What do you do with your stuff when your in the water???

mattR

What do you do with your stuff(towels, camera, ect.) when your in the water? Are there lockers at most beaches? We will be at HMC,Tortola,St.Thomas,Naussa. More specific the Baths, and St. Johns.

As for cameras, I always take a disposable when at the beach since I don't want my good camera damaged by water or sand. I usually leave it in plain sight assuming that it would be of little interest to someone. As for money, keys, credit card, I store those in small zip lock bags and put them in my swim suit velcro pocket which keeps it from coming out when I'm in the water. Other than the towel we usually don't have much out that would be of interest to petty thieves. When you go to a beach when you're cruising, there isn't much to bring along. Unless you want to have to constantly guard valuables, it doesn't pay to bring anything to the beach that you can't live without.

We use a "water wallet" for cash, credit card, ship card, etc. It is a waterproof cloth pouch with zipper. I put our things into 2 waterproof ziplock-type bags and put in the wallet. Everything stays dry. I do not use the zip lock bags that you get at the grocery store....they do not seal as well. I buy the bags specifically for swimming/diving and they work great. They are much thicker plastic. As for a camera...I would not think of ever using anything but a waterproof disposable at the beach! It is usually with us in the water so we don't worry about it.

If you are going to the Baths on a daysail, they are usually very good about keeping things secure on the boat. (Depending on who you go with - we're going with Patouche). For St John, at Trunk Bay, I believe there are lockers for about $3 (it's been two years since we were there). However, we were there so early that day, there were less than ten people on the entire beach, so we felt comfortable leaving items there (we were there on a land vacation). Cinnamon Bay is a full service campground with showers, but I don't recall seeing lockers. Just be safe like you always are, as no place is crime-free. St John just deported three people suspected to be involved with two armed robberies on the east end in the past two weeks. I've been following that on another message board.

I use a divers bum pack to place any cash credit cards and such that I need to carry with me. I purchased it at a dive shop and I use it all the time. If someone wants to to steal my sunscreen, oh well, but that has never happened to me. I will usually carry my HAL provided bag and towel, so if that is stolen, I haven't lost too much! :cool:

I use a "Splash Caddy" wallet with a water proof Aloksak insert attached to the web belt on my snorkel vest. They are PADI certified. There's a variety of shapes and sizes:

http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/products.php?id=3

Don't ever take a good land camera near the beach. Sand and/or salt water will do permanent damage. Use a disposable "underwater" camera.

What do you do with your stuff(towels, camera, ect.) when your in the water? Are there lockers at most beaches? We will be at HMC,Tortola,St.Thomas,Naussa. More specific the Baths, and St. Johns.
Matt - there are lockers available for rent at the Baths on Virgin Gorda. Not sure where you are going on St John, but there also are lockers available for rent at Trunk bay. Not sure if they also have them at Cinnamon Bay

We also use a splash caddy for a little cash (for cab fare, drinks etc) and cruise ID's and one credit card. It really does work and keeps things dry. DH wears it around his waist under his swim trunks. we carry a cheat beach bag (one of those that you can roll up and zip into a small square) that we put towels and sun screen in. we never bring a camera to the beach.

Magellans has a great online site and catalog with lots of nifty travel gear..they sell the splash caddy.

While doing an online search for waterproof pouches, I came across one not currently offered in the US. You can see it at http://www.denko-world.com/?wpid=10103. It can be worn on the arm, neck or waist and comes with the appropriate bands as well as a mesh case to hold the pouch. If this were available would you be interested. It appears very easy to use.

Long story about how my mind works, but the wheels started turning and I am thinking about bringing some in to the US and selling them from my store, which by the way is not a traditional store for product like this. I guess you could say I wanted to use my CC friends thoughts on a product like this.

Thanks!

Erlene

Archived