Two-class System on Ships?

MandyGirl

Suite vs Non-Suite Social System?  

542 members have voted

1. 1. Suite vs Non-Suite Social System?

• Repeat history - "separate everything" based on cabin category
    • Keep cruises with MORE suite amenities (like two years ago)
    • Keep cruises more reasonably priced with FEWER suite amenities
    • I don't care - I'm just thankful to be healthy and on a cruise!!!

I think people who choose to pay for extra service are provided with that extra service. For the most part it is private and inobtrusive and does not impact anyone else, nor should it. Where someone sleeps on board is really of no consequence and no one's business....Ryansmemom

[font=Arial][color=darkslategray][b]One thing that does annoy me is when I'm in the dining room and sitting with other people that I don't know is when they get to discussing their accomodations and it gets around to me and they ask me what kind of room I have. I NEVER ask anyone what their accomodations are and how much they paid for their cruise and many many many times this comes up at the table and it REALLY makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to lie, I don't want to tell them it's none of their business and I don't want to discuss my accomodations because I don't want anyone to think I'm uppity.[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Arial][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][color=#2f4f4f]This is about the ONLY time I think passengers should be separated by "class". Not because I think I'm better than they or they are less than I, but because when the subject comes up, then that is an automatic divider for many people.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Arial][color=#2f4f4f]If I end up at a table with people like this, I usually don't end up eating in the dining room much after that.[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Sailure'][font=Arial][color=darkslategray][b]One thing that does annoy me is when I'm in the dining room and sitting with other people that I don't know is when they get to discussing their accomodations and it gets around to me and they ask me what kind of room I have. [/b][/color][/font]

[b][font=Arial][color=#2f4f4f]If I end up at a table with people like this, I usually don't end up eating in the dining room much after that.[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]
Why let someone else's boorishness ruin your experience? The Maitre d's are there to handle this type of situation - they'll gladly move you to a different table with a minimum of fuss.

And while I know I can't change your [i]feelings[/i] about this situation, remember that it isn't your statement that you're in a suite which turns your tablemates into rude idiots - they were that way to begin with! :rolleyes:

Interesting.
While on a cruise we've never asked our table mates, or been asked by them, what category cabins we're all in. Now, it has often come up that we've figured out what people are in based upon what deck they're on and what they have to say about how things are going.

In other words, those who use their TV to see outside, and who talk about how DARK it is when the lights are turned out, are all inside cabin people, like me. :)

Those who talk about someone trying to look in their window from the outside promenade are in Lower Promenade Deck outside cabins.

Those who mention that they woke up that morning and stepped outside, naked as a jay bird, only to get caught by the people passing us by on the [i]Leviathan of the Seas[/i] are in verandah cabins.

And those who mention that DH/DW was out of breath from running across the cabin to answer the door ... they're in the Penthouse.

Mandy, you are right on about ss Norway / ss France. Devon had the most marvelous lectures.

Back to the issue at hand --
We disembarked ms Maasdam today, and I had the same impression of a "class" system as I did from QE2 last year. That is, there really isn't one. Every passenger is free to enjoy all parts of the ship with the exception of a couple of small rooms reserved for those in the most expensive cabin categories. Unlike QE2, of course, our evening dining room was not dictated by cabin category -- the Rembrandt Dining Room accommodated all passengers. And anyone who wished could dine in the Pinnacle Grill.

As far as breakfast and lunch -- as so many passengers choose to eat in the Lido, we practically had the Rembrandt Dining Room to ourselves for these meals.

[color=darkorchid]Lisa -
Devon was not onboard our cruise, so we unfortunately did not get to hear his lectures. However, we had read so many wonderful things about him in the months leading up to our cruise! It was fascinating to see the unique attributes of the SS Norway (SS France) and thoroughly enjoyed our evenings in the Club Internationale! (Our cruise was 2 months before the explosion)[/color]
[color=darkorchid][/color]
[color=darkorchid]I find the poll results interesting. After I posted my question and read the posts that initially followed, I regretted ever asking it. Thinking of the "history" of cruises and tying that with all the questions that come across various HAL message boards asking about separate this-and-that, I put the two together to ask my question. It seems like there is a very small population that would like to see HAL move that way (suite versus non-suite), while a good population would like a return of the suite amenities that existed just a couple of years ago. (But there were people who did vote for suite vs non-suite - which answered my question). I did learn a lot by reading this thread though! And the poll results are definitely insightful! (Just being the curious cruiser that I am :) )[/color]
[color=darkorchid][/color]
[color=darkorchid]I hope you enjoyed the Maasdam! Last Thanksgiving was our first HAL experience (on Maasdam) and we really enjoyed it! I agree with your remarks about HAL. Although we have only been on four cruises, that was our favorite ship for various reasons. The next cruise is on Zuiderdam, so I am expecting that to be a slightly different experience from Maasdam based on postings here on CC.[/color]

[quote name='Sailure']I think people who choose to pay for extra service are provided with that extra service. For the most part it is private and inobtrusive and does not impact anyone else, nor should it. [/QUOTE]

Sailure, I'm with you on this! "Where someone sleeps on board is really of no consequence and no one's business...."

As for the people who discuss their accommodation and have the gall to ask how much I (or anyone else) paid for the cruise, I have no qualms about quietly stating that my personal business is something I do not discuss. Let them make what they will of that!!! People who ask such questions are sadly lacking in 'class' of any kind and deserve to be politely 'put down'. :(

[quote name='Cruiseoften']Sailure, I'm with you on this! "Where someone sleeps on board is really of no consequence and no one's business...."

As for the people who discuss their accommodation and have the gall to ask how much I (or anyone else) paid for the cruise, I have no qualms about quietly stating that my personal business is something I do not discuss. Let them make what they will of that!!! People who ask such questions are sadly lacking in 'class' of any kind and deserve to be politely 'put down'. :([/QUOTE]
remember there is always three classes on board, extra class, regular class and no class...any who asks how much you paid surely falls into the third group...

Are you serious? Have you actually had people ask you how much you paid for your cruise?

I would be shocked for someone to ask us. If someone were to ask me that question, they most assuredly would get a reply....just not the one they were looking for.

[quote name='sail7seas']Have you actually had people ask you how much you paid for your cruise?[/QUOTE]Yes, indeed! Hard to believe ... but true. I tell them that the cost was an agreement between me and my TA and no one else. Guess I was just raised different. A person's finances are their own business, and no one else has a right to inquire. Period.

That's so Rude!!! I would never have the nerve to ask someone what they paid for ANYTHING. Frankly, I really don't even want to know. Whatever I paid was acceptible to me or we would not have booked the cruise.

I think next time someone asks (since they are dying to tell me about the best deal possible that they got) I will tell them that I'm in the witness protection program and the government sends me on free land tours and cruises to keep me on the move. Hee-hee-hee. I'm a stinker! :D

I think it an outgrowth of the airline industry, and the fact that no two seats cost the same. People inevitably ask what I paid for my seat, either out of curiousity, or to be able to brag on their great deal. I always say I'm not allowed to tell. It is rude, but we have all commented on the downward spiral of good manners.

[quote name='Cruiseoften']Very serious! They then went on to detail their cost! :( :eek:[/QUOTE]Generally people do this to brag about the low fare they received. So I would just graciously listen. After they were done I would just say something like, "You must be getting excellent service from your TA to justify that price". And then I'd walk away.:D

Generally people do this to brag about the low fare they received. So I would just graciously listen. After they were done I would just say something like, "You must be getting excellent service from your TA to justify that price". And then I'd walk away.:D

;) :) :rolleyes: :D ....and I don't imagine you would seek them out later to join you for a cocktail!!!!

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]ALL RIGHT CRUISERS!!![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]I'm asking you right now - what did you all pay for your cruises?[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]This is serious talk here.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]HEHEHE[/color][/font][/b]
:D :D

[quote name='sail7seas']Generally people do this to brag about the low fare they received. So I would just graciously listen. After they were done I would just say something like, "You must be getting excellent service from your TA to justify that price". And then I'd walk away.

....and I don't imagine you would seek them out later to join you for a cocktail!!!![/QUOTE]Of course I would. I would allow them to purchase the first round and then point out that I purchased the same drink earlier as a 2 for 1 special.;) :D

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]I'm asking you right now - what did you all pay for your cruises?[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]Okay. You see, my TA was once married to this guy who was best friends of the second cousin of the ex-wife of the former manager of document processing at Holland America, and she was able to get me an S suite on the Rotterdam, 14-days, for just $375 PP. And that included airfare, all taxes, port charges, and a $175 PP shipboard credit! Was I ever one lucky guy!!! ;)

[quote name='Orcrone']Of course I would. I would allow them to purchase the first round and then point out that I purchased the same drink earlier as a 2 for 1 special.;) :D[/QUOTE]

[b]I Love it..........great!!! After the wonderful price they got, they have plenty of loose cash to be buying drinks for their new found friends. :D [/b]

[quote name='jhannah']Okay. You see, my TA was once married to this guy who was best friends of the second cousin of the ex-wife of the former manager of document processing at Holland America, and she was able to get me an S suite on the Rotterdam, 14-days, for just $375 PP. And that included airfare, all taxes, port charges, and a $175 PP shipboard credit! Was I ever one lucky guy!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

[b]You guys are good today.....love this one too. ;) [/b]

[quote name='revneal']Interesting.
While on a cruise we've never asked our table mates, or been asked by them, what category cabins we're all in. Now, it has often come up that we've figured out what people are in based upon what deck they're on and what they have to say about how things are going.

In other words, those who use their TV to see outside, and who talk about how DARK it is when the lights are turned out, are all inside cabin people, like me. :)

Those who talk about someone trying to look in their window from the outside promenade are in Lower Promenade Deck outside cabins.

Those who mention that they woke up that morning and stepped outside, naked as a jay bird, only to get caught by the people passing us by on the [i]Leviathan of the Seas[/i] are in verandah cabins.

And those who mention that DH/DW was out of breath from running across the cabin to answer the door ... they're in the Penthouse.[/QUOTE]

Rev--
You made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

As far as the proper answer to "How much did you pay for this cruise?"

"Nothing. I'm with him" (gesturing towards the gentleman seated next to me)

[quote name='revneal']...
[/QUOTE]
Hahaha. Revneal, you are just too funny sometimes! That would be my luck if I had a verandah and the morning sun enticed me to check it out before dressing. I might be tempted to just wave to the Leviathan people and then duck inside. After all, none of them would know me anyway, especially without my clothes. hahaha.

slinkie
:p

bepsf and Slinkiecat,

Something like that actually happened. Table mates once mentioned that one of them wandered out onto their verandah one morning without a stitch of clothing on just as they were passing a great big RCCL ship. She didn't, at first, think that anyone would notice her ... but then someone on the other ship began hooting and hollering and clapping. Seems they were spying the Volendam with a pair of binoculars, and were getting an "eyeful!"

:D

Archived