesday. Monday, masqueraders are usually not in full costume. Tuesday is when people participating in Carnival are dressed head to toe in full costume For more info check out www.visittnt.com

Are the facilities available for non hotel visitors- chairs, restrooms etc. Any idea of how much the cab fare would be. Is it easy to find a cab for the return trip, or can we arrange with the driver for the return ( and not pay until the end)

Thanks

In all honesty, I've no idea how much the taxi fare would be as I don't get taxis!! :( However, it shouldn't be horrendously expensive. I'd expect around US$10 - 15 at most each way. Make sure you pre-agree a price with the driver before you get into the car, and make sure he's quoting you in US$ and not TT$! There are roughly six TT$ to the US$. It would definitely be a better bet to arrange the same driver to collect you to return to the ship, however, as Arnos Vale is off the beaten track, so you're unlikely to have taxis just stopping there. Whether he'll let you not pay until the end or not, would be entirely up to the individual driver. I'm guessing not, but they're usually reliable!

The hotel has beach chairs and a bar and restrooms you can use. The hotel generally wouldn't have any problems with you using the facilities as long as you're not bringing in food and drink from outside.

What would be the taxi fare to Pigeon Point Beach? Is there good snorkeling at this beach?

If you wanted to see some natural sights other than beach, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi!

The snorkelling at Pigeon Point is virtually non-existent, I'm afraid! You may see a few very small fish, at best, but nothing noteworthy. To look at, however, Pigeon Point is great. It's been used as backdrops to rum adverts as it's everyone's idea of what a Caribbean beach SHOULD look like, with white sand, palm trees, etc.

As far as taxi fare... I'm guessing - and it is only a guess - around US$12. Make sure you pre-agree a price before getting into a taxi and, if possible, agree a time for him to pick you up to take you back. There is a taxi rank at Pigeon Point, but I'd err on the side of caution and make sure that you've one booked, just in case.

I'd recommend the mytobago.info website for general information on things to do and see. There's quite a list, and mostly it would depend on what sort of things appeal to you, personally.

Lisa

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We took the Buccoo Reef Tour with Yes Tourism for $30 per person. It was a very economical excursion. Our driver picked us up and gave us some information about the island while we drove to Pigeon Point. The glass bottom boats are pretty low end but since it is a poorer country it is understandable. Our guide showed us different coral. We saw small fish, a sting ray, and a small octopus! The snorkeling isn't the greatest but we still had a great time. We stopped on a sand bar and chased the pelicans and gulls off of it so we could explore. My son found a huge conch shell. We left it since you cannot remove anything from the island. We went on to Nylon Pool-beautiful! I must say our guide was so kind. There was a lady in her 70s that had very bad arthristis. She had a difficult time walking but wanted to experience everything everyone else did. More power to her, I say! That guide helped her several times to get into and out of the boat...truly amazing!

Archived