What Is The "Cruise Hook' For You?

advocado

To some, cruising is an addiction. Time is measured from the date of the last cruise to the date of the next. This is borne out by the many posts I have read on this forum (countdown clocks, included) and by the numerous books published on the subject. This realization gave me pause. What is there about cruise life that can make it so compelling to so many diverse people? In my view, it is not simply the opportunity to visit exotic ports of call. Indeed, there are other, usually less expensive ways to get to those places. Moreover, many port stays are of such short duration that you can barely get a taste of the place before you must get back aboard your ship. Certainly, some places -- such as Alaska and Panama Canal -- practically require a cruise ship to experience in only a week or two. Those, however, seem to be the exception. While satisfactory to many, I suspect that for most, the ports of call are but a small part of the "hook".

For me, cruising represents a complete abandonment of responsibility while simultaneously enjoying the pleasure of being pampered. Often, the toughest decision of the day is "What am I going to have for dinner?" Someone else cleans your room and does your laundry. Another brings meals to your cabin. If you want to stash away your alarm clock and sleep in, you do it. On formal nights you play dress up and put on your fanciest clothes. You look your best. All the while, you are blessed with ocean vistas and the beautiful sunsets. That's the "hook" for me.

I was wondering how others felt. Have I just stated the obvious, or is there more to it?

It took me years to get DH to go on a cruise. We did all those bus, train, plane etc tours through Europe, Hawaii, etc. I got sick of living out of a suitcase!!

Once I got him on a ship he was sold!! Unpacked once, visited many places, didn't have to try and hunt a place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Didn't have to worry about setting a clock to get ready for the next day's travels.

As far as dressing up - we always had to before we retired for many functions and we still love to dress up.

I just love being taken care of. No cooking, cleaning, laundry - Yipee!

You get to see so many differant places, you only have to unpack once and you're good to go.

My husband wasn't too interested, but changed his mind after our first cruise to the Caribbean. Sitting up on deck at midnight having a goodnight cocktail under the stars. That's how we celebrated our twentieth anniversary. After that he was sold.

Ahoy,

I agree with your intial assessment overall but our 'main hook', as it were, is the number of sea days available during a particular cruise. The first thing I do is count the number of actual sea days and it's offspring, i.e. the so-called crusing rivers days, fjords, crossing the equator days, etc. We prefer longer cruises anymore but try to avoid those that have several port days in a row (it becomes a little to 'busy' for us regardless of the itinerary). My 'dream' cruise would include 3-5 sea days, #2 ports, 1-2 sea days, #2-3 ports, 2-3 sea days, etc. I'd also like to stay in a port for more then 8 hours in some cases as expressed in an earlier post.

Just my opinion.

In any event, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

For me, the hook is what I call the "forced relaxation" of a cruise. On a land vacation, I usually feel compelled to fill every waking minute with sightseeing. On a cruise, I have to be back onboard for a relaxing, leisurely dinner. And then there are those sea days for more forced relaxation.

And - you can't beat a cruise for getting away from it all. When at sea, I don't know exactly where I am - and I don't care. I'm reachable in a genuine family or work emergency - but it's not easy. Perfect! :cool:

For me it's the combination of all of it: the pampering; the relaxing effect of being surrounded, and gently rocked, by the ocean; the convenience of only having to unpack once; the guiltless leisure of sea days; the civilized, convivial atmosphere; and the convenience of having all of one's meals - including room service breakfast! :D - included in the price.

We talked about "taking a cruise" for a while, but I was the wet blanket (time on a ship? got the tee shirt).

Thought to surprise DW with a cruise for her 50th our 25th as Maasdam was sailing from here and prices/itinerary were amazing.

We loved the whole (imperfect) experience and have added it as another arrow to our vacation quiver. So far one a year, but maybe 2 next year.

Cheers

Mark

For me ....

the #1 reason I love to cruise is that I am always and forever drawn to the sea.

#2 is all the amazing friends we have made over our 25 years of cruising who are part of our lives to this day (and almost all of them met when sharing a table during "traditional" dining:) )

#3 is the ease of travelling from one place to another without packing a single thing.

#4 is the peaceful feeling I experience watching the the bow cutting through the water toward the horizon beyond and the magnificent dome of sky overhead.

There's just nothing like it.

Yes. All of that, with a special focus on the complete relaxation. Away from the telephone (and I do sincerely hope it will stay that way.) No worries. Doing something every other kid on the block doesn't do.

For me ....

the #1 reason I love to cruise is that I am always and forever drawn to the sea.

Heather.....I was searching for the words until I read your post.....you have said perfectly what I feel.

I love to sit on the balcony or stand on the deck and look out to sea. There is something in that vast expanse of blue that always seems to calm me and make me realize just how small my problems really are. I never tire of it.

I love the convenience of unpacking once and seeing new places, but it's floating around at sea that gets me the most. It's almost like being in a time warp.....the whole world goes on about it's business while we sail off into a fantasy and leave reality behind.

It might not be for everyone, but it works for me.

All of the above! Relaxation, sea, great meals, etc.

For years and years, DH and I travelled all over Europe, Northern Africa, , the United States and Canada. We camped in a tent, in a trailer tent, in a 25 foot Airstream, in a 35 foot Airstream. We stayed in B & B's, "pensions", motels, hotels of the 2,3,4 & 5 star variety. We have taken all inclusive vacations to Bali, Thailand, etc. In short, we've done a lot and enjoyed it all for various reasons.

But the hook that has us love cruising, apart from all the goodies you stated is that we can be apart and we can be together. We can each do our own thing on our own time. DH can get up early, have a swim,go up to the Crow's Nest to enjoy the view ; I can lie abed, have breakfast served to me, go for a cooking lesson , knit a bit. We can meet up for lunch in the Lido if we choose. Otherwise, one of us can go to the Lido for lunch while the other goes to the dining room. Or we can have lunch served to our stateroom.

We can even choose our excursions separately. For example, DH dearly wanted to go over a glacier in a helicopter and stand on the top of a glacier. There's no way I want to pay extra for snow. Hey, I have more than enough of it around here. So, in Alaska,he flew over the glaciers while I attended a lecture by Susan Butchard, a winner of the Iditerod. Both of us were thrilled with out day.

Don't take all of this to mean that we do not enjoy each other's company. We do. We always request a table for two---not that we aren't sociable but we do love to share our day's experiences with each other over a long, languid meal. That's why we always request late seating. It suits our style.

And of course we do lots of things together; we tangoed in Buenos Aires, visited each of Pablo Neruda's homes in Chile, etc. The point is that cruising allows us the freedom of choice.

Plus, another hook is some of the ports: there aren't too many opportunities to stop in Gambia and Senegal otherwise thanon a cruise (and we really don't want a prolonged land tour to Africa--Kenya excepted).

This is a fun thread. So many reasons for cruising, each of them a winner. Guess that's why there are so many cruise lines with so many offerings. Different strokes.....

And each person's reasons are the right ones. This is a win-win thread....at last!

As a solo traveller, cruising offers the chance to see wonderful ports during the day, usually on my own, and then to come back and have company for dinner. I have done some land touring, but it does get lonely at mealtimes. Also for me, the sea is a great draw - I even enjoy the 1 1/2 hour ferry trips to Vancouver Island.

I love the ocean, tropical warm places, traveling in comfort, reading a good book in the shade, good food, waking up and watching the sun rise over the ocean, gliding along in tropical water next to a seaturtle, diving in the tropics in general (California water is sooooo cold), being on boats (I know - it's a ship, but it'll do!), planning an exciting vacation and so many more things that cruising fits neatly in with.

We took our last cruise 10 years ago on Carnival Holiday and while I had a great time my then pregnant wife did not, so I am so excited to reintruduce her to cruising in comfort and style! Hopefully it takes!

Having only one cruise under my belt, at this time I would have to say that my FAVORITE part was the total lack of having to make any decisions. It was truly the most relaxing vacation I have ever had. No traffic or parking problems....no maps to read....the only thing to even think about was what to do at meal time. All the "hard" work was being done for me!

Shari

I think the "hook" for us was the dining issue. My mom, my sister and I travel together at least once a year. Until we discovered cruising dinner was always such a huge ordeal. My sister is vegetarian, with other diet restrictions as well, and it seems we spent hours researching where to dine, checking out the menu, only to discover that half the time it was certainly not our definition of a good dining venue. Enter cruising - oh yeahhhh!! Dining is taken care of, she always finds wonderful things to eat and the waiters spoil her to death. That means the rest of the vacation is -- well, a vacation. To sit on the balcony and see nothing but water or at times a faint little speck that you know is a tiny island, or sitting on the balcony as we sail into a new port early in the morning - now that's a "hook"

For me this answer is very simple. Cruises get me away from the hustle of my everyday life. No other vacation gets me away like a cruise does. I LOVE the ocean and to sit in the middle on a ship watching the ocean go by is as relaxing as can be. To be honest I really do not care too much for the places it goes, my main interest is the ship itself so the more sea days the better. Now that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the ports because I do and many are exciting as well but first is the ocean and to get away. I get home as relaxed as can be.

One cruise on the Oosterdam my DW and I had a verandah cabin. I think I sat on the verandah every chance I got. One night my DW comes out at 3 am wondering what happened to me. I was sleeping like a baby out there with the wind and moon and ocean... Now that was heaven for me. She thought I fell off...

Nobby

I love being on board a ship. :)

Simply and truly expressed, Ekerr. Ships delight my senses. I love the look and sound and feel of them, whether they're sailing ships or grand liners. I like to learn their specifications and histories like a sports fan learns baseball statistics. Best of all is being fortunate enough to actually sail on a ship; to lean on the railing and just revel in the moment.

If I had read this thread yesterday, it would have been too much to bear, because for about 18 hours it looked like I would have to cancel both of our upcoming cruises. But the crisis has passed, and I can happily respond to this happiest of threads.

Cruising has always represented a return to earlier times for me. Being at sea, the smell and feel of the ocean, the peace and quiet while on one's balcony can be sheer bliss.

Dressing for dinner and other time honored traditions of cruising have always been special to me. This is, sadly, changing, and I am afraid cruising is no longer the total pleasure it once was, at least for me.

Cruising has always represented a return to earlier times for me. Being at sea, the smell and feel of the ocean, the peace and quiet while on one's balcony can be sheer bliss.

Dressing for dinner and other time honored traditions of cruising have always been special to me. This is, sadly, changing, and I am afraid cruising is no longer the total pleasure it once was, at least for me.

I agree. Though I have not cruised extensively, I have done so enough to recognize the changes. I remember when formal nights were just that. Formal. Almost without exception, every passenger dressed for the occasion. No one viewed it as a chore. I remember tours of the engine room and access to the bridge. I recall the questionnaire before departure asking how you wanted your bar stocked. As time progresses it seems that we find ourselves compromising more and more. Heck...look at flying (and I'm not talking about the post 9/11 misery we must go through to get on a plane). I'm certain many of us old geezers remember when flying commercial was a dress up occasion and lost luggage was a rarity. Notwithstanding, I still love settling in to my cabin, popping the cork on the champagne and being thoroughly content as we sailed away. My only real complaint is that someone is annually shrinking my tuxedo... ;)

We just love being on a ship! We especially love the days at sea just sitting on deck watching the water go by. Time for lots of reading and relaxation. You unpack once and just enjoy every minute on board a HAL ship. You can't beat the pampering by the wonderful staff. Nothing like it!!!!

On a couple of repeat cruises we have taken, we actually didn't even get off the ship. Just enjoyed all the activies and amenities the ship was offering. Now we are seriously contemplating what other cruises we want to schedule for 2008 besides the Amazon Adventure in November.

Archived