Air Tran Vets

dusababy

I need to arrive FLL day before my cruise in January.

Have flight options -- Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale

American -- non stop departing LAX - 7 AM !! Yikes! That means pick up at home about 4:30 AM.

Delta -- connecting through Atlanta with two hour layover - tolerable departure time but still, not easy.

Air Tran -- connecting through Atlanta -- departing LAX noon, two hour layover -- arriving FLL 10:55 PM

Air Tran is half the price of others.

Read much on these boards about Delta and Atlanta -- Delta aging planes, poor service, lost luggage, changing schedules.

Anyone experienced with Air Tran's planes, service, reliability, baggage? connections -- ???

Would love to hear your experience -- thanks in advance.

Have you checked pricing into MIA for the same day? Also look into PBI (West Palm Beach).

Assuming you are flying on January 12th, you can get a Continental one-stop flight for $130 via Houston Intercontinental into West Palm Beach. It departs at 8am and gets in at 5:34pm (there are actually several flight options on Continental all for $130). Or how about United or US Airways for $138 via Charlotte into West Palm Beach with a 9am departure and 7:56pm arrival.

I normally recommend going for nonstops if at all possible, especially in winter, where winter weather can affect your connecting cities (and yes, Atlanta can be affected by winter weather).

I'd also be more upset about getting in that late at night than leaving early in the morning.

AirTran however does have a better reputation than Delta and American at this point.

7 am flihgt are good for you! <grin>

Seriously, let me agree with the prior poster: connecting flights more than double the chances of something going wrong. Missed connection, misrouted luggage. Atlanta gets winter weather and does not handle it at that well.

I might consider the AirTran flight IF there is at leat one more flight that day.

BTW, isn't there a non-stop AA flight that leaves at 9:15 am? (#262) and another one that leaves at 8-something am?

Paul

AirTran is my line of choice. They rank second or third in service. Delta 12 or 13th. FAA ranks AirTran as BEST in baggage handling. Planes are newer than any line. All Boeing. Avg age is 3.5 yrs.

DD just flew airtran home yesterday from Ny. Said she would try not to fly them again. They were so disorganized, rude, and didn't know what was going on. She said the flight was fine, luggage arrived fine, just the counter help was where all the trouble was.

sunlover. My experience, about ten RTs, has been the exact opposite. In fact a gate agent in Miami went far, far, far beyond expected service. Yes, that was three fars. lol. Actually, I've been impressed with the spirit of

"team" in all my dealings with AirTran. But then, any company can get a less than great employee. They usually don't last. Generally, companies don't grow and expand giving crappy service. Look at Delta, United and USAir. I think all of them have had to reduce their domestic service to survive.

I need to arrive FLL day before my cruise in January.

Air Tran is half the price of others.

Anyone experienced with Air Tran's planes, service, reliability, baggage? connections -- ???

Would love to hear your experience -- thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am not exactly "experienced" with AirTran, but that was the air line that my family and I flew on , back in end of April.

There was five of us, we flew from FNT to FLL with a stop in Atlanta and back 'home' a week later.

Every thing was just right: the price, the people at the counter, on the plane, no missing or damaged luggage, on time.

I would gladly fly with them again.

Wes

We flew AirTran in November with 14 people. Never lost a bag, kids were treated very nicely and we enjoyed our experience. Would definitely fly them again. We had layovers in Atlanta and had no problems. (one connection was 50 minutes and we had no problems getting from one terminal to the other)

Yep, you never know, they were probably having a bad day!! I have been fortunate with all my flights probably over one a month, no problems. Sure can't beat Airtrans prices, haven't flown them yet, but I wouldn't rule them out either. We have to fly them out of Akron/Canton and just never direct flights. I try to avoid layovers if possible!!:) Good Luck

sunlover. My experience, about ten RTs, has been the exact opposite. In fact a gate agent in Miami went far, far, far beyond expected service. Yes, that was three fars. lol. Actually, I've been impressed with the spirit of

"team" in all my dealings with AirTran. But then, any company can get a less than great employee. They usually don't last. Generally, companies don't grow and expand giving crappy service. Look at Delta, United and USAir. I think all of them have had to reduce their domestic service to survive.

I can say the same about Delta that you say about AirTran, so it really is about personal experiences. Personally, I wouldn't fly AirTran, but that's my own bias.

As for the OP, quite honestly I would look to see which airline has the most options should you incur any delays due to weather, mechanical or whatever. The complaints you have heard about Atlanta are not unique to Delta, but every airline going through there, so AirTran can give you the same issues. I would be most concerned about making sure there are alternate plans available should you miss a connection.

I fly AirTran quite frequently -- just came home from Orlando to Boston and back. Fares are great, so is service. The only thing I don't like is that they charge --$60 pp -- to change a flight. I like SouthWest also and no charge to change fares. I've had better luck - and it often is just that -- with the 'discount' airlines than with the majors.

Archived